• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3nmilez

I noticed that Tobe was a project for some Singaporean university, the artwork and humor kind of reminds me of VGCatz, but I guess the style is also very "Singaporean" in a way. The game is competent and I ended up converting since it's not so expensive and I want to support these kinds of things, but yeah, I think I'll wait for the patch before making too much progress. The controls are too finicky, especially when you have to make the dash up to the entrance at the end and collect the missing bonus items. You don't have that much time so messing up a couple of jumps can make it impossible to escape.

Time K was a huge disappointment! I wanted to enjoy it since the game looks good and is well-programmed, but there are so many amateurish faults with it that make me wonder if he ever did any serious playtesting. The game is annoyingly difficult, the foreground graphics cover up enemies leading to cheap deaths. It's possible to make a level unbeatable if you don't time things correctly, and there isn't enough of a sense of urgency to justify the short time limit in a level. This was all noticeable within the first few levels too!

I've been playing that Arika puzzle game for some time now though, it's actually a lot of fun once you get the hang of what you're supposed to be doing. I also really like the music of the game. 400pts might be tough to swallow, but it is a pretty original take on the puzzle genre and it's a good way to kill some time. The game really could have used a tutorial though, the instructions are difficult to understand and it can seem very confusing to play if you just jump in, which is too bad because the mechanics are actually pretty simple. The "Another" difficulty is also very annoying, I hate it when pieces just fall instantly in puzzle games like this, makes it very difficult to set up complex chains.

DodgerSan said:
There's a new indie game called Abaddon up. Has live co-op (a first for xna games?) and a lot of decent ideas in it. The hardcore shmup crowd will probably enjoy it. For me though it's ruined by the lack of learning curve - it's just brutally difficult straight off the bat. This is a shame as there's a lot of good stuff in there that I'll never get to see. If it can be updated to ramp up the difficulty more gradually it could be really good.

Main reason for posting about it though is that I know the guy who did the music. I know he'd appreciate honest criticism, so see what you think.

I didn't find Abaddon that difficult, but it seems too confusing for its own good. Lots of menus and shit to customize, the game really isn't that complex but it gives the opposite impression. The lack of a story mode also seems disappointing, the idea of having to protect a giant spaceship through battles could have had a lot of potential for interesting scenarios. Good boxart tho!

Having played Pixel Boarder and TimeK, I'm going against popular opinion, I actually really like them both.

Pixel Boarder just has style. The graphics are hot, the music is excellent, and while that can't make up for bad gameplay, I think the gameplay is spot on. It's going to take a while to get used to the controls, certainly, but it feels kinds Trials-y in how you have to land jumps and lean into them and stuff. Maybe it would've made sense more if the controls were all mapped to one analog stick rather than the two, though. Unless that's an option, I forgot to check. There are only four real moves so putting it on one stick would've been doable. It's just hard is all, it'll be an utterly awesome game for anyone that puts in the time to learn it.

TimeK, Love it. The flaws that people are complaining about, one hit kills, low time limit, I think you're just playing it wrong. Or rather, you're expecting it to be something it's not. It's not a platformer, that's just what it plays like. It's a puzzle game, it's about working out how you can beat each level in a minute and then doing it, and it's absolutely perfect at being that game. As for making levels unbeatable by letting platforms go too long, etc, well that's all part of the puzzle. You need to work out that that was wrong way to do it and fix it next time. As for hidden enemies, there was an ant-thing that was slightly hidden but I could see it there, certainly. Even so, you'll never lose more than a minute of progress and it'll be in the same place next time.

It looks stunning too.

mujun

toythatkills said:
Having played Pixel Boarder and TimeK, I'm going against popular opinion, I actually really like them both.

Pixel Boarder just has style. The graphics are hot, the music is excellent, and while that can't make up for bad gameplay, I think the gameplay is spot on. It's going to take a while to get used to the controls, certainly, but it feels kinds Trials-y in how you have to land jumps and lean into them and stuff. Maybe it would've made sense more if the controls were all mapped to one analog stick rather than the two, though. Unless that's an option, I forgot to check. There are only four real moves so putting it on one stick would've been doable. It's just hard is all, it'll be an utterly awesome game for anyone that puts in the time to learn it.

TimeK, Love it. The flaws that people are complaining about, one hit kills, low time limit, I think you're just playing it wrong. Or rather, you're expecting it to be something it's not. It's not a platformer, that's just what it plays like. It's a puzzle game, it's about working out how you can beat each level in a minute and then doing it, and it's absolutely perfect at being that game. As for making levels unbeatable by letting platforms go too long, etc, well that's all part of the puzzle. You need to work out that that was wrong way to do it and fix it next time. As for hidden enemies, there was an ant-thing that was slightly hidden but I could see it there, certainly. Even so, you'll never lose more than a minute of progress and it'll be in the same place next time.

It looks stunning too.

Pixel Boarder is awesome!

PopfulMail

May have been mentioned already..... but Twin Blades is up on the indie channel. It was a sharp looking game on the iPod/iPhone and it looks just as sharp in HD. Not the deepest game by any means, but it's a quality game that the indie games needs more of.. plus they've included in game awards. 240 pts.

Also bought Tobe the other night. As mentioned.. controls could be tightened up a bit... but again.. this is the kind of game I love seeing in the indie games.

Rlan

Over the next few weeks on GamerBytes we'll be looking at a ton of developers and publishers for XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, DSiWare and PSP Minis to ask them about what they enjoyed from 2009, and what they'll be improving on.

Our first two parts are now up, including CapyBara Games:

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/01/developer_reflections_capybara.php

And Arkedo! Their talk is awesome! Just look at their office!

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/01/developer_reflections_arkedo_s.php

arkedoroom.jpg

Screw the French and their glorious wine and dine :(

Any feedback would be great! Look forward to more in the coming weeks :)

PopfulMail said:
May have been mentioned already..... but Twin Blades is up on the indie channel. It was a sharp looking game on the iPod/iPhone and it looks just as sharp in HD. Not the deepest game by any means, but it's a quality game that the indie games needs more of.. plus they've included in game awards. 240 pts.

Also bought Tobe the other night. As mentioned.. controls could be tightened up a bit... but again.. this is the kind of game I love seeing in the indie games.

Got Twin Blades at launch. I was a little disappointed because I thought it was gonna be an action game and not a high-points scoring game but for what's it's worth, it's fun. The graphics in HD are straight up sexy, some of the best on channel. Free DLC in the making is good too and there might be a patch coming out in the future to fix up a game crashing bug.

Still not a fan of Time K. Speed runs aren't my thing unless some shit is about to blow.

Anso said:
Now that this thread is rather popular, please help keep http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15336864 up to date? It's a bitch for new people (I think) to navigate through this thread so why not help them. XBLIG will only be amazing when more people join in and sort out the good from the bad.
What XBLIG needs is a high-profile proper website reviewing games, carrying news and stuff. By which I mean: NOT A BLOG.

I really want to do it myself, but the effort of actually designing a website is beyond me. I just want to write for it.

t3nmilez

Jewelry Master Twinkle is now having a contest!

http://www.arika.co.jp/product/jmt_hp/index.html

Essentially, if you fulfill certain conditions, you'll get a brown background while you're playing. Take a picture of your screen and send it it, and you'll get your choice of either a free conversion to the full version if you're playing the trial, or an original trading card. It's limited to 10 people, so you'd better step up if you're interested! Not sure if they'd ship the card outside of Japan, but it someone here manages to win it and already has the full version, I could forward it to them.

I've been trying to figure out how the game progresses, since I usually get a different conversation tree every time I play. I think it has something to do with the different kinds of gems you fuse and eliminate, but I'm not positive...

DerrickH

Neo Member
My game, You Will Die, was just released on XBLIG. http://bit.ly/6qAyrk .

Its a bullet hell style shooter where you fight a single enemy that grows stronger each time you beat it. And while the enemy packs more and more weapons on each level, the player never powers up or gets new weapons. And using your shield drains your score.

Costs 80 points.

YouWillDie_screenshot_1.jpg

DerrickH said:

Its a bullet hell style shooter where you fight a single enemy that grows stronger each time you beat it. And while the enemy packs more and more weapons on each level, the player never powers up or gets new weapons. And using your shield drains your score.

Costs 80 points.
It's nice :)

I like the music, which was instantly in my head. I only made it to level three so am clearly rubbish, but I really like the idea, and the gameplay is cool, it's really responsive. I found it really difficult to see the bullets coming at me through my own fire going the other way, but I think that's just because I'm terrible at these games, as much as I enjoy playing the genre! Definitely can't argue at it for 80 points.

One thing though, having "trial mode" on the screen the whole time is a massively cheap way of crippling the trial mode, and makes the game barely playable.

Other games I just tried:

Bacterio, which is a brilliant idea and could be stunning, but I found the controls really hard to get my head around. With persistence, this will be great.

Dreams of Witchtown, which was, well, odd I guess. It's a platformer with RPG elements like levelling up, etc. I got to what I assume is the first boss and got my ass kicked. The platforming feels really weird, and I didn't enjoy it much, my attack felt pretty useless too. It also has a really weird font, which keeps putting big gaps between letters and then overlapping others. Bizarre. As I say, I didn't enjoy it, but I think there's enjoyment to be had and it'll appeal to some people. Worth trialling.

Makiva looks like a neat Harvest Moon clone, but there's no English option at all so it's not worth looking at.

Anso

DerrickH said:

Costs 80 points.

Will try. I like shooters :3

Jay Sosa

Goddamnit I just found out that all this great games aren't availabe for dl where I live..

Great job MS, guess you don't want my money..

You can start a gamertag in another country, if you can buy points from overseas.

The games are so cheap that you wouldn't need to buy many points to last you ages!

sciplore

toythatkills said:
Makiva looks like a neat Harvest Moon clone, but there's no English option at all so it's not worth looking at.

Aww, I would love a harvest moon clone on xbla/xblig shame time one shows up its not in a language that would be easy to follow, still going to try and see how much I can muddle through though thanks for the heads up.

t3nmilez

That you will die game seems to want to make a danmaku shooter without considering the balancing that the genre usually is associated with. The biggest problem being that you're constantly under attack by tiny bullets whereas your ship has a huge hitbox. The boss formations also seemed kind of random and lacked direction, no real flow from one pattern to the next.

80pts isn't so bad though, probably worth checking out the trial if nothing else.

Jay Sosa said:
Goddamnit I just found out that all this great games aren't availabe for dl where I live..

Great job MS, guess you don't want my money..

MS obviously would take your cash and give you games if they could. Obviously there is something from allowing sales in your region. It could be infrastructure To cover the costs of the sale and all applicable taxes and so on or legalities with it. Don't be so quick to be pissed at them. Hell, developers on XNA would love a world market to sell into.

InfectedZero said:
Decimation X is fucking awesome.

Yes, awesome! Buy this, people! It's only $1 and the gameplay is awesome. It's essentially a beefed up space invaders with power ups and tons of firepower from the enemies. Not only that, but it's 4 players co-op! It's got awesome music and runs at a smooth 60 fps.

InfectedZero said:
Decimation X is fucking awesome.
Shit! I was just looking at that and didn't bother downloading it because the boxart screamed "don't bother."

I totally forgot about this game coming out. Should've put two and two together.

Will download now.

InfectedZero said:
Its legittttt! Top my probably weak score of 600,690 ;)

Woot - just got 825k! This game gets CRAZY later on! I hope they're able to implement leaderboards soon. This game would be even better with leaderboards.

Warm Machine said:
MS obviously would take your cash and give you games if they could. Obviously there is something from allowing sales in your region. It could be infrastructure To cover the costs of the sale and all applicable taxes and so on or legalities with it. Don't be so quick to be pissed at them. Hell, developers on XNA would love a world market to sell into.

Wouldn't changing your region by setting up a new gamertag fix the problem? It should work the same way US gamers get locked out of d/ling Japanese demos and XNA titles. Only issue I see is buying points with a different currency.

Noogy

toythatkills said:
Shit! I was just looking at that and didn't bother downloading it because the boxart screamed "don't bother."

I totally forgot about this game coming out. Should've put two and two together.

Will download now.

Yeah, the boxart doesn't do the game justice. This comes from the Duality guys, so yes, the game is awesome, and incredibly polished. Everyone should download it.

And it makes the wait for Duality just a bit easier :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That little 3d Platformer with the rim lighting and the Mario Galaxy knockoff skyboxes is pretty neat. The controls are kind of janky and the levels provided in the demo are a little short (maybe 30-40 seconds each, there's 5 in the demo and 25 overall?), but the fact that the author has an engine running for this stuff is pretty cool.

Edit: It's called Plucky's 3d Adventure and it's 80 points. I think I'll buy it.

xboxboxart.jpg

screen2_Web.jpg

screen3_Web.jpg

AzBat

mclaren777 said:
Is it possible to gift Indie Games to friends?

No. However, Indie developers do get 50 free code tokens per game that they can use to give reviewers, friends, family or whoever.

besiktas1

Yeah, if the creator spent a bit more time with the controls it would have been a purchase, I think janky is the correct way describe it :)

mclaren777

AzBat said:
No. However, Indie developers do get 50 free code tokens per game that they can use to give reviewers, friends, family or whoever.
Bummer. I wanted to buy 20+ copies of Miner Dig Deep for some of my friends. :(

t3nmilez

That Plucky game reminds me of the old platformer "Croc". The fact that he made such a game and is only charging 80 points is pretty impressive, something like that could probably go for 400, even if it doesn't play perfectly.

Reminds me more of Mario64 in that Plucky seems to have the same moveset.

I'd probably buy it but the camera controls on the right stick are backwards (for me) so I can't get on with it at all. If there's no option to change it (I forgot to check) I'm gonna have to give it a miss. It does seem cool apart from that, and the really strict gold medal time limits suggest there could be shortcuts to discover, etc.

Peff

toythatkills said:
I'd probably buy it but the camera controls on the right stick are backwards (for me) so I can't get on with it at all. If there's no option to change it (I forgot to check) I'm gonna have to give it a miss.

There is, in the Start menu press Y.

I might get it too, the controls are indeed not great, but it's playable and for that price it's hard to pass on a platformer game.

Kafel

Banned
Since noone here seems to want to be vocal about it, I'll do it then : Home Run Challenge is shitty.

After the efforts put in Avatar Golf, this new game is a real let down. I don't remember barkers crest's point of view about the shovelware in Indie games but his last game plays against his team.

AzBat

Kafel said:
Since noone here seems to want to be vocal about it, I'll do it then : Home Run Challenge is shitty.

After the efforts put in Avatar Golf, this new game is a real let down. I don't remember barkers crest's point of view about the shovelware in Indie games but his last game plays against his team.

Considering he went from making robust high quality $5 indie games, to a less than engaging high quality $1 indie game, I can understand where you're coming from. But to call it shitty I think is a little unfair. It is what it is: a $1 avatar themed indie game. However, it has very high production values for your 80MSP. Personally I didn't buy it because I've never been a fan of baseball. But I did play a fair amount of the trial and found it to be a nice PAST TIME. ;) Now had it been an American football game, it would have been an instant purchase. Anyway, I don't blame Barker from doing it, but I'm sure a lot of his Avatar Golf fans will appreciate that he do something with a little more meat next time. ;)

Alphahawk

Plucky's a pretty good game overall, when I first bought it I was worried that the game would be super short and, well they are but they're also get pretty challenging later on. It's nothing that will take you more than a couple sittings to beat granted, but that's a lot longer than I was initially expecting.

I see there's been a little chatter about Ninja Bros but I'm just now trying it. Wicked puzzler ... like the change in resolution, too. It's a nice touch.

gafster1

Neo Member
AzBat said:
It is what it is: a $1 avatar themed indie game.

Exactly. The production values -- even though it's clearly building on his earlier work -- is what is of value. It's got a niche audience (baseball fans), but really, it's only 80MSP.

Feep

Banned
Raide said:
Almost looks like it could be for an RPG. Its nice and atmospheric. Maybe put some odd whispering in the background to add a little more creepy to it. :lol
This is fantastic, because it is, in fact, the opening for an RPG.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom