• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ in default with Wells Fargo over $50 million credit facility

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

dionysus

Yaldog
Matt and Trey actually went to Obsidian, pitched the idea, and then went shopping for a publisher after they had already signed them up.

While this doesn't confirm that they chose the genre, my guess would be that they did given the context.

Has Obsidian commented? I saw that THQ had over 50 million in accounts payable on the balance sheet, I'd hate to see Obsidian not get payed for work already done.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, ya... you don't go to Obsidian to make a Kart Racer...

So where does the licensing for THQ come into this then equation then? Matt and Trey come around with Obsidian in tow and say "We'll let you publish this game if you pay us Xm."?

I imagine they're earning a royalty payment up front and then a profit sharing royalty rate, perhaps even before the development budget has been paid off given their stature.

Has Obsidian commented? I saw that THQ had over 50 million in accounts payable on the balance sheet, I'd hate to see Obsidian not get payed for work already done.

Not to my knowledge, but here are some of the last things we heard about the studio:

Joystiq said:
Additionally, Kotaku reports that the North Carolina project was to be published by Microsoft, and was intended for the still unannounced Xbox 360 successor console. Our tipster tells us that the North Carolina project was "desperately needed" for the studio's continued survival, which matches reports that Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart "choked up" while addressing his employees about the canned project.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-missed-fallout-new-vegas-metacritic-bonus-by-one-point/

So then they went on the road pitching project presumably. Here is their last comment on that.

VG247: At what point did you decide you wanted to take the Kickstarter route? You have to imagine that all of this would have been a hard to do precisely the way you wanted under a big publisher.

Avellone: A few months ago. Exhaustion with the pitch process was part of it. We’ve been pitching titles for months upon months upon months upon months, and even then, none of them are isometric RPGs that we used to do and love.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/21/project_eternity_kickstarter_obsidian_entertainment_interview/

I'm not... overflowing with optimism.

Absolutely right, expressing interest is a long way from an actual purchase.

I think there is value in the IPs that THQ owns directly but not the studios associated. Nowhere near the value that THQ have given them though.

Do you know if Microsoft, Sony, and/or Nintendo are interested in any of THQ's IP? Thanks for sharing your information btw :)

I wonder if EA would try to pick up the 40k license if they picked up Relic. Hopefully one of the last bastions of RTS development (at least in terms of innovation) will be picked up. I enjoyed SR The Third but I really only care about Relic.

Do you know if Microsoft, Sony, and/or Nintendo are interested in any of THQ's IP? Thanks for sharing your information btw :)

None of the platform holders are interested in any of THQ's IPs as far as I know, but it's early days yet. I think Darksiders would be a good fit for either Sony or Microsoft.

dionysus

Yaldog

Me either, I am assuming the worst. Typical reimbursement contracts require payments between 30-90 days after invoicing. Struggling companies normally delay payments till the last day allowed in the contract. (That is why a sharp rise in accounts payable is a red flag.) I mean, God forbid, we could be looking at 90 days of work that THQs third parties will have to eat.

Edit. I know nothing about how it works in the game business, but that is how it works in some other businesses I am familiar with.

Almighty

Damn this is terrible. THQ is imploding sooner then I thought. Anyway if EA does grab Company of Heroes then they sure as hell better grab Relic along with it. As the only thing EA does well with RTSs is running them into the ground.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if EA would try to pick up the 40k license if they picked up Relic. Hopefully one of the last bastions of RTS development (at least in terms of innovation) will be picked up. I enjoyed SR The Third but I really only care about Relic.

I kind of imagine they would rebrand it to an owned IP like a sci-fi C&C or maybe repurpose Homeworld.

Me either, I am assuming the worst. Typical reimbursement contracts require payments between 30-90 days after invoicing. Struggling companies normally delay payments till the last day allowed in the contract. (That is why a sharp rise in accounts payable is a red flag.) I mean, God forbid, we could be looking at 90 days of work that THQs third parties will have to eat.

Edit. I know nothing about how it works in the game business, but that is how it works in some other businesses I am familiar with.
Generally the games industry uses milestone payments for independent studios, so they could just keep saying the developer isn't hitting the milestone yet to delay payments.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm leaning towards SE being the one interested party in Darksiders. Obviously not Acti, the IP isn't worth that much. I think Ubi's plate is probably too full. 2K, maybe but even then I'm having trouble seeing the "fit" there. EA's going to have their sights set higher, so not them. None of the other Japanese publishers, I don't see why they'd want it or what they've even do with it.

I would have actually guessed Warner first but that's been shot down.

It'll be some fire sale acquisition, regardless.

Jawmuncher

So if THQ has no buyers do you think Warner Bros will swoop in for the low bid again like they did with Midway?

(I read the OP but it so doesn't make sense to me so i'm just throwing this out there)

Busty

Banned
I think there is value in the IPs that THQ owns directly but not the studios associated. Nowhere near the value that THQ have given them though.

IIRC when Midway were also circling the drain they valued the Mortal Kombat IP and the NetherRealm Studio team at something ludicrous like $500m.

Of course when the whole thing imploded Warners swooped in and bought the entire Midway operation (studios, IPs, the lot) out of bankruptcy for something like $30m.

As I've said all along I expect WB to do the same with THQ should a similar situation arise. Time Warner don't pay 'sticker price' for anything and this is exactly the sort of transaction they would be looking out for.

IIRC when Midway were also circling the drain they valued the Mortal Kombat IP and the NetherRealm Studio team at something ludicrous like $500m.

Of course when the whole thing imploded Warners swooped in and bought the entire Midway operation (studios, IPs, the lot) out of bankruptcy for something like $30m.

As I've said all along I expect WB to do the same with THQ should a similar situation arise. Time Warner don't pay 'sticker price' for anything and this is exactly the sort of transaction they would be looking out for.

Possibly, but I think THQ's IPs will bring in more money piecemeal than as a single entity.

Patryn

I imagine they're earning a royalty payment up front and then a profit sharing royalty rate, perhaps even before the development budget has been paid off given their stature.

Not to my knowledge, but here are some of the last things we heard about the studio:

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-missed-fallout-new-vegas-metacritic-bonus-by-one-point/

So then they went on the road pitching project presumably. Here is their last comment on that.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/21/project_eternity_kickstarter_obsidian_entertainment_interview/

I'd be a lot more worried about Obsidian if it wasn't for the success of PE. At the worst I can see the studio downsizing dramatically, but I can't see them totally shutting down until PE is out the door.

Frankly, I think Obsidian needs to realize that they need to downsize and that they're much more suited making modest PC-centric RPGs than AAA console titles.

This is what you get for shit talking Saints Row 3, Jason Rubin.

Rubin was put in an impossible situation. What games have THQ put out since he took his position? Darksiders 2?

I think the Bombcast this past week had it right: Darksiders 2 was supposed to be a Hail Mary that would give them enough money to get Metro, CoH and South Park out, then Saint's Row 4 was supposed to be the title to save the company. That didn't work out.

I kind of imagine they would rebrand it to an owned IP like a sci-fi C&C or maybe repurpose Homeworld.

Generally the games industry uses milestone payments for independent studios, so they could just keep saying the developer isn't hitting the milestone yet to delay payments.

I would honestly be fine with Relic taking over the Tiberian/Sci-fi C&C titles if they were allowed to work on CoH and Dawn of War if they picked up that license.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would honestly be fine with Relic taking over the Tiberian/Sci-fi C&C titles if they were allowed to work on CoH and Dawn of War if they picked up that license.

Well, I'm just imagining in my mind that EA probably doesn't want to license Dawn of War, but they might be willing to take what was Dawn of War 3 and rebrand it as a new/existing IP that they own.

I'd be a lot more worried about Obsidian if it wasn't for the success of PE. At the worst I can see the studio downsizing dramatically, but I can't see them totally shutting down until PE is out the door.

Frankly, I think Obsidian needs to realize that they need to downsize and that they're much more suited making modest PC-centric RPGs than AAA console titles.
Right, I'm more worried about the people who aren't among the 22 staffers chosen to work on Project Eternity.

iammeiam

I think the Bombcast this past week had it right: Darksiders 2 was supposed to be a Hail Mary that would give them enough money to get Metro, CoH and South Park out, then Saint's Row 4 was supposed to be the title to save the company. That didn't work out.

I really think they would have been better off leaving the Dominatrix Saints Row expansion pack alone and releasing it this holiday season. Delaying it to turn it into a 'full' sequel made them lean way too heavily on Darksiders 2, which was never a sure thing.

Well, I'm just imagining in my mind that EA probably doesn't want to license Dawn of War, but they might be willing to take what was Dawn of War 3 and rebrand it as a new/existing IP that they own.

Right, I'm more worried about the people who aren't among the 22 staffers chosen to work on Project Eternity.

Is there any danger of Obsidian using PE money to finish up SP? Are they required to provided accounting details on how the money is being spent?

Culex

Banned
Why do you think it'll be delisted? It takes 30 days of trading at below $1 a share or 10 days of trading following a letter of noncompliance, as I understand it. The stock is still above $1 and I don't believe that we've heard that they're yet in noncompliance.

Unless you mean they take themselves off?

You're right, i forgot about the 30 day window.

Stock is now $1.18.

Time to buy, or wait until white knight comes in?

I'm leaning towards SE being the one interested party in Darksiders.
Lots if people seem to be leaning this way, but I'm not sure why? It's totally redundant for SE given they already have a more successful gothic Zelda clone in Legacy of Kain.

My guess is EA's looking at a full sweep.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there any danger of Obsidian using PE money to finish up SP? Are they required to provided accounting details on how the money is being spent?

They're a private company, so they aren't, but THQ is required to give them money if they want a finished product.

jcm

So if THQ has no buyers do you think Warner Bros will swoop in for the low bid again like they did with Midway?

(I read the OP but it so doesn't make sense to me so i'm just throwing this out there)

Not unless or until THQ gets into bankruptcy. The only people who would be interested before that would be PE.

You're right, i forgot about the 30 day window.

Stock is now $1.18.

Time to buy, or wait until white knight comes in?

Why would you buy stock in them? This morning you thought the bank was going to seize them tomorrow.

FLEABttn

Banned
Lots if people seem to be leaning this way, but I'm not sure why? It's totally redundant for SE given they already have a more successful gothic Zelda clone in Legacy of Kain.

I don't put my faith in IP's where the last, middling entry was almost a decade ago.

Which isn't to say you're wrong. However, I think there's a fair argument to be made against EA buying the IP because it's vaguely similar to Dante's Inferno, which is an IP EA already owns that is arguably as successful as Darksiders (when looking at a game to game comparison, not IP to IP).

Culex

Banned
Not unless or until THQ gets into bankruptcy. The only people who would be interested before that would be PE.

Why would you buy stock in them? This morning you thought the bank was going to seize them tomorrow.

Article posted before says that a buyer might come in. I don't know, lol.

But at 1 buck a share, throwing 1k and see what happens is something i was thinking about.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

But at 1 buck a share, throwing 1k and see what happens is something i was thinking about.

You'd be better off spending those 1k on hookers and blow.

Or giving them to me so I could go off on an eBay rampage and buy a ton of old, long out of print goth CDs.

I don't put my faith in IP's where the last, middling entry was almost a decade ago.

Which isn't to say you're wrong. However, I think there's a fair argument to be made against EA buying the IP because it's vaguely similar to Dante's Inferno, which is an IP EA already owns that is arguably as successful as Darksiders (when looking at a game to game comparison, not IP to IP).
Sure, it's just looking at the IP the only suitable dev within SE is really Crystal Dynamics, and if they're going to make a game like this then reviving LOK (Soul Reaver specifically) just makes more sense financially. The franchise has more historical cache, established developer association and they already own it. A middling entry a decade ago still trumps a middling entry this year when it's a "free" IP imo.

As far as EA, Dante's Inferno covers similar thematic ground, but the game design is still pretty different. I don't think EA really has a readymade inhouse studio well suited to making Darksiders either though. I dunno, maybe Ubisoft wants it? Take 2?

wrowa

They're a private company, so they aren't, but THQ is required to give them money if they want a finished product.

If THQ goes under before they can finish South Park and there are bills to be paid, there might not be any other solution for Obsidian than using PE's money. Obsidian seems to stand on rather shaky legs, that's always been the reason why I feared PE might become the first big Kickstarter accident.

Patryn

Brera? Is that you?

Do that and you're going to take a bath. Here's a secret: They will not find a buyer. Any company will get their stuff cheaper when it's sold piecemeal than buying the entire company. I can almost guarantee that you will lose all money you put into them at this point.

If THQ goes under before they can finish South Park and there are bills to be paid, there might not be any other solution for Obsidian than using PE's money. Obsidian seems to stand on rather shaky legs, that's always been the reason why I feared PE might become the first big Kickstarter accident.

I have no doubt Obsidian would leave South Park to die rather than take money from PE. They know that PE is their future. They seem to be refocusing on PC-centric RPGs. Why piss their fans off in order to release a game in which they'll likely see little to no cuts of the profits? They certainly didn't get a cut of New Vegas. At best, they'll get a bonus payment.

They're mercenaries on South Park. Project Eternity is their baby, and their own IP they own 100 percent of. It's not rocket science.

jcm

I just figured out that you guys don't mean private equity when you say PE. Which PE are you talking about?

Edit: Never mind, figured out it's Project Eternity, a kickstarter-funded game for Obsidian.

Edit 2: Thanks guys.

Almighty

I have no doubt Obsidian would leave South Park to die rather than take money from PE. They know that PE is their future. They seem to be refocusing on PC-centric RPGs. Why piss their fans off in order to release a game in which they'll likely see little to no cuts of the profits? They certainly didn't get a cut of New Vegas. At best, they'll get a bonus payment.

They're mercenaries on South Park. Project Eternity is their baby, and their own IP they own 100 percent of. It's not rocket science.

I agree and I might be wrong, but from what I gathered The Stick of Truth sounds like it is Matt and Trey's baby and not just another licensed IP THQ has. So I assume that worse comes to worse they will front the money to keep it afloat until they land a new publisher. That is of course assuming Obsidian has unpaid bills from that project. So I don't really think there will be a need for Obsidian to even touch the PE money.

scitek

Nintendo will not buy THQ. THQ do not fit to Nintendo's business profile at all. THQ's best selling franchise, Saints Row, is diametrically opposed to Nintendo's kid friendly image and most of the other games are aimed at mature gamers. Only uDraw was aimed at Nintendo's consumer base and there is nothing stopping Nintendo from buying the uDraw IP and porting it to the Wii U and 3DS, though I think Draw Something has pretty much cornered the gaming via drawing market.

Not saying it relates to this situation at all, but neither Bayonetta 2 nor Ninja Gaiden 3 fit Ninteno's image, but they're publishing both.

Eusis

I agree and I might be wrong, but from what I gathered The Stick of Truth sounds like it is Matt and Trey's baby and not just another licensed IP THQ has. So I assume that worse comes to worse they will front the money to keep it afloat until they land a new publisher. That is of course assuming Obsidian has unpaid bills from that project. So I don't really think there will be a need for Obsidian to even touch the PE money.
That's what I'm thinking, and they probably will find a publisher more easily simply because of how big South Park is and that this is shaping up to be the one truly worthwhile title the show's spawned.

sp3000

I think Relic would work well at EA. For all the hate they get, they produce very strong PC versions of their game and are PC focused since they have an incentive with Origin. It would be a good fit rather than some other publisher that would try to put Company of Heroes on the consoles

You know what, we might even get a Homeworld 3 since THQ has just been sitting on that IP

Top Bottom