• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who live in >90°F / 32°C areas, what do you keep your AC set to?

JaY P.

Over here it gets up to 85 - 90, but when there are no trade winds, it can get insanely muggy.

We have split units so we generally turn on the unit in the area we are in. On hot, humid days we keep it at 68. But if we don't want to be home we just go to one of the local beaches (AKA Hawaiian Air Conditioner) or steal AC from a theatre or mall for a few hours.

ruffles

Houston Texas here. 79F when no one's home thanks to the Nest. 75 when at the house and at night with ceiling fans running.

From Georiga USA and live in Kyushuu Japan so... same damn weather haha.

In USA my parents set the AC to 69F or so. My room faced the sun in the evening so it was scorching in the afternoon + my electronics, mainly the second gen LG LCD TV that ran amazingly hot.

Here in Japan I set it to 16C when its hot for a few minutes just to kinda burst cool the room. No real point in letting it run for a long time because the placement of the AC is in an amazingly stupid place. Its slightly angled towards a wall + nook so it is a bit blocked by a support beam. So one side of the room is cool the other cools slowly, not to mention the rest of the apartment.

I want to pull it out and adjust it so bad or set up like... plastic/cardboard to block it from going to the side and just straight out @.@

I keep mine set to 78 and was told it's best to always keep it set here even when I'm gone for hours at a time. Seems like a waste to me and I also turn it off at night, have a fan above my bed for really warm evenings.

Hmm, I am actually quite curious about this too. My dad told me the same thing when I first moved out. Wondering if there's any proof to help support this.

At my current place I can remotely control the a/c so I turn it on a couple of hours before I get back home and off when I am not there.

besada

Banned
75 during the day, 70 at night. Often it's unable to reach either of those temperatures and just runs forever. Texas summer sucks.

If I remember right from previous posts, we live near each other. I keep my place a couple degrees colder, at 70. If my apartment AC unit didn't always ice up and drip water, I'd go for 65. I keep the AC in my car at 58 at all times.
Yup I remember.

That's cold to me but my office mate likes to have it cranked as low as it will go. I'm starting to get used to it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
dc4f0914-b9cd-4efd-ba4e-aced4e393baa_300.jpg

High Cool

Hydrus

75. Southern California. But a have a two story home and the upstairs is constantly hot no matter what I set the AC to. Fuck two story homes.

Ernest

Banned
I'm a little nuts and I LOVE the heat - the hotter the better!
So I never turn on my AC, unless I have people over.
Though even when it gets to 100-C outside, my house never seems to get hotter than 92.
I think my breaking point would be 95 indoors, mostly due to it being stuffy, not the heat itself. Since opening windows in that heat wouldn't help.

I live in Michigan. The temp in my house stays at 68 degrees year round. The 4 bedrooms are on the second floor and it's too hot to sleep at anything higher than that for us. I don't know how some of you do it at 74+.

Joezie

Florida reporting in.

78F full stop with few exceptions. My room in particular happens to have crazy good insulation so leave the AC on enough and the temperature comes crashing down and can easily hold through most of the day casually speaking.

TheYanger

Sacramento, we get something between 10-20 100+ F days per year.

My thermostat requires me to choose between heating or cooling, summer it's 74, winter it's 68.

I also usually am in the rooms with the most electronics running, so it's a good couple degrees higher there.

I imagine if it didn't get so hot I wouldn't require the temp to be so low, I'm comfortable up until about 80. But then again I almost felt like I was going to have heat stroke doing my jog today in 95 degree weather so, fuck it.

x3sphere

80 during the day. I live in AZ, my power bill would be crazy if I ran it in the low 70s all day. I keep it around 75 during off peak hours, after 7 pm.

78 C to keep costs down since it goes 100+ here in Texas. Ideally would be 75-76 C or so, I don't like it too cool.

I don't remember Texas temps going above boiling. And I'm sure everyone in my house would die at 170F. You must have super powers, or a broken thermostat.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It was 115 the other day, in a few weeks it will start hitting 120+
We keep the ac at 72

BaasRed

Banned
I set it to 20 degrees only during day (any higher than that and the AC produces the weirdest sound). At night I turn it off so I can sleep better.

Low 70s, if I was single there would be no ACs I ignore temp changes, but my wife and kids do so I bought some ACs and they do the job of a Centeral Air unit. Stays cool in the home but close the damn door!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
78 C to keep costs down since it goes 100+ here in Texas. Ideally would be 75-76 C or so, I don't like it too cool.

Were you the guy who kept insisting on torturing his roomate with obscenely high temperatures in your dorm room while you studied?

squall23

32 is about as high as it gets here, but even then it's not that bad. We don't have AC in our house but our basement is very cool without it.

32 in a place like Hong Kong though. That's a different story. That's just disgusting and excruciating.

Arizona reporting in- I like to keep it 75 during the day when I'm gone and 72 when I'm home.

I am not ready for the triple digit madness conning this week, continuing through to October.

KaoteK

I have AC, but just use fans most of the time. If I turn it on, it'll be as low as it can go (16 degrees Celsius)

Top Bottom