• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Archie said:
Has anyone bought Weapon of Choice? I was wondering how long the game is. I love the concept, gameplay and art style, but I don't know if I wanna spend 5 bucks on something that lasts an hour.

The game is not linear at first. There are, from what I can tell, 4 different stories you can go through, each with their own levels. The game starts in one level in which you can branch off into the other four from there. Each level is roughly 10 minutes long, and there are 3 or 4 levels each for each campaign (counting the first one which you branch though, which each has a completely different path and boss to fight).

The game also does not save, so you'll be sitting down for the half an hour you'll take to play it. The game is also pretty damn hard too :lol

Gowans

Had a read through your Community games stuff at work today Rlan good stuff. Man I need to get my 360 situation sorted by tomorrow morning.

Cianalas

DarkStar said:
What was the name of the super bloody 2D game with swords and guns

and when is that coming out?
Dishwasher: The Dead Samurai

I think it is slated for a full XBLA release.

edit: too slow :(

Kafel

Banned
So am I the only one who keeps getting "code 4" errors whenever I try to play Lines ?

It's very frustrating, it crashes right after the blue CG screen. And I'm sure I'd like this game and buy it.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Digital Limit said:
It's really unfortunate how ugly so many of these games are.

An art-bump can make a decent, simple game great.

Right, but not every self-funded garage game dev can find or afford great artists to create content for them.

The whole point of this exercise is that these aren't commercial games; this is as close to a garage game distribution system as you'll probably ever see on a major console. They're going to be a little shorter, a little simpler, and a little uglier, but there's far more heart and love put into these than most major games whose developers' day job it is to come in and work on a single segment of development.

Slavik81

nofi said:
I was under the impression you could have your own trial mode, we're planning on the first 20% of the game, for example.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:16 AM by ShawnHargreaves
# re: Trial mode in XNA Game Studio 3.0

> I was wondering if the demo mode could be ignored when releasing a game. If it isn't used, then, the complete game could be provided free of charge for players.

That is not currently an option. The basic trial mode experience is implemented by the system software, so you will get the timeout at the end of the trial period no matter what your game code does.
I referenced this earlier in the thread, but I figured since it's apparently been passed over, that I should post the actual quote.

I know yyr in person, he's brought Snake 360 over to a couple of get togethers with some other friends. I was lucky enough to try out some test builds, and I had a lot of fun playing it. The battle mode was usually the most popular mode, it gets pretty wild with 4 people fighting for the blocks. A lot of us would alternate between it and games of Gears. The game has a bunch of other features and modes, which I'm looking forward to getting a chance to sit down with it. I don't mean to sound like a viral marketer, but it would be a shame to overlook this game.

That said, a lot of these games look great. There seems to be a lot of *new* concepts out there that the professional game companies wouldn't dare to do. I'm really excited about that aspect more than anything. I feel like I have a compelling reason to play games again. Can't wait to try "In the Pit"... I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a blind gamer.

Brakara

Some sort of rating system is needed for Community Games. If not, there's going to be tons of stuff and it's going to be impossible to find the good ones. I mean, I'm really interested in this and I'm already overwhelmed (and not bothering downloading new trials anymore).

Gowans

Checked out some of the new guys and I really like the style and control of Galax-e-mail its ok from what I have played of the trial.

anyway

Galax-e-mail - 200 points
galax676.jpg

Galax-e-mail has you delivering e-mails by controlling a squad of spaceships battling its way through galaxies of increasing difficulty. You have powerups, multiple weapons and multiple ship types at your disposal. There will be explosions. There will be fast-paced battles between flocks of fighters. Join the fray and deliver some e-mail!
xna profile page

yyr

I tried out In The Pit yesterday when it was still in review and I must say... definitely a unique experience. It would probably make a good party game (once). Not sure about replay value but I had a good time with it...spent over half an hour on it and didn't quite finish, so it's not that short, either. Hard to believe for an audio-only game... I will most likely wind up buying the full game.

Thanks for the recommend, golduck, I appreciate it =) I can also say: to those people worried about spending $5 on a half-hour game...I guarantee that nobody here will 100% clear Snake360 in less than 5 hours. Prove me wrong!!!

Brakara said:
Some sort of rating system is needed for Community Games.

I am fairly certain that the XNA team is working on that, but they said they couldn't have it ready in time for launch.

Gowans

Brakara said:
Some sort of rating system is needed for Community Games. If not, there's going to be tons of stuff and it's going to be impossible to find the good ones. I mean, I'm really interested in this and I'm already overwhelmed (and not bothering downloading new trials anymore).

So far my picks to check out are

• Weapon of Choice
  • Blow
  • DUOtrix
  • Artoon
  • Word Soup
  • Lines
  • Galax-e-mail
  • Bloc
  • Organon
  • Colosseum

TripOpt55

Weapon of Choice looks really cool. Colosseum looks pretty good too, but 800 pts. is a lot I think. Lines looks fun too. Can't wait to try some of these. The Dishwasher was really good. I'm not surprised that's going the XBLA route. I had a blast with the demo of it when that was a available.

Grecco

Biology Battle is reeeallly good. Best XNA game ive played so far. A really cool take on the Twin Stick Shooter... These games dont have achievements do they?

Rlan

BIOLOGY BATTLE is now up or should be soon.

Creator:Novaleaf Software
Genre:Action & Adventure
Price:800 Points

Biology Battle is a modern, fast-paced take on the space-shooter genre. Fight in the competitive 'arcade shooter' action or through 12 multiplayer modes. Features: Global Leaderboards, VERSUS Multiplayer, Great Replay Value, High Production Quality.

Screens don't see to do it much justice. Check out the video here.

http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=2e21f961-8681-454c-8b14-9d673102f9e2&type=2

Apparently they've been able to work around the high scores thing too.

Grecco

Yeah it has leaderboards. Really awesome game. Wish they would have just made it an XBL title with achievements and stuff

Rlan

Well I seem to be the only one covering them right now >_>

It's nice that the creators.xna.com website actually updates with the latest games on there. If it's there it's either up or a few hours away :)

Gowans

nice spot Rlan, just before I hit the sack.

Great twin stick shooter, very pretty too, there are worse on XBLA.

Problem for me is its another twin stick shooter and 800 points.

Defiantly one of the most polished and professional games on there, so pretty and smooth.
(might have one more quick go before sleep)

Gonna be at work all morning tomorrow as all this is going on guess I'll have lots of reading to do.

Grecco

Gowans007 said:
nice spot Rlan, just before I hit the sack.

Great twin stick shooter, very pretty too, there are worse on XBLA.

Problem for me is its another twin stick shooter and 800 points.

Defiantly one of the most polished and professional games on there, so pretty and smooth.
(might have one more quick go before sleep)

Gonna be at work all morning tomorrow as all this is going on guess I'll have lots of reading to do.

Pretty much but its heads and shoulders ahead of most of the xna stuff. Im still stupefied by that IN THE PIT thing

Rlan

Grecco said:
Pretty much but its heads and shoulders ahead of most of the xna stuff. Im still stupefied by that IN THE PIT thing

In The Pit couldn't happen anywhere else, really :p

Certainly one of the strangest of the lot. Makes me think that Scott Sharkey would like it from 1UP.com

Kafel

Banned
There's already a lot of titles ready for the NXE launch :

4756e2733f03bccfb795ef39d466eca720081119001128.png

I hope Audiball will make that list, I really want to try it.

Grecco

Rlan said:
In The Pit couldn't happen anywhere else, really :p

Certainly one of the strangest of the lot. Makes me think that Scott Sharkey would like it from 1UP.com

Didnt Kenji Eno make a no graphics all sound game? Id be curious to hear Milky and Shanes talk on IN THE PIT actually.

I just think its silly. A Blind Monster. But hey its a dark pit too.

32 games!? Jesus Christ.

Japan needs to get in on this(if they haven't already). There's some pretty swell freeware shooters floating around that I wouldn't mind throwing a $5 at to get on my 360.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Well i think they show up as you playing it on the friends list so one would think with it having a little gamerpic icon it could be added to the gamercard as a "No Gamerscore" title if you bought it.

Artoon has its own little built in acheivements(Not real ones) More of them should do this.

yyr

I don't think these will show up on your profile. However, if one of your friends is playing one, you'll be able to see it in their status.

Snake360 does have 12 "fake achievements" as well. I call them "goals."

The game is currently in review...hopefully it will be approved by the end of tonight.

joey_z

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

3414251_Roy_Dies.jpg

Some very, very brief impressions of mine from the trials. No-where near as well thought out as Rlan's though. :lol

Abstracted - Tetris-esque puzzler. Visually very basic, but the game is sound enough. I had a bit of a blonde moment to start though and I couldn't work out what I was supposed to be doing. Will try the trial again.

Bad Atom - 3D space shooter - I liked the intro, very nice. Though the game totally doesn't fit it. :) For some reason the volume in this title was much lower than everything else and it was very hard to understand the voice work. The actually game is ok, but I found it hard to differentiate the enemies and work out what's going on. Deleted trial.

Beat It - It's Bop It, but in video game form. Can't see the appeal but it might be ok for local multiplayer if you're the competitive type. Deleted trial.

Being - Very basic platformer. Not a lot to say about this. Deleted trial.

Bloc - Shooter. Slick presentation from the menus to the game. Simple game but it mashed my brain due to the colours rotating with the orientation of the gamepad buttons obviously staying in the same place (try it, you'll get what I'm rambling about). Will probably buy this.

Blow - Puzzler. Looked quite interesting and I really liked the music. The flower / fairy effect was pretty cool too. I was annoyed by pressing B to progress through the tutorial (I'm pedantic like that). Will try the trial again.

Collosseum - 3D fighting game. Good visually but the framerate chugs in places. I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to be doing, but I'm sure this game will have appeal to fighter fans. Deleted trial.

Drift - Visually interactive screensaver. Interesting, but it was hard for me to see what affect I was having on it outside of the sliders. A simple tutorial of how to get the best out of it might have been an idea. Will try the trial again.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I LOVE the concept of community games, but there really needs to be a rating/feedback system. It's going to be near impossible to sift through the garbage to get to the good stuff in a month.

I keep getting a message that my parent account has not enabled access to user-generated content, but my account was promoted to an adult account several months ago. What's going on?

yyr

Snake360 should be arriving any time now. It passed Peer Review last night around 12:30 EST. I'm kind of surprised it isn't up already...it should hopefully be available sometime in the next few hours.

Biology Battle was taken down and put back into review. Something must have been found and fixed. I expect that it should hopefully be available by the end of tomorrow.

Enjoy Community Games today, everyone =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom