• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

I google imaged 'Housewife' and it was pretty dull. But then I saw that 'safesearch' is on by default. I turned it off and . . . Aaack! I'm at work! CLOSE WINDOW!

VonGak!

Banned
Google image search "Housewife"

istockphoto_1606296_angry_housewife.jpg

Colour me disappointed, expected something a little more X-rated.

VonGak!

Banned
Shard said:
More people need to watch Yahtzee.

I just hope they can looks past their bias just like I had with the Heavenly Sword 2 review. ^.^

Yates is doing it for laughs but I'm seriously beginning to consider to use ZeroPunctuation as a guide for my game purchases.

EDIT to elaborate: I'm going to watch his complaints before getting Uncharted adn KillZone 2.

I'm amazed after four/five weeks this thread is on four pages. I mean a single VGCats gets twice as many; proof that many on here prefer hating on something to singing it's praises.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
RubberJohnny said:
I'm amazed after four/five weeks this thread is on four pages. I mean a single VGCats gets twice as many; proof that many on here prefer hating on something to singing it's praises.

At least this thread has longevity on its side.

Aaron

I agree with his review as far as it goes. Playing Halo 3 alone comes across as rather bland with a difficulty that let's you glide on by until it spikes to near impossible, but I'd also say Halo 3 was never meant to be played alone, and if you stuck your head in the sand and bought it blindly, solely to playing it by yourself, you missed the whole point. For the same reason you shouldn't buy Forza 2 expecting a Ridge Racer experience.

GhaleonQ

*applauds wildly*

Anyway, if you didn't like it that much, he says that he did it on short notice after much begging, meaning next week's will have been prepared for 2 weeks.

Prime crotch said:
Come on not even a Halo 3 review gets people interessed? I expected GAF to have explode by now.

Is it in the official thread? I think it needs to be in the official thread yes.

And it's awesome as always.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Aaron said:
I agree with his review as far as it goes. Playing Halo 3 alone comes across as rather bland with a difficulty that let's you glide on by until it spikes to near impossible, but I'd also say Halo 3 was never meant to be played alone, and if you stuck your head in the sand and bought it blindly, solely to playing it by yourself, you missed the whole point. For the same reason you shouldn't buy Forza 2 expecting a Ridge Racer experience.
I agree.
I enjoyed my experience with the Halo 3 campaign much more when playing on co-op, and I'm sure playing on 4-player co-op will be even better albeit easy because the game doesn't scale the difficulty.
When playing on co-op I found the game to be better than Bioshock at times and while the game was pretty easy (I played on Heroic) it wasn't annoying easy where sometimes you didn't even bother to go get any ammo because you can just whack your enemies with a wrench while dying constantly until they die.

Sorry I wrote this respond here because it would make more sense putting it in the official Halo 3 thread but I don't really give a damn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Danne-Danger said:
Is it in the official thread? I think it needs to be in the official thread yes.

And it's awesome as always.

This is the official thread, for Zero Punctuation.

Dolphin

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't think this guy is maddeningly funny? He's got that crappy anecdotal reference type humor like Dennis Miller in a speedboat while drinking moonshine and shooting coke while getting reared by a mule and forgetting to inject his insulin and being hypoglycemic lololololol.

Yeah.

Bliddo

Prime crotch said:
Come on not even a Halo 3 review gets people interessed? I expected GAF to have explode by now.
It's sad. I show his reviews to many people, spamming around, but there's little interest in this geniousish awesomness.... uhm, just like Psychonauts :D

VonGak!

Banned
Dolphin said:
Am I the only one who doesn't think this guy is maddeningly funny? He's got that crappy anecdotal reference type humor like Dennis Miller in a speedboat while drinking moonshine and shooting coke while getting reared by a mule and forgetting to inject his insulin and being hypoglycemic lololololol.

Yeah.

A lot more more fun than what you just dished up with. ^.^ Doesn't say a lot though as you make me seem funny too.

Dolphin

Banned
VonGak! said:
A lot more more fun than what you just dished up with. ^.^ Doesn't say a lot though as you make me seem funny too.
Then I guess you didn't get my post at all. Congrats.

**hint, my post was supposed to be the opposite of funny.

Funny shite... I'll see you in the mines.

LakeEarth said:
Reviewing Halo based on its single player experience is like saying tennis sucks when you play against a wall.

I think the point is it shouldn't be like that... yet it is.

Extremely funny as usual but also overly harsh as usual. Halo 3 is clearly an above average game. But he is certainly right about a lot of the faults. The game is pretty short and if you are not into multi-player (which is Halo 3's main strength), you may be in for disappointment. I popped it in last night and in just a short few hours I found myself half-way through the game. I'm sure I'll replay on a harder difficulty & in co-op but after the extremely long development time and given the big dev team, I expected it to be a bit longer.

And vehicle aspects are the best mechanic in the game . . . but the AI is retarded on you side. The turret guys are OK but the drivers are awful . . . and that kinda sucks because I'd rather operate the turret than be the driver.

Another weird issue with driving is ammo supply. When attacking the scarab (which is insanely cool!) I could be the rocket-man, but I quickly run out of rockets and I had no idea where to find more. But if I drove, my rocket-man seemed to carry an infinite supply of rockets . . . so I end up being the driver again. It isn't quite so satisfying to bring down the scarab by being the driver. I wanna shoot it!

VonGak! said:
I just hope they can looks past their bias just like I had with the Heavenly Sword 2 review. ^.^

Yates is doing it for laughs but I'm seriously beginning to consider to use ZeroPunctuation as a guide for my game purchases.

You would never buy another game if you did that. Basically, he seems biased against everything. :lol

GDJustin said:
...first one I didn't laugh at :(
Halo 3 fanboy confirmed. :D

Get over it . . . the game is clearly great but he hates it like he hates everything.

C'mon . . . you didn't find what he said about the AI drivers & turret guys funny?

Dolphin said:
Wouldn't that just mean he's not biased against anything?

No . . . if he were not biased against anything, he'd actually give something a good review. I agree that his bias is pretty equal . . . it is against everything.

I dare anyone say they did not laugh at Carl Weathers joke.
Linkzg said:
a message at the end says this wasnt what he had planned, but he switched it for some reason to Halo 3.
The Escapist "moneyhated" him into it.

xbhaskarx

LakeEarth said:
Reviewing Halo based on its single player experience is like saying tennis sucks when you play against a wall.

That is true, but Zero Punctuation is not so much serious game reviews as it is game related humor. And it wouldn't be very funny to just praise a game (see BioShock/Psychonauts).

Dolphin

Banned
speculawyer said:
No . . . if he were not biased against anything, he'd actually give something a good review. I agree that his bias is pretty equal . . . it is against everything.
No, if he gives everything a bad review then he's giving fair treatment to everything. Fairness is the opposite of bias.

Walshicus

speculawyer said:
Halo 3 fanboy confirmed. :D

Get over it . . . the game is clearly great but he hates it like he hates everything.

C'mon . . . you didn't find what he said about the AI drivers & turret guys funny?

I'd have found it funny had I either no experience of Halo's AI [where I would be free to take his words at face value], or had my experience covered the behaviour he described. Someone making fun of the sky always being green when I've only ever seen it being blue makes me less likely to see the humour.

Prime crotch said:
I dare anyone say they did not laugh at Carl Weathers joke.

I didn't laugh because I didn't realize it was a joke . . . I thought that character really was Carl Weathers . . . it looks spot on like him. Carl should sue to get some money for stealing his likeness.

JCtheMC

speculawyer said:
Basically, he seems biased against everything.

And how is this a bad thing? I'm pretty much the same and i still manage to buy a handful of games a year. (Rentals ftw).

Sir Fragula said:
I'd have found it funny had I either no experience of Halo's AI [where I would be free to take his words at face value], or had my experience covered the behaviour he described. Someone making fun of the sky always being green when I've only ever seen it being blue makes me less likely to see the humour.

You've never had the AI drive like an idiot? Really? You gotta be kidding me!

speculawyer said:
I didn't laugh because I didn't realize it was a joke . . . I thought that character really was Carl Weathers . . . it looks spot on like him. Carl should sue to get some money for stealing his likeness.
I always took him as more of a Aliens drill sargent rip-off. It's the same exact character right down to the cigar. And that's why I love him lol

Top Bottom