• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those not living in the USA, how do you feel about what's going on there?

Mobius 1

I've been living in the States for 12 years and never felt more alien. It's difficult to focus, mentally exhausting and you often wonder who around you is a supporter of the president and espouses his abhorrent views.

Cilla

As someone who is probably going to move there in the next 2-4 years, these next few years are going to be really interesting for me.

Likewise. I want to move there after I graduate. There are so many positives but I just hope Trump is outed by then.

As for how I feel. Even as an Australian nothing he does surprises me. He showed his true colours before getting elected and he continues to do so. People got what they voted for. I feel sorry for the people who didn't vote for him. Oh and your voting system is weird. Popular vote is better.

Trickster

Frustrated as hell about what's happening on a daily basis currently, but the source of the frustration is with the people that made Trump president.

But I'm also optimistic as a European. Optimistic that Americas fall from it's role as leader of the world will force the EU to change and become better and more unified. Because at this point no one will be able to count on and trust the US for a long ass time, even after Trump is gone

shaowebb

It doesn't surprise me, which is perhaps more worrying than anything else...

Same. And I live and work in a coal area so I hear the talk from all those that think this shit is fine. I can say it doesn't surprise me seeing what I've grown up around out here in this part of the country.

It disappoints me though. Folks are too focused on hating whats different to focus on loving each other just the same. I see folks touting catch all solutions and slogans and generalizations about this group and that group like they've ever met anyone outside this place for more than a short period. Not everyone's needs and situations are the same. Folks are all kinds of different. Doesn't make them wrong. Trying to draw battle lines because of differences and push others around is.

Just let each other live life on their own terms and stop trying to force each other to be the same. We should all have the same treatment and rights and whenever someone points out someone gets marginalized it causes all this outrage instead of concern and it just blows my mind.

JayCB

Fucking horrified.

We're not doing too much better in the UK, don't get me wrong, but the last weekend really kicked it into overdrive over there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's a fucking disgrace. To think that a country that, under Obama, became a progressive leader to the world in so many ways, could unravel so quickly...

But I think the thing that shocks me the most is the apathetic reaction from most Americans to all of these events. Go out and fucking wreck shit up, people. Dump has given any sensible human being enough reason to want to oust him about a hundred times over, and he needs to be out of the Oval Office right the hell now.

"I have work" - yeah, and so did every other human being who sacrificed themselves, sometimes literally, to fight for all of the rights you currently have. If that's your excuse, you're weak. Your country needs you right now - hell, the entire world needs you right now. Find your own way to help the protesting efforts and get that orange turd out of there.

How Freedom of Speech has been taken advantage of so easily to keep the US divided right down the middle. Although Canada is by no means perfect after having kept a conservative government for like 8 damn years I'm glad we woke up before the tea party shit from the US started impacting us too much.

But far worse is that Trump can threaten war. That shit can bother me for a good half an hour before I can go to either Poligaf to calm my fears or forget it entirely. The guy really needs to get off Twitter or get someone to talk for him because he certainly fucking can't.

And don't get me started on the dismantling of any progressive environmental initiatives and adding climate deniers to the EPA and.. fuck now I need a drink.

My grandparents were saved from starvation and occupation by American troops in WW2. They would never, ever tolerate any badmouthing of the US in their presence.

Let's say I'm glad they didn't live to see the American president defend and compliment nazis on live television.

Mik2121

For quite a long while, I wanted to live in the US since so many companies I would like to work at are from there. There were some things like it being a society based on car commute that I didn't like but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Now with the president you got going, eh... and that's very telling of a big part of the population, too. I probably wouldn't live in an area where said population lives, but then again the places I like are now apparently incredibly expensive to live in, so.. I'll probably go back to Europe instead, go to Canada, or stay here in Japan.

There are still many things I really like from the US. It's just as a whole, I'm not sold on it at all.

By and large, the States are a functioning cautionary tale for how bad things can get here (in Canada), which I suppose is nice. We were able to somewhat stamp out alt-right celebrity politicians before they got steam thanks to watching Trump unfold.

But to be honest, I'd prefer the States were in a much stronger position when it comes to tolerance, racism, etc. I'd rather the States be better than Canada as opposed to what the situation is right now. I stupidly thought they were heading in the right direction under Obama.

I follow the news every day, read threads live when Trump gives press conferences, etc.

But every... three weeks or so, I just stop dead in my tracks and think, "Donald Trump is president."

It's revolting.

Oni Jazar

That's GAF being left leaning. Plenty of sites lean the other way.

That's the way the internet works now. It's mob mentality where majority dogpiles on the unpopular opinion and chases away opposing views. Good luck finding a site that'll have civilized, neutral discussion.
Social media is all about self-affirming echo chambers now. Pick your bubble.

This is a global community of (mostly) intelligent and educated individuals. That kind of demographic will obviously lean progressive. Take a look at how the world feels about Trump and you will find this forum aligns quite well with that. Neutral in this case is a false equivalency.

Lime

Same shit ever since I was born. Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr.

I guess I'm mostly just surprised how inert and how stubborn US citizens are when it comes to maintaining the horrible conditions of their society. I've been hoping and cheering for better things since the 90's, but it just seems like the country will always be white supremacist, hyper-capitalist, over-religious, over-consumerist, war-mongering, misogynistic, homophobic, etc. and nothing ever changes.

US society seems to lack any sense of self-reflection and ability to criticize itself (especially due to patriotism and being fed lies throughout childhood and education) that I'm afraid it won't ever become better. And that goes for both liberals and conservatives in the US, who both suffer from the same blindness (although the other is a fascist ideology)

But whatever, keep telling yourself you're a good society while you're mass-murdering people across the globe and polluting the earth and incarcerating the most people of all other countries and all the other tyrannical things that the US has done for decades and most of the last 100 years.

How a country could ever live with itself after shit like Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Iraq 1, Iraq 2, Afghanistan, Chile, Iran, etc. I have no idea. And that's not even speaking of the slavery and genocide that the country was literally founded on and continue to perpetuate today.

I feel the same way I have always felt.

There are some pretty amazing places in the US filled with great people, innovation and some interesting places to visit.

There are also places, primarily in the middle and southern areas which are absolute trainwrecks clinging desperately to archaic concepts of religious fundamentalism, racism and bigotry. These places are best avoided.

This is actually a bigger issue in a place like Australia where we also have large areas filled with unpleasant people, but Queensland also has really nice beaches.

So overall? Focus on the relevant bits and carry on with your life.

Pachinko

Not good. I've enforced a self inflicted ban on US travel since Trump was elected and all this shit has just made me sick to my stomach with constant anger.

The main reason ? I live in the most hate filled part of Canada - Alberta. Sure we have the NDP in power doing some great things for the province for the first time in 4 decades but it feels like a trip down bad memory lane is right around the corner because of all the rhetoric and garbage coming out of the US in the last 18 months. The hard right here has thankfully done what Trump did not - distance themselves from nazi's. Claim they don't stand for it and it's disgusting behavior so.... I suppose that's good at least ?

I'll certainly rest a lot easier when Trump is gone , whatever happens - impeachment , sudden illness or even the long haul to 2020 where... well, especially after last weekend he can't possibly get re-elected right ? Even his alleged russian buddies hate him now so I don't think he'll get help next time.

OBias

It's constantly seeping into my Twitter feed, and I'm getting tired of it. Please sort out your quarrels ASAP.

GonzoCR

Costa Rican, terribly disappointed and sad. As a kid I always wanted to live in America and holiday trips there were my favorite parts of the year. Now, I'm good. I can't believe that it's actually legal to organize an armed white supremacist march. My country has a lot of problems but if there is something I am thankful for is that it will probably never be taken over by goddamn Nazis.

My general feeling is kind of milkshake duck-y; obviously there is still a lot of good stuff about the US, but there is so much bad stuff that it's just impossible to ignore, and it was always there, just easy to ignore as a kid. For a first world country and the supposed leader of the free world, there are lots of things even third world countries do better like healthcare, and it certainly isn't looking that free right now.

Sloane

Banned
About the same as I feel about what's going on in England. On some days, it's hilarious, but most days, it's just horrifying -- and it feels like even the majority of the sane Americans don't seem to realize how bad it actually is.

Before the election it was all "there's no way he will win", now it's "he only won because of Russia", "most people on the_donald are just bots", and whatnot. No, about half the country actually thinks or thought this guy is or would be an a-okay president -- or didn't care enough to prevent him. That's the most scary part and I haven't seen anybody present a solution to the actual problem yet, which won't go away even if Mueller (or Trump himself) eventually cures the symptom.

Rhoc

For me the US were always the dreamland. It had everything I wanted to have in a culture. I visited it 3 times as a kid and had a blast everytime.
I wanted to get a green card and live in California or something.
But nowadays I just don't have the feeling anymore nothing gives me the urge to visit it or even live there.
I appreciate where I live now more it's not so bad here after all.

Chinbo37

I am an American living in Europe the last 8 years.

It sucks I can barely get any work done cause Im checking the news every 5 minutes. Im sick and tired of this shit actually. I love my country but I am sure happy to be living here, even with the terror attacks. At least no one is coming for my heath care.

KHlover

Banned
I've lost any interest in visiting your country in the foreseeable future. At the very least while Trump is president. Sucks that it had to happen just when I started being able to afford it, but no use crying over spilled milk at this time.

I feel like me and my peers had become numb to the snippets of jingoism in the past few decades. It's probably a side effect of the cold war posturing, but whatever it was, people just got sort of used to it. It was clearly a joke within America too, because many shows and movies lampooned this very thing. The whole Trump thing did not really hit me until the whole "grab 'em by the pussy" thing. What should have been an instant disqualifying move for someone running ...anything really, was shrugged off by many as "male locker room talk". Here in Europe, people did not react much better. People thought that was just another case of "Trump being Trump", and the only surprising part was that he didn't say it sooner or that he didn't make ugly hats about it. That's pretty much how America is viewed in general. Kind of like a weird parody of a powerful country.

It's hard to even really blame folks for the dismissive, defeatist attitude either. From my outsider's perspective, it's already so frustrating to see all these glaring issues, and just an utter unwillingness from the powers that be to actually address even a single one of them. The guns, healthcare, and justice reforms have been issues I've been hearing about since I was a child, and the only things that have changed since then is that I learned that things were worse than I had initially thought.

The USA is an incredible nation full of incredible people doing incredible things, but it feels like there should be a big asterisk at the end of that statement.

RoyalFool

Banned
Makes me sad, America doesn't have much history but they are tearing down monuments because outdated people held outdated beliefs. Christ, where do you draw the line? If that shit occured over here they would be pulling down statues of Charles Darwin.

Saddest part is the generation doing this are the ones least effected by it. Oh well, sure it looks great on their Instagram.

I guess I'm most worried about the social justice trend which seems to make people think their personal beliefs are more important than law and order. Each side is just trying to be more extreme than the other at this point regardless of those between them

hamchan

The USA went from a country that seemed very inspiring when Obama was elected and 8 years later the USA seems like a joke, a disgrace.

Likewise. I want to move there after I graduate. There are so many positives but I just hope Trump is outed by then.

As for how I feel. Even as an Australian nothing he does surprises me. He showed his true colours before getting elected and he continues to do so. People got what they voted for. I feel sorry for the people who didn't vote for him. Oh and your voting system is weird. Popular vote is better.

Electoral college is a fucking joke. I wish people could demonstrate the same level of indignation for the electoral college format as we're now seeing in regards to Confederate statues. And I remember after Trump won how he was shoving it into everyone's face -- almost as if he was enjoying the irony of it.

Aiii

So not worth it
I've been to the US, had a good ol' road trip from denver all the way through to the west coast and back. Visited many towns and cities, national parks, and met a ton of very kind, generous and pleasant people. It was great. I was there when Obama was elected, so it was prime USA as far as I'm concerned. It is a beautiful country, inside and out.

That said, it is also a baffling country. Your religiousness is very scary to me, seeing "Jesus loves McCain" signs everywhere across Utah for instance was ridiculous. Your patriotism is also scary, nobody should so unconditionally love anything, it clouds the judgement. Also, you're complete lack of wanting social securities on a government level is puzzling, you put too much stock into business and employers for stuff that should not be there. You should not have to worry about visiting a doctor to get checked out when you suddenly develop a rash or start hurting somewhere. You should not be afraid to live on the street or in your car after losing your job. And you certainly shouldn't need to go balls deep into debt just to get a proper education after high school. Also, you're way of voting diminishes certain votes in favor of others, that's puzzling to me. Your physical location should not determine how much your vote counts over another's when voting for a president. His actions have an effect on every person, not more on one than the other, so the voting for the position should be equal as well.

In that light, it never was really surprising where you're at right now. It all just seems a culmination of your parts. I'm hoping the newer generation will steer away from all that and become more loving and understanding of one another.

That said, there are idiots everywhere, and no matter how well your country does, you will always have dumb idiots running around ruining things for others.

I'm somewhat worried for my relatives living in the states. They are also not as concerned as I thought them should be.
That's GAF being left leaning. Plenty of sites lean the other way.

That's the way the internet works now. It's mob mentality where majority dogpiles on the unpopular opinion and chases away opposing views. Good luck finding a site that'll have civilized, neutral discussion.
Social media is all about self-affirming echo chambers now. Pick your bubble.
The thing is, there's no civilized, "neutral" discussions to be had given what the American right-wing is. My countrymen thought our two major parties were bad, but at least none of them harbor extreme hatred for the poor and minorities, and comfortable with the ideas of minorites being purged or driven out.

G.ZZZ

I've visited the US this year cause my brother lives there. After being there (San Fran) and hearing stories from my brother constantly, i'm convinced the US are a lost cause and a shithole of a society where individualism has completely killed any idea of equality and solidarity. I thought those were just exxageration, but it's all real.

So for me, i don't feel anything. The state of things over there just feel like a natural consequence of their zeitgeist.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The president of the USA is a racist. He defends Nazism. That's pretty scary and affects the entire world, not just geopolitically, but socially as well.

You couldn't pay me to go to reside in the US.

Politics aside, I feel like everything in the US is already controlled by mega corporations. Why is bribi -- I mean lobbying even a thing? Some guy actually managed to pass a bill for more transparency about this, then the next day some other guy evokes emergency powers and cancels the bill.

It's just a slow and steady downward spiral that's not steep enough to make enough people care.

HariKari

I've been to the US, had a good ol' road trip from denver all the way through to the west coast and back. Visited many towns and cities, national parks, and met a ton of very kind, generous and pleasant people. It was great. I was there when Obama was elected, so it was prime USA as far as I'm concerned. It is a beautiful country, inside and out.

That said, it is also a baffling country. Your religiousness is very scary to me, seeing "Jesus loves McCain" signs everywhere across Utah for instance was ridiculous. Your patriotism is also scary, nobody should so unconditionally love anything, it clouds the judgement. Also, you're complete lack of wanting social securities on a government level is puzzling, you put too much stock into business and employers for stuff that should not be there. You should not have to worry about visiting a doctor to get checked out when you suddenly develop a rash or start hurting somewhere. You should not be afraid to live on the street or in your car after losing your job.

I feel like you didn't learn much about the country in your travels if you came away with the impression that the United States has a singular view on things like religiosity or social security programs. Utah hardly represents the entire population, for example. It's a country of 300 million plus people that spans an entire continent.

Makes me sad, America doesn't have much history but they are tearing down monuments because outdated people held outdated beliefs. Christ, where do you draw the line? If that shit occured over here they would be pulling down statues of Charles Darwin.
=

Those 'monuments' have little to no historical value, as the majority of them were erected as a middle-finger to nonwhites. It's pretty understandable why they should come down.

Aiii

So not worth it
The president of the USA is a racist. He defends Nazism. That's pretty scary and affects the entire world, not just geopolitically, but socially as well.

He was affecting the world long before that.

He puts everyone on edge. Risks nuclear war and stability in Korea and Syria. He hurts the economy the world over by cancelling and ruining good trade deals. And lets not even begin to imagine the problems he's causing for everyone by ignoring the impending doom that climate change is, because that's by far his worst offense, I consider that miles ahead of supporting nazis.

I feel like you didn't learn much about the country in your travels if you came away with the impression that the United States has a singular view on things like religiosity or social security programs. Utah hardly represents the entire population, for example. It's a country of 300 million plus people that spans an entire continent.

4 in 10 Americans believe humans did not evolve and were created in our present state by a divine being.

40% is too high in 2017.

Terrifying. Sickening. Stressful.

As a Canadian I feel terrible for what is going on in the US. I couldn't imagine living there as someone who voted for Hillary. For all of our sane brothers and sisters to our South, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

My immediate and extended family was mortified when Trump was elected. We have followed these events very closely and we're hoping and praying Trump would not get elected.

I have been passionate from the start of his run that Trump was going to be an absolute nightmare, not only for the US, but for the world. The sad part is, none of what has happened really surprised me. I knew he was going to be a disaster (as of course, millions of others did too). I wasn't ready, ever, to give him a chance.

Just look at his character. He fights with everyone. He cannot admit he is wrong, he cannot learn, educate himself, or even be bothered to know American history. Trump is a pathological liar, who thinks only of himself. He has no grace, loyalty, moral compass or balance in any way. He actively spouts nonsense and lies to mislead people. Trump is not accountable for his actions. He doesn't take responsibility or respect the gravity and importance of the Presidency.

Trump is the absolute worst leader, the most terrible, sickening and despicable public figure I've ever seen. On top of all this, he is a racist, misogynistic, xenophobe.

America has to do more to have this man removed. The alt-right has been given a platform and it is slowly spreading up here to Canada. I fear for our future children, in this world of hate.

Go_Ly_Dow

Saddened, but not surprised considering societal/geographical divide and socio-economic issues not being addressed and left festering to grow.

I say not surprised because in the UK it caused Brexit, so a Trump presidency didn't seem too far fetched despite what the polls were predicting.

I've always been curious to visit the USA, but never interested in living there because of the lack of affordable healthcare and workers rights.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting watching America fall victim to what they all think they are above (nazi's).

It's also interesting the checks and balances built into the American political system more or less working (limiting trumps bullshit ideas from being put into plan).

The spiteful part of me feels like the US has earned this and it's the logical consequence of the pro wrestling that is the 2 year election process in the USA.

The realistic part of me realises that we don't want anybody except the USA as 'big brother' as China an Russia aren't exactly the lifestyle i wanna emulate and India isn't gonna get it together super power wise.

In conclusion I really hope the Mueller dude is gonna yell 'suprise watertight case IMPEACHED' sometime in the next 6 months.

I really really really want to see twitter pictures of dtrump in cuffs (its a pipe dream)

Haunted

Man, so many factors.

I'm constantly torn between pity (for the sane people living there) and anger (at the injustices happening). I deal with it by relentlessly mocking what your country has become as a defense mechanism. Maybe that will get people to stand up for themselves, appealing to their pride and taught sense of exceptionalism.

It seems like a very scary and sad place to live at the moment, I always imagined the US as a top 10 country growing up, but as I've grown older and Bush took power (TWICE! a real wake-up call) and now obviously with Trump - I definitely consider it to be on the low end of western civilised states in terms of living quality, safety and the values it champions as a society.

So on the one hand, it's fascinating to see a (former?) superpower decline so sharply, retreating into isolation and basically tearing itself apart from the inside instead of reading about it in the history books. On the other hand, I have sadness and pity for the people living there and having to suffer under incompetent Nazi leadership.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I think a lot of the problems in America can be linked to unchecked capitalism.

I'm a socialist which seems to be a bad word there. I think if people have good jobs, public services and healthcare and feel safe they are far less likely to veer towards extremism.

The big companies over there seem determined to not allow this to happen. So there is a false narrative created in people's heads that it's them or us. I don't have these things I need because of this group of people.

Actually, there is plenty to go around but there are a tiny percentage of people at the top taking everything whilst laughing at white racist's hating POC instead of them.

HariKari

4 in 10 Americans believe humans did not evolve and were created in our present state by a divine being.

40% is too high in 2017.

4 out of 10 isn't a majority. It certainly isn't a majority in progressive states and cities. Don't go to Salt Lake City looking for atheists.

I don't dispute that it's too high, but it has been declining over the last few decades (did you look at your own article?). You're either too young to remember or are choosing to ignore the progress the country has made. Trump has things in very visible turmoil right now but that's not going to be permanent.

Nijo Nerd

Neo Member
I am French and believe I am much more interested in what happens in the US since 2016 despite our own elections here. I am "Damage Report" Jean-Luc Picard every morning.

What is going on your side is really scary from our perspective because it could happen once again somewhere in Europe in the near future. However, there are glimpses of hope such as people turning themselves up for taking statues down or such. I am with you!

The most fascinating points in the whole story were up until now:
-How Trump supporters are brainwashed by conservative media and immune to critical thinking
-Trump Firing James Comey
-Comey's public testimoney (It was more hype than any E3 for me, that's saying a lot)
-Mueller gathering the League of Extraordinary Attorneys
-GOP unable to grow a spine and doing nothing about this trainwreck

notaskwid

I'm baffled watching people on US news channels acting baffled at Trump's attitude the last few days. Like it wasn't abundantly made clear who he was and what he stood for this last year or so.

SKINNER!

Banned
Donald Trump being your president is quite revealing to be honest.

Kinda. US politics has always been about shady deals and pushing agendas that benefits nobody except big businesses and corps. Interestingly, presidents prior to Trump did a very good job at concealing that. Trump being an asshat obviously doesn't understand this concept so it's quite revealing to see it being all out in the open.

Aiii

So not worth it
4 out of 10 isn't a majority. It certainly isn't a majority in progressive states and cities. Don't go to Salt Lake City looking for atheists.

I don't dispute that it's too high, but it has been declining over the last few decades (did you look at your own article?). You're either too young to remember or are choosing to ignore the progress the country has made. Trump has things in very visible turmoil right now but that's not going to be permanent.

Which is why I said this:
I'm hoping the newer generation will steer away from all that and become more loving and understanding of one another.

Top Bottom