• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
speculawyer said:
You are right . . . he actually liked that game.

And yes, I own it and it is the only xbox game I've bothered to play in BC mode.

Yatzee also remarked that nobody likes him when he is nice, we demand the hatred.

JCtheMC said:
And how is this a bad thing? I'm pretty much the same and i still manage to buy a handful of games a year. (Rentals ftw).

I didn't say it was bad . . . it is funny. And he even admits to being overly harsh against games purely for the effect of being funny . . . watch the Bioshock review.

But if you took his reviews completely seriously (which he clearly doesn't), I think the only game you would have bought is Psychonauts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
speculawyer said:
No . . . if he were not biased against anything, he'd actually give something a good review. I agree that his bias is pretty equal . . . it is against everything.

You're confusing bias with hate. Being biased against everything is an oxymoron.

Hesemonni

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Reviewing Halo based on its single player experience is like saying tennis sucks when you play against a wall.
Could it be that some people might actually enjoy playing single player games as opposed to multiplayer games?

ZealousD said:
You're confusing bias with hate. Being biased against everything is an oxymoron.

Bias is a word that can be applied to more than just console preferences. I guess you could say that "being biased against everything" is an oxymoron and perhaps that was my intent . . . a humorous way of saying 'pessimistic'.

Lighten up, guys.

JCtheMC

speculawyer said:
But if you took his reviews completely seriously

Here's a guy who speaks at a rate of 7 million syllables a minute and calls himself Yahtzee.

I take him REAL serious.

LakeEarth

Hesemonni said:
Could it be that some people might actually enjoy playing single player games as opposed to multiplayer games?
Of course. But if you don't like multiplayer games, don't bitch about playing a game where that's its main focus. If you don't like racers, don't buy racers, etc.

Gowans

:lol Loved it.

Dont agree one bit but loved it!

Can see some of the points hes making if hes fresh to halo and laughed at the boom stuff tho

VonGak!

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Reviewing Halo based on its single player experience is like saying tennis sucks when you play against a wall.

You completely miss the point, switch off defend mode and watch it again just like I had to with Fable and Heavenly Sword.

Dolphin said:
Then I guess you didn't get my post at all. Congrats.

**hint, my post was supposed to be the opposite of funny.

You sure put his humour in sharp contrast.

But perhaps instead of being polite I should have replaced 'funny' with 'intelligent'. ^.^

speculawyer said:
You would never buy another game if you did that. Basically, he seems biased against everything. :lol

Gotta love that disgruntled Englishman humour, he's so fitting for the Escapist.

MarkMacD

Prime crotch said:
I dare anyone say they did not laugh at Carl Weathers joke.

I'm all for a good Carl Weathers joke, but the character is obviously based/ripped off of "Aliens" Sgt Apone, right down to the cigar. :D

KTallguy

Banned
Great review, from what anecdotal evidence I've had it seems that unless you're playing this game with other people you're really missing most of the experience. I think the multiplayer is really great, and co-op adds a shit-ton of longevity to the campaign, but if you're looking for an amazing single player experience...Bioshock, right?

And Peggle is hawt, until you realize that your score is lower than some knitting housewife in Souix City, Iowa.

Walshicus

speculawyer said:
You've never had the AI drive like an idiot? Really? You gotta be kidding me!
To be honest I rarely have the AI drive because I play co-op. But on those few occasions I've dabbled with single-player it seemed fairly good. Not something I particularly noticed to be bad, at least. I guess I'm in the minority here.

BigFwoosh

I can see where he's coming from with the Halo 3 review, but he when he said the game is all stuff we've done before I don't agree. What about File Sharing, Theater, and Forge? It kinda bugs me when people review a game without looking at the whole package. Still, he made some good points, and it was funny :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BigFwoosh said:
I can see where he's coming from with the Halo 3 review, but he when he said the game is all stuff we've done before I don't agree. What about File Sharing, Theater, and Forge? It kinda bugs me when people review a game without looking at the whole package. Still, he made some good points, and it was funny :lol

Keep in mind, he's also coming from a PC gaming background. Level creator/editors, etc aren't breaking any new ground to those used to it. Some probably consider it pretty old hat by now.

BigFwoosh

Kintaro said:
Keep in mind, he's also coming from a PC gaming background. Level creator/editors, etc aren't breaking any new ground to those used to it. Some probably consider it pretty old hat by now.
This is true. As far as console shooters go though, you rarely (if ever) get features like these. I guess I just wish reviewers would take that into consideration instead of being like "Yeah, we've had level editors since Jedi Knight, old news." I'm sure there were ones before Jedi Knight, but you get my point.

MarkMacD said:
I'm all for a good Carl Weathers joke, but the character is obviously based/ripped off of "Aliens" Sgt Apone, right down to the cigar. :D

Yes, that joke made no sense because it's the Weathers character who is manipulating/against the cartoonish superhero. It seemed poorly chosen.

I still laughed, though.

PetriP-TNT said:
LTTP, but who cares: Halo 3 review was GOLDEN.
The problem I have with the review is he is comparing it to Bioshock. Playing Halo 3 by yourself is like playing fighting games against the CPU; you're doing it wrong. At the very least you should be playing the campaign co-op. I'll be playing Halo 3 co-op and multiplayer with friends for a long time, but Bioshock? One and done.

Walshicus

a Master Ninja said:
The problem I have with the review is he is comparing it to Bioshock. Playing Halo 3 by yourself is like playing fighting games against the CPU; you're doing it wrong. At the very least you should be playing the campaign co-op. I'll be playing Halo 3 co-op and multiplayer with friends for a long time, but Bioshock? One and done.

I had an interesting argument with someone [as my Walshicus alter ego] about Bioshock in his comments section. Apparantly I lacked a consideration of scale, when I judged Halo's gameplay to be better than Bioshock's.

decon

BigFwoosh said:
It bugs me when console gamers are crazy about stuff that's been in games like Quake for years ("Theater").

Forge is pretty boring imo. or maybe it's just because I'm an asshat and that I don't know how to find games that's based on Forge mods.

decon said:
It bugs me when console gamers are crazy about stuff that's been in games like Quake for years ("Theater").

"High definition movie? It's been done in theater for a decade, what's the big deal!"

decon

Littleberu said:
"High definition movie? It's been done in theater for a decade, what's the big deal!"
Dude whatever. I've been enjoying movies from the Quake communities for years and now you Halo guys are all hypped about this feature. Yeah it's cool that they bring it to consoles but it's nothing new and alot of people make it sound like it is.

Dolphin said:
The point was that he's like every one of the other ten million people who think they're Dennis Miller.
He's like Dennis Miller . . . except he's funny.

Dennis Miller is not as fast, has no visual jokes, and makes obscure references. Yahtzee doesn't make that many obscure references, just lots of elaborate Brit/aussie-flavored insults.

decon said:
Dude whatever. I've been enjoying movies from the Quake communities for years and now you Halo guys are all hypped about this feature. Yeah it's cool that they bring it to consoles but it's nothing new and alot of people make it sound like it is.
You're so cool. Can I touch you please?

Christine

speculawyer said:
He's like Dennis Miller . . . except he's funny.

Dennis Miller is not as fast, has no visual jokes, and makes obscure references. Yahtzee doesn't make that many obscure references, just lots of elaborate Brit/aussie-flavored insults.

Dennis Miller first got well-known in the Weekend Update segment of SNL, which is built on this exact sort of fusion between spoken commentary and visual gags.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You're so cool. Can I touch you please?

You have to admit that he has some valid points. Namely like the heavy bias in favor of halo when it gets 10/10 from pretty much everyone. But then again if it was up to me mass effect would have already received 10/10 reviews from all major publications and has been named GOTY for the past 5 months.

Broktune

Banned
When unknown gaming sites give well received/well reviewed games low scores, they are hammered with countless accusations. Mainly due to wanting to get publicity for their site. When you eventually read the review, it is usually shit. They got their hits, mission accomplished. I now feel the same with Zero punctuation/Yahtzee.

Hmmm, do I see a pattern? Bioshock, well received/reviewed. Hey, Yahtzee, why don't you create one of them there witty review things that bashes the game. Our site needs the hits. A month later, Halo 3 drops, same result. I would like to see him review a game BEFORE the masses so he doesn't have the chance to be oh so witty.

I know, I know, I just don't get it. No I do. I loved his past reviews, but the last two games (which are just unbelievably great games) getting thrashed for the reasons he says. I don't buy it. And I found that there was much less humor in this review than any of the past. This was just an all out assault on anyone that likes the game.

He should just go The Angry Video Game Nerd route and review past "bad" games and inject his unique humor into it. I know his site needs the pub, but I think he can do better.

VonGak!

Banned
Broktune said:
When unknown gaming sites give well received/well reviewed games low scores, they are hammered with countless accusations. Mainly due to wanting to get publicity for their site. When you eventually read the review, it is usually shit. They got their hits, mission accomplished. I now feel the same with Zero punctuation/Yahtzee.

Hmmm, do I see a pattern? Bioshock, well received/reviewed. Hey, Yahtzee, why don't you create one of them there witty review things that bashes the game. Our site needs the hits. A month later, Halo 3 drops, same result. I would like to see him review a game BEFORE the masses so he doesn't have the chance to be oh so witty.

I know, I know, I just don't get it. No I do. I loved his past reviews, but the last two games (which are just unbelievably great games) getting thrashed for the reasons he says. I don't buy it. And I found that there was much less humor in this review than any of the past. This was just an all out assault on anyone that likes the game.

He should just go The Angry Video Game Nerd route and review past "bad" games and inject his unique humor into it. I know his site needs the pub, but I think he can do better.

Why is it the internet makes some people think that ignorance is a legit thing to be proud over? :|

You have utterly missed to point of Zero Punctuation.

Broktune said:

Wow . . . you figured out what he explicitly admits to in his Bioshock review. (Being mean for the sake of attention.) Aren't you clever?

Alex

Broktune said:

Or it could just be that the Halo 3 campaign fucking sucked.

VonGak!

Banned
speculawyer said:
Wow . . . you figured out what he explicitly admits to in his Bioshock review. (Being mean for the sake of attention.) Aren't you clever?

And it's in the very beginning, not hidden obscure place between all the jokes.

Darkpen

Banned
so, I haven't watched today's episode yet, but I must know

Are there spoilers?

I just watched it, never mind. Not to surprised by his review, considering his previous ones. Doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy Halo 3 once I get the damn chance.

Taxman

Broktune said:

He's not mean because he wants hits, he's mean because people don't like it when he's nice.

NewLib

Banned
Broktune said:

But his complaints are valid. Bioshock is not all that different from System Shock 2. He even admits its one of the best games of the year, but he doesnt understand how everyone was praising it as the second coming when it was done before.

Halo 3 Campaign is decent at best. Its no where near as brilliant as the original Halo's which people forget was a COMPLETE GREAT GAME. Halo 2 and Halo 3 come along with the fantastic multiplayer, but not that great Single Player and getting 10s doesnt make sense. I love Halo 3, but it isnt perfect. If it was, the single player would be fun to play by yourself. Instead, its tedious. The fact the level design in many parts is so reminiscent of previous Halo games and other times is just bad (CORTANA) does not help. Neither does the fact that the flood are not an engaging enemy. There is no strategic challenge to them except for the fact legendary makes them just difficult. There is a difference in a enemy which is challenging, but fun; and an enemy which is frustratingly difficult on high difficulties and boring on lower ones. Really I rather fight 10000s Wraiths and Brutes then one more flood enemy.

Broktune

Banned
speculawyer said:

Ok, so what did I say that was so wrong? Try not to type all your responses with Yahtzee's cock this time.

Ploid 3.0

I totally forgot about this review guy. The last one I saw was heavenly sword demo review. Time to enjoy and agree with other reviews he did lol.

Bowen_B

Banned
Uh oh, mods time to lock this thread and ban all posters!!
Yahtzee used the word fag, lock this thread quickly and ban everyone praising him!

Top Bottom