• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thieves steal $2m worth of Wii (Wii U?) consoles

Doorman

I've said this in another Wii U naming thread elsewhere, but while I'm not really a fan of the name, the name "Wii U" is not the reason why all of this brand confusion exists. At least, it's only one factor among many. It's a problem that Nintendo has consistently reinforced since the very first reveal of the system two years ago--rather I should say, the reveal of the controller.

The same logo, the same colors, very little focus ever placed on showing the actual new console itself (even on most static ads you see, it looks like the console is literally hiding behind the gamepad, devaluing it), no first-party games that, at a glance, drive home the point that the system is notably more powerful than the original Wii. Nintendo put all their eggs into the basket of the gamepad controller being the major selling point, that even those interested in the 'pad aren't sure what they're actually buying anymore. This is not a problem with the name, it's a problem with the entire message.

tEhLoNeR

Neo Member
I'm surprised they were able to load all those Wii Us without getting caught, given how slow the Wii U load times are.

6zomb.gif

really though, where the hell are they going to sell all of that crap?

Socreges

Banned
I ughh not sure how to break this news to you
What made you think I care? In fact if anything I want it to sell poorly so it drops in price sooner and Nintendo learns some lessons.

I'm surprised they were able to load all those Wii Us without getting caught, given how slow the Wii U load times are.
How not to write a joke.

I'm surprised they were able to get all of them in the truck without getting caught, given how slow the Wii U load times are.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Do they plan to try to sell them on eBay? If so they're in for a bit of a surprise themselves.

It's organized crime.
No surprise if they're in a shipping container to another part of the world now.
The muscle who did all the loading etc might have only gotten 1-10grand each and someone else likely flips them in bulk for $200-500k.
It's not like they rocked up to some random factory and stole anything it's all calculated with big heists.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Damn, so much Wii U hate.

It's amazing that thefts like this happen. I hope they get caught so that the Wii Us properly get to gamers and families that want them.

Fox318

“If we don’t get any tips ahead of time, it will be the selling of these consoles that will lead to their capture,” said West. “It’s gonna be pretty hard to hide 7,000 Wii game consoles.”

It'll be hard to sell them period.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So much ether in this thread.

Wii u will go down as one of the biggest clusterfucks in gaming history.

man, talk about haters and their tendency towards hating.

also, some nice fresh and original observational comedic stylings in this thread. Truly unexpected and clever subject matter combined with the sharpest wit. anyway, that's a shame about the theft

Dueck

Banned

1622326_o.gif

They probably just kept saying "Wii U, Wii U, Wii U" as they were taking them, thus making those within earshot believe the police had already been called... Sorry, I'm terrible.

Dueck

Banned
Should read "thieves managed to get a Wii".

Love it. Classic punnage.

Wouldn't Nintendo have a way to identify the stolen ones by serial number? They seem pretty up tight about this sort of stuff, like monitoring their products. Also worth noting, if eBay is anything to go by, the retail value isn't what the thieves will be selling them for these days. I like my Wii U, but I'm not blind to the fact it isn't lighting the world on fire.

Stronty

Yep, as soon as these hot WiiU go online, the system will send out an sos with the stolen serial number. Since these are region locked NTSC the market is a bit limited, I doubt they would end up in Japan, they will probably stay in NA. They would probably sell well in Mexico at a serious discount.

Wii U isnt Virtual Boy level of failure, nor New Coke marketing debacle, maybe more of a 32X level of product dilution/confusion. Heck, 32x told you that you 'stick it in your Genesis' making it absolutely clear it was an add on device. Maybe an all new brand was needed for WIi U, I guess they wanted to recreate the massive popularity of the original WII's launch.

mokeyjoe

Yep, as soon as these hot WiiU go online, the system will send out an sos with the stolen serial number. Since these are region locked NTSC the market is a bit limited, I doubt they would end up in Japan, they will probably stay in NA. They would probably sell well in Mexico at a serious discount.

Wii U isnt Virtual Boy level of failure, nor New Coke marketing debacle, maybe more of a 32X level of product dilution/confusion. Heck, 32x told you that you 'stick it in your Genesis' making it absolutely clear it was an add on device. Maybe an all new brand was needed for WIi U, I guess they wanted to recreate the massive popularity of the original WII's launch.

To be honest even 'Wii 2' would have worked better. It's also a bit of a pun like Wii U, as well as clearly describing a successor system.

drspeedy

You can actually do something similar with an Xbox. You can use 3 consoles to display a Forza game across three TVs.

Wait, 3 consoles?

Only Forza?

Seems like a lot of effort just for something like this...

Back on topic: LOLZ! 'Journalism' in 'murica is as sloppy and unreliable as we unwashed masses. Honey BooBoo for president!

deviljho

Wait, 3 consoles? Only Forza? Seems like a lot of effort just for something like this...

Well, enthusiasts like it. And I think, theoretically, it can be done with any game on the Xbox, but MS seems to have no problem throwing money at the Forza guys. The devs didn't have to do it, but did anyway.

Forza would be the only reason I'd buy a 360, except I'm not into racing games much.

Top Bottom