• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Destiny 2 PvP?

The movement in D2 PVP is super fast though. Definitely has an arena shooter feel

Nah. You can move fast if your agility is above 7, but that barely helps you during combat because 99% of the sandbox isn't designed for you to move and shoot at the same time, which is the anthesis of arena shooters. The maps are also way more shallow than they were in D1 because they're designed for you to hug corners and scope lanes with long ranged weapons. There's nothing arena about the game aside from picking up power ammo.

The biggest redeeming factor is that the weapons themselves are fairly balanced among each other, aside from energy auto rifles being too stable and hand cannon TTK being too high. If they fixed those, the weapon sandbox would generally be fine.

Nah. You can move fast if your agility is above 7, but that barely helps you during combat because 99% of the sandbox isn't designed for you to move and shoot at the same time, which is the anthesis of arena shooters. The maps are also way more shallow than they were in D1 because they're designed for you to hug corners and scope lanes with long ranged weapons. There's nothing arena about the game aside from picking up power ammo.

The biggest redeeming factor is that the weapons themselves are fairly balanced among each other, aside from energy auto rifles being too stable and hand cannon TTK being too high. If they fixed those, the weapon sandbox would generally be fine.

Moving doesn't matter all that much either, because wherever you go, you're likely on someone's radar. So strategic movement holds considerably less value. Again, not like an arena shooter.

Iorv3th

Playing without a full fireteam is the absolute worst. People keep running from encouters getting shot in the back and leaving people by themselves. It's super frustrating.

If they wanted to make it so team focused they should make it so you can't even matchmake without a full fireteam. It's annoying that it pairs you up against a full fireteam when you go in solo and the other people you get paired with want to be Rambo the whole match even though it isn't working for them.

Idk about everyone else but I am beasting in the Crucible out of no where. I'm just way to good...but I don't want to inflate myself since I don't play competitively. I like queuing for quick play and I does what I does and leave. So overall, I enjoy it but it's not my go to mode every day.

MastAndo

It's pretty much just strategic positioning, then stop and pop, ducking behind a wall when the damage is too much. I like it. :)

My days of fast twitch, reflex-driven multiplayer games are over. Lawbreakers made that painfully apparent - that started alright, but once guys started getting good, I felt I was just a step too slow. D2 PvP is more my speed.

m23

Playing without a full fireteam is the absolute worst. People keep running from encouters getting shot in the back and leaving people by themselves. It's super frustrating.

If they wanted to make it so team focused they should make it so you can't even matchmake without a full fireteam.
It's annoying that it pairs you up against a full fireteam when you go in solo and the other people you get paired with want to be Rambo the whole match even though it isn't working for them.

Although they could maybe add a playlist for only solo players, I don't see the issue. This is pretty much how online games work, including Halo, Titanfall, etc.

The bolded doesn't even make sense. Get people together and play it, no one is forcing you to jump in solo.

Future

Way better. No more turn corner and insta killed by

Shotty
Snipe
Fusion
Super
Rocket
Titans shoulder charge
Grenade

And to a slightly lesser extent

The Last Word

The above literally was the definition of destiny multiplayer. All the top killers abused one of the above. With amazing results and insane kill counts.

Changes to heavy ammo, cooldown Times to supers and grenades, and shotties and snipers becoming heavy ammo were huge shifts. A much better foundation

Although I’m sure they will bring back a playlists where everything can go haywire again, with fast cooldown a and heavy ammo everywhere to bring it back to old destiny chaos

Way better. No more turn corner and insta killed by

Shotty
Snipe
Fusion
Super
Rocket
Titans shoulder charge
Grenade

And to a slightly lesser extent

The Last Word

The above literally was the definition of destiny multiplayer. All the top killers abused one of the above. With amazing results and insane kill counts.

Changes to heavy ammo, cooldown Times to supers and grenades, and shotties and snipers becoming heavy ammo were huge shifts. A much better foundation

Although I’m sure they will bring back a playlists where everything can go haywire again, with fast cooldown a and heavy ammo everywhere to bring it back to old destiny chaos

The end result is a worse version of the dozen of shooters we already have on the market. Nothing unique or fun about this. It's basically a Auto rifle/Scout rifle fest where moving is a bad play.

Team of 3/4 standing ads on a corner watching that radar with mida. Gg bungie, amazing experience :')

Hilariously bad

Plus this makes it one of the worst pvp games I've ever played. Not even joking

Played again yesterday for the reward and had people skipping and not taking damage again. That was the moment I noped out. I'm not dealing with peer to peer red bar warriors in 2017 bungie.

If you force me through your god awful matchmaking then have the infrastructure to back it up.

hydruxo

The end result is a worse version of the dozen of shooters we already have on the market. Nothing unique or fun about this. It's basically a Auto rifle/Scout rifle fest where moving is a bad play.

Agreed. On one hand, sure it was annoying to be killed by snipers/shottys/etc. in D1 but you also had those tools at your disposal. In D2 it really is just auto rifles and scout rifles and that's really it. There's no variety anymore. It's boring.

Theorry

So i gave it a good month. Played tons of matches and i think overall its one of the worst PVP of alot of games i played.

First its boring. 4vs4 has been a very bad choice for overall Crucible.
People take a flag and then run away, people peak a corner and then run away, people get heavy and run away. There are not really nice gun battles are nice pushes alone.

And thats the second point. Its just team shooting all day and most of the time through a hallway with a Rift down. Where is the dynamic fighting? The nice pushes for a heavy spawn? The nice plays where you get 3 guys. Destiny 1 sure had its problems but it still felt dynamic and active, or nice super plays where you get some guys in one go. Now you pop your super and its just people running away again. I can go on. Overall its just boring atm.

Edit: And i still love it that even with 4vs4 it has people spawn right behind you.

Top Bottom