• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
May very well happen by the looks of it.

Him going to see Dr. Strange in civilian garbs. Odin as a homeless guy etc... could all be depowered or some such tom foolery?

From the MCU thread:
Taika Waititi does an AMA.
Proves he is best.

Considering the retro logo, can we expect an 80's vibe in Thor: Ragnarok?
You can. And more.

Howdy Taika, Kevin Feige said that Thor: Ragnarok would be the Winter Soldier of the MCU's Phase 3 movies. Care to elaborate on that?
Jeez. I better see Winter Soldier... no joke.

Hi Taika! I saw "What We Do in the Shadows" and loved it! I'm really excited for Thor: Ragnarok & I've got a couple little questions:
1) Will Thor: Ragnarok meld well with the previous two movies, or will it stand on its own?
2) Can we expect some of the same brand of humor in Thor? If so, were you ever given a hard time about certain scenes or lines?
3) Why does the title card for Thor look like it was pulled from a retro video game?
4) What's happening with We're Wolves?
5) Would you like some bisghetti?

I have no idea. It will be a nice addition to the Taika Waititi box-set though.
You can expect a Taika-esque tone. They've been very accepting of my style.
In case there's a retro style video game spin-off.
We have a title, what else do you want??
I'm not falling for that!

What have you planned for Thor: Ragnarok to make it stand out from the other Marvel films? Also, compared to your other films, how humorous will it be?
Awesome. Thanks. I think TR will be one of the most adventurous and most "out there" of all the marvel movies. It's a crazy movie.

Hello Taika. In Making Thor 3, did you make efforts to make it similar or dissimilar to the previous Thor films? As in, did you try to maintain the same elements, or did you try to make it more unique? Thanks
I made an effort to ignore the fact there are other Thor films.

Chris Hemsworth is really funny. How much of his comedy chops are utilised in THOR: RAGNAROK?
All of them.

How much influence/involvement did MARVEL have on the plot leading into infinity war?
Was it your decision to completely change the Thor logo and to leave out the "Ö" and if so- what inspired the style?

Marvel have a huge influence on the story. They know the universe way better than I do.
I still use Cohen. I just happened to be using Waititi on my first film and then it got nominated for an Oscar and I had to keep using it. Cohen is on all of my IDs etc.
The style is inspired by 70s / 80s sci-fi fantasy art. Because our film feels like that.

To what extent have you moulded the screenplay into your own thing while making the film, assuming you didn't have a hand in writing it. If you did, how extensive was your involvement in the writing?
Regarding artistic freedom, how much interference did you face while shooting the film? Some is to be expected regarding continuity and stuff, but was there any tension during the shoot?

I've had a big influence on story and character and tone. It's just like how I make my other films except way bigger. So far I've been given a lot of creative freedom. Thanks!

How difficult was it to fit your vision for Thor: Ragnarok into the existing continuity of the MCU?
I didn't bother trying.

A lot more stuff in the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/57oecm/im_taika_waititi_director_of_hunt_for_the/

Sulik2

Interesting interview. Being off earth basically seems like it let them just do whatever they want with the story and not have to worry to ouch about the previous Thor continuity. I like it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hello Taika. In Making Thor 3, did you make efforts to make it similar or dissimilar to the previous Thor films? As in, did you try to maintain the same elements, or did you try to make it more unique? Thanks
I made an effort to ignore the fact there are other Thor films.

giphy.gif

Good man!

CloudWolf

Ignoring that there are other Thor films is what most people do anyway.

Interesting to see that last answer though, because it's strongly rumored that that's why Edgar Wright was kicked off Ant-Man.

S1kkZ

Interesting to see that last answer though, because it's strongly rumored that that's why Edgar Wright was kicked off Ant-Man.

he left. marvel changed the script to fit into the mcu(without telling him), wright wasnt happy with that and left the project.

LiamR

he left. marvel changed the script to fit into the mcu(without telling him), wright wasnt happy with that and left the project.

I've never heard any this before. All of the MCU hooks like Falcon were added after he left the project.

It was my understanding that Marvel sort of sanded off the edges of Wright's original script to make Scott less scummy and more palatable to general audiences. It sounded like he was originally meant to be more of an anti-hero and an unrepentant thief who eventually finds his redemption as he meets Hank Pym and becomes his successor.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My take was that he was firef because wasnt able to get his shit done after the movie was delayed for one whole phase of movies. Hank and Janette were supposed to show up in The Avengers.

S1kkZ

My take was that he was firef because wasnt able to get his shit done after the movie was delayed for one whole phase of movies. Hank and Janette were supposed to show up in The Avengers.

nope, marvel waited for him. he stepped down a few weeks before shooting was about to begin. project was in limbo for a few weeks, new director came in and rewrote the whole script in a few weeks.

Isn't it spread news that Wright quit Ant-Man?

I've never heard any this before. All of the MCU hooks like Falcon were added after he left the project.

It was my understanding that Marvel sort of sanded off the edges of Wright's original script to make Scott less scummy and more palatable to general audiences. It sounded like he was originally meant to be more of an anti-hero and an unrepentant thief who eventually finds his redemption as he meets Hank Pym and becomes his successor.

nope, marvel waited for him. he stepped down a few weeks before shooting was about to begin. project was in limbo for a few weeks, new director came in and rewrote the whole script in a few weeks.

Wow. I don't quite remember it going down just like that, but I'm not gonna dig up the Ant-man thread where it was argued to death before "credible" details "confirmed" what went down.

If I remember correctly, it was delayed for Edgar (twice?) so he could finish his Cornetto trilogy (it was originally a Phase1 film and Hank & Janet were both in the original Avengers Script), and when time came to finally make it happen, they tried to work with Edgar to add in connectivity, but the back and forth was slow moving and Edgar wasn't adding enough for Marvel's liking, so Marvel brought on some script doctors to make the changes they wanted since Edgar wasn't providing a treatment they liked. Edgar got frustrated with Marvel's meddling (completely forgetting that this movie could have been 100% his if it had happened in Phase 1 like it was supposed to) so he bounced. Marvel brought in McKay who spent time with Rudd to put their own little touches on the film, adding a few scenes (like the Pena recap) and mixing up some dialog, and in the end, the majority of film goers were more than pleased with the final results.
I don't remember too many details on the actual script changes, but more than enough of Wrights script was kept for him to get his writing credit.

Hope this movie turns out to be great as it looks and sounds. The prior two movies have flashes of greatness but get bogged down by everything else, this looks to have shed that and is going all out, so I'm excited

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
As someone that only knows Marvel characters from movies and Capcom games...
why is everyone is so hyped with that character? Is he a villain?

The Kree

Banned

It's just more wacky cosmic stuff like what we saw in Guardians. He's not especially important.

The Celestials are just a really fucking cool part of Marvel Mythos, that I hope we get to learn more about in the MCU going forward. So far we've only seen their brief appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy.

AMUSIX

Just to be clear, that's just a Ziran the Tester mask. There's absolutely no talk of a celestial being IN the movie...

...of course, the mask had to be made for some reason. Halloween costume? Reference prop? Toy prototype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom