• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BiasedGamer said:
A.

It looks like you followed brain_stew's advice and added better texture filtering, right?

Comparison
2mnqhbo.jpg

Just seen it myself, looks much nicer. Good work! :D

brain_stew said:
Just seen it myself, looks much nicer. Good work! :D

Thanks for the input. It helped out a lot. You can see it in motion here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ielMNBL7i1Y

The video capture seems to be a bit jittery at times but is pretty good quality.

...and thanks for the input on the screen shots everyone. I went with option A.

Also...for who were wondering Pixel Boarder should be in peer review sometime next week.

@Anso

I started peer reviewing Office Politics and checked the credits. Nice job on the tunes.

Anso

toythatkills said:
That's awesome. Not only the review, but the fact that an Indie game is getting some proper press for once!

Word, the good XBLIG titles needs more coverage like.. RIGHT NOW!

In other news Kaleidoscope (DBP09 finalist which I composed the soundtrack for and helped design) is FINALLY entering the final stage of playtesting. The PAX demo had severe loading issues that has now been remedied, one of the worlds have been completely remade, graphics have been polished, additional mechanics and content have been added and it's looking good.

Hopefully, depending on peer review, it will be out some day between christmas and new year's for 240MS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so apparently avatar golf is gonna be todays dotd

barkers crest did u have any say in this? its surprising that theyre advertising an indie game

Anso

Nelo Ice said:
so apparently avatar golf is gonna be todays dotd

barkers crest did u have any say in this? its surprising that theyre advertising an indie game

Not in all XBLIG regions though, this makes me sad.

Also it might be surprising but it's an awesome thing, I hope it will continue in the future.

ShapeGSX

I'm amazed at how easy it was to get my game ported over the the 360. Just a few differences regarding the size of the rendering buffer that I cleared up by setting the preferred resolution. They really did a great job with this framework.

ShapeGSX

I just emailed Major Nelson about covering Indie Games on his podcast.

major@xbox.com
Hi Larry,

I have noticed that a number of really good Indie games have been released recently, like Arkedo Series 03: Pixel . I was wondering if you could talk about a release or two every week on your podcast. Just brief mentions with impressions or what the game is about, etc...

Perhaps line up some interviews with Indie game teams or individual devs?

I know you have a lot on your plate with the podcast, already. But you do have 4 people now, including StepToo. ;-)

As someone who is just starting out using XNA, I've noticed that a lot of Indie devs have a hard time getting the word out about their games. Your podcast could really help them out. And an increase in sales is beneficial to Microsoft, the XBox, and the Indie community in general.

It really feels as though Indie Games is on the cusp of something really great. Give it a shove in the right direction!

Thanks!
GT: ShapeGSX

And I got a one line answer back!

Thanks Josh. Let me see how we can do this !

That actually sounds pretty promising to me!

He has a lot of listeners. Hopefully a spotlight on his podcast would raise awareness.

Played few indie trials last night.

Arkedo Pixel feels great. I will give it one more whirl before almost certainly buying it. These guys could release a platformer every month and I'd bite. They have just nailed the retro aesthetic. I never thought chunky pixels would be so lovely on my HDTV. :lol I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I would love to see a decent Monster World/Wonder Boy-inspired platformer on XBLI. I would doubly love to see Arkedo as the devs to bring it to us.

Also tried Barker's home run derby game. At first it seems like little more than a time-the-single-button-press game but the scoring aspects make a little deeper. Still a fairly shallow deal but probably worth a dollar. Damn near anyone could pick it up and have fun for a few minutes. I might buy it just so my little nephews could play it when they come to visit. It is kind of addicting...

I also tried Leave Home. It's probably one of the best-looking indies so far. It's really, really slick, clearly inspired by Rez. However, I don't think I "get it." I'm not a huge shmup player anyway and I couldn't figure out what was killing me some of the time. The info screen says there are multiple areas with a five-minute time limit, but the demo shifts you between two areas in just about two minutes. Is that for the demo only? All in all, I just felt a bit lost...

KAOS

Treated myself to some indie games this Christmas.
Picked up the GAF highly recommended Arkedo series and some others.

Arkedo 1. Jump!
Arkedo 2. Swap!
Arkedo 3. Pixel!
Beat Hazard
Border Wars
Leave Home
Platypus

Hopefully Twin Blades will be out soon so I can pick that up as well.

besiktas1

Ughhhhhhhh I just found out the price.....

I just spent 400pts on Total Monarchy by accident! Merry-fucking-Christmas :*(

Games I could have bought instead:
Archedo Jump! + Johnny Platformer + Miner Dig Deep or
Pixel + Fishing Girl + KAITEN PATISSIER
Monkey Island: SE or
Magic (tomorrow) or
The list goes on....

note to self: be more careful, what a stupid, stupid mistake.

Noogy

besiktas1 said:
I just spent 400pts on Total Monarchy by accident! Merry-fucking-Christmas :*(
Hehe, I accidently bought Swords and Monsters when I was trying the demo. Anyone who has played that knows my pain.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm finally delving into the world of XNA and enjoying it so far. I just played I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 and laughed pretty hard. :lol

But dammit MS, with the next dashboard updates organize the Game Library better so you can filter demos by indie, retail, or arcade.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So anyone try out Jewelry Master Twinkle yet?: http://bit.ly/jewelmaster

xboxboxart.jpg

It's interesting having a game from Arika posted to Indie games. Maybe they'll put up the Street Fighter EX games next? XD (Skullomania-sized laugh!) This seems to be an XBLA port of a PC game.

A unique puzzle game, if a little weird. I expected a color match game, but it's more of a fancy Tetris!

And you even get to "date" the girls as you play, as the description says. (-_-; ) This seems to be new to the 360 port, from what I've seen. And they apparently "change costume" too! (o_O) I didn't do too well with the trial, so I didn't get to notice much more than the fact that the normal mode girl seems to know you from school, and she didn't expect to see me here! (where ever "here" is.)

I found the music enjoyable too (I swear I've heard it in Technic Beat...), but I don't think I wanna spend 400 pts on this immediately, with all the other indie games I could get for the amount. Still, found it cool to see something from former Capcom employees pop up on the Indie channel.

omg rite said:
I'm finally delving into the world of XNA and enjoying it so far. I just played I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 and laughed pretty hard. :lol

But dammit MS, with the next dashboard updates organize the Game Library better so you can filter demos by indie, retail, or arcade.

Why would there need to be a filter? Every indie and arcade game has a demo...

Urishizu

Happy Day! My first Indie Game, Venatio Creo: The Game Development Platform for Non-Programmers, has been released to the Marketplace!

screen.jpg

You can download it off XBLIG right here!

Please let me know if anyone tries it, or if they have some feedback. I already have the first patch storming through peer review to fix a few issues people reported.

I've played several of the latest Indie games and a few of them stand out.

Along Came a Spider - This is a neat little platform game where you control a "rolling" fuzzy spider. You have the ability to stick to most surfaces, and also the ability to shoot silk and swing from it. It's fun to play and the music is great. I was all ready to purchase it until I saw the full game price of 400 pts. Sorry, it's just not that good. Like it or not, 400 pts is the "deluxe" price on Indie games now and it just seems expensive. I heartily recommend that you try it out, however.

Office Politics - I don't expect anyone but myself to "get" this game, but its basically a humorous "simulation" of working at a new job. The writing is funny, and there's some great satire here. It's only 80 pts so I picked it up.

Creed Arena - This is a first person or third person overhead (switchable) arena shooter. Sort of an Unreal Tournament with the option of twin-stick overhead controls. It's actually pretty well done for this type of game on Indie games. It needs more polish for sure but I think it's worth a look if you find Indie games interesting. Unfortunately the 400pt price rears its ugly head again.

Twin Blades - This is a beautiful 2.5D action game with beautiful hand drawn art and some nice 3D characters. It's chick vs. Zombie, which is cool, but unfortunately the combat feels really shallow and simple. Beautiful to check out, though. Only 240 pts.

Battle Beat is worth checking out. Sort of rhythm-action-shooter, apparently designed for music game controllers. PIXEL is awesome, obv.

Anso

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Office Politics - I don't expect anyone but myself to "get" this game, but its basically a humorous "simulation" of working at a new job. The writing is funny, and there's some great satire here. It's only 80 pts so I picked it up.

How's the music?

Anso

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Sorry, I meant that it's fantastic. :)

Seriously, I probably just wasn't paying attention. I'll play it again and then report back with my opinion.

Haha no problem, I just wanted an honest opinion!

Neuromancer said:
That's the safer way to ask. :D

But then you'd get a lie :eek:

I just tried Hazardous Gas Unit and I'm not sure I really get it. You get loads of random sections of pipe and you have to build a pipe from a red arrow to a green one. But you can just use straight ones/corner ones and dump all the T/X-junction ones at the sides so you can't lose. I don't think I'm doing it right.

RadarScope1 said:
I also tried Leave Home. It's probably one of the best-looking indies so far. It's really, really slick, clearly inspired by Rez. However, I don't think I "get it." I'm not a huge shmup player anyway and I couldn't figure out what was killing me some of the time. The info screen says there are multiple areas with a five-minute time limit, but the demo shifts you between two areas in just about two minutes. Is that for the demo only? All in all, I just felt a bit lost...

Can anyone who has purchased Leave Home help me out on this? Is there a forced death right after the scene changes in the demo? It happens at the exact same spot every time.

Anso

RadarScope1 said:
Can anyone who has purchased Leave Home help me out on this? Is there a forced death right after the scene changes in the demo? It happens at the exact same spot every time.

Yes. It's a shorter timer because the game is only a few minutes long. Well worth a purchase though, the best game on the system at the moment in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom