• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Black Musician Explains Why He is Friends With White Supremacists

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Netflix (US) has just put up a recently made Documentary on Daryl Davis.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/accidental-courtesy/

8ed4877a1457b3ab06ef594ab4c7de9ee4da6293.jpg

Sunster

I watched this on PBS. I get his idea and have respect for him but he was rude to those activists in Baltimore.

So speaking of rural, what are democrats expecting to get out of outreaching? Do we aim in swing states to get them to vote against their reps. What are some realistic goals because simply diving in expecting them to turn around on everything seems impossible. They couldnt do the same to a Democrat afterall. What's a realistic goal for rural outreach?

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, this guy has been doinng stuff like this for a while and it's wholly commendable. I think it's great, though certainly not anywhere near the only avenue for dealing with racism and hatred.

Edit: didn't realize this is an old thread.

Jakten

Sounds more like White Supremacists happy to have a "Black Friend" to point to when people call them racist. Of course they will like you if you allow yourself to be useful to them. It's nice that he is trying to change their hearts and minds but I have a hard time believing that they are truly friends with him in good faith.

I just watched a trailer on this and thought it was really interesting in light of the recent climate. Has anyone seen this film? Is it good?

Watched it like a month ago. My knowledge on the subject counts for shit, but I found it interesting. I think that MHWilliams opinions offered earlier in the thread are where mine are, that the guy has donated a lot of his time and has managed to produce some fantastic results, but that this probably isn't the most efficient way to go about fighting racism in America.

I think the most interesting scene in the movie though is he sits down with some important young figures from Baltimore BLM to discuss his work and the broader struggle. They butt heads though, they see him as having wasted his time helping white racists, when he could've been helping black people. He gets disrespectfully defensive about it and they part having definitely not seen eye to eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom