• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

el Diablo

Banned
Well now that the initial "wow that game looks fantastic" has worn off, i'm not sure what i find more depressing:

A.) That i'll end up being forced to buy a wii for this new vanillaware game.

B.) That i'll be forced to wave something around to play said vanillaware game (i can't stand motion sensing/controls on ANY system)

C.) That there's a good chance that this game is released 4:3 NO WIDESCREEN since the wii doesn't force you to display at HD resolutions (i'm not getting my hopes up since all but one of the screenshots is 4:3).

(A) i'll deal with and get over since the Wii appears to be the system to own this gen if you prefer to play JP style games (which i do), (B) and (C) will be a much tougher pill to swallow though. Worst part is i don't even blame nintendo and their decision to build the wii the way they did or vanillaware for making this game for the wii, i f'ing blame sony for screwing up at EVERY SINGLE TURN with the PS3 and making it a totally irrelevant system in japan.

PolyGone

Banned
el Diablo said:
Well now that the initial "wow that game looks fantastic" has worn off, i'm not sure what i find more depressing:

B.) That i'll be forced to wave something around to play said vanillaware game (i can't stand motion sensing/controls on ANY system)

C.) That there's a good chance that this game is released 4:3 NO WIDESCREEN since the wii doesn't force you to display at HD resolutions (i'm not getting my hopes up since all but one of the screenshots is 4:3).

(A) i'll deal with and get over since the Wii appears to be the system to own this gen if you prefer to play JP style games (which i do), (B) and (C) will be a much tougher pill to swallow though. Worst part is i don't even blame nintendo and their decision to build the wii the way they did or vanillaware for making this game for the wii, i f'ing blame sony for screwing up at EVERY SINGLE TURN with the PS3 and making it a totally irrelevant system in japan.

the wow factor has worn off? :/

Whoaness

Banned
el Diablo said:

I kinda feel the same way except I have a Wii. I agree with B as well but I'm not too concerned with C.

And no, Sony hasn't screwed up their plan. PS3 is doing okay, but they still have the PS2 running. Maybe this game will end up on the PS2 as well. Maaaaaaybe.

Zeed

Banned
Whoaness said:
Maybe this game will end up on the PS2 as well. Maaaaaaybe.
Sounds like it's being built ground up for Wii, ie. waggle is an essential part of the game.

No matter how you look at it, Sony really dropped the ball this gen.

Amir0x said:
COMBIIIIIIIINE!
:lol

Meesh

This game looks amazing (checks scans) ...Love the Ninjas, Monsters, everything...can't wait to play it.

KiticanaX

Banned
el Diablo said:

Ahh it appears that other people know logic too. :)

Also I'm not sure about B it should be fairly interesting how VanillaWare uses the controllere.

Finally, WHY COULDN'T Grim Grimoire be for the Wii instead of the PS2? :(

Whoaness

Banned
Zeed said:
Sounds like it's being built ground up for Wii, ie. waggle is an essential part of the game.

No matter how you look at it, Sony really dropped the ball this gen.

If wag = attack, then a button can easily take its place.

And they haven't dropped the ball. They have a different strategy and its only been LESS than a year. Too early to make assumptions.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Whoaness said:
And they haven't dropped the ball. They have a different strategy and its only been LESS than a year. Too early to make assumptions.

What was that strategy? Was it to go weeks/months without any major releases, or was it to release Madden on Golden Week, or maybe to track below the GameCube, oh wait it was to not have anything to combat Nintendo this holiday? Or was it to fall almost 2.5M units behind Nintendo in less than a year?

d[-_-]b

Banned
schuelma said:
What was that strategy? Was it to go weeks/months without any major releases, or was it to release Madden on Golden Week, or maybe to track below the GameCube, oh wait it was to not have anything to combat Nintendo this holiday? Or was it to fall almost 2.5M units behind Nintendo in less than a year?
Lol it's a joke character, all he does is troll the Wii.

Jonnyram

Takuhi said:
Nowhere in this Star Ocean 4 interview does he say that SO4 is only for one platform. He says it's for "hardware that can display beautiful graphics," but beyond that it has not been decided. (He might be hoping for a moneyhat?)
I think you're missing something in the interview... In the last column, he says "So far with the Star Ocean series, we have developed one game for one platform each time. And this time too, we're aiming to make full use of the hardware's potential."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it must be weird for Nfans to finally get the awesome niche support that the PS2 was graced with last gen.

did any of you actually play OS or GG? or are you people just hyped because it's a good looking 3rd party on *gasp* Wii. must've been lonely having only the gc last gen I guess.

KiticanaX

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I think you're missing something in the interview... In the last column, he says "So far with the Star Ocean series, we have developed one game for one platform each time. And this time too, we're aiming to make full use of the hardware's potential."

Well it can't be the 360 because these types of games sell horribly on the 360 in Japan *obviously* and the West. So it's either the PS3 or Wii and judging from Screenshots I'm going to say the PS3.

Evilink said:
Tis a shame, that. I was hoping for almost anything...even that so called "connect 24" stuff...

Why? It's an RPG...

Error said:
it must be weird for Nfans to finally get the awesome niche support that the PS2 was graced with last gen.

did any of you actually play OS or GG? or are you people just hyped because it's a good looking 3rd party on *gasp* Wii. must've been lonely having only the gc last gen I guess.

Speaking as a Nintendo fan yes, but I had a PS2 last gen and currently have a Wii, DS, and Gaming PC. I'm glad I picked the Wii, it looks like to be the "core console" of this generation. *Aka lots of niche titles*

Meesh

Error said:

Damn...how-did-you-know...*sobs* It's true, it's all true.

Zeed said:
Holy freaking shit.

I mean Jesus Christ. Does this guy have any artbooks I can buy?
There is an Odin Sphere artbook that turned up on eBay. It's called "Artworks", so just search for "Odin Sphere artworks".

icecream

Public Health Threat
KiticanaX said:
Well it can't be the 360 because these types of games sell horribly on the 360 in Japan *obviously* and the West. So it's either the PS3 or Wii and judging from Screenshots I'm going to say the PS3.
Really. JRPGs sell horribly on the 360 compared to JRPG sales on what other next/new gen console?

Whoaness

Banned
schuelma said:

Tell me, when did the PS2 get its first huge game? GT3 came out 3/4 of a year later, GTA3 came out a whole year after, FFX came out 2 years later. Track below the Gamecube? It's already 1/4 the way to Gamecube's total sales (6 years) in less than a year. Do the math.

Wii's sales are obviously nice to exaggerate, but the PS3 is doing well.

KiticanaX

Banned
icecream said:
Really. JRPGs sell horribly on the 360 compared to JRPG sales on what other next/new gen console?

They said they are picking on which platform to develop on and if those screens are in game it's probably the PS3 since these games sell bad on the 360. I really don't see what's the point of trying get a few smart comments of a sentence in my post.

KiticanaX said:
Well it can't be the 360 because these types of games sell horribly on the 360 in Japan *obviously* and the West.

KiticanaX said:
They said they are picking on which platform to develop on and if those screens are in game it's probably the PS3 since these games sell bad on the 360. I really don't see what's the point of trying get a few smart comments of a sentence in my post.

200k for BD and 70k for Eternal Sonata in Japan isn't that bad, and despite the stupid reviews out on Blue Dragon, I hear that's its sales aren't too shabby.

KiticanaX

Banned
Whoaness said:
Tell me, when did the PS2 get its first huge game? GT3 came out 3/4 of a year later, GTA3 came out a whole year after, FFX came out 2 years later. Track below the Gamecube? It's already 1/4 the way to Gamecube's total sales (6 years) in less than a year. Do the math.

No it isn't, if all goes well through this year *aka everything meets hype* it's library will come nowhere near the PS2's. *MGS2, Silent Hill 2, GT3, Devil May Cry, Guilty Gear X, Final Fantasy X, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, and Grand Theft Auto III are a few*

Not flaming you, but I just can't say the PS3 will even be in the same league of the PS2 by the end of this year.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
KiticanaX said:
We don't know how Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata will perform here in the west.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like Nintendo and enjoy their games but it baffles me that some of you dont know who VW is and that I didnt see any of you when OS or GG were released.

... but whatever, VW games look amazing and yeah I cant wait for this.

KiticanaX

Banned
FateBreaker said:
200k for BD and 70k for Eternal Sonata in Japan isn't that bad, and despite the stupid reviews out on Blue Dragon, I hear that's its sales aren't too shabby.

70K really isn't good at all for a next-gen title, and yes Blue Dragon sold highly well but that's because it was with Sakaguchi's *spelling* premier title for his new dev team, I mean being a legend you should get great sales, and even then it didn't manage to break profit. Also if it came out on lets say the PS3 or Wii it would've sold MUCH better. As for the current state of sales I'm waiting until the NPD comes out, I know it sold above average in Europe though.

KiticanaX

Banned
jj984jj said:
We don't know how Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata will perform here in the west.

Japanese focused games tend to do poorly on the 360. But again I'm making my judgment on such mediocre and average titles such as Ninety Nine Nights and Ridge Racer 6.

Whoaness

Banned
KiticanaX said:
No it isn't, if all goes well through this year *aka everything meets hype* it's library will come nowhere near the PS2's. *MGS2, Silent Hill 2, GT3, Devil May Cry, Guilty Gear X, Final Fantasy X, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, and Grand Theft Auto III are a few*

Not flaming you, but I just can't say the PS3 will even be in the same league of the PS2 by the end of this year.

That's pretty strange because some of those games are either at the tip of the end of the year or not even. MGS2 is out of the list a month later and DMC, GTA3 are just barely in. FFX is two months off.

wsippel

Banned
KiticanaX said:
Pretty much every single screen screams CG. Only one of the screens might show ingame graphics, but if the background was prerendered, it could still be on Wii.

For the record: I don't think it'll be on Wii, I'm just playing devils advocate here. We still know absolutely nothing.

icecream

Public Health Threat
KiticanaX said:
They said they are picking on which platform to develop on and if those screens are in game it's probably the PS3 since these games sell bad on the 360.
I think you're trying to present a case that isn't there yet. The 360 sells poorly in Japan. That limits game sales to an extent. I'd just like to know what you're basing your assertion that JRPGs sell badly on the 360 compared to other consoles. Especially since said other consoles do not have any major JRPG release on them yet either.

KiticanaX said:
Japanese focused games tend to do poorly on the 360. But again I'm making my judgment on such mediocre and average titles such as Ninety Nine Nights and Ridge Racer 6.
Then what about games like DR, LP, and DOA4?

KiticanaX

Banned
Whoaness said:
That's pretty strange because some of those games are either at the tip of the end of the year or not even. MGS2 is out of the list a month later and DMC, GTA3 are just barely in. FFX is two months off.

Every game I listed came out in 2001 or before. And that doesn't change the fact that the PS2 will probably have a FAR superior line-up then the PS3.

KiticanaX

Banned
icecream said:
I think you're trying to present a case that isn't there yet. The 360 sells poorly in Japan. That limits game sales to an extent. I'd just like to know what you're basing your assertion that JRPGs sell badly on the 360 compared to other consoles. Especially since said other consoles do not have any major JRPG release on them yet either.

Then what about games like DR, LP, and DOA4?

Perfect examples, DoA4 sold MUCH more poorly then the previous ones *though I'm not sure of the sales of Ultimate. but I heard it did fairly well*. I don't even think it broke half a million. And Dead Rising and Lost Planet are in no way, shape, or form Japanese focus, they're as American as you can get.

Meesh

Error said:
I like Nintendo and enjoy their games but it baffles me that some of you dont know who VW is and that I didnt see any of you when OS or GG were released.

... but whatever, VW games look amazing and yeah I cant wait for this.

It's true, I can't argue that. I don't know either of those other games...(didn't know they existed)but I'll be straight, it's not that this is just a third party gem here. What really captivated me was the art...I just can't say enough about it. If it weren't for that, I might not even give this one a second look...shallow, illogical, but true. For me, the art is important :)

Whoaness

Banned
KiticanaX said:
Every game I listed came out in 2001 or before. And that doesn't change the fact that the PS2 will probably have a FAR superior line-up then the PS3.

PS2 came out Oct 2000.

And let's see... ____ on the PS2 ____ on the PS3.

MGS check
FF check
DMC check
GT check
SH check
GTA check

GG probably will in some form and don't think Baldur's gate should be in the list.

So what's the superiority all about when the same franchises are coming AND Sony's upping the ante with new franchises from their own studios.

Whoaness said:
PS2 came out Oct 2000.

MGS check
FF check
DMC check
GT check
SH check
GTA check

GG probably will in some form and don't think Baldur's gate should be in the list.

So what's the superiority all about when the same franchises are coming AND Sony's upping the ante with new franchises from their own studios.

To clarify, you're not talking about 'in the first year', right? Because if you are, that statement is factually wrong.

Zeed

Banned
OnWarmerMusic said:
There is an Odin Sphere artbook
:D

that turned up on eBay.
D:

Error said:
*Shrug* I saw the art and remembered admiring it quite a bit, but the game itself slipped under my radar. I own a PS2 and I'm considering getting OS now. I'm a lazy gamer, it takes something significant to get my ass to the store.

KiticanaX

Banned
Whoaness said:
PS2 came out Oct 2000.

MGS check
FF check
DMC check
GT check
SH check
GTA check

When did I mention the PS3's life-span of games, I was talking about games that are coming out THIS year.

KiticanaX said:

I even hinted that through the life-span of the PS3 the game quality and quantity will improve.

KiticanaX said:
70K really isn't good at all for a next-gen title, and yes Blue Dragon sold highly well but that's because it was with Sakaguchi's *spelling* premier title for his new dev team, I mean being a legend you should get great sales, and even then it didn't manage to break profit. Also if it came out on lets say the PS3 or Wii it would've sold MUCH better. As for the current state of sales I'm waiting until the NPD comes out, I know it sold above average in Europe though.

Have you seen ES? It's not very next-gen. I'd call it a budget title. And as for Blue Dragon, I love (and when I say love, I mean hate) when you say it like a fact that BD would have sold better on PS3 or Wii.

Let's be fair, then: Enchanted Arms, the first jRPG for both consoles, sold better on Xbox360 than PS3 overall. What's your argument on this?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Whoaness said:

No, its not doing well. AT ALL.

Compare the PS3's launch with the PS2's, which I believe didn't launch with any AAA titles either.

el Diablo

Banned
KiticanaX said:
Ahh it appears that other people know logic too. :)

Also I'm not sure about B it should be fairly interesting how VanillaWare uses the controllere.

For the record, I said i didn't blame Nintendo but don't get me wrong i still think the wii from a hardware standpoint is garbage. The japanese love it though so i'm royally f'ed.

As for the controls if i can't just sit put and loaf on my couch then they can't possibly make it interesting. I have "old man" league basketball twice a week and go to a gym regularly so i'm getting all the exercise i need, i don't need to flail around on my couch to play games :lol.

Whoaness said:

You can't even compare the PS2 and PS3 because the PS2 had no real competition whatsoever. Not only does the PS3 have competition but it's getting destroyed by it.

So yeah, they've dropped the ball. How else do you explain the development shift in JP? It's not like Vanillaware went from working on the PS2 to the Wii for no reason. Had Sony not dropped the ball that should have been a no brainer that Vanillaware goes from the PS2 to PS3. What strategy do you think they're going to put into play to reverse that? You think they're going to announce some new plan and magically everything is going to go back to the way things were? Those days are over and won't be back for a long time if ever. The JP development shift is in full stride now from Sony to a Nintendo mix of Wii / DS and there isn't a thing short of buying every developer out there that Sony can do to change it. All Sony's solutions are long term and that's not going to do abit of good in changing which systems developers choose to work on. "LESS than a year" is all it's going to take given how overconfident Sony was and how badly they screwed up with the PS3 and it's pricing.

icecream

Public Health Threat
KiticanaX said:
And Dead Rising and Lost Planet are in no way, shape, or form Japanese focus, they're as American as you can get.
Right.

In any case, your assertion is pointless in terms on JRPGs, since how they sell this gen hasn't been shown yet.

Whoaness

Banned
KiticanaX said:
When did I mention the PS3's life-span of games, I was talking about games that are coming out THIS year.

I even hinted that through the life-span of the PS3 the game quality and quantity will improve.

Actually, you ended the sentence so relative information doesn't carry over. Don't blame me!

There's obviously a difference between the dawn of the PS2 and now. Sony got into handhelds, SquareEnix are doing a lot more projects, (imo) Crapcom turned into a money grubbing publisher, killing its quality by sending its best developers away.

We'd probably see MGS4 right now if Kojima didn't work on MGS: PO. But then I like MGS: PO so I don't mind a few months. Basing quality by year basis is silly. I am saying that the Wii's spike sales are overshadowing the 360 (sorta) and the PS3. If we could hypothetically put the PS2 and the Wii side by side, the Wii would be kicking PS2's ass in sales but PS2 would be handing Wii's ass with sheer quality of games.

KiticanaX

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Have you seen ES? It's not very next-gen. I'd call it a budget title. And

tri-Crescendo makes budget titles?:lol

FateBreaker said:
as for Blue Dragon, I love (and when I say love, I mean hate) when you say it like a fact that BD would have sold better on PS3 or Wii.

It would've.

FateBreaker said:
Let's be fair, then: Enchanted Arms, the first jRPG for both consoles, sold better on Xbox360 than PS3 overall. What's your argument on this?

I don't know just possibly because.

A. The game was a port and ported after it got a bad reception with low advertisements to the formula.

B. The 360 had about what 5 times more consoles sold then the PS3 at that time?

Whoaness

Banned
el Diablo said:
So yeah, they've dropped the ball. How else do you explain the development shift in JP? It's not like Vanillaware went from working on the PS2 to the Wii for no reason. Had Sony not dropped the ball that should have been a no brainer that Vanillaware goes from the PS2 to PS3. You apparently aren't grasping that there's nWhat strategy do you think they're going to put into play to reverse that? You think they're going to announce some new plan and magically everything is going to go back to the way things were? Those days are over and won't be back for a long time if ever. The JP development shift is in full stride now from Sony to a Nintendo mix of Wii / DS and there isn't a thing short of buying every developer out there that Sony can do to change it. All Sony's solutions are long term and that's not going to do abit of good in changing which systems developers choose to work on. "LESS than a year" is all it's going to take given how overconfident Sony was and how badly they screwed up with the PS3 and it's pricing.

One of my questions was that. It's not up to Vanillaware, it's up to their publisher. Vanillaware is just starting and they need to make themselves a name. They can't be like Kojima and say "Hey, I'm gonna get out of this Publisher politics and form my independent studio." Vanillaware probably has to play ball for some time.

But a possible PS2 port could happen. It's not like Japan doesn't have PS2s anymore. The install base is there.

KiticanaX

Banned
Whoaness said:
Actually, you ended the sentence so relative information doesn't carry over. Don't blame me!

How isn't it "relative information" it's a statement saying that I everything I referred to was comparing the two consoles same lifespans.

I even implied it in the starting sentence of the post.

KiticanaX said:

Whoaness said:
There's obviously a difference between the dawn of the PS2 and now. Sony got into handhelds, SquareEnix are doing a lot more projects, (imo) Crapcom turned into a money grubbing publisher, killing its quality by sending its best developers away.

We'd probably see MGS4 right now if Kojima didn't work on MGS: PO. But then I like MGS: PO so I don't mind a few months. Basing quality by year basis is silly. I am saying that the Wii's spike sales are overshadowing the 360 (sorta) and the PS3. If we could hypothetically put the PS2 and the Wii side by side, the Wii would be kicking PS2's ass in sales but PS2 would be handing Wii's ass with sheer quality of games.

None of those things change the fact that the PS3 is abysmal compared to what the PS2 had in it's first year in the quality games arena.

Top Bottom