• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5v8cyd3WgY

Video of Day 3.

Oh god I'm fucking dying at how they handled that boss fight. This thing is so gimped it's hilarious.

Also, does the partner not even take hits at all? The AI doesn't even seem to focus on Neku when the player uses the partner pin sometimes. Maybe they are playing on Easy though.

Near-end game spoiler:
So then if they're gimping those boss battles like that, how the hell are they going to handle the Konishi battle?!

Paper scissors rock minigame.

Remy

For the sake of warning the rest of you: you know how you can run most iPhone software at 2X on the iPad?

You can't with TWEWY. The iPhone version is explicitly listed as not supporting the iPad. Won't install for me.

EDarkness

There was no way in hell I was gonna miss picking this up, so it's mine. Can't wait to play it later tonight when I get finished recording our weekly podcast. Then, curl up with TWEWY and a glass of strawberry milk. Good times ahead. :D

So, has anyone that played the original actually picked this up and played it?

All the impressions seem to be based on the crappy videos.

I picked up the iPad version, and I plan to play it at length on my train ride to Boston this morning.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So, has anyone that played the original actually picked this up and played it?

All the impressions seem to be based on the crappy videos.

I picked up the iPad version, and I plan to play it at length on my train ride to Boston this morning.
I posted a couple of short impressions of the first 2 days of the game in the iOS thread and I plan to continue after I play more, I suggest anyone actually playing the game to move there for discussion.

I think this looks pretty awesome and for once I am genuinely shocked at the backlash this is getting. I mean, I am aware of the overall iOS hatred and the countdown site building up expectations, but even so I think the lament for this is way out of proportion. It’s not like this looks like a half assed port, like FF Dimensions or an amature flash game, like Megaman Xover. It makes me a little irritated when I see the youtube dislikes for something I think looks like a fun, quality effort, because I worry about what kind of message it sends Square-enix.

As far as the actual game is concerned I’m excited to play it again. I never was able to grasp (and I know I’m not alone) the dual screen combat system so changing it up to be on a single screen is a plus. The high res sprites look phenomenal, especially with the full city view of 20+ people walking around at once.

The only thing I’m bummed out about here is that it’s not available for iPods. Apple really needs to refresh the now 2 year old iPod so it can keep up with the phone/pad.

I'd probably pick this up if I could, the DS version is ridiculously expensive everywhere. But hey! My iPod Touch doesn't support it. One of my main gripes with iOS gaming.

Dat fragmentation ;)

The future of gaming man. But honestly, I didn't think the game would be that technically demanding. I'll have to keep a close eye on the DS version becoming cheaper, and pick that up. It's always been a game that intrigued me, but I've honestly never seen it at retail.

Huff

Banned
Picked it up. It's still really fun. I didn't really enjoy the two screen battles of the ds version so this is perfect for me.

Conan-san

Video of Day 3.

Oh god I'm fucking dying at how they handled that boss fight. This thing is so gimped it's hilarious.

Also, does the partner not even take hits at all? The AI doesn't even seem to focus on Neku when the player uses the partner pin sometimes. Maybe they are playing on Easy though.

Near-end game spoiler:
So then if they're gimping those boss battles like that, how the hell are they going to handle the Konishi battle?!
Wait, what happened to the awesome Boss Death animation? Oh sod this nonsense.

Mario007

The future of gaming man. But honestly, I didn't think the game would be that technically demanding. I'll have to keep a close eye on the DS version becoming cheaper, and pick that up. It's always been a game that intrigued me, but I've honestly never seen it at retail.

But I thought iOS was a single unified gaming platform???

In all seriousness from what I've seen here you'll be better off with the DS versions. There's just more to it than the iOS port. Simply you can't beat 2 screens with 1 screen.

30926_109051262473254_1196724_n.jpg

"I'll just have a 3DS sequel"
"iOS port it is!"
"No... I said 3DS sequel"
"iOS... port?"
"3DS SEEEQUEL"
"POOO-OORT"
"3-D..."
"i-O..."

So are the people playing the game awful or is the combat system that slow this time?

I played the DS version religiously, and I've now played the first two days on the iPad. Remember, the game starts off slowly in general. You need to collect more pins and pin slots before you have a full arsenal.

However, not having the second character fighting up top does make the fights slower by default, since Neku needs to do all the damage now. I've found the controls competent, but a bit spotty at times. They were much more responsive with the stylus. Making the partner pin activate with by tapping an enemy is also a bit messy, because there are some pins that already require that (lightning, for example). This means it's a crapshoot what will happen when you tap: you may get Shiki attacking or your pin. It's not really problematic at all, but it is imprecise, an inelegant solution.

That all said, the leveling and collecting pin stuff is still addicting. The Twitter integration is neat. The game isn't retina on the new iPad, and it shows with some jaggies and artifacting. But, overall, it is nice looking.

I'm sorry, but this seems cool in my book. I don't know if I need it just now, as I just got a Kingdom Hearts I'm not playing.

I played through about 10 hours of the original DS version. I didn't get good at the combat, but I could see it being gratifying if you were able to master that.

Sushigod7

This is a pretty fair price shipping is reasonable as well. New & Sealed

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.116224500/categoryId.16256500/parentCategoryID.16256100#.UDuAMdZlRjg

Chunky

I hope S-E's put Jupiter to work on a sequel, else I'd be pissed at them being excised from the intro. Unless I'm overthinking their involvement with TWEWY?

Skilletor

I played the DS version religiously, and I've now played the first two days on the iPad. Remember, the game starts off slowly in general. You need to collect more pins and pin slots before you have a full arsenal.

However, not having the second character fighting up top does make the fights slower by default, since Neku needs to do all the damage now. I've found the controls competent, but a bit spotty at times. They were much more responsive with the stylus. Making the partner pin activate with by tapping an enemy is also a bit messy, because there are some pins that already require that (lightning, for example). This means it's a crapshoot what will happen when you tap: you may get Shiki attacking or your pin. It's not really problematic at all, but it is imprecise, an inelegant solution.

That all said, the leveling and collecting pin stuff is still addicting. The Twitter integration is neat. The game isn't retina on the new iPad, and it shows with some jaggies and artifacting. But, overall, it is nice looking.

This is true. It's the only thing I've had a problem with thus far (I'm only a little bit into day 2, though.)

colinp

Banned
This is true. It's the only thing I've had a problem with thus far (I'm only a little bit into day 2, though.)

Yeah, the fights being less manic is a plus as far as I'm concerned but I can see how some people would miss that.

I finished day 3 and am having a grand ol' time.

How do you set up twitter integration? It doesn't let me turn it on from the main screen under twitter... Do I have to wait a bit to get access?

Mit-

So you have a permanent partner pin that is always using up the "tap an enemy" pin type? And is there really no substitute pin option? The first game would've been nigh unplayable to me without the substitute option (hold a shoulder button to activate a different set of pins, to prevent overlapping touch functions).

Skilletor

So you have a permanent partner pin that is always using up the "tap an enemy" pin type? And is there really no substitute pin option? The first game would've been nigh unplayable to me without the substitute option (hold a shoulder button to activate a different set of pins, to prevent overlapping touch functions).

You can use alternate decks. I haven't unlocked it, but I believe Fuu posted it becomes available a bit later.

And, for example, I had the lightning Pin on. I tapped an enemy to attack them, and instead of lightning, Shiki came out. But while she was out, my lightning worked every time.

jcm

From the other thread:

I'm playing it on the iPhone and so far no issues whatsoever. I still can't provide in-depth impressions because I'm on the 3rd day, which means all the systems are still being unlocked one after the other, but all the pins available at this point + moving Neku around worked like they should just like in the DS version. I'm going to bed so unfortunately I have to stop for now.

Another thing, I was wondering if they'd scrap the sub-slot mechanic (optional feature for when you set pins with the same activation style in your deck), but it's still there. Instead of holding L or R to use the pins set to a sub-slot, you hold a "sub" button on the lower left of the screen with the thumb of the hand holding the device while you use the pin with the index finger of the playing hand. So stylus and button aside, pretty much the same way it was on the DS too.

Mit-

You can use alternate decks. I haven't unlocked it, but I believe Fuu posted it becomes available a bit later.

And, for example, I had the lightning Pin on. I tapped an enemy to attack them, and instead of lightning, Shiki came out. But while she was out, my lightning worked every time.

I wasn't referring to entire alternate decks. In the DS game, you could remedy your situation by assigning the lightning pin to a sub-slot. In battle, you could tap an enemy for Shiki, but while holding the left shoulder button, ONLY the lightning pin would be able to activate.

From jcm's post, it sounds like this feature is still in the game, and you should definitely try and utilize it to have full control over your pins in battle.

Skilletor

I wasn't referring to entire alternate decks. In the DS game, you could remedy your situation by assigning the lightning pin to a sub-slot. In battle, you could tap an enemy for Shiki, but while holding the left shoulder button, ONLY the lightning pin would be able to activate.

From jcm's post, it sounds like this feature is still in the game, and you should definitely try and utilize it to have full control over your pins in battle.

I understand, but Shiki isn't a pin you assign. Your partner is always there.

It's not a big deal, though, since you can tap twice really quick. Once to activate your partner, another for a tap to activate pin.

The games you listed are terrible, but not sf4. I'll stand by the fact the controls are great. I can easily complete all the trials for each character for example. Yes this is using short cuts, but hence the translation. Kof also controls great on an iphone (agree not ipad). On the other hand mvc2 and mortal kombat are complete junk.

Not sure about this game yet, but saying touch controls cannot be translated is in my view incorrect. Maybe for you personally, which is fine, but they can work for me and I presume others. I can understand your pov though, because games like bbs or sf4 on 3ds are unplayable to me due to my large hands.

Certainly, I never meant to make it seem like I was trying to make an objective statement that all iOS ports of console/handheld games have terrible controls for everyone. There's no way I can say that -- I can only speak for myself. For me, they've all been terrible (at least the ones that I listed), but if you've gotten more mileage out of some, then more power to you!

Funny thing, this might be the first instance where a port to ios actually changed a key component of the battle system instead of just trying to half ass some virtual sticks or w/e, which makes it really interesting.

Not sure if it's better or worst but it could very well be a great ios game instead of a 'subpar port of a great ds game'.

Just looking at screens and videos of this ios version, you could never tell this was originally a ds game, which makes this quite possibly one of the best 'reimagining on a different platform' games... ever?

Are there really any other examples of this?

True, I'm not sure there's ever been anything quite like this before in terms of iOS ports. Mega Man X might be the closest thing since Capcom really reworked parts of the game and how it plays overall to make the game a "better" fit for iOS... with completely disastrous results.

Square Enix's efforts here far outclass theirs, though, for sure.

Zia

Glad they didn't waste their time on a traditional handheld sequel. The iOS port looks pretty spiffy.

Skilletor

Yeah, I can understand not liking this because they changed a pretty significant portion of the DS game, but this port is very well done. It looks great, plays great, and seems to me to have had at least some thought put into it in getting rid of the 2nd screen.

It was a great game, and it still is a great game, but it's different from the original. The great thing is that this port existing doesn't mean the DS version has suddenly disappeared from existence, so go play that if it's a big deal. More people get to experience TWEWY. That's a good thing in my book. A very good thing.

Resilient

Glad they didn't waste their time on a traditional handheld sequel. The iOS port looks pretty spiffy.

I...buh...wah?

Aside from the fact that S-E have split the user base, and the over pricing, and two separate versions...this release is a good thing. A sequel would be nice, but at least this way Square can gauge interest in order to decide the scale of a potential sequel, as well as build a stronger fan base to ensure the sequel is a success. I expected iOS, and hell, I may even pick this up if it cheapens up a little. I always have the DS version if I want to play with that combat system.

EDIT: I swear I didn't read your post beforehand, Skilletor.

Skilletor

I...buh...wah?

Aside from the fact that S-E have split the user base, and the over pricing, and two separate versions...this release is a good thing. A sequel would be nice, but at least this way Square can gauge interest in order to decide the scale of a potential sequel, as well as build a stronger fan base to ensure the sequel is a success. I expected iOS, and hell, I may even pick this up if it cheapens up a little. I always have the DS version if I want to play with that combat system.

EDIT: I swear I didn't read your post beforehand, Skilletor.

:D

That just means it's true.

Put a couple of hours into this today. As someone who loved the original, I'm actually really digging this do far. It feels fresh to me thus far.

Also it's ridiculously good looking on the iPhone.

Spierek

Video of Day 3.

Near-end game spoiler:

To be honest, I think they've handled this quite alright. It's just the fact that the guy playing this is so ridiculously bad, it ain't even funny.

I can understand being hyped for this port if you're an iOS supporter but this is an incredibly inconsiderate statement to make towards those who supported the original DS release and were looking forward to a followup.

How would that have been a waste of time exactly?

Yeah that boss battle ain't too shabby.

Removing my card off my iTunes is probably the best decision I've made this month. Saves me so much from impulse buys.

I still might pick this up though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom