• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Much of what he says about Mario3D being redundant and half-assed is contrary to what some people one GAF say about Mario3D giving the series a refreshing, creative kick in the ass. Who to believe, who to believe...

There's nothing fresh or creative about Mario 3D. Who said that? It's just Mario Bros. 3...in 3D. Nothing clever or new in my opinion. It's a damn fun game but doesn't do anything new. Mario Galaxy games still take out back behind the shed. So does Sunshine and Mario 64.

Alrus

100% agree.

The Mario recycling is a pain in the ass. Nintendo haven't interested me as far back as I can remember. While everyone is making new games and upgrading things (well mostly), Nintendo is stuck in the past releasing the same stuff over and over again.

Yeah nobody else does sequels to their super successful IPs...

Gui_PT

For how many years have been they doing that though?

And they barely add anything new or innovative. They just copy the concept and gameplay mechanics, add 1 or 2 new features and it's good to go.

I really like the game, but Super Mario 3d Land shamelessly cuts and pastes entire sections of levels. It doesn't just borrow excessively from past games (and it does borrow excessively from past games), it borrows from itself, and often. Like, way too often. I can't figure out why people were so jazzed on the "post-game" content tbh. It's 85% the same levels you already went through, arranged as they should have been the first time around (i.e. with a modicum of challenge). Of course, by the time you play the more difficult levels you've already gone through them once and gotten an idea of their layout, thus negating the added challenge.

udivision

And they barely add anything new or innovative. They just copy the concept and gameplay mechanics, add 1 or 2 new features and it's good to go.
That's all people really want sometimes. It's how the major FPS's and Sports Games roll, except Nintendo only does it once a gen with thier IP's instead of once a year.

sfried

100% agree.

The Mario recycling is a pain in the ass. Nintendo haven't interested me as far back as I can remember. While everyone is making new games and upgrading things (well mostly), Nintendo is stuck in the past releasing the same stuff over and over again.
I don't know if your trolling with this comment or not.

Eusis

Much of what he says about Mario3D being redundant and half-assed is contrary to what some people one GAF say about Mario3D giving the series a refreshing, creative kick in the ass. Who to believe, who to believe...
Both are right in a sense. The game mixes the gameplay of the 2D and 3D installments to make one of the fresher Mario games, but it's overall aesthetics shamelessly steal from the older Mario games, especially 3.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Odd question; do the people who cite Nintendo as being bankrupt and out of ideas, of always making the same thing over and over, hold the exact same opinion about other franchises built around iconic IP?

Should the Sims brand have been ended ten years ago?

Madden?

FIFA?

What about Modern Warfare 3? You know there's going to be Modern Warfare 4.

It's just that, the phrasing of criticism of Nintendo, often seems to sound as if Nintendo is being made to sound especially guilty. Like they do this supposedly bad thing worse than anyone. They do get singled out an awful lot by certain gamers.

The funny thing about saying Rayman Origins is fresh, and Mario is old, is that Rayman is nearly as old a character as Mario. Origins is purposefully a basic platformer; back to basics. It doesn't "move the genre forward" in most ways. If anything, it's very conservative and follows a path mapped out by, heh heh, Nintendo games.

The difference is it doesn't have Mario on the cover.

I just can't shake the suspicion that some people make themselves dislike Nintendo because one is at this point "supposed to dislike them" for their litany of sins against the progress of gaming. Or something.

My own perspective in this case is biased because I have played Origins too (360 version). And it's very nice. But I wasn't blown away by it. I can actually see what people who like it better than Mario see in it. I just appreciate what the latter day Mario games do with their play mechanics more. They're more what I'm looking for in a platformer.

Which isn't even to say 3D Land is objectively better than Rayman. The entire question is kind of funny because it's comparing a 2D and 3D platformer, for all that 3D Land is trying to incorporate some elements of 2D games better than has been achieved before. I have my criticisms of the game, such as weak bosses, and yes, the fact that the first half of the vanilla worlds are intentionally made very easy to try and sooth people who normally wouldn't play a 3D game because it's too scary.

(On the side, that's the point of the way the game is balanced btw. It overcompensates in its effort to lure people who don't like 3D games. The special worlds are there for people who can actually play games. The vanilla worlds are mostly tuned to avoid absolutely any frustration for people who would give up on playing a game with 3D movement because it confused them. In spite of this, I still liked it better than Rayman. It was more enjoyable to play for what I want.)

Nintendo's real problem isn't that they keep making Mario and Zelda games. Just like there's no problem with the Sims still going strong despite the fact that "those games are basically all the same".

The problem is that Nintendo's extreme conservatism, which they use to save themselves from costly mistakes, makes them incredibly reluctant to bank on new IP that compliments their existing content. I think people seriously mistake their conservatism for Nintendo having "no ideas". I still suspect if you replaced Mario in the Galaxy games with a random unknown character and changed up the Mario enemies with new ones, but otherwise made the same game, it'd be hailed as a smashing new IP and triumph of the imagination :p In every way besides Mario being in it, the games are testaments to what one can do with action and platforming.

Eusis

Given Yahtzee called MW3 and Battlefield 3 the worst games of last year he's not guilty of defending THAT at the same time at least. But yeah, Nintendo has the decency to space it out and try to mix things up more. TP may be considered derivative of OoT, but it's nowhere near as close as MW2 to MW1.

Odd question; do the people who cite Nintendo as being bankrupt and out of ideas, of always making the same thing over and over, hold the exact same opinion about other franchises built around iconic IP?

Madden?

FIFA?

For me... yeah. You could cancel every one of those and I wouldn't shed a single tear. Funnily enough, I've played every one of them at some point but lost interest because they got tired and formulaic.

Madden?

FIFA?

What about Modern Warfare 3?

This is a joke, right? Tell me this is a joke.

DeadTrees

I just can't shake the suspicion that some people make themselves dislike Nintendo because one is at this point "supposed to dislike them" for their litany of sins against the progress of gaming.

Or we're just tired of seeing the same old damage control from posters who can't come up with any arguments beyond everybody-else-does-it-so-why-can't-Nintendo. "Which isn't even to say 3D Land is objectively better than Rayman"..."weak bosses"..."3D Land is trying to incorporate"..."the first half of the vanilla worlds are intentionally made very easy"..."It overcompensates". WOW, LOOK AT THAT HIGH PRAISE. YOU CONVINCED ME, GUY WHO IS SMARTER THAN YAHTZEE.

Speaking of which:

On the side, that's the point of the way the game is balanced btw. It overcompensates in its effort to lure people who don't like 3D games. The special worlds are there for people who can actually play games. The vanilla worlds are mostly tuned to avoid absolutely any frustration for people who would give up on playing a game with 3D movement because it confused them.
Aren't you the same guy who whinges about "Western games" (whatever that means this week) dumbing down, providing shallow experiences, and so forth? Seems there might be some double standards in this thread, after all.

Orayn

Yahtzee's gone and done it now... He's taken the instances where I agree with him 100% and the instances where I couldn't disagree with him more and put them in the same video while actively flip-flopping back and forth between them.

I would, however, like to think his criticisms of SM3DL were exaggerated slightly to improve the contrast.

Colocho

Banned
I've never played SML3D so I can't really comment on the gameplay and the such, but after seeing some vids I can really see where the "everything looks the same" complaints come.

Marlowe89

I find myself agreeing with Yahtzee in most cases, however exaggerated his criticisms might be, but I think his hipster mentality (yeah I went there, and let's not deny it) is getting the best of him here. Some of his points are almost begging to fix what isn't really broken to begin with.

However, the whole lives system is indeed an outdated concept. They were even more useless in 3D Land simply because it was so painstakingly easy to get extra lives in the game.

an hour into Rayman...yeah, it's pretty good. A little imprecise, but certainly a lot of fun. They're both great platformers. I don't really feel much need to contrast them. of course, SMB was my first NES game, but I never really saturated myself with the series, always just played a little bit of each one (aside from beating SMB1 back and forth like everyone.) This is my first Rayman game. It doesn't feel like Sonic, where I'm wondering how it's even competing with mario. It just feels like a different, solid take on platforming.

To me, SM3DL is just 3D mario chopped down into individual 2D Mario-length levels and packed with more stuff and the added bonus of not having to own a Wii to play it or having to use wii controllers at all. I thought 3D was a much bigger asset to the game than Yahtzee gave it credit for. Maybe the things I'm finding fun in the game are recycled like shit from Galaxy 1+2, Sunshine or something, but I don't notice, so I don't care. I see the SMB3 influence and I can't say I'm bothered. SMB3 is an ancient game at this point and I don't think Mario themes and aspects are only good for one single use before they expire.

so, i'm happily neutral, happy to own both, and find Yahtzee's cynicism funny as usual.

Eusis

I don't think lives are inherently outdated so much as HOW they're used. And in Mario for any experienced player it's fairly frivolous, but it can be useful in games with shorter stages as a way to tell the player to cool off, step away for awhile, then try again like the case was for Bionic Commando Rearmed aside from the very last stage. I suppose the way I look at it is this: if I can beat a stage in about the same amount of time as the space between checkpoints in some shooters like Halo, then lives are perfectly fine. If I'm set back significantly more than that (BCR's final stage, DMC3's original US release, Sonic Unleashed werehog stages) then it's a bullshit system.

Marlowe89

How about:
1. Half-arsed attempt at creating a 3D setting "floating Lego blocks"
4. Lack of content.

But why are these two considered negative factors? The "floating Lego blocks" thing is precisely what bestowed the game with so much appeal, and the so-called "lack of content" somehow doesn't prevent me from continuously playing it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, etc.

Wow, this thread is back.

I anticipated that Yahtzee wouldn't to fan of Super Mario 3D Land. I liked both the games, but I would agree that Ray Man Origins was more appealing in they way it presented itself.

I would also object to Mario still using lives, but honestly, I kind of learn to accept that Mario platformers aren't really push itself any further. That and I still had 300+ extra lives by the time I reached World 8.

Salacious Crumb

I find myself agreeing with Yahtzee in most cases, however exaggerated his criticisms might be, but I think his hipster mentality (yeah I went there, and let's not deny it) is getting the best of him here. Some of his points are almost begging to fix what isn't really broken to begin with.

However, the whole lives system is indeed an outdated concept. They were even more useless in 3D Land simply because it was so painstakingly easy to get extra lives in the game.

A hipster would definitely name Saints Row 2 their favourite game of 2008.

IrishNinja

This is a joke, right? Tell me this is a joke.

why, though? it's a valid response.
Yahtzee has some points between the hyperbole (as ever) but i was also confused by his hatred of the platform/3D then complaining about the fact the game doesn't throw 3D puzzles at you too often, as well.

also: lives system is indeed outdated, but if it's tossed - what to do with all them coins?

if anything, i'm glad this review will get more people to play Rayman Origins, though.

this too, im assuming you get continues cause im still sitting on like 20 extra men and im not even very good at it, there's so many freaking coins about.

But why are these two considered negative factors? The "floating Lego blocks" thing is precisely what bestowed the game with so much appeal, and the so-called "lack of content" somehow doesn't prevent me from continuously playing it.
Because:
1. floating lego blocks are uncreative. Please allow me to express it in terms you may understand: Level design in SMG = Creative. Level design in SM3DL= Uncreative.
2. Life is too short to playing the same thing over and over.
Hope that helps.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, etc.
This ideal applies only to something that has perpetuity.

Mario not the only one recycling things he say the same thing for every mario, most of the time I can see a bit of truth in thing he say but this time for both games I dont

Rayman to me feel disjointed and don't feel like you hitting anything or walking on anything, nice art style but I hate the design character's

Does anyone who has played both games disagree with the review? Having beaten 3D Land twice so far and just finishing Rayman, I totally agree with Yahtzee on this one. Rayman is far and away the more enjoyable game. The levels are so imaginative that they totally do make 3D Land feel phoned in. Although really even the Galaxy games make 3D Land feel phoned in, it's disappointing to see the series go from flying around in space and a handful of new powerups to the same old water, sewer, desert, castle, etc. levels. Sure, the fact that they aren't separated into worlds keeps it from feeling too tired, but there's not anything in 3D Land that made me think "Wow, I've never seen this in a Mario game before!"

Rayman's levels feel ingeniously designed as well. They guide you through obstacles in a way that's exhilarating when you get into it and are reacting on the fly to the level moving around you and creating new paths for you as you running through it. Sections like this are fun to get through in a way that nothing in 3D Land approaches.

To me 3D Land had two levels of difficulty, cakewalk (the entire game save for one level) and impossible (the hidden last level). Some of the very late levels (like the last special world) could be challenging if you were going for the coins, but I never felt like I was getting better at Mario Land. Rayman on the other hand steadily increases its challenge, and by the end you're doing insane stuff like that video I posted and not thinking twice about it.

Plus Rayman has an amazing soundtrack and very charming animations and characters. I do still like 3D Land, in fact I'd still consider it one of my favorite games in the series, but there's no question whatsoever in my mind that Rayman in the better game. It's a shame that not many people are playing it, and a total joke that people claim that it's not worthy of a retail release or not worth $60, $40, $30 or whatever it is at the moment but will pay $40 for the much shorter 3D Land.

Yahtzee has some points between the hyperbole (as ever) but i was also confused by his hatred of the platform/3D then complaining about the fact the game doesn't throw 3D puzzles at you too often, as well.

He's just saying that Nintendo aren't using the 3D very extensively. He's not asking for more of the puzzles, just pointing out that despite them being one for the more overt uses of the 3D, there's very few of them. Hence the "Hope $80 per 3D room was worth it for you" comment.

Marlowe89

A hipster would definitely name Saints Row 2 their favourite game of 2008.

Yep, sure. It's certainly not as mainstream as Grand Theft Auto. And a hipster wouldn't bash its follow-up at all, right?

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Level design in SM3DL= Uncreative.
So if it's not absolutely groundbreaking, it can't be enjoyable platforming. What's not to like about floating blocks that rotate and vanish or flipping tiles? You seem to be missing your "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign, it's right there on the left.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
2. Life is too short to playing the same thing over and over
"Darn those pesky games with their timeless implementations! You're not supposed to like them forever, man!"

But a hipster wouldn't bash its follow-up at all, right?

So if it's not absolutely groundbreaking, it can't be enjoyable platforming. You seem to be missing your "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign, it's right there on the left.

How old are you? Calling someone a hipster because they like or don't like something is ridiculous, especially when you're jumping through hoops like "Well sure, he did like that one game that wasn't artsy or anything, but then he went and dumped on the sequel, which is actually kind of popular. Yep, looks like we're dealin' with a hipster here!"

Your crazy accusatory "Oh, you like things that are new? Guess you don't like fun then! Because I like some things that don't feel all new!" thing is pretty simple too.

IrishNinja

He's just saying that Nintendo aren't using the 3D very extensively. He's not asking for more of the puzzles, just pointing out that despite them being one for the more overt uses of the 3D, there's very few of them. Hence the "Hope $80 per 3D room was worth it for you" comment.

yeah, i get that - but the levels used the 3D effect, and i guess if he really hates it so much, wouldn't he celebrate not having it forced on you?
it's like doing an early ps3 review of say Heavenly Sword, and saying how shitty sixaxis controls were, then saying it's bullshit that there's not more twing-twang or whatever levels. if something strikes me as a gimmick, i'm grateful for a lack of it.

i'm not getting into the Rayman comparison at all though; just grabbed that one for $20 the other week (thanks again Wario!), looking forward to jumping on it when i tie up a few others games first.

Marlowe89

How old are you? Calling someone a hipster because they like or don't like something is ridiculous, especially when you're jumping through hoops like "Well sure, he did like that one game that wasn't artsy or anything, but then he went and dumped on the sequel, which is actually kind of popular. Yep, looks like we're dealin' with a hipster here!"
yahtzee has almost never liked sequels though, or anything that mainstream afaik*

*there are a few exceptions, I'll admit.

Your crazy accusatory "Oh, you like things that are new? Guess you don't like fun then! Because I like some things that don't feel all new!" thing is pretty simple too.

Since you seem to be pretty heartily jumping to conclusions here, I'll kindly inform you that there is nothing invalid whatsoever about overlooking a game's lack of "something new" in favor of its core gameplay. The opinion that any game lacking some kind of overhaul or new innovation that reinvents the whole series automatically gives it some kind of setback is complete bullshit.

Besides, what exactly wasn't creative about giving 2D-themed levels a 3D atmosphere?

yeah, i get that - but the levels used the 3D effect, and i guess if he really hates it so much, wouldn't he celebrate not having it forced on you?
it's like doing an early ps3 review of say Heavenly Sword, and saying how shitty sixaxis controls were, then saying it's bullshit that there's not more twing-twang or whatever levels. if something strikes me as a gimmick, i'm grateful for a lack of it.

i'm not getting into the Rayman comparison at all though; just grabbed that one for $20 the other week (thanks again Wario!), looking forward to jumping on it when i tie up a few others games first.

He's not saying that the lack of 3D rooms is bullshit though, I'm not sure why you're getting that impression. He's just saying "Guess 3D isn't such a priority since they barely use it" or something to that effect. Just because he's pointing out the absence of something doesn't mean he wants more of it.

As for not getting the comparison, I'm not sure how this escaped you, but they're both platformers. And if you planned on responding "But one's 3D and one's 2D!", that's true but 3D Land had a lot of people commenting on how it married the feel of the 3D and 2D Marios, and with its 8-way run and levels designed around it, in many sections it feels a lot like a 2D platformer with wider tracks.

Really the fact that they're both platformers in which your sole goal is to reach the end of the level (unless you try to find the two or three hidden collectibles in each level) is sufficient grounds for comparison for me.

Since you seem to be pretty heartily jumping to conclusions here, I'll kindly inform you that there is nothing invalid whatsoever about overlooking a game's lack of "something new" in favor of its core gameplay. The opinion that any game lacking some kind of overhaul or new innovation that reinvents the whole series automatically gives it some kind of setback is complete bullshit.

Besides, what exactly wasn't creative about giving 2D-themed levels a 3D atmosphere?

If a game doesn't need to be new and creative to be interesting then why are trying to prove that 3D Land was? =p

Personally, I don't know if I'd consider a lack of rethinking each game in a franchise a setback for the individual games, but it does make them feel similar, and over time I get less and less excited about each one. For example the "Oh, this again?" feeling it seems like a lot of people are starting to get for Call of Duty. And that people got before for Guitar Hero. And WWII shooters. And whatever else. Mario games don't come out that often and Nintendo does play with the trapping of each game a bit even if the core mechanics stay the same, so I doubt I'll ever reach that point with Mario, but for some entries (NSBM Wii especially) I do have a lukewarm "Yeah, this sure is Mario" reaction.

matm666

What do you want? Mario using a gun or a blade doing some combos? I think most Mario games have been creative and original sequels, this whole "They been doing the same" is recent because they have done direct sequels with not many changes: New Super Mario Bros DS/Wii Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land is not helping much mixing both and adding old stuff for nostalgia reasons.

How about:
2. Archaic gameplay (lives, etc)

Explain etc please, and what its so archaic about having lives???
I'm glad that Mario has lives, to me is always fun to find them, or find a trick to get infinite lives etc. I don't think that by having no lives the game will actually change that much.

I have the same opinion regarding regenerating health in FPS and TPS It was more intense finding health packs. Or random battles in RPGs, I think they are not archaic mechanics, is just classic gameplay and there's a place for both if done well.

Marlowe89

If a game doesn't need to be new and creative to be interesting then why are trying to prove that 3D Land was? =p

I'm not actually trying that arduously to prove that 3D Land was new and creative, even though I did get that impression to an extent. Of course, whatever defines "creative" will eventually lead into a silly subjective discussion over semantics that I'm not willing to tackle at all. But I am speaking from a hypothetical, general viewpoint - and generally speaking, I just really don't think 3D Land requires some sort of innovative equality with the Galaxy series to make it a good game. Maybe I'm just not overly difficult to please when it comes to my platformers.

I'll gladly admit that Yahtzee succeeded in making me want to give Rayman a spin though.

Salacious Crumb

yahtzee has almost never liked sequels though, or anything that mainstream afaik*

*there are a few exceptions, I'll admit.

Pretty much all the games he loves are mainstream, at least among gamers. Silent Hill 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, fucking Portal, these games aren't exactly obscure indie darlings.

He has even shit on games like Braid for being pretentious.

IrishNinja

He's not saying that the lack of 3D rooms is bullshit though, I'm not sure why you're getting that impression. He's just saying "Guess 3D isn't such a priority since they barely use it" or something to that effect. Just because he's pointing out the absence of something doesn't mean he wants more of it.

fantastic; if he's gonna disparage something, it's gonna strike me as an odd complaint. again though, he spent too much of the review jumping on the platform itself rather than the game, my opinion.

As for not getting the comparison, I'm not sure how this escaped you, but they're both platformers.

yeah, lemme stop you right here before you go full-on RDF:

i'm not getting into the Rayman comparison at all though

if this was vague: i'm not indulging that element of the discussion, because i've personally not completed one and barely played the other, that's all - though this kinda review does play well with some elements on GAF because of the dichotomy it creates (you have to love one and kinda piss on the other, as if i can't enjoy them both for different reasons entirely)

You asked why the people who hate on Mario for not evolving as a series don't make the same complaint about other long-running series. Then you listed The Sims, Madden, and Call of Duty as examples, despite them being the absolute most-complained-about series for churning out game after identical game without changing anything. The only way your comment could have been more ridiculous is if you had added Harvest Moon, Dynasty Warriors, and Assassin's Creed.

IrishNinja

You asked why the people who hate on Mario for not evolving as a series don't make the same complaint about other long-running series. Then you listed The Sims, Madden, and Call of Duty as examples, despite them being the absolute most-complained-about series for churning out game after identical game without changing anything. The only way your comment could have been more ridiculous is if you had added Harvest Moon, Dynasty Warriors, and Assassin's Creed.

well, it was Kajma to be fair, but...
yeah, those series don't quite get a pass on it either (certainly not CoD) but then you get fans outlining exactly why certain innovations were big/possible game-changers - ive seen a number here on GAF regarding the Galaxy series, for instance.

but your point stands - insofar as Yahtzee specifically, he calls out many of those series' on a regular basis for doing just that.

I'm not actually trying that arduously to prove that 3D Land was new and creative, even though I did get that impression to an extent. Of course, whatever defines "creative" will eventually lead into a silly subjective discussion over semantics that I'm not willing to tackle at all. But I am speaking from a hypothetical, general viewpoint - and generally speaking, I just really don't think 3D Land requires some sort of innovative equality with the Galaxy series to make it a good game. Maybe I'm just not overly difficult to please when it comes to my platformers.

I'll gladly admit that Yahtzee succeeded in making me want to give Rayman a spin though.

The creativity/ innovation thing really doesn't need to be brought up anyway as Rayman doesn't really do anything overly innovative anyway. It's just a damn good platformer, with controls that feel just as "perfect" as Marios added with very charming characters and an amazing soundtrack. The game feels fresh because Mario is pretty much the only decent platformer most people have played in years (what others are there even? Meat Boy, N, 'Splosion Man...) and the physics don't feel like Mario at all. There a recklessness to how the game wants you to run through levels that feels pretty unique as well; you technically can run through Mario levels it doesn't really drastically change the experience beside the fact that you're going faster, whereas in Rayman a big part of the game is keeping up your momentum and reacting to things on the fly at top speed. Which probably makes it feel like Sonic at least a little I guess, I haven't ever really played much Sonic but from what I understand that's kind of the draw of that game.

But anyway, Rayman in no way innovates the platforming genre or anything like that. All you do is run, jump and swim through 2D levels. To me Rayman is by far the better game because of its level design, not its innovations or gimmicks or whatever.

fantastic; if he's gonna disparage something, it's gonna strike me as an odd complaint. again though, he spent too much of the review jumping on the platform itself rather than the game, my opinion.

if this was vague: i'm not indulging that element of the discussion, because i've personally not completed one and barely played the other, that's all - though this kinda review does play well with some elements on GAF because of the dichotomy it creates (you have to love one and kinda piss on the other, as if i can't enjoy them both for different reasons entirely)

I think hating on the 3DS is just a sort of running joke for Yahtzee now. If ZP were solely dedicated to quality integrity reviews then yeah, I could see complaining that he spent too much time on that, but the show is just as much Yahtzee being funny and entertaining as it is about critiquing games.

I totally missed what you were saying the with the comparison thing. Sorry about that! I thought it was weird that you'd question the comparison when it's so obvious why someone would, but you never know on GAF, I'm sure there's a decent number of posters who would consider any comparison between a 2D and 2D/3D hybrid platformer ridiculous.

I'm not sure if there will be a "Love one, hate the other" thing for 3D Land and Origins. Like I said before, even though I had much more fun with Origins I still played 3D Land to 100% completion and enjoyed it, and it's one of my favorite Mario games.

Few optical illusions = de-emphasizing 3D? The 3D effect was already used to amazing effect in every level of the game. The depth you get when using the second 3D mode is incredible. Gotta crank dat slider all the way up though.

Top Bottom