• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafel

Banned
They keep coming :

e0e1eca46d25f3b42018d6f16075466320081116222102.jpg
Alien Ambush, 200 points
3e94ebe28a22dbfc87f2d1c5cf79c8b720081116222102.jpg

eaf6071eb9398c3ada3284aad4c2fd2e20081116222102.jpg
Loot, Steal 'n Destroy, 400 points
e726ab8145b77bc01e93bb7e67e6402920081116222102.jpg

yyr said:
And now for a shameless plug:

My Community Game will most likely be available by Wednesday. It's called Snake360, and as you would expect, it's a snake game. But it's got 200+ levels, battle modes for up to 4 players, co-op, internet-based leaderboards and an Achievement substitute called goals (completing goals unlocks stuff). I've been working on it for almost a year and it will cost 400 points. You can see videos and read more info at http://www.snake360.com. I hope some of you will take a few minutes of your time to try it out =)

It's really unfortunate how ugly so many of these games are.

An art-bump can make a decent, simple game great.

Christ, some of these games look great.

yyr said:
2) Because the final size of my package is going to be over 50 MB (mostly due to the high-res textures and almost 30 minutes of music included), I cannot select the 200 MSP/$2.50 price point.

Help me understand this. Is it a rule that if your game is over 50mb you are not allowed to charge $2.50 or does MS take a bigger chunk if it's over 50mb and you are saying you need to sell it for more to compensate for that? Of course, neither could also be the answer... then you can just fill in the blank with the correct answer.

Gowans

I have just spent the first four min trial time limit on Loot, Steal 'n Destroy listening to the intro song :lol

Thats all I did tho the game needs two local player to run.

kbear

Wow, I had no idea about any of this stuff. What a stealth megaton...I'm blown away. All this stuff is out in just a few days too? Damn

Flunkie

Banned
This is starting to look more and more like a more expensive iPhone/iPod Touch App Store. Sifting through the crap to find the good stuff..

I hope I'm wrong though.

Rlan

I ended up finishing Being last night.

It's roughly 4 levels long, completable in about half an hour to an hour. As an incredibly simple platformer I had fun with it. I just wish it wasn't so ugly. I've no idea if getting all the coins does anything (I got 14 / 16).

200 Points for an hour's not so bad.

Lines seems to be the only game currently that has some variant of online leaderboards. The game will give you a password to put through onto their website:

http://www.edngames.com/

And you'll show up on there.

Flunkie said:
This is starting to look more and more like a more expensive iPhone/iPod Touch App Store. Sifting through the crap to find the good stuff..
I can't speak for how expensive the iPhone etc stuff is... but yeah, anything like this will rely on either sorting through the crap or going on recommendations.

On that note... Alien Ambush, don't bother. :)

Rlan

Blow (400 Microsoft Points)

Use wind to guide your bubbles safely to the exit. Journey though the magical canopy of the ‘Great Tree’ collecting ‘Flames’ with help from the Faeries. Experience 70 handcrafted levels and infinite procedurally generated levels for endless variety.

blow1.jpg

I've seen a little of this before. It's puzzles setting fans up blowing bubbles from what I understand. It was one of the special mentions from the XNA competition. Definitely looks up there with Weapon of Choice in terms of coherent design.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
They should really let the Devs decide the trial limit. With acheivements not being in these and no leaderboards with such a high price on some i see a good %75 or more of these never getting anywhere. I love the community games though but the way there doing the trials/cost really puts me off.

Also where the hell is JellyCar!?!?!? love that game. :D

Oh... and hopefully we'll see the re-appearance of Shuggy at some point. I played this back when it was a Dream Build Play competitor and fell in love with it. :)

yyr

Gowans007 said:
yyr: Very much looking forward to see your wosnake360, I was a beast at snake on the old Nokias, maybe this will be my third XNA purchase. Any details on online (friends) leaderboards?

If you complete a course, or after playing Survival mode, you'll receive a 16-digit code (numbers and A-F, it's not that bad). Bring it to www.snake360.com and put it in the Ranking area. Your score will be ranked among everyone else's. There will be separate boards for all modes, courses and difficulties, over 50 in all. It should be ready by the end of the week.

PhlivoSong said:
Help me understand this. Is it a rule that if your game is over 50mb you are not allowed to charge $2.50 or does MS take a bigger chunk if it's over 50mb and you are saying you need to sell it for more to compensate for that? Of course, neither could also be the answer... then you can just fill in the blank with the correct answer.

If a game is over 50mb, the game creator cannot select the $2.50 price point.

Rlan

yyr said:
If you complete a course, or after playing Survival mode, you'll receive a 16-digit code (numbers and A-F, it's not that bad). Bring it to www.snake360.com and put it in the Ranking area. Your score will be ranked among everyone else's. There will be separate boards for all modes, courses and difficulties, over 50 in all. It should be ready by the end of the week.

Are true, instant online rankings actually possible via XNA games, or will this have to do for now? Very few XBLA games have had any of their rankings reported outside of from your Xbox. I think Geometry Wars 2 might be the only one.

yyr

No, in-game Leaderboards aren't possible as of this time.

The only network communication possible with XNA on 360 right now is with other 360s via Xbox Live matchmaking. Communication with any other addresses, etc. is not allowed.

Flunkie said:

I hope I'm wrong though.
This. I am trying all the games now, and most of it I can't see myself paying more than 100 points.

When Graphics isn't your strong point, your gameplay better be up to the task to take the slack. Of the few that I've tried, DUOTrix, Endless Swarm, Lines are decent time killers. Drift is cool for like 3 minutes, but even as the creators said, this isn't a game, and there really isn't much to it. So why would I even pay 400 points?

But most of the attempts at 3D games are by far the worst. Fuel Depot 360 and Head Banger both put me to sleep before the 4 minute timer went up.

Rlan

Clearly as of right now, in this early stage, it's simply a market of unknown titles working by themselves on a simple project - see what they can do, and see how well it turns out.

It's also a matter on just how much time a creator puts into a project before they're bored with it. As previously mentioned, I used to run Sonic Fan Games HQ, where many MANY people would release demos of their little Click & Create or Multimedia Fusion title. Do you know how many people actually FINISHED a game? Very few of them, and that's with very simple tools and a ton of graphic libraries available to them.

Shit takes time, and these guys want results NOW. It's a horrible process but it's what we're dealing with here.

But look at what's being worked on right now: Hurricane X and Battle Tennis look great for 3D titles. They have actual art and design in them. Again, we're getting bombarded because people want to be in there at launch.

Rlan

And download full games, just need a US account and US points, which makes it a little more expensive but oh well.

Blow is awesome. It also seems to have somehow circumvented the 4 minute time thing. How's that work?

Colosseum and Totem are up. Artoon should pop up soon.

Gowans

Yeah I would agree with a couple of things here.

I think XNA's closest relation is the iTunes App store where Free - $5 dollars seems to be the sweet spot for people to bite. I can't see anyone (especially outside the niche) paying more for some of these titles so far. Hope they bring things down to this.

I'm sure more polished items will be up and well worth the 800 points - $10 (mainly things like all the small developed self published PC stuff).

No online leaderboards at the mo blows, its a big pull to me for these smaller games.

And the enforced 4 min trial time over the top of each games trial modes is a bit too much also.

Blow looks interesting will check it out before work.

Gowans

Well Blow is pretty damn good, its basically lemmings with bubbles and fans in a charming little fantasy forest setting.

Might purchase but that god damn 4min trial didn't let me past the tutorial!!!!

Colosseum is the first 800 pointer up? its a 3D Area beat em up with Two Human style controls, looks great visually and very polished with a character creator etc but its far far too slow. Felt like I was playing on 1/2 the speed mode. If they could bump it up to x2 if should be so much better.

Artoon is also up and excellent from what the timer would let me play. The art and sound are great it really makes an impact. Your a little blob guy and you bounce on a grid platforms to colour them in and then reach an exit. Its a little puzzly and platformy and the levels all have different music and graphical filters.

New Releases

Artoon - 400 points
artoon433.jpg

Artoon chronicles the adventures of Art as he bounces his way through a variety of visual artworks. Can you earn those elusive top rankings in this score-attack psychedelic platformer?
XNA Profile Page

Colosseum - 800 points
colos633.jpg

Fight your way to the glorious Grand Master title! Colosseum features a 6-level singleplayer-campaign and five different 1-4 player local multiplayer game modes, four of which can be enjoyed in teams. Take your time to master each of the four different fighting styles and their combos, picking up some new threads for your characters along the way. This is Colosseum. Enjoy!
XNA Profile Page

Totem- 400 points
totem824.jpg

Intense matching Totem destruction! Two game modes...survival and adventure complete with 28 levels and 4 elemental bosses.
XNA Profile Page

acm2000

some of these games look really awful, then some... like Blow, Artoon, Colosseum etc, look so polished its quite amazing, 800p tho? are they kidding themselves? these games should be 100, 200, or 400 max, cant wait to give them ago, however, as said already in this thread...

WHERE IS JELLY CAR!

Gowans

acm2000 said:
some of these games look really awful, then some... like Blow, Artoon, Colosseum etc, look so polished its quite amazing, 800p tho? are they kidding themselves? these games should be 100, 200, or 400 max, cant wait to give them ago, however, as said already in this thread...

Yeah there are reaching a little, defo not goign to fly for a lot of the stuff and definatly not with the expanded audience they get.

I would say take out the size = atleast this much option and give choices of
  • Free

The smaller amounts might even help with some people blowing there change.

acm2000 said:
WHERE IS JELLY CAR!

on the iTunes app store for free.

I cant wait to see what happens when everyone has them available on Wednesday.

Gowans

nofi said:
Our little attempt at a puzzler for XNA.

It's a little way off yet, but it's keeping us busy in the down time... ;)

nice nofi, I like the clean, spacey look, very attractive, hope its just as nice in motion, sure you will make sure it plays well.

Hope you go for the online option too.

You been checking out whats going on in the XNA stuff at tho mo?

Whats your thoughts on it and the implementation?

nofi

Gowans007 said:
nice nofi, I like the clean, spacey look, very attractive, hope its just as nice in motion, sure you will make sure it plays well.

Hope you go for the online option too.

You been checking out whats going on in the XNA stuff at tho mo?

Whats your thoughts on it and the implementation?

I'm not doing the coding, that's not my thing. ;)

It'll move like silky stuff, that's for sure. We're still messing with the scope (less balls per row, a random mode etc) and then once we're set we'll push to get the game done ASAP. To be honest, it's more of a taster to get our toes in the water and see if this is a viable route.

XNA, as far as I'm told, is pretty cool. We're definitely going for multiplayer, hopefully online, yeah, although that's harder to test.

Kafel

Banned
wtf ? DUOtrix (Duotris+) is 400 points now ?

Damn, I was planning to buy it when it was 200. I really shouldn't have waited.

Gowans

nofi said:
I'm not doing the coding, that's not my thing. ;)

It'll move like silky stuff, that's for sure. We're still messing with the scope (less balls per row, a random mode etc) and then once we're set we'll push to get the game done ASAP. To be honest, it's more of a taster to get our toes in the water and see if this is a viable route.

XNA, as far as I'm told, is pretty cool. We're definitely going for multiplayer, hopefully online, yeah, although that's harder to test.

Good stuff, yeah silky smooth or consistent frame rates can really stand out compared to some of the community games I have seen.

I'm looking forward to seeing some interviews with the XNA developers on what they think of the service and how it performs for us and them.

I have an idea and could put it together but its a big time investment for me and one thing I don't have a lot of.

Kafel said:

They can chop and change the prices like the iTunes store?
Hmm dunno if thats a good thing.

Wonder what data you get for your sales if you publish on XNA.
  • Trials downloaded?
  • Games Purchased?
  • How the other games and price points perform?

its good but 200 was fair I thought, 400 maybe too much, Price if definatly gonna be a dificult one here for a lot of people, I'm guessing a lot of discussion will come from it and I hope they are set to react quickly.

Kafel

Banned
Gowans007 said:
They can chop and change the prices like the iTunes store?
Hmm dunno if thats a good thing.

It might be a special case : the game was taken down and came back with a new name (maybe to avoid copyright problems with Tetris ?). The author has probably changed his mind about the pricing during the process.

edit : I haven't played Lines yet. : ( (code 4)

Kafel said:

Damn. One of the better games at 200 points. At 400, I'm hesitating.

yyr

If a game's gone down, it's probably because the author made one or more changes and wants to resubmit it. I saw that Brain Party in peer review last night...it must be the new version.

Stuff going into peer review now should still make it up to the Marketplace by Wednesday.

Digital Limit, Snake360 looks a whole lot better in motion than it does on YouTube. Once the game is up, grab the trial...I can't guarantee that you'll find it attractive, but it'll look a lot better.

Rlan

Galax-e-mail Is Up:

"Galax-e-mail has you delivering e-mails by controlling a squad of spaceships battling its way through galaxies of increasing difficulty. You have powerups, multiple weapons and multiple ship types at your disposal. There will be explosions. There will be fast-paced battles between flocks of fighters. Join the fray and deliver some e-mail!"

Falagard

Rlan said:
And download full games, just need a US account and US points, which makes it a little more expensive but oh well.

Blow is awesome. It also seems to have somehow circumvented the 4 minute time thing. How's that work?

Colosseum and Totem are up. Artoon should pop up soon.

Games are free to implement their own trial mode, but requires custom development. The timed trial is "out of the box" meaning that the developer doesn't have to do anything to get it to work - they can simply enable it with a checkbox and it'll automatically have a timed trial mode. That's why you're seeing most games with this type of trial.

yyr

Falagard said:
they can simply enable it with a checkbox

Actually, the timed trial mode is forced regardless of whether the developer implements it or not. ALL Community Games' trial modes will be 4 minutes unless the player quits early.

nofi

yyr said:
Actually, the timed trial mode is forced regardless of whether the developer implements it or not. ALL Community Games' trial modes will be 4 minutes unless the player quits early.

I was under the impression you could have your own trial mode, we're planning on the first 20% of the game, for example.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Has anyone bought Weapon of Choice? I was wondering how long the game is. I love the concept, gameplay and art style, but I don't know if I wanna spend 5 bucks on something that lasts an hour.

Rlan

That's Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, and that's coming out complete as an XBLA game, not part of the Community Games initiative.

From the quick look I had at Galax-e-mail it's actually quite a bit of fun. Simple, clean 2D graphics which actually look quite nice. It knows exactly what it is and has a bit of fun with itself.

Very soon two more games will pop up:

SMASHELL (400 Points)

xnasmashell.jpg

"Smashell is a score game with platform-like gameplay. Reach the highest score by taking advantage of several bonuses and upgrades, collecting coins and eating fruits, making combos and more!"

Video here

and In The Pit (400 Points)

inthepit.jpg

"An "audio-only" stealth action game. Control a horrible monster who lives at the bottom of a dark pit and eats the people who fall in!"

Video Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom