• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the greatest videogame patent I've ever read

gold45revolver said:
exatcly! that is why the bible is the worst-selling book of stories of all time!

I'm not sure why I'm trying to have a serious conversation here, but here we go.

You're right that the Bible sells well, but it sells only to people that heartily believe in its message. Do you agree that only people with a far right, libertarian point of view would play your games?

Foil

pepsi-pdf.jpg

3.gif

ProfessorLobo said:
I'm not sure why I'm trying to have a serious conversation here, but here we go.

You're right that the Bible sells well, but it sells only to people that heartily believe in its message. Do you agree that only people with a far right, libertarian point of view would play your games?

The bible is the #1 best-selling book of all time, as well as the bestselling book year in and year out.

Everyone would play the gold 45 revolver games, as the ideas have consequences technology could adapt to different ideas, ideals, and philosophies.

gold45revolver said:
The bible is the #1 best-selling book of all time, as well as the bestselling book year in and year out.

Everyone would play the gold 45 revolver games, as the ideas have consequences technology could adapt to different ideas, ideals, and philosophies.

What if I made a game where you were a poor factory worker and to win you could either kill the pig capitalists, or offer them some Marxist literature to change their ways. Would that be a good game?

Gomu Gomu said:
Excellent post. However, I do believe that this guy is either joking, or hopelessly fool.

edit: eh, his last post pretty much confirm it.

What's so infuriating is that there's plenty of evidence that this person has a legitimate PhD (admittedly not in classical lit). He even seems to be taken seriously in his own field, earning grants from respected institutions. This "hero's journey in entrepreneurship" stuff is classic Objectivism--nothing worth getting perturbed over. The concept of promoting morality in gaming is pretty main-stream conservative as well, but the patent nonsense and the man's posts in this thread are WAYYYY off the deep end.

I have four thoughts:
1) This is one of his disgruntled students from UNC, attempting to impersonate and discredit the man (this does not explain the patents).
2) He's had some kind of breakdown / is genuinely disturbed.
3) He sees no connection between the internet and his real life, which allows him to treat the online space as his personal playtoy, forgetting that his bosses at UNC (if he still teaches there) would be horrified to see his absolutely nutty posts on this forum.
4) The man is some kind of Sacha Baron Cohen--an undercover comedian who grew bored of his work and decided to dazzle the anti-intellectual (yet desperate to have their worldview validated by "research") conservatives with a few (mis)placed academic-sounding words (fiatocracy, etc).

Bob Loblaw said:

that physics stuff reminds me of my Moving Dimensions physics theory!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/238

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest [back]
TOPIC: Time as an Emergent Phenomenon: Traveling Back to the Heroic Age of Physics by Elliot McGucken [refresh]
Elliot McGucken wrote on Aug. 25, 2008 @ 18:38 GMT Essay Abstract

In his 1912 Manuscript on Relativity, Einstein never stated that time is the fourth dimension, but rather he wrote x4 = ict. The fourth dimension is not time, but ict. Despite this, prominent physicists have oft equated time and the fourth dimension, leading to un-resolvable paradoxes and confusion regarding time’s physical nature, as physicists mistakenly projected properties of the three spatial dimensions onto a time dimension, resulting in curious concepts including frozen time and block universes in which the past and future are omni-present, thusly denying free will, while implying the possibility of time travel into the past, which visitors from the future have yet to verify. Beginning with the postulate that time is an emergent phenomenon resulting from a fourth dimension expanding relative to the three spatial dimensions at the rate of c, diverse phenomena from relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics are accounted for. Time dilation, the equivalence of mass and energy, nonlocality, wave-particle duality, and entropy are shown to arise from a common, deeper physical reality expressed with dx4/dt=ic. This postulate and equation, from which Einstein’s relativity is derived, presents a fundamental model accounting for the emergence of time, the constant velocity of light, the fact that the maximum velocity is c, and the fact that c is independent of the velocity of the source, as photons are but matter surfing a fourth expanding dimension. In general relativity, Einstein showed that the dimensions themselves could bend, curve, and move. The present theory extends this principle, postulating that the fourth dimension is moving independently of the three spatial dimensions, distributing locality and fathering time. This physical model underlies and accounts for time in quantum mechanics, relativity, and statistical mechanics, as well as entropy, the universe’s expansion, and time’s arrows.

Author Bio

“Dr. E” received a B.A. in physics from Princeton University and a Ph.D. in physics from UNC Chapel Hill, where his research on an artificial retina, which is now helping the blind see, appeared in Business Week and Popular Science and was awarded a Merrill Lynch Innovations Grant. While at Princeton, McGucken worked on projects concerning quantum mechanics and general relativity with the late John Wheeler, and the projects combined to form an appendix treating time as an emergent phenomenon in his dissertation. McGucken is writing a book for the Artistic Entrepreneurship & Technology (artsentrepreneurship.com) curriculum he created.

http://fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/McGucken_Time_as_an_Emergen.pdf?
http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachme...EIMAGINARY_NUMBERS_IMPLY_PERPENDICULARITY.pdf
http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/1_Moving_Dimensions_Theory__Heros_Journey_Physics.pdf

http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/wheeler_recommendation_mcgucken_medium.jpg

Gomu Gomu

^ ugh...
CreativeWriter said:
What's so infuriating is that there's plenty of evidence that this person has a legitimate PhD (admittedly not in classical lit). He even seems to be taken seriously in his own field, earning grants from respected institutions. This "hero's journey in entrepreneurship" stuff is classic Objectivism--nothing worth getting perturbed over. The concept of promoting morality in gaming is pretty main-stream conservative as well, but the patent nonsense and the man's posts in this thread are WAYYYY off the deep end.

I have four thoughts:
1) This is one of his disgruntled students from UNC, attempting to impersonate and discredit the man (this does not explain the patents).
3) He sees no connection between the internet and his real life, which allows him to treat the online space as his personal playtoy, forgetting that his bosses at UNC (if he still teaches there) would be horrified to see his absolutely nutty posts on this forum.
4) The man is some kind of Sacha Baron Cohen--an undercover comedian who grew bored of his work and decided to dazzle the anti-intellectual (yet desperate to have their worldview validated by "research") conservatives with a few (mis)placed academic-sounding words (fiatocracy, etc).

Good god, I hope it's this.

CreativeWriter said:

I have four thoughts:

I'd go with #4.

either that or a major gaming company created me to pre-hype a "Gold 45 Revolver" game that is just now entering development.

genius!

http://gold45revolver.com

sure beats EA's hiring fake christians to protest their dante's inferno game. think about that. ea's take on hell is sooooo lame that christian's don't care about it, so ea has to hire fake christians to protest it. loooooooooooosers! L!! google it if you don't believe me.

Alivor

Ok, so they're gonna develop this right? I can't wait to see how much I influence the fate of the world according to my treatment of women quoting Lenin and how I treat hookers!

EmCeeGramr said:

http://dantesinfernogame.com
http://greatbooksgames.com
http://www.google.com/patents/about...+and+method+for+video+game:+system+and+method

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=328064

"Games From Great Books
Posted by: Arthur Hermansen at June 24, 2005 6:45:32 PM

Great Books Games aims to develop gaming franchises centered about rich stories contained in the Great Books. Dante's Inferno, with it's descent through nine levels of Hell and ever-more-sinster demons leading to a three-headed Satan, is the obvious place to start.

Further projected titles for development are:
The first ten Great Books Games will be:

1. Dante's Inferno
2. The Iliad
3. The Odyssey
4. Shakespeare's Hamlet
5. Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet
6. The Red Badge of Courage (Civil War)
7. Moby Dick
8. Treasure Island
9. Bible Stories
10. The Aeneid

Here's the link.

"

RangerWest Member since: 2/15/2005

Posted - 6/28/2005 11:26:31 AM
Here's a sample writeup of the Dante's Inferno Game from http://greatbooksgames.com.

Dante's Inferno Game: dantesinfernogame.com.

DANTE’S INFERNO GAME
Nine levels of hell. A three-headed Satan. One final duel.
ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER

D A N T E ‘ S I N F E R N O G A M E
by Dr. Elliot McGucken

Dante’s Inferno is a first-person shooter that will be built with the Kismet Visual Scripting System™ included in the Unreal 3.0 Engine® that will be released with Unreal Tournament 2007®.

With its classic story, fierce demons, rich imagery, and a cornucopia of pre-existing classical art depicting a descent through nine levels of Hell on towards the three-headed Satan himself, The Inferno naturally implies a video game.

Gameplay: In the Great Books Game’s version, Dante must save the sinners from their demons—demons that have overtaken their bodies and transformed them into monsters. In each level of Hell, Dante battles the ever-more-sinister monsters, and upon defeating them, the original sinner is separated from the demon and allowed to escape to purgatory. Dante must separate the sinners from their sins to descend to the next level, en route to battling Satan.

Design Team: Great Books Games is currently recruiting artists and level designers to help realize a version of Dante’s Inferno that’s as close as possible to Dante’s original version. The official development will start in 2006, with the release of Unreal 2007.

Blending Public Domain & Proprietary: The game will utilize public domain art, music, art, and architecture, and it will release both educational and commercial versions of the game.

Design Philosophy: Modders may donate art and artwork utilizing Creative Commons licenses, or GBG may pay for the design/development of certain aspects of the game. GBG will develop an archive of artwork for Dante’s Inferno as well as other Great Books including the Iliad and Odyssey, both public domain and proprietary, allowing the artists to define their rights and the price of their work.

Soundtrack: As Beethoven wrote nine symphonies and the Inferno has nine levels, Beethoven’s symphonies will accompany Dante during his descent through Hell. Imagine battling Satan to Beethoven’s ninth!!!

Join Us! Come one, come all, to greatbooksgames.com and dantesinfernogame.com. Whether you’re a modder, gamer, teacher, or fan of classical literature, come join us on this Great Books Games journey!

Preliminary design blueprint:
Canto Region Sin People Punishments
Preface to the Journey
Canto 1 The dark wood Despair Dante; the three beasts; Virgil n/a
Canto 2 The descent Fear Dante, Virgil n/a
The Gate of Hell
Canto 3 Vestibule of Hell The neutral;
uncommitted Pope Celestine V;
Charon Stung by insects; running after banners
Canto 4 Circle 1 Virtuous pagans;
unbaptized infants Homer, Socrates, Plato and other great pagans Afflicted by melancholy; desire without hope
Canto 5 Circle 2 Judgment

The lustful Minos send the wicked to everlasting torment, the good to the Elysian Fields
Dido; Paulo and Francesca

Blown forever by
stormy winds
Canto 6 Circle 3 The gluttons Ciacco Lying in mud, besieged by snow, hail and filthy water.
Guarded by Cerebus
Canto 7 Circle 4

Circle 5 The avaricious, prodigal;
The angry Condemned to useless labor

Attacking one another
Canto 8 Circle 5 The sullen Submerged in Styx, sighs rippling the water.
Transition to Lower Hell
The Realm of Violence and Fraud
Canto 9 Circle 6 Wall of the City of Dis The Furies;
Heavenly Messenger
Canto 10
Canto 11 Circle 6 The heretics Cavalcanti, Farinata; tomb prepared for Pope Anastasius Confined in burning tombs
Canto 12 Circle 7
- Round 1 Violent against neighbors and fellow men: murderers, war makers, homicides Alexander the Great
Attila the Hun
Chiron & Nessus Submerged in hot blood
Guarded by centaurs, who shoot any soul which attempts to rise
Canto 13 - Round 2 Violent against Self (suicides) della Vigna Enclosed in new bodies, as trees and bushes in a black, tangled wood.
Canto 14 - Round 3 Violent against God:
blasphemers, sodomites, usurers - stretched on burning sand
- running on burning sand
- huddled on burning sand
Canto 15 Round 3 cont. Sodomite Brunetto Latini Running
Canto 16 - Circle 8 - MALEBOGE
The Realm of Simple Fraud
Canto 17 - Bolgia 1 Panders and seducers Whipped by devils
Canto 18 - Bolgia 2 Flatterers Jason and others Covered with filth
Canto 19 - Bolgia 3 Simonists (sell ecclesiastical favors) Pope Nicholas III Turned upside down; fire on feet
Canto 20 - Bolgia 4 Fortune Tellers;
diviners Tieresias and others Heads twisted; turned backwards
Canto 21
Canto 22 - Bolgia 5 Grafters Covered by boiling pitch; harassed by devils
Canto 23 - Bolgia 6 Hypocrites Caiaphas Clad in leaden mantles
Canto 24
Canto 25 - Bolgia 7 Thieves Vanni Fucci Trapped in snake pit; hands bound
Canto 26
Canto 27 - Bolgia 8 Evil counselors Ulysses, Diomede, Guido Concealed in flames
Canto 28 - Bolgia 9 Sowers of Discord Mahomet Wounded, mutilated
Canto 29 - Bolgia 10 Alchemists Diseased
Canto 30 - Bolgia 10 Impersonators, Counterfeiters, False Witnesses Sinon Abusing one another
Canto 31 Edge of Pit Elemental Natures Giants: Nimrod, Ephialtes, Briareus, Tityos, Typon, Anteaus Consigned to the depths of the earth
Canto 32 - Circle 9 - Cocytus - Realm of Compound Fraud
Treachery against those to whom sinners have special ties
Canto 32 Round 1
Caina Traitors to family Held in ice, heads bent forward
Canto 33 Round 2
Antenora Traitors to country Archbishop Ruggieri;
Ugolino Gripped by ice
Canto 33
cont. Round 3
Ptolemea Murderers of Guests Held in ice; heads bent backwards
Canto 34 Round 3
Judecca Traitors to lords and benefactors; those who set out to destroy the rightful God. Judas, Brutus, Cassius,
Lucifer At the center of the Earth, completely submerged in ice. The three ultimate traitors are held in Lucifer's three mouths. Lucifer's three wings send forth freezing blasts of impotence, ignorance and hatred.
Canto 34 Round 3
Judecca The Ultimate Destroyer Lucifer Lucifer's three wings send forth freezing blasts of impotence, ignorance and hatred.

ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER
greatbooksgames.com

Dante's Inferno Game.

[Edited by - RangerWest on June 28, 2005 3:26:36 PM]

User Rating: 1015 | Rate This User Report this Post to a Moderator | Link

Conner McCloud Member since: 1/28/2001 From: Golden, CO

Posted - 6/28/2005 12:59:21 PM
Quote:Original post by RangerWest
Soundtrack: As Beethoven wrote nine symphonies and the Inferno has nine levels, Beethoven’s symphonies will accompany Dante during his descent through Hell. Imagine battling Satan to Beethoven’s ninth!!!

There we have it folks. Conclusive proof that these guys aren't complete idiots.

CM

--http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=328064&PageSize=25&WhichPage=2​

In accordance with the present invention, the morality feature can be programmed into any suitable video game using known programming techniques for the purpose of enhancing game play. As explained above, the morality of the player's character will be affected by decisions made, enemies faced, as well as any other suitable occurrences and choices that may relate to morality. As the character loses gains or loses morality, the environment and other in game characters, including but not limited to gods, angels, devils, and demons will change in a way that helps or hinders the player's character progress through the game. The present invention provides an added challenge and enables multiple possible scenarios, so that playing of the game may be different each time the game is played, resulting in different stories. Furthermore, deeper, more exalted stories will be realized by this invention. Furthermore, more meaningful relationships, both romantic and based on platonic friendship, will arise via the system and method for morality of the present invention. It is noted that the invention is particularly suited for implementation in action/adventure/RPG games, but that it may be used in any suitable video game or the like, such as MMORPGs, first person shooters, third person shooters, and others.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION PREFERRED EMBODIMENT #2: DANTE'S INFERNO GAME:
As Dante wrote about Beatrice—his true love who passed away—in La Vita Nuova:

After this sonnet there appeared to me a marvelous vision in which I saw things which made me decide to write no more of this blessed one until I could do so more worthily. And to this end I apply myself as much as I can, as she indeed knows. Thus, if it shall please Him by whom all things live that my life continue for a few years, I hope to compose concerning her what has never been written in rhyme of any woman. And then may it please Him who is the Lord of courtesy that my soul may go to see the glory of my lady, that is of the blessed Beatrice, who now in glory beholds the face of Him who is blessed forever.—Dante

Such sentiments must pervade video games in order for games to reach a higher level of art. A preferred embodiment of the present invention is the Dante's Inferno Game, which may incorporate morality either implicitly or explicitly via a moral level meter, the behavior of other in-game characters, and other means.

DANTE'S INFERNO GAME: Welcome to Dante's Inferno Game! We're a brand new game based on the Beatrice Game Engine! Sign up to be notified as we get underway!

Dante's Inferno is a first-person shooter that will be built with the Kismet Visual Scripting System™ included in the Unreal 3.0 Engine® that will be released with Unreal Tournament 2007®. The game may also be built with open source engines or GarageGames.com's Torque engine. At any rate, we aim to become a repository for content supporting Dante's Inferno, built upon Open Source CMS with a 22surf philosophy.

With its classic story, fierce demons, rich imagery, and a cornucopia of pre-existing classical art depicting a descent through nine levels of Hell on towards the three-headed Satan himself, The Inferno naturally implies a video game.

Gameplay: In the Great Books Game's version, Dante must save the sinners from their demons—demons that have overtaken their bodies and transformed them into monsters. In each level of Hell, Dante battles the ever-more-sinister monsters, and upon defeating them, the original sinner is separated from the demon and allowed to escape to purgatory. Dante must separate the sinners from their sins to descend to the next level, en route to battling Satan.

Dante's moral level may be displayed on the screen via a moral level meter 100 , and/or it may be manifested by how Beatrice interacts with him. If he shoots the sinners, his moral level meter 100 declines 111 . If he shoots the demons, his moral level meter 100 augments 110 . If he kills the sinners, his moral level declines 111 . If he kills the demons, his moral level augments 110 .

When Dante's moral level is high, he is visited by an angel named Beatrice who may help him or lead him on further through the game. When Dante's moral level is low, Beatrice does not visit him. Instead, when Dante's moral level is low, he is visited by demons who may impede his progress.

Design Team: Great Books Games is currently recruiting artists and level designers to help realize a version of Dante's Inferno that's as close as possible to Dante's original version. The official development will start in 2006, with the release of Unreal 2007.

Blending Public Domain & Proprietary: The game will utilize public domain art, music, art, and architecture, and it will release both educational and commercial versions of the game.

Design Philosophy: Modders may donate art and artwork utilizing Creative Commons licenses, or GBG may pay for the design/development of certain aspects of the game. GBG will develop an archive of artwork for Dante's Inferno as well as other Great Books including the Iliad and Odyssey, both public domain and proprietary, allowing the artists to define their rights and the price of their work.

Soundtrack: As Beethoven wrote nine symphonies and the Inferno has nine levels, Beethoven's symphonies will accompany Dante during his descent through Hell. Imagine battling Satan to Beethoven's ninth.​
--http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2007/0087798.html

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What happens if I hire the hooker but don't kill her? I must know!

Dan said:
What happens if I hire the hooker but don't kill her? I must know!

The Gold 45 Revolver just might glow gold at the end, allowing you to slay the dumbed-down feminist/fanboy fiatocracy vampires/communists with Zeus's lightning.

Can you see the new Trivial Pursuit question? "What famous vidoegame weapon glows gold and shoots Zeus's lightning?"

AAnd all you guys would pwn it!

gold45revolver said:
I'd go with #4.

either that or a major gaming company created me to pre-hype a "Gold 45 Revolver" game that is just now entering development.

No, Elliot McGucken appears to be a real, human person.

Option #5: We're witnessing some kind of performance art or academic experiment about group/social behavior (flocking?) on the internet?

CreativeWriter said:
No, Elliot McGucken appears to be a real, human person.

Option #5: We're witnessing some kind of performance art or academic experiment about group/social behavior (flocking?) on the internet?

in the next few weeks, i will let you guys in more and more; with concept art and all, as we lead up to the. . . . wait for it. . ..

wait for it. . ..

wait for it. . ..

OCTOBER SURPRISE!!!

Sibylus

Banned
gold45revolver said:
The Gold 45 Revolver just might glow gold at the end, allowing you to slay the dumbed-down feminist/fanboy fiatocracy vampires/communists with Zeus's lightning.

Can you see the new Trivial Pursuit question? "What famous vidoegame weapon glows gold and shoots Zeus's lightning?"

AAnd all you guys would pwn it!
It'd be better if the gun talked and demanded you do evil things.

You could visit the pawn shop and save the world.

Xdrive05

gold45revolver said:
exactly! that is why the bible is the worst-selling book of stories of all time!

So people purchase the bible because they enjoy the authoritarian ideologies they find within as a form of entertainment, like videogames?

And you expect to be taken seriously in this little megalomaniacal, victim complex powered venture of yours?

I hope to god a working-class vampire zombie redestributes your fiatocracy-granted wealth to feminists, MBAs, and fanboys who actually make their own fucking games (instead of pandering to others to do their own work for them - like any good collectivist would).

This is fucking unreal.

The guy who filed the patent happened to be a gaffer...
And he has websites...
But he created a retina chip (is this the same guy? mcgucken?)

I don't know.

popcorn.gif

Ok, could you present your concept in 2-3 sentences? For the people who don't have the time to conquer the huge walls of texts. D;

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm not a mod and I don't have any authority but for the love of GOD stop posting links to your fucking retarded sites in every fucking post.

beat said:
No one's even asked about why gold has intrinsic value yet?

Glad someone finally asked!!

In all my games/books/screenplays/patents/philosophy, the gold 45 revolver is actually any old revolver in the hands of someone doing the right thing--someone who has done the right thing throughout the game:

Not long ago, I addressed a UCLA MBA class, and a student recently emailed me:
Dr. E—Your lecture really stayed with me, and I've thought about it long after class. I am a recording artist so it resonated with me—the entrepreneur’s journey is similar to that of the mythic hero. . . I've had a Billboard charting single and music placements on TLC and VH1 but I'd been reluctant to really put myself completely into it because of the uncertainty involved—“the refusal of the call”. . . Now I see it as a natural process—as going into my own "departure" into the woods. Your lecture renewed my focus and energy. . . as it associated structure with what often feels like a chaotic journey. Sometimes failure, enemies, and refusal are part of the journey when one sets off to live by ideals and art—they don’t teach this in other classes, where failure to fit in to the corporate structure, which itself is corrupt, is failure. The way you apply mythology to entrepreneurship is innovative, inspiring, energizing and enlightening. There should be more classes like this in every MBA program, as it appealed to me as an artist and as an MBA. The mythological blueprint brings new meaning to the entrepreneurial/MBA experience, as one feels like a mythic hero on their own professional journey, where it’s OK to be fired as long as one has the truth on their side; as long as one never fires their own idealism. This stayed with me long after the class, as I started to see my life and professional progress as a great journey. I was energized with excitement for every part of the process—for like you said, although the The Lord of The Rings was about getting the ring to Mordor, what would have the nine-hour journey been without tests, allies, and enemies; without friends and epic battles? Would love a copy of The Gold 45 Revolver. I feel like sharing some music with you.

“I feel like sharing some music,”—is that not the fount of all greater wealth? Yes—the demand is there, and classic, epic mythology ought—and will—pervade tomorrow’s entrepreneurial curriculums; and that is why I want to give every student a Gold 45—to help them call the corporate-state bluffs of our times and move towards the natural, higher, epic, wealth-generating journey our corporate-oriented academies oppose, just as the machines concealed Neo’s greater destiny which lay beyond his cubicle in The Matrix. I wrote back to the MBA student:

Now the idea behind “The Gold 45 Revolver" (in a novel Autumn Rangers, screenplay McCoy Mountain, and video game patent) comes from a Civil War legend—and the legend has it that in during a showdown in which Confederate-turned abolitionist Johnny McCoy was vastly outnumbered and out of bullets, the 45 glowed gold and fired Zeus’s lightning, rendering him superior in the showdown. So naturally, as the legend spread, many set off seeking the ultimate weapon—the Gold 45—as it would be priceless! Engraved on its barrel was a phrase from Virgil’s Aeneid, “Tu Ne Cede Malis, Sed Contra Audentior Ito: (Do not yield to misfortunes, but advance more boldly to meet them.)”

http://45surf.com/THE_LEGEND_OF_MCCOY_MOUNTAIN_first-half.pdf
http://mccoymountain.com/

But it turns out that the Gold 45 was not to be found—at least not out there, where everyone was looking. For the peacemaker is actually any old 45 in the hands of someone who has done the right thing—who is doing the right thing. And thus Virgil’s words are not engraved on the barrel, but in one’s soul. The true Gold 45 is to be found within—in honor, integrity, and character—in the rendering of one's ideals real.

For those who set out seeking the external gold—the glitter and glint of the mythological revolver, the Gold 45 eludes them, while the humble hero who simply tries to do the right thing, with any old 45 by their side, ends up holding it, as it glows gold for that final showdown. The title The Gold 45 Revolver is but a tribute to Socrates’ maxim that virtue does not come from money; but that money and every lasting good of man derives from virtue—from the pursuit of the soul’s arête; as sure as the ticket to all greater journeys are not to be purchased with epic student loans, but in simply trying to render one’s internal ideals real in living ventures. All that glitters is not gold, and far more wealth is to be found in the black and white of books’ written pages.

Early on in Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey/monomyth, Campbell tells us, "After the hero has accepted the call, he encounters a protective figure (often elderly) who provides special tools and advice for the adventure ahead, such as an amulet or a weapon." Obe Wan Kenobe gives Luke his light-saber, and Morpheus trains Neo in Martial Arts, developing the use of his greater weapon—the Truth of the Matrix. Athena disguises herself as Mentor—an old man—in Homer’s Odyssey, informing Telemachus that it is time to man up and either find his father Odysseus, or rid his house of the suitors, before they rid it of him. And in teaching the class and giving lectures, by and by I realized that what I really wanted to do in a book was to give the students something—an amulet, tool, and weapon—which empowered them to call the Harvard MBA bluff (and I’m not picking on Harvard, but rather all the programs which have followed suit in exalting fleeting case studies and garish electronic stock tickers over eternity’s case studies which demonstrate the triumph of ideals); which helped them recognize the far greater value of their internal ideals—the true ticket to their greater hero's journeys—and helped them protect and profit from that which the corporate Matrix so often tells them is worth so little—their passions, dreams, idealism, art, and character; as The Matrix strives to erode their souls’ higher aspirations so as to consign them to the bureaucracy’s bottom line, to tacitly accept corruption and forgo the vast wealth of speaking truth to power, and to bow before those CEOs who profit by saying one thing while holding in their hearts another; instead of to ride beside Bogle—to stand beside and defend their brethern—the artists and poets of the immortal soul's immutable truths. I wanted to give the students a guide—a mythological map to their naturally greater destinies that drew upon the great and vast classical wisdom—an "amulet and weapon"—to defend their dreams along that road that they alone must walk. And over the four years of teaching the class, "The Gold 45 Revolver" was forged in the flames of Dante's Inferno and annealed in Poseidon’s stormy seas, as class after class—student after student—followed the mythological heroes for a semester; and grew to see that each and every one of them, as individuals, were Odysseus and Dante; Penelope and Beatrice, on journeys on their own. And as they rode with Bogle, they noted that although he founded a Trillion dollar Wall Street Titan, never did he ask them to bow before him, like so many modern CEOs and professors, but to ride beside him—to tie on that holster, saddle up, and set off for their dreams—for their idealism. And The Gold 45 gains its true value not by displacing the great books and classics, but by exalting them and presenting the students with a lifelong reading list, invaluable friends, and history's greatest mentors who presided over the first Constitutional Convention and Plato’s Academy alike, as well as the original formation of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton—the very Greats who gave birth to the soul of our freedom and prosperity.

Best,

Dr. E

gold45revolver, I think you should sign a deal with Sony. They are still looking for their second hit of this generation. You could be the one to give it to them!

Guilty Conscience said:
gold45revolver, I think you should sign a deal with Sony. They are still looking for their second hit of this generation. You could be the one to give it to them!

Well, would be fun to talk to them in a month or so!!

You guys might enjoy my interview here:
http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail1887.html

Artistic Entrepreneurship & Technology 101
Talking Portraits with Tom Parish
52 minutes, 23.9mb, recorded 2007-04-09
Play Download Comments (0)
Elliott McGucken Tired of being a starving artist? Dr. Elliot McGucken's Artistic Entrepreneurship & Technology 101 puts together a new approach to entrepreneurship and the arts through a fascinating application of the classic journey of mythological heroes. McGucken, a physicist, has taught the class at both UNC Chapel Hill and Pepperdine, and has expanded the concept through blogs, a festival, and an upcoming book.

In this interview McGucken describes how the course applies the structure of the monomyth, the fundamental pattern of the great hero narratives throughout history, from Odysseus, Jesus, and Buddha to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Matrix. Also called the Hero's Journey, Joseph Campbell identified this pattern in his book The Hero With A Thousand Faces. McGucken even takes it a step beyond, using examples from modern real-life success stories like Richard Branson and Kid Rock.

McGucken explains why the web's democratization of both the means of production and distribution can be used by the big companies to continue to exploit artists, or instead used by indie artists themselves who preserve their own rights in their successful journey. It's your choice, if you take it.

Russell

ProfessorLobo said:
What if I made a game where you were a poor factory worker and to win you could either kill the pig capitalists, or offer them some Marxist literature to change their ways. Would that be a good game?
But without the "pig capitalists," the poor factory worker wouldn't even have a job. :(

FleckSplat said:
This is fucking unreal.

The guy who filed the patent happened to be a gaffer...
And he has websites...
But he created a retina chip (is this the same guy? mcgucken?)

I don't know.

popcorn.gif

yo yo yo it is i and i am he

http://elliotmcgucken.com
did you guys pick up on it that both of the above have the same number of letters?

just me myself and i:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PAkrbQScw

and here's the music video i shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT_ExxvLcTE

note the showdown/cowboys/revolvers!

Russell said:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLobo:

But without the "pig capitalists," the poor factory worker wouldn't even have a job. :(:(

Yes--the gold 45 revolver / ideas have consequences / moral premise technology will allow for various mods/moral systems/ideas and ideals. However, the most enjoyable and realistic games will likely adhere to the classical definitions of liberty and freedom, as is the way for all blockbuster movies too, such as Star Wars/The Matrix.

This is impressive stuff Dr. E.

I get where you're coming from.

Your analysis and understanding of Einsteins Relativity has opened a wealth of new ideas for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of you.

And just remember, they called Einstein crazy during his time as well!!

Baiano19 said:
35bbg4h.gif

What the fuck have you done EmCeeGramr?!

From the dawn of eternity, before the Lord even created the Earth, it was written that someday EmCeeGramr would summon the bearer of the Gold 45 Revolver.

Concept art soon!

CorporalDork said:
This is impressive stuff Dr. E.

I get where you're coming from.

Your analysis and understanding of Einsteins Relativity has opened a wealth of new ideas for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of you.

And just remember, they called Einstein crazy during his time as well!!

Thanks! Look for my book on Moving Dimensions Theory in the fall!

Dr. E :)

You can see the dx4/dt=ic on every shirt!

But shirts are over-rated!

gold45revolver, you're like a much more eloquent Joe_Cracker.

If you don't know who that is, trust me: it's a compliment. Keep dreaming big!

Night_Trekker said:
gold45revolver, you're like a much more eloquent Joe_Cracker.

If you don't know who that is, trust me: it's a compliment. Keep dreaming big!

Thanks dude!

It's not so much about about dreaming, but it's that I get these thing in my head, and I can't get rid of them.

What am I supposed to do? haha -- 'tis a curse!

here's a recommendation from john archibald wheeler:
http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/wheeler_recommendation_mcgucken_medium.jpg

here's wheeler as a young man walking with einstein:
http://www.physorg.com/news127476893.html

here's wheeler & feynman:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24827657@N03/2364072115/

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/238

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest [back]
TOPIC: Time as an Emergent Phenomenon: Traveling Back to the Heroic Age of Physics by Elliot McGucken [refresh]
Elliot McGucken wrote on Aug. 25, 2008 @ 18:38 GMT Essay Abstract

In his 1912 Manuscript on Relativity, Einstein never stated that time is the fourth dimension, but rather he wrote x4 = ict. The fourth dimension is not time, but ict. Despite this, prominent physicists have oft equated time and the fourth dimension, leading to un-resolvable paradoxes and confusion regarding time’s physical nature, as physicists mistakenly projected properties of the three spatial dimensions onto a time dimension, resulting in curious concepts including frozen time and block universes in which the past and future are omni-present, thusly denying free will, while implying the possibility of time travel into the past, which visitors from the future have yet to verify. Beginning with the postulate that time is an emergent phenomenon resulting from a fourth dimension expanding relative to the three spatial dimensions at the rate of c, diverse phenomena from relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics are accounted for. Time dilation, the equivalence of mass and energy, nonlocality, wave-particle duality, and entropy are shown to arise from a common, deeper physical reality expressed with dx4/dt=ic. This postulate and equation, from which Einstein’s relativity is derived, presents a fundamental model accounting for the emergence of time, the constant velocity of light, the fact that the maximum velocity is c, and the fact that c is independent of the velocity of the source, as photons are but matter surfing a fourth expanding dimension. In general relativity, Einstein showed that the dimensions themselves could bend, curve, and move. The present theory extends this principle, postulating that the fourth dimension is moving independently of the three spatial dimensions, distributing locality and fathering time. This physical model underlies and accounts for time in quantum mechanics, relativity, and statistical mechanics, as well as entropy, the universe’s expansion, and time’s arrows.

Author Bio

“Dr. E” received a B.A. in physics from Princeton University and a Ph.D. in physics from UNC Chapel Hill, where his research on an artificial retina, which is now helping the blind see, appeared in Business Week and Popular Science and was awarded a Merrill Lynch Innovations Grant. While at Princeton, McGucken worked on projects concerning quantum mechanics and general relativity with the late John Wheeler, and the projects combined to form an appendix treating time as an emergent phenomenon in his dissertation. McGucken is writing a book for the Artistic Entrepreneurship & Technology (artsentrepreneurship.com) curriculum he created.

http://fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/McGucken_Time_as_an_Emergen.pdf?
http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachme...EIMAGINARY_NUMBERS_IMPLY_PERPENDICULARITY.pdf
http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/1_Moving_Dimensions_Theory__Heros_Journey_Physics.pdf

haircut

gold45revolver said:
Thanks! Look for my book on Moving Dimensions Theory in the fall!

Dr. E :)

You can see the dx4/dt=ic on every shirt!

Oh god it really is there hidden in plain sight.

I have no idea what's going on.

This thread as a whole is the most mindblowing thing I've seen since they stopped airing Unsolved Mysteries.

Top Bottom