• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who live in >90°F / 32°C areas, what do you keep your AC set to?

Rule one:
Turn air condition only on when not a home.
Enjoy a cool home without air condition tradeoffs when at home.

If your appartment or house has crap isolation, you're obviously fucked

73/74F during the when I'm at work...70-71F when I'm home. If I keep it hotter when away, it just stresses it and it almost can never cool down in a reasonable time.

EYEL1NER

72 degrees. South Carolina.
If I remember right from previous posts, we live near each other. I keep my place a couple degrees colder, at 70. If my apartment AC unit didn't always ice up and drip water, I'd go for 65. I keep the AC in my car at 58 at all times.

Z3K

I never turn off the A/C "winter" or summer, and when I'm home I set the temp to 24C (75F) in the living room and 23C in my bedroom and then when I'm not home I just set it to 26C (78F) which basically just leaves the fan on.

Depends entirely on how good the AC is and whether it's central or window units. Window units I find I have to turn them down lower, say around 67, central I usually keep at around 70. Honestly I like it freezing so I am only happy when my girlfriend is miserable lol. Her house has a boss AC though. It's central and if you turn it down to 70 it gets freezing. For comparison sake I sometimes frost my windows up I keep it so cold and I could get her central air to do that set at around 70 whereas mine I have to put it on around 64 to do that

Also I live in New Orleans so everyone always has their AC on. Everyone

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
72 in Texas. My apartment has really good insulation, so it doesn't heat up much when it is off for about 8 hours during workdays.

Z3K

People who have their A/C below 70 what do you guys wear at home?
For me, I'm in shorts and t-shirt the whole time and I just find anything below 75 way too cold.

New Orleans, 73F with the ceiling fan running constantly. Otherwise I can feel the waxy sweaty cocoon consume me within an hour or two because of the suffocating humidity down here. I tend to sweat easy though. Car AC is an absolute must and you stay the hell away from dark colored car interiors and seatbelts metal lest you get yourself a second degree burn.

Darren870

Lived in Melbourne, Australia for 3 years with no AC. Wasn't too bad. Got used to it so I don't really use it at all.

69, SC.

Hate the heat indoors. Constant sweating is miserable, and I can't sleep if it's warm. Even in the winter I have the fan blowing on me and just cover up if necessary.

Zoe

73, but we have a problem at the new house...

GOPDzUml.jpg

Not sure if it's a calibration thing or if the unit runs hot.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have an AC in my room, I just crank it to 60 for like 6 hours

Leave the door closed with and Industrial fan blasting the cool air

The turn it off, room stays crispy cool for 10-12 hours with fan circulating it

The electricity here goes on a sliding scale, where if you use more than 500kWh per month it costs like 11 times more than if you use ~100kWh/M. For reference, the average American household used 901 kWh per month in 2015.

So it sucks in the summer. I can run the AC for a few hours a day at about 77f and it still costs like $300/month for electricity.

MGrant

Taiwan here. I keep it set around 20C (68F). Doesn't help that much; that tropical humidity will get you if you even so much as think about opening a window.

styl3s

Rule one:
Turn air condition only on when not a home.
Enjoy a cool home without air condition tradeoffs when at home.

If your appartment or house has crap isolation, you're obviously fucked
I have 3 dogs so i keep air/heat going all year.

Generally i keep it at 68 in summer and 70 in winter (72 when it gets down in the teens and 73-74 when it drops into the low single digits which is rare here)

77-78, some of you guys must have enormous electric bills.
My electric bill is cheap but i also live in a city that is extremely affordable to live in. Shit, my water bill is $25 a month.

Apoptomon

My energy company recommends 23-26°C (73-78°F) in summer. The A/C system I have though is evaporative and works on fan speed, not temperature.

11redder

Georgia. Both AC units are stressed. One needs a tune-up and the other probably needs to be replaced. Right now the older unit is set to either 77-78 until it can't keep up, then I turn it off and ride it out for the rest of the day. The newer three year old unit was set to around 75-76 and that thing can't keep up either.

I'd prefer it to be something like 72-74 but electricity bill gets expensive, insulation must be leaking air somewhere, and the units run but don't cool what it needs to.

Finding someone to repair/replace units is a headache.
Did you get your AC pipes/system cleaned recently? In the house we rent (Ga also), the electricity bills used to out of control during the warmer months and the house was never as cool as we wanted, but getting the system cleaned made a world of difference. Electricity bills dropped appreciably and the temperature in the house is so much more bearable. I presume getting the system cleaned would also take consideable pressure off the air conditioning units, resulting in a longer life.

mavo

Banned
Idk but i always liked going the lowest i can so 60.

Anyway only at night and is a room AC(mini split) not those full home ac or however you call em.

Jedi2016

Texas, around 72-74. I'm not 100% sure, since I don't have an accurate thermometer for inside, and the thermostat is ancient (to put it mildly). I plan on getting one of those newfangled learning thermostats at some point, but I'll probably keep it cool most of the time. I have pets, and the master bedroom in the back gets pretty warm in the afternoon and it takes forever to cool it down if I leave the AC off for a while.

Weevilone

I set it for 70 but let it vary 3 extra degrees if needed to clean up the humidity. That's my biggest issue. Before I had this A/C I had to run a dehumidifier in the basement to keep from getting mildew/mold on stuff, but this is more efficient. A few years back I I wasn't paying attention and the walls in my storage room got mold all over and I had to have it professionally remediated.

Yay for living by 2 major rivers.

Our house sucks too b/c it's 2 floors plus finished basement. If you want the upstairs where we sleep to not suck it's freezing in the basement. I tried to redo everything for 2 A/C units when I replaced it but the EXTRA cost was $10k. Nope. It was 63 in my office the other day.

Now we're talking. Getting those high 60's responses haha. You sweat at work and outside, no good reason to do it at home too.

My girlfriend complains when I make it as cold as I like but I always say that she can get warmer by throwing on a comfy sweatshirt whereas if I make it warmer for her I'm fucked. Nothing I can do to make myself feel cooler when it's warm

lem0n

I live in Mesa, AZ and it was about 100 today. It gets to like 115 in the middle of summer. I keep my AC at 70, it doesn't change. Apartment life has it's perks, lol. Cheap to cool.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
In the office: Not cold enough. Fuck you people that demand the AC to be turned off for long intervals.

Indeed. I work with a lot of Indians who like it warm. Sometimes it gets above 80 degrees making it near impossible for me to work without feeling incredibly drozy and light headed.

Ogodei

All the way up at 79, though i think my thermostat runs higher than reality because i have my computer right beneath it, so you get ambient heat up there.

McKinney, TX

78F during the day (If I'm at home) A/C off and all windows open at night. (I live in a "Luxury" Studio on the 3rd floor, so risk of people breaking in are low.)

Oddly enough my place has yet to rise above 85 even if the A/C off.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Was 91 in ft Meyers today. Fans only. 70 back home in nova, still would have been fans. I'll turn the AC to fan mode just to blow through the filter.

If it's just me and the dog, fans. If people are over then AC for them, cause their all weak whiney babies.

70 is jacket weather btw.

Top Bottom