• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

I feel Thief suffers from the same problems that Hitman Absolution suffered from.
The game mechanics feel really good and updated to the current standard of things. The atmosphere is there, but the whole thing is let down by the story and level design.

Basically I think Hitman and Thief could be very similar from a level perspective. All I want is a vast open Level with an objective of steal this or kill that. How you do it is up to you. The game hardly ever offers that much freedom. Even the large levels are pitifully small and linear.

various other pet peeves that are bothering me.
  • sooooo many doors I cannot open
  • the whole process of opening windows takes far too long. Especially once I've opened it once it should be quicker to go through it again.
  • Windows that lead me to another section of the level (load time) as opposed to just a room. How often I have wanted to just see what's behind a window to be forced to load the next section that I never wanted to go to in the first place.
  • Flats and houses seem very unnatural especially due to all the doors I cannot pass through.

Just like Hitman I am enjoying it enough to continue playing and I will in all likelihood go on to platinum it, but It's just not as much fun as it could have been....

SJRB

Gold Member
The time it takes to open the windows is 100% loading-related. Prying open windows masks loading for the next area, but since this game is pretty poorly optimized it takes way longer than it should and makes traversing any area more of a chore than a pleasant experience.

It's beyond absurd that even a three-room house is instanced and hidden behind a seperate loading screen anyway, I seriously do not understand why anyone in the team thought this was acceptable.

urhg something I completely forgot is how bad the sound is.

constant glitches of soundtracks playing double with a second delay.
also it always sounds as if the people were right behind me, no matter where they are. Very surreal to hear a conversation from two people on the other side of a solid wall as if they where right behind you.

Social

urhg something I completely forgot is how bad the sound is.

constant glitches of soundtracks playing double with a second delay.
also it always sounds as if the people were right behind me, no matter where they are. Very surreal to hear a conversation from two people on the other side of a solid wall as if they where right behind you.

Yes, so much this! The sound in this game is terrible

Is this patch to fix the savegame issues people were having a few weeks ago? I stopped playing at that point.

Hopefully this also fixes the fucktastically broken directional audio.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this for Xbox One, but the reviews and impressions (while not terrible) have been putting me off. What I really want is a nice open city, exploration and stealth alongside replayable missions. There are quite a few different views about this game, which means I may find it a reasonable experience. Not sure.

nevermind it looks like its the client jobs that i want to play. the basso jobs were the short ones ive been playing

Yeah, the basso jobs are just short side missions in the main city hub that you don't zone into anywhere for usually. They're pretty skippable but some can be tricky in figuring out how to get some place.

The actual side missions are their own unique environments and storylines, some of them are pretty good and I would put them on the same level as some of the best actual main missions really. They should have done a better job of differentiating the client jobs from the city missions because they did put a ton of work into them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anything good in the patch notes?

Looks like mostly bug fixes which is good. Some mention of fixing sound, texture streaming, memory leaks, etc.

Speaking of sound...not sure if its my headset but the positional audio seems bad. Lotta times where I thought there were bad guys around me because the voices were so loud. Turns out the person wasn't even inside the building with me.

Oh and let's not even get started about House of Blossoms. I wasn't even
peeping in the room anymore and you could still hear the guy getting slapped
from far away. lol

JJD

Patch notes from the Thief forum:

Hey folks.. Just like the PS3 Patch the PS4 patch has just gone live. This should update all disc and digital users.. Both US and EU..

The EU patch is larger then the US patch as it includes some language fixes which the US version does not support.

As the code base was the same across all versions, this means the same fixes are made across all.. Put into individual threads tho so each platform can report back

XB1 TBC..

Fix list:
GENERAL FIXES (ALL SKU)
Fix several missing documents in the game
Fixed values for obstruction/occlusion
Fixed Credits music
Improved Map 021 music levels.
Overrode Occlusion values for opened portal to a proper value.
Fixed QuestGiver SmartObjects weren't playing their sounds on the right
Prevent use of the back button on Collection Rewards screen.
Make the Spectral Aspect trinket actually do something
Fixed ScaleForm video not supporting 7.1 configuration and fallbacking to mono.
Fixed Overall music volume. (-6dBFS)
Fixed Mesh Obstruction being set to 0% / 0% on everything.
Fixed music in map 065. (-18dBFS)
Accessing MenuScreenMC when its probably NULL because of a message that is not sent within a good timing
Prevent saving regular checkpoint while interacting with a streaming window as it would result in a OOW on reload.
Stat overwriting bug fix with global stats
Fixing the save/load problems caused with the timestamps of save files. ("Future save file" bugs)
EUROPE SPECIFIC FIXES
Prevent PawnHero to be teleported too low when applying checkpoint record on the player controller after being saved crouched. *Crouch is well supported when applying checkpoint record to the PawnHero, but the player controller do a SetLocation on is pawn before we applying checkpoint to it
Fixed music not having its gameplay state set in the 060A challenge map.
Russian Wav plus Video

Thanks for the patch notes JJD.

Fixed values for obstruction/occlusion
Fixed Mesh Obstruction being set to 0% / 0% on everything.
Could these be fixes to the positional/through-wall audio issues?

Make the Spectral Aspect trinket actually do something.
Hilarious :)

Accessing MenuScreenMC when its probably NULL because of a message that is not sent within a good timing
Prevent saving regular checkpoint while interacting with a streaming window as it would result in a OOW on reload.
wut

legbone

strange, ps4 copy is not updating for me. just picked up the game today since it was like 44 bucks. so it updated once (135 mb) and is now version 1.02. the patch notes do not reflect today's patch (which i understand was like 800 mb or so). what is the current version number after today's patch and is there anyway to force the game to update? i have turned off the ps4 and restarted, etc. guess i'll play something else and try again later.

edit: also, does this game make anybody else's ps4 disc drive make funny noises like it's trying to read but just keeps making strange noises? it's starting to worry me. it does it while just sitting on the xmb bar or whatever it's called on ps4. won't quit trying to read the disc or some shit. this thing may be going back before it kills my drive.

JJD

strange, ps4 copy is not updating for me. just picked up the game today since it was like 44 bucks. so it updated once (135 mb) and is now version 1.02. the patch notes do not reflect today's patch (which i understand was like 800 mb or so). what is the current version number after today's patch and is there anyway to force the game to update? i have turned off the ps4 and restarted, etc. guess i'll play something else and try again later.

edit: also, does this game make anybody else's ps4 disc drive make funny noises like it's trying to read but just keeps making strange noises? it's starting to worry me. it does it while just sitting on the xmb bar or whatever it's called on ps4. won't quit trying to read the disc or some shit. this thing may be going back before it kills my drive.

The patch for the US version of Thief is just 135MB. The EU is 800MB because some language fixes that are not needed on the US version (since english is the only language avaliable).

If I'm not mistaken this is the second patch for PS4 Thief, there was a day 1 patch as well. Did you download that one too?

legbone

nevermind i'm an idiot. thanks for the post above. i just noticed the mention in the thread of the size differences. anyway, no there was just one patch (the 135 mb one) and it brought me up to version 1.02. is that the version you are on? because the notes on the patch i have don't match anything like the notes above. but i will check again.

edit: and btw, took the disc out and gave it a good cleaning and the strange disc drive noises stopped. don't know what the hell that was about.

yet another edit: playing through the prologue and i am loving the art style of this game. this is the first thief game i have ever played so maybe i won't expect too much from it. prologue seems very linear but i'm sure that will change since it's a tutorial.

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't feel like the patch really fixed any of the audio issues with the game. still feels like the positional audio is off a lot of times :\

I just started ch 8. This game reminds me of deus ex invisible war, in terms of each area being 50' x 50' with a hundred loading times. The whole point of the game IMO is to sneak through a vast area using whichever method you discover (build it realistically, so I can find interesting oaths, as opposed to building it with a couple set obvious paths). What the hell is with those blue mesh things everywhere? Immersion breaking. Garrett is dull as shit and so are the bad guys. I just don't care. The game is depressing and disappointing.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone know what this weeks update was for? Hadn't played the game since it's week of release so wondered if they have corrected stability with it in terms of frame rate.

Definitely worth 17$, if not more.

Despite the valid criticism, I have about 30 hours on the game and most of them were enjoyable so yeah.
Yeah, there is definitely some oppressive stealth goodness to be found here, even with the audio and repeated dialogue issues. I still go back to it from time to time (master difficulty, full ghost - no takedowns, no alerts) because the game scratches that exploration and patient scanning of the environment itch.

I'm playing right now on ps4 and wow what a shitty port it is :O

Constant stuttering, small levels with long loading times.....
Even pre-rendered cutscenes are stuttering ._.

Is this currently the worst game on ps4 (technical side of things) ?

3bdelilah

Banned
I've been playing the PS3 a few days now, I've done every possible side quest and client jobs, and I have started Chapter 5 an hour ago, having played 16:42 hours thus far. Sweet lord all mighty this part is some scary ass shit, almost forgot I was playing Thief, lol. I love this part. Pretty curious as to where they're going from here.

But overall a pretty disappointing game and thus far definitely worth the scores it got (66-70). At this point I'd give it a 7 as well. The stealth works fine, atmosphere and art is stellar, but everything else is very subpar. Ridiculously linear for a Thief game (from what I've heard, never played the original trilogy) with some very shallow extra entrances and exits, and The City is a hell to explore.

Despite that, I really hope there'll be a sequel. I can see them turn around the bad stuff in this one. Especially the nonlinearity should be a top priority, as well as a much better executed hub.

malfcn

Played a demo and was hard to get over the stuttering and jittery feel. And those load times. But the atmosphere looked fantastic.

SJRB

Gold Member
Played a demo and was hard to get over the stuttering and jittery feel. And those load times. But the atmosphere looked fantastic.

I don't remember stutters in the retail version [PS4].

But yeah, the atmosphere is absolutely aces, they really nailed the look and feel of the city. Atmosphere is the best part about this game by far.

3bdelilah

Banned
I've been playing the PS3 a few days now, I've done every possible side quest and client jobs, and I have started Chapter 5 an hour ago, having played 16:42 hours thus far. Sweet lord all mighty this part is some scary ass shit, almost forgot I was playing Thief, lol. I love this part. Pretty curious as to where they're going from here.

But overall a pretty disappointing game and thus far definitely worth the scores it got (66-70). At this point I'd give it a 7 as well. The stealth works fine, atmosphere and art is stellar, but everything else is very subpar. Ridiculously linear for a Thief game (from what I've heard, never played the original trilogy) with some very shallow extra entrances and exits, and The City is a hell to explore.

Despite that, I really hope there'll be a sequel. I can see them turn around the bad stuff in this one. Especially the nonlinearity should be a top priority, as well as a much better executed hub.

Just finished the game in 27 hours, having done every Basso and Client job there is. The first part of chapter 5 was definitely my biggest, if not only, highpoint of the main story. I honestly enjoyed the Basso and Client jobs more than the actual story, I think the first really made you feel like a thief, whereas the main story went a different direction with the
Primal Stones and Freaks
. Might be me, but this game felt pretty linear as FUCK, especially during the main story. The City is an absolute maze in terms of exploration, it was very dense and claustrophobic as a result (not sure if it was intentional), I did NOT like that.

Nevertheless, I hope and kind of expect there to be a sequel to this reboot. Atmosphere and art design were rock solid, hopefully there will more open areas like Dishonored where you can choose how you tackle objectives. In this game, I found the player freedom very artificial and shallow.

7/10 for me, and, in hindsight, I definitely agree with the reviews they gave this. Played it on the PS3, for those who are curious.

Dries

Started this, loving it, but can't get my Dolby 7.1 surround sound headset to work? I don't have any surround sound at all. Does this sound familiar to anyone? PC btw.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Finally finished the game today.
The Sneaking and gameplay in general are pretty good.
The Story is mid-tier, but mainly because of the references to previous thief games.
The bugs are really bad.

Overall a good game if you enjoy sneaking/stealth games.
A bad game if you expected a new Thief like previous titles or if you enjoy rich story driven games.

Sid

I'm an hour into it and my main issues with this game so far are:-
-Super Focus on collectibles
-Segregated level design
-Loading screens

Top Bottom