• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Taxman said:
He's not mean because he wants hits, he's mean because people don't like it when he's nice.
And he wants people to like him so he can get hits. Why else would he care whether people like it?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
lol - awesome new one.

Maybe it`s just the brit in me (oeerrr), but the "People like us" esque voice of Yahtzee and the general humour is full of awesome.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Zero Punctuation is awesome. Someone 'allowed' to say stuff a lot of us would love to say but like our accounts on web forums. :D

I just finished Halo 3. And I loved the game . . . I'd give a 9.4/10. But I really gotta agree with a lot in that ZP review.
1) The AI does drive like an idiot. I tried to let the AI handle this one section but after he drove around in circles for 5 minutes with no one around and not advancing the game, I had to boot him.
2) The story is convoluted cryptic . . . and I basically just gave up caring. I still don't know who that blue/white chick in the flashes is
Cortana I guess?
or why I'm having these flashbacks. And I don't know who that rumbling voice is either. But I basically realized I didn't care, it didn't matter, and it wasn't compelling in the least. The professors comparing the story to Homer or some great epic should be barred from teaching.
3) And that Ending . . . .
So I do sections of that last level over and over again to 'win' . . . but I die anyway . . . AND I DON"T EVEN GET TO SEE MYSELF KILLED! WTF?

But still . . . it was a great game.

It seems bizarre that there will be no sequel. I'm not gonna complain & say it was too short but it seems crazy to build all those models and that game engine . . . for just one game? Jeez . . . how about some downloadable additional campaign levels?

So I do sections of that last level over and over again to 'win' . . . but I die anyway . . . AND I DON"T EVEN GET TO SEE MYSELF KILLED! WTF?

you need to watch the credits through, because at the end theres another cutscene where this is more than explained

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
JavaMava said:
wait wait wait wait wait.

and MMOFPSRPG? I've gotta try that out... will there be a subscription fee?

There's a subscriber only demo up on Fileplanet, I wouldn't bother as it's rather awful.

murmurepehgs.

Amusing that Yahtzee admits that he is not particularly familiar with MMMORPGs but makes huge criticisms. He does research quite well and his points are fair so I'll let him off. You don't need to be an expert to know a game is piss poor.

cleveridea said:

you need to watch the credits through, because at the end theres another cutscene where this is more than explained

Damn . . . and I don't think I saved the game since the first flood . . . that's a long way to play again to win. I guess I'll up the difficulty and start over from the beginning.

The warthogs and scarabs are the coolest thing in Halo 3.

speculawyer said:
Damn . . . and I don't think I saved the game since the first flood . . . that's a long way to play again to win. I guess I'll up the difficulty and start over from the beginning.

The warthogs and scarabs are the coolest thing in Halo 3.

You can start from any level/insertion point and play through to the end to re watch the ending.

Edit: as for the Halo review, started off good, but he went into "Halo is popular hurr hurr" land, where it lost the creativity. I was looking foward to Yahtzee smashing my favorite 360 game, and am a little disapointed in his execution.

MORE EDITS: Tabula rossa review started off slow, but got better. Salad jokes, ftw!

Dante

I never heard of these guys till the Halo 3 review.

I think they m,ight just be my fav resource for reviews now :lol

Phoenix 2.0 said:
This one is the best one yet. MUMOPUGER is the new best term ever.
What does that stand for? I guess nothing . . . I guess he is just trying to pronounce MMORRPGer?

electricpirate said:
Edit: as for the review, started off good, but he went into "Halo is popular hurr hurr" land, where it lost the creativity. I was looking foward to Yahtzee smashing my favorite 360 game, and am a little disapointed in his execution.
Yeah, but I guess he had to address the huge public spectacle that Halo 3 has become. But on the game, I think he really nailed the crazy driving AI and the needlessly confusing story.

Cool about being able to play from anywhere, I love levels like that last one where it is a mad dash while all hell breaks lose around you.

The funny thing about Yahtzee is that he does these game reviews as if he is some normal person that has been involuntarily thrust into this game review role . . . but when you listen to him, it is clear that he loves these games and has been playing games for many many years.

arhra

speculawyer said:
Just load up Rally Point Alpha on the last level if you just want to see the ending again (starts you off just after
killing Guilty Spark, so you only have to fight/run out to the 'hog and do the run to the frigate again
).

Although if you played through on Normal to begin with, go back and play the entire game on at least Heroic.

The Halo 3 one simply wasn't funny. The only thing that even came close to being was the Bioshock "lowering my standards" thing, but even that was kinda meh as it doesn't particularly make sense. I'd toss it up to Halo being so incredibly popular that people bitch about it plenty enough and him picking some fairly boring things to bitch about.

The Tabula Rasa one was gold though.

VonGak!

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
The Halo 3 one simply wasn't funny. The only thing that even came close to being was the Bioshock "lowering my standards" thing, but even that was kinda meh as it doesn't particularly make sense. I'd toss it up to Halo being so incredibly popular that people bitch about it plenty enough and him picking some fairly boring things to bitch about.

The Tabula Rasa one was gold though.

Quelle surprise with your posting history.

Can't really blme FullyRambolic for that, can we well! :D

EDIT: Tabula Rasa (dunno if the spelling is on purpose)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...punctuation/2326-Zero-Punctuation-Tabula-Rasa

VonGak!

Banned
Linkzg said:
this new one was hilarious
I only disliked the wanker salad parts, the rest seemed spot on funny as usual.

Too bad about the grinding part though, AllGamesRadio had a interview with the director where he managed to spark my interest because he wanted to avoid this illness of MMORPG. :( Oh well, better luck with the Agency.

tanod

when is my burrito
Rufus said:
*handjob*
*double handjob*

"That was the worst sequence I have ever done."

:lol

:lol :lol I'd kill for a GIF of that. I could get a lot of use out of that.

Brakara

Rufus said:
*handjob*
*double handjob*

"That was the worst sequence I have ever done."

:lol

1536061615_d5fef57e4c_o.jpg

"Extremely censored" :lol

I was a bit worried he'd trash Orange Box there, but I came away impressed and entertained. His only criticisms seemed valid and the Portal review was 100% correct. Awesome, awesome.

Bo130

One of the best so far. A few golden lines, I loved the fact that I fell right into the soccer reference :D :lol

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I was afraid he'll nitpick on really stupid stuff for comedy (as he said), but he didn't which is quite awesome.

I felt like his criticism about TF2 is legitimate but it doesn't change my opinion about the game (that it's super special awesome).
Right now it seems to me like his "reviews" are probably the most credible ones in the industry.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
"Fuck you, Portals great and if you don't think so you must be stupid!"
So so true...he nailed it on the head with portal.

firex

Broktune said:
When unknown gaming sites give well received/well reviewed games low scores, they are hammered with countless accusations. Mainly due to wanting to get publicity for their site. When you eventually read the review, it is usually shit. They got their hits, mission accomplished. I now feel the same with Zero punctuation/Yahtzee.

Hmmm, do I see a pattern? Bioshock, well received/reviewed. Hey, Yahtzee, why don't you create one of them there witty review things that bashes the game. Our site needs the hits. A month later, Halo 3 drops, same result. I would like to see him review a game BEFORE the masses so he doesn't have the chance to be oh so witty.

I know, I know, I just don't get it. No I do. I loved his past reviews, but the last two games (which are just unbelievably great games) getting thrashed for the reasons he says. I don't buy it. And I found that there was much less humor in this review than any of the past. This was just an all out assault on anyone that likes the game.

He should just go The Angry Video Game Nerd route and review past "bad" games and inject his unique humor into it. I know his site needs the pub, but I think he can do better.
Aww, someone's ass is sore from Yahtzee reaming their favorite mediocre 360 game.

Well, he does them weekly, every Wednesday, so it's not really a matter of "getting the drop" on the reviewing masses. Secondly, he says so right off the bat in the Bioshock review--people think he's not as funny if he's just praising the game, so he tears it to pieces and focuses on what he DIDN'T like. He still said Bioshock was one of the best games of the year, dude.

Thirdly, it's meant for COMEDY--and it IS goddamn funny.

Walshicus

firex said:
Aww, someone's arse is sore from Yahtzee reaming their favourite mediocre 360 game.
He hasn't "done" Battlestations Midway yet.

His Halo 3 piece made me try and purge whatever influence his other skits had on my opinion of their subject games. Having played Halo 3 for... probably days worth of non-consecutive time by now, I understand how off the mark he is with MY gaming tastes.

I can't help but think though - from the general change in his tone - how he'd have been better off with a fortnightly skit.

Mamesj

Banned
okay, I'm a dork but I'm happy the guy recognized the greatness of Portal :lol

Not the funniest ZP, but definitely right on the money.

When unknown gaming sites give well received/well reviewed games low scores, they are hammered with countless accusations. Mainly due to wanting to get publicity for their site. When you eventually read the review, it is usually shit. They got their hits, mission accomplished. I now feel the same with Zero punctuation/Yahtzee.

Hmmm, do I see a pattern? Bioshock, well received/reviewed. Hey, Yahtzee, why don't you create one of them there witty review things that bashes the game. Our site needs the hits. A month later, Halo 3 drops, same result. I would like to see him review a game BEFORE the masses so he doesn't have the chance to be oh so witty.

I know, I know, I just don't get it. No I do. I loved his past reviews, but the last two games (which are just unbelievably great games) getting thrashed for the reasons he says. I don't buy it. And I found that there was much less humor in this review than any of the past. This was just an all out assault on anyone that likes the game.

He should just go The Angry Video Game Nerd route and review past "bad" games and inject his unique humor into it. I know his site needs the pub, but I think he can do better.

It was only a matter of time before someone cried about Yahtzee-- "It's funny until he attacks the games I like, wahhhhh :( "

Top Bottom