• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Ninja Bros is good and a steal at 80 points. You probably missed it as once it's gone off the new games page what is there to point you too it? Bar review sites.

Noogy

toythatkills said:
Will I miss out if I play Soul with the volume down?

I'll wait until I can turn it up loud if so!

I think sound is a huge part of Soul, so you should probably wait. BTW, did you ever get my reply to your PM?

Noogy said:
I think sound is a huge part of Soul, so you should probably wait. BTW, did you ever get my reply to your PM?
I'll wait for now, then!

(yeah, I did, I meant to reply and thank you but clearly forgot, like an idiot! So thanks!)

Noogy

Rlan said:
My download's gone up again, so I downloaded Soul.

Wow, didn't expect that. FUUUUU :lol Hard as hell too.

Yeah, that didn't make it any easier to playtest :D But it's one of those titles you just HAVE to see to the end.

Gowans

I'm gona have to get my Mrs to play at least the start of soul.

Any word on when the leaderboards are coming to decimation X & how is it done on indie games?

Hello there guys, this is Phil from Press Start Studio.

I see some of you have played Twin Blades, I hope you've enjoyed the game. Rest assured that we are working hard on the free DLC, we've finished the first boss and one of the new environments and it objectively kicks ass!

I'll keep you posted when we are ready to release more infos.

a7a96627-e48a-4526-9339-b4a685e09395.jpg

Gowans007 said:
Any word on when the leaderboards are coming to decimation X & how is it done on indie games?
The way I've seen it done so far is by the dev having a machine always logged in on a specific gamertag, which then collects scores from other players / sends out scores. Pretty damn far from ideal.

qupe1975 said:
Ninja Bros is good and a steal at 80 points. You probably missed it as once it's gone off the new games page what is there to point you too it? Bar review sites.

I actually found it from the 'IGN Picks' section of the Indie Marketplace. IGN are good for something!

PressStartStudio said:

I see some of you have played Twin Blades, I hope you've enjoyed the game. Rest assured that we are working hard on the free DLC, we've finished the first boss and one of the new environments and it objectively kicks ass!

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/a7a96627-e48a-4526-9339-b4a685e09395.jpg

Don't take it too hard or anything, but I was a little "ehhhhh" about your game. Maybe I'm missing something - I mean, for a while there, I thought all there was to the game was that first area because there were no indicators that I could keep going to the right to the next screen. Combat also seemed a little too simple for my tastes, but again, maybe I was missing something. Maybe something to push the player in the right direction?

I really dig the art style, though.

N.A

Banned
It's actually quite deep once you get into it. After you go through all 3 areas you can upgrade all your attacks/weapons, and purchase new ones. You then repeat the areas against more powerful/different types of zombies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I downloaded Soul. not buying it.

It reminded me of those stupid viral videos where a car is driving around then a scary thing would flash on the screen and scream. Played it for about 2 minutes after that and got bored.

I did like the art. Shame they didn't do more with it.

webrunner

PressStartStudio said:

Wait, DLC? Was DLC on XNA figured out? I have the early planning stages of an episodic game but without DLC support I would have to go with password bonuses, as far as I know?

Indeed there is no DLC support for XNA. We'll bypass this by releasing an update of the game and people who have already bought Twin Blades will have to re-download the entire executable in order to enjoy the new content (it is free).

I suppose in your case if you want to make pay-for DLC you'd have to make separate games for every episode, but players couldn't keep their progress throughout the different eps.

Sega1991 said:
Don't take it too hard or anything, but I was a little "ehhhhh" about your game. Maybe I'm missing something - I mean, for a while there, I thought all there was to the game was that first area because there were no indicators that I could keep going to the right to the next screen. Combat also seemed a little too simple for my tastes, but again, maybe I was missing something. Maybe something to push the player in the right direction?

I really dig the art style, though.
From my playing of the game on both my ipod touch and xbl I find it works a lot better as a portable game, hard to explain but when I played the console version it just doesn't feel right. Maybe because it runs smoother on my 2nd gen touch and is a bit more zoomed in, with the screen scrolling up and down as you jump unlike the this version.

Odrion

Banned
Tried Ninja Bros, fun experiment but I don't think it works well enough. Mashing on both the X and the B pad is a little eeeh.

I have about ten indie games so far, I love each one. This is starting to become one of my favorite things about the X-Box. Even if they're not up to quality, they have this weird charming quality to them.

KAOS

Good to hear about the free dlc for Twin Blades! Just tried out and enjoyed Soul and Lethal Judgement. Soul is like those scary maze games that make people jump out their seats but with clever levels. Soul is awesome! Lethal Judgement reminds me a little of Amiga's Project X and Neo Geo's Last Resort. Both good games that I will add to my indy collection.

Alex Waterston

Neo Member
Hey, I'm Alex from Haiku Interactive. We made Crate Expectations. Nice to know that a few folks enjoyed it! :)

Here's a link to the trailer just in case you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFTkSZ6DHc8

We've had a really interesting time with CE on Xbox Indies. It seems that a lot of people dismiss our game because of a) it's cheesy name and b) because it looks and sounds like a sokoban style puzzle game. It appears that a lot of people also find it quite hard to work out what to do as well! We've tried to make it easier to learn the game in an update which is currently trundling its way through review. Getting a game out on Indies has definitely been a learning experience!

Ta,

Alex

qupe1975

Neo Member
Soul is good, just don't play it on the wimp mode it is too easy. I kinda got annoyed with the screaming bit after a while but I think it's a decent little game. It can be damn frustrating too.

Lethal Judgment I am still unsure about. The backgrounds look really nice on the level I played and there was plenty going on I just need to give it another go not sure it's worth 400 points if it's only 5 levels to.

Decimation X surprised the hell out of me. The guys who made this game really owe it to themselves to make some better box art. The box art makes it look like some crappy space invaders port. Not that it can be captured in box art, but the animation/style really make the game look great in motion.

Looks aside, the game is brilliant. My biggest gripe with these types of games is how long it usually takes for the "fun" to start. It's instantly fun, and the ramp up in difficulty is perfect. The early phases of the game are about stocking up on power-ups, bullets, and shields. The later phases are about surviving as long as you can with the power-ups you've accumulated. In that sense, it never feels boring. I think my average game lasts about 10 minutes or so, which is perfect.

I was prepared/expecting to spend $5 on this game, and when I saw that it was only $1 it was the easiest $1 I've ever spent.

So good.

KanZolo

I dont think it's going to be release as an "XNA Indie game" but it is for sure an indie made game.

n3lwub.jpg

From what I have seen, its a platforming puzzler (Braid-ish?) with the style of a black and white silent movie.

Out February 17

Harteex

Neuromancer said:
On another note, has anyone tried RC Racing 360? It's hard to control but the graphics are really impressive. Probably the best 3D graphics I've seen in a 360 Indie game.

Yea. I have the same opinion as you, very pretty game, but way too hard/annoying to control. Deleted after one race.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Am I a bad person in that I just can't get over the mental block in my head of paying the large 400 point amount for certain games compared to the 240 or 80?

Brettison said:
Am I a bad person in that I just can't get over the mental block in my head of paying the large 400 point amount for certain games compared to the 240 or 80?
If the game is worth it I have no problem but otherwise I don't buy the biggies. Like if Dust is still coming to indie games and is 800 points I would buy it :D but who knows (apart from the dev)

Brettison said:

Yes, indeed you are, its a stupid mindset. There's plenty games on the service that aren't nearly worth 80 points and yet there's some gems that are a much better experience than some $60 retail games. $5/£3/whatever is a pittance to pay for a quality game.

Each game should be judged on its individual merits against all games, not just other XB indie games.

Odrion

Banned
At least get the Trial versions of those games.

Man, I'm really loving the Indie Games as of late, wish there was a good central website with them.

That and Achievement point system, but it make it different and instead call it something else...

My idea? "Indie Cred" ;)

Kamaki

Alex Waterston said:
We've had a really interesting time with CE on Xbox Indies. It seems that a lot of people dismiss our game because of a) it's cheesy name and b) because it looks and sounds like a sokoban style puzzle game.

Basically this for me, but that trailer you just posted made me change my mind. The game actually looks really good, if the demo impresses me I'l pick it up for sure.

TimmiT

Will I be able to buy Indie games from the U.S. marketplace on Xbox.com if you live in a country where Indie games aren't available? I would really like to play some of them, but they aren't available here in Holland.

Crosstown just had a drop from $5 to $1. It's a pretty fun early 80s style arcade game with a good sense of humor and a creative presentation. Was overpriced before, but definitely worth a look now.

screen1_Web.jpg

screen2_Web.jpg

Anso

HadesGigas said:
Crosstown just had a drop from $5 to $1. It's a pretty fun early 80s style arcade game with a good sense of humor and a creative presentation. Was overpriced before, but definitely worth a look now.

screen1_Web.jpg

screen2_Web.jpg

Will have to check that out, looks sexy.

So I bought Lethal Judgment. Not a bad game. It's really tough, as there are no continues, so you have to beat the game on just one ship. Don't know if you can unlock any continues the longer you play, but so far, I'm unable to continue.

Alex Waterston said:
We've had a really interesting time with CE on Xbox Indies. It seems that a lot of people dismiss our game because of a) it's cheesy name and b) because it looks and sounds like a sokoban style puzzle game.
Well, tbh, I love Sokoban style puzzle games!

Tried Football League Simulator which is weird. On the one hand, I guess it does what it says it does and simulates a football league, but on the other hand, it doesn't do it very well. I simmed through a season and Chelsea won the Premier League with 66 points, and there was only 24 points between the top team and the bottom. There are already 36 points between Man U and Portsmouth! It's just a bit too random. It feels like there's a 33% chance you'll win, lose or draw, rather than it being weighted towards the better teams. Nice presentation though.

I really like Soul. It just looks awesome. Yeah, the screaming is kind of unnecessary but I like the gameplay. I think it'd be better if the screaming was there to distract you as you were playing, rather than a sign you've died on occasion. It might feel less pointless then. Like, the first time it happens was really cool, but then it just happens when you screw up. Still, 80points means buy.

Lethal Judgement didn't fit on my TV and I didn't see an option to make it do so, so I deleted it.

Alex Waterston

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
Well, tbh, I love Sokoban style puzzle games!
I think the problem is that people that don't like Sokoban don't download it because it looks like Sokoban and people that do like Sokoban do download it but then get really confused because it's not sokoban.

Crate Expectations is really a tactical strategy game with plenty of opportunity for screwing your buddies over. It's all about blocking your opponents to stop them from winning while you try to find ways to sneak around their blocks.

I kind of wish we'd dressed the game completely differently now :)

Rimshot

PressStartStudio said:

Subjectively.

(sorry) ^_~ 

Brakara

TimmiT said:
Will I be able to buy Indie games from the U.S. marketplace on Xbox.com if you live in a country where Indie games aren't available? I would really like to play some of them, but they aren't available here in Holland.

You can, but you need to create a US account to download them, and load that account with US MS points in order to buy them.

A few more things I tried.

Along Came a Spider is pretty cool. A platform game on bits of silk, and you're a spider so you has spider skillz. You can climb up walls and shoot silk to hang off of platforms, ninja rope style. It's not the easiest thing to control, truth be told, but it gets easier as it goes on. Worth a trial, though I couldn't bring myself to pay the 400 for it.

Pixel Whirled is a neat take on Space Invaders. There's two games going on at once, and you press RB to flip between the two. If you lose at either of them, you lose a life. It's a nice idea wrapped in Mario Bros style visuals, worth trialling for sure.

Perlmania has the worst menu I've ever seen. I'd watched a trailer beforehand so I understood what was going on and could just about get into the game, but give it to someone who's not aware of how to play before they start and they won't even be able to start the bloody game. There also seems to be a conscious decision by the dev not to have any text in the game at all, the menus are bereft of text too and impossible to work out. There's nothing approaching a tutorial. Trial and error eventually got me into a level but Christ, they didn't make it easy. Terrible, terrible design. Oh, and it's ridiculously easy to accidentally quit the game which is when I stopped.

All of the above is a shame because it's a good game. Think a cross between iBlast Moki on iPhone and curling.

Adventures of Sid Xmas Special is a platformer with a Christmas theme. This was released back then but I missed it. It's pretty good. Definitely rough around the edges, jumping is strange and the small platforms are waaaay too slippy and you fall right off, but the levels are really big and there's loads of stuff to find and secrets, so for a cheap, short platformer, it does the job. A 'full' game, Adventures of Sid, is due shortly which apparently addresses feedback from the Xmas game and if it does so, will be a must-buy for sure.

PhlivoSong said:
Decimation X surprised the hell out of me. The guys who made this game really owe it to themselves to make some better box art. The box art makes it look like some crappy space invaders port. Not that it can be captured in box art, but the animation/style really make the game look great in motion.

Looks aside, the game is brilliant. My biggest gripe with these types of games is how long it usually takes for the "fun" to start. It's instantly fun, and the ramp up in difficulty is perfect. The early phases of the game are about stocking up on power-ups, bullets, and shields. The later phases are about surviving as long as you can with the power-ups you've accumulated. In that sense, it never feels boring. I think my average game lasts about 10 minutes or so, which is perfect.

I was prepared/expecting to spend $5 on this game, and when I saw that it was only $1 it was the easiest $1 I've ever spent.

So good.

Thanks for the great review. In our update (free; for the online scoreboards) we can update the box art. What do you suggest? Something like out of one of the screenshots?

Here's the marketplace link (to download and to see our screenshots):

Decimation X
http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855040a

We are also ranked #21 in the top rated Indie Games in the US (#5 in Canada and #1 in Japan) and it makes me wonder if we would have broken into that top 20 spot, which is so important as it grants dashboard placement, if we had online scoreboards right off the bat. And, now, I doubt anyone is going to adjust their rating of our game after the fact, even if it did matter.

(Sorry for talking about this from a dev's perspective, I hope this is ok with you all.)

Odrion

Banned
toythatkills said:
Pixel Whirled is a neat take on Space Invaders. There's two games going on at once, and you press RB to flip between the two. If you lose at either of them, you lose a life. It's a nice idea wrapped in Mario Bros style visuals, worth trialling for sure.
I get migraines whenever I lose a life. :\

Gowans

I like the Decimation X box art, I don't really see what you could do to it, its clean & fits with the style of the game.

Gave it a quick play today still my fave Indie Game to play at the mo, I'm dying for the online scoreboards, MS should just front up a big table for the Indie game scoreboard stuff for the cut they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom