• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biology Battle is head and shoulders above every other community game I've played thus far, not sure I would pay $10 for it though...

Wow, I really like Artoon. There's a little tearing but it's a good looking game with some very different graphical styles between levels.

At 400 points it's joing Bloc on my buy list. :D

yyr

I found out this afternoon that there's a mandatory 48-hour waiting period from submission to release. Because I fixed a minor bug in the game on Monday night, it'll be a few more hours before Snake360 makes it up there.

Please watch for it, and enjoy when it shows up!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
yyr said:
I found out this afternoon that there's a mandatory 48-hour waiting period from submission to release. Because I fixed a minor bug in the game on Monday night, it'll be a few more hours before Snake360 makes it up there.

I was just looking for that game. I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes up.

Flyguy

yyr said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the revenue split on XNA games? Is that something you can talk about?

Grecco

Rlan said:
So now you've had plenty of time with them. thoughts?

Needs a way to grade them, some decent ones, some cool, some good, some weird, some bad. My biggest problem is the crazy range in pricing from 200 to 800 pts. Wish they had achievements and appeared on your gamer card

Its a begining of something awesome though. 6 months from now is when it will be something special imo.

ill dl as soon as the marketplace isnt so borked looking forward to it

Linkified

cjelly said:
Are Microsoft hoping to be able to grab some of these games, market them and promote them to XBLA status?

Thats up entirely for the developer if they want to, if they do though they have to go through the usual process of XBLA title and add achievements etc.

Rlan

5 new titles should be popping up very soon.

Crystal Crush, No Frills Sudoku, painball, Snake360, and Easy Golf (You can create your own course!)

Archie said:
I LOVE the concept of community games, but there really needs to be a rating/feedback system. It's going to be near impossible to sift through the garbage to get to the good stuff in a month.
Yes, definitely. I think for community games to be (near-) perfect, Microsoft needs to do three things:

-Add a rating system. A simple five-star system would be fine. Restrict ratings to people who actually bought the full game, so it's less susceptible to fanboy sabotage.
-Kill the pricing based on size thing. Let devs choose their own price.
-Allow for free games. Some people just want to get their game out to people, not make money. It's possible that free games would encourage an influx of half-assed crap, but the ratings should take care of that, especially since free games would have more potential voters.

The system is already remarkably solid, though. I'm pretty amazed that in such a short time we're at the point where a garage/bedroom coder can post a game up for review and be pushing it to an audience of over 12 million people in a matter of days. That would have been unheard of even three years ago. In a couple years time, I wouldn't be surprised if community games will have been the most influential feature of the NXE.

I really hope this takes off, and that MS isn't afraid to give it a bigger push when it does.

Kuroyume

Banned
Rlan said:

Artoon rules.

Weapon of Choice rules.

I want to buy both but I'm waiting for Capcom to announce their SFIITHD pricing first.

Btw, the four minute trial limit seriously needs to go. It's going to really ruin things for some of these devs.

N.A

Banned
These are all either up or about to go up:

Crystal Crush
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=ff4ced5c-279f-41b1-af3a-37262d1758fa&type=2

Description:
Merge, match, join or destroy all the shiny colored crystals playing with the 4 game modes. Collect the diamonds to dominate the game. Once you master the game play against a friend and flood him with a load of crystals!

Screen:
2q8buo7.jpg

No Frills Sudoku
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=3adccdb1-178f-4ab0-bd2a-44a852a1b9cf&type=2

Description:
Challenge yourself with a classic game of Sudoku, a logic-based number placement game. Thousands of unique puzzles are at your fingertips.

Screen:
357ja6t.jpg

painball
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=e541be75-77b4-4cc4-8d52-eb4ab4665266&type=2

Description:
Dare you enter the PainBall Pyramid and take on eight very red, very mean, and very flat, AI players in a game of paintball? Evade with sprint, instant jump right or left, and duck!

Screen:
b4ajpt.jpg

Snake360
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=032f80c7-6bcd-471f-be12-6ca1dc6cf308&type=2

Description:
Fast-paced arcade-style Snake game with over 200 levels, co-op play, battle modes for up to 4 players, Internet Ranking, full 3D graphics and a pumping soundtrack!

Screen:
168ecs4.jpg

Easy Golf
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=2c541e1f-5da4-4c7d-9a99-beaf66f713cb&type=2

Description:
Create golf courses and share them with friends online through XBox Live. The incredible course editor allows you to easily create fun and playable golf course holes in minutes. Play against your friends online and watch their golf balls fly around on your created course in real time. Laugh, smile, and enjoy an amazingly fun experience playing Easy Golf. Easy Golf is for people of all ages.

Screen:
m780vn.jpg

Fatal Abyss
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=73db7f67-7c01-4acf-9e51-2e5e2881e95a&type=2

Description:
Fatal Abyss is a top down shooter in the vein of classics such as Galaga but with some modern twists. Automatically adjustable AI makes the game challenging for players of all skill levels. Raise your combo meter and get the highest score! Filled to the brim with codes and secrets, Fatal Abyss will keep you coming back for more!

Screen:
jjuxb9.jpg

N.A

Banned
nofi said:
Wow, Easy Golf looks gorgeous.

Watch the trailer (http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...=2c541e1f-5da4-4c7d-9a99-beaf66f713cb&type=2), the course editor looks pretty good. I just hope the frame rate is better than it is in the video.

Kafel said:
I saw that Audiball, the game playable with a guitar (200 points), will be released soon as well.

Yep.

Audiball
http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/GameDe...d=a1530ad1-8448-4b79-a376-b6c01107158b&type=2

Description:
In the world of Audiball, sounds become audible when tiny spheres known as "audiballs" pass through them. Use your guitar controller in a new and interesting way as you trigger sounds to guide the audiballs through each track, producing music as you go.

Screen:
2u6few0.jpg

Gribbix

Gamasutra has posted a good interview with Weapon of Choice creator Nathan Fouts regarding his game, his decision to leave his job in professional game development (ex-Insomniac programmer), and why his game is an XNA Community Game and not an XBLA game:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/11/qa_from_resistance_to_xna_comm.php

Can you talk about that decision-making process, and your expectations?

NF: It's a hard thing to talk about, but I'll just tell you, we got refused from Live Arcade. The initial game didn't look as good as this one.

Basically what happened -- and this is for everybody else who's thinking about it -- we went in, we pushed the game through to them, and they thought it was really interesting and fun.

But they thought the art style just wasn't enough, so we actually took that and spent a month and a half redoing just about every single thing in the game, and it was just horrible.

What I did, initially, was really static, and since then I've re-animated everything -- all the trees, all the grass, everything moves. I've had Xbox people say it's even stronger now, and because they want to bump up Community Games, they want to keep it on Community Games!

I'm cool with that, because I like Community Games. But it's been tough. I wanted it on Live Arcade -- or I thought I wanted it on there. But this whole thing's been a blessing too, so it's really come out great. And the [Dream Build Play] contest was pretty amazing, so I'm really excited about the whole thing.

these community games turn the 360 into a spiritual succesor to the Amiga

it's probably not for everyone but I grew up playing to pretty rough games so I'm ok with it. At least the originality is intact.

Zachack

Rlan said:
The system really, REALLY needs an autodownloader because there are so many titles that I don't want to have to initiate download on each one. It won't be so bad once the load on the MS servers is eased, but I'm personally willing to try all the games and want to be able to just have them pop up in my big XNA list. Also, the timer needs to be doubled.

Blow seemed good, and I'll almost certainly buy it. Origamus or whatever looks pretty but is kinda boring. Same with Atom Smash Episode 1 or whatever it was called (very boring). Still many, many more to try.

Lastly, the price range needs to be heavily expanded. I don't know why MS has the point system which forces me to buy strange numbers of points yet doesn't let me spend the points in bizarre increments which would trigger me to need more. That said, I doubt I'll be willing to pay more than $5 for anything I've seen, and a lot of them need to be like $1. For $1-1.50 I'm willing to buy almost anything thrown up there, even as a show of support for a fledgling dev, but $2.50 is just past the barrier, $5 is up against iffy/old XBLA games and I therefore start to question the purchase, and for $10 I'm basically going to demand an XBLA-level game.

lulz. . .In the Pit. . .lulz. I now have hope that some day I too can be a game creator.
If you go way back to before Starship Titanic was released, Douglas Adams said he wanted to make a game (adventure I think) that was entirely sound-based. No visuals.

I just want to know what happened to Culture. I rather liked it when we had the little XNA preview a while back, and when I got into the NXE it was already taken off. What have you done with it, MS?

N.A

Banned
Peronthious said:
I just want to know what happened to Culture. I rather liked it when we had the little XNA preview a while back, and when I got into the NXE it was already taken off. What have you done with it, MS?

Typically the author chooses to take them down to fix a bug, they then have to go through the approval process again.

Doodis

Zachack said:
The system really, REALLY needs an autodownloader because there are so many titles that I don't want to have to initiate download on each one. It won't be so bad once the load on the MS servers is eased, but I'm personally willing to try all the games and want to be able to just have them pop up in my big XNA list. Also, the timer needs to be doubled.
I'd be happy if they even let us download from the marketplace on xbox.com, but I don't see the option anywhere.

yyr

Gowans007 said:
where's all the new games today, looks like they haven't pushed the OK'd ones out today.

There is some sort of issue preventing the Approved games from reaching the Marketplace. Snake360 was supposed to be up sometime last night, but it is currently in limbo, along with every game you see above. Currently there are 9 games affected by this.

Furthermore, some of the games that passed Peer Review are not moving to Approved status.

Pheel on the XNA forums said:
We are investigating. I'll let you know when we have an update
Phil Smail, Program Manager, XNA Community Team

I (and the other creators I'm sure) appreciate everyone's patience.

Gowans007 said:

Wow, Being looks exactly like the freeware PC game Happyland Adventures.

like, ripoff-exactly.

happyland.PNG

i hope the two are related, because if not, that is some shit. because Happyland Adventures is one of my favorite games ever. and free. and awesome.

I would love to see some sales data for these games vs. XBLA games. I guess I will have to wait for that. Hope they do just as well. The ones that deserve it at least.

Also, what does this mean for XBLA?

How is a community game different from an XBLA game if they are both of equal quality and both the same price?

weapon of choice is amazing! buy this shit people.

the variety provided by the 6 or so characters is unmatched. each one has a unique double jump, basic attack, and alternate attack, while several characters have their own special abilities as well. the chainsaw chick is fun, though she is clearly one of the easier ones to use. her screw attack jump is a cool little metroid homage, too. speaking of which, what do you guys think of the spider ball-esque wall climbing mechanic? navigating the environments is a breeze, and it really makes me feel like a one-man ass kicking army.

i never seem to finish single player games these days, yet i've already gone through weapon of choice multiple times on hard. the enemies and their attacks are extremely varied, having multiple paths is great, and each character brings a whole new experience to the table. i recommend just starting on hard, which simply adds more monsters to the levels. it's not a long game, but it's so satisfying to play.

here's hoping we get a sequel on XBLA, as these guys certainly deserve it.

JodyAnthony said:
Wow, Being looks exactly like the freeware PC game Happyland Adventures.

like, ripoff-exactly.

i hope the two are related, because if not, that is some shit. because Happyland Adventures is one of my favorite games ever. and free. and awesome.
Wow, that is uncanny. Maybe they both used the same free tileset or something?

Dark Octave said:
How is a community game different from an XBLA game if they are both of equal quality and both the same price?
I think community games are subject to quite a few more technical limitations than XBLA games (no online leaderboards, online multiplayer, DLC, achievements, avatar support, etc.) And XBLA games are advertised on the Spotlight/Game Marketplace, which community games probably won't get. But it also looks to be much easier to get a community game vetted than it does to get an XBLA title through certification.

Functionally, I'd bet they could be pretty much identical if they didn't rely on any online features.

yyr

Dark Octave said:
I would love to see some sales data for these games vs. XBLA games. I guess I will have to wait for that. Hope they do just as well. The ones that deserve it at least.

Creators will have direct access to some sort of sales data for their own published games, but it's not up and running yet.

Dark Octave said:

My personal opinion is that Snake360 matches other XBLA games pound-for-pound on features, and that it is completely worth the $5 asking price, despite it not being a graphical masterpiece. I have sampled some other Community Games that are very polished and professional--and worth their asking prices--and some that are not.

At the moment, I'd say the main difference between Community Games and XBLA, besides the lack of Achievements and in-game Leaderboards in the former, is the difference in quality control. It is certainly true that bad XBLA games are out there, but you at least know when you're buying one that it's been thoroughly tested by professionals. The Community Games you'll be buying, on the other hand, have gone through all different levels of polish.

Over the 11 months I developed Snake360 I was constantly demoing it at parties and other gatherings, calling upon friends to help test, showing it to a wide range of people, etc. For those of you who reach the credits, you will find a lot of names under "testing/input." I feel that the game is very polished and I'm confident that all of the major bugs and issues have been squashed. However, Snake360 remains untested by a team of professionals. Is there something I missed? I can't bet my life that there isn't.

I have seen games submitted to peer review that still have crash bugs. Most do not make it through review, but there is always a chance that we will miss things...after all, we're not professionals. Also, one reviewer submitting a crash bug does not guarantee that the game will fail the overall review. Yesterday, I was able to crash one of the games that is due to be released today! Granted, it was a fairly obscure bug that most players won't find, but it's there and it will be for sale.

Furthermore, XBLA games have standards. They must run in high-def, they must not crash, the menus must be set up a certain way, the fonts must be large enough to read on SDTVs, the developer must take care to make sure that nothing runs offscreen on an SDTV, the interface must be clear and easy to understand, and more. XBLA games MUST live up to these or they don't get released. With CG there are no standards. Games might have interfaces that you're not used to, or that don't make sense. Some features may not work as expected. Does the game pause automatically when the Guide is opened, for example? It's supposed to, but in CG that is not mandatory.

So that, IMHO, is the main difference. Community Games is an experiment and a lot of good things will come from it, and you will have a lot of fun. But please keep in mind that it is still a bit of an experiment at this time. If you buy something and you find a bug, or have an issue, please report it. You'll find that many of the games have their own homes on the Internet (like www.snake360.com!) and you can certainly voice your opinions there, but all of the games will automatically have a forum thread on xbox.com, and that's also a good place to post your findings.

By the way, to those folks asking about games that were online during the XNA beta: it is up to the individual devs to resubmit those games. All of the games were wiped off the service when the final version went live. I'm thinking that the reason is that XNA 3 is required for the final Community Games, and the old games were all made with XNA 2.

btw, rohlfinator, CG can have online multiplayer. It's limited to Xbox Live sessions, though. We can't program our games to communicate with any outside servers. That is the main limitation.

alanias

Any possibility of DLC with community games? That golf game looks sweet and if its course creator is awesome it might be cool to get additional tools/objects via DLC.

IoCaster

I really liked Word Soup. Tried it for like 5 minutes and bought it. I'm really pleased with this XNA/CG stuff. Things are looking good for casual and innovative games on this platform.

Grecco

Bunch of new games came out including snake 360 and some sinsurfing thing

I got a strange error playing the game. It said the game unexpectedly quit working go to the dash try again

yyr

Snake360 (along with most of the other games due to be released today) is now available!!

Go play! And please post your feedback!

Grecco: which game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom