• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ in default with Wells Fargo over $50 million credit facility

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How do we know this? Sorry I must have missed something.

I could see Square Enix and Warner Bros being the most likely candidates for IP shopping. I don't think anyone will pick up Darksiders though.

To my knowledge, zomg is actually in a position to know all this:

So I've been asking around today, there are at least 4 interested parties in Saints Row, 1 interested party in Darksiders and 1 interested party in Company of Heroes.

Our guy says the banks will be able to recover around $40m from asset sales and a further $10m from the sale of offices, equipment and leases.

Even though THQ are done for, their major IPs are going to survive as will a couple of the studios.

If anyone has questions about the future of other IPs I can ask our guy who is advising one of the interested parties as to what the prospects are.
hope company of heroes 2 gets completed by the studio...

can you check "metro last light"?

Metro is not owned by THQ. It is a licenced property.

I would like to know what could happen to the WWE series. Is there a legal reason for another developer not taking it and releasing a WWE '14?

WWE is a licenced property, in the event that THQ go bankrupt the licence will revert to WWE and they will sell it to another developer, probably at a much lower price as the fees for WWE are part of why THQ are in trouble.

What about red faction?

2 interested parties.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to bet:

Saints Row: Warner, Square Enix, EA, and Microsoft
Darksiders: Warner
Company of Heroes: EA (feel free to stone me, but they're one of the only publishers who is acquisitive and also shows interest in getting back in the strategy business)

SR: Yes, no, yes, no.
Darksiders: No.
Company of Heroes: Yes.

They paint a rosier picture, so perhaps things will actually work out for THQ?

The picture is based on overly optimistic valuations of THQ's IP's and licences. They have given Saint's Row a valuation of $120m, but that is not realistic. THQ would be lucky to get $30m if they sold it today.
Not studios, just IPs. A lot of the interest is actually in the IP itself, rather than studio related. I know one of the parties interested wishes to develop the IP they buy internally if they manage to get it.
Don't worry guys, it's not Saint's Row, Volition will follow the IP, publishers recognise the importance of Volition to the success of Saint's Row.
Absolutely right, expressing interest is a long way from an actual purchase.

I think there is value in the IPs that THQ owns directly but not the studios associated. Nowhere near the value that THQ have given them though.
None of the platform holders are interested in any of THQ's IPs as far as I know, but it's early days yet. I think Darksiders would be a good fit for either Sony or Microsoft.

Killzig

Is anyone interested in Homefront?

Only if someone buys the IP, takes the serious stick out of its ass, and makes a real Freedom Fighters type game. The game was a complete waste of time. Everyone involved in that project should be ashamed.

And I fucking love Red Dawn.

sp3000

The team would be gutted (although Relic probably already are somewhat gutted after the senior layoffs during E3) and they would be relegated to developing F2P RTS games with always online DRM and Origin exclusivity. Also, what's left of Relic might be put to use on Command & Conquer (which is to me the anti-thesis of what Relic's portfolio stands for).

I doubt they would want the IP if they were just going to do that. The fact that they are the only company even interested in Relic says something.

Now it's unclear if EA wants the IP or Relic, or both.

brumx

I'm not sure Vince would know about this kind of stuff. Likely it will go to the highest bigger. Hopefully not Konami though. Take 2 would be intetesting.

I know he is aware of what a engine is in a old EGM he was talking about how much he liked the THQ N64 engine and he went on about playing with Acclaims a little bit (said it good also LOL).

So if a company buys the IP, do they get distrobution rights to older games? For example if Warner buys Saints Row, can they re release Saints Row The Third. Just trying to figure out id I should grab Darksiders for the WiiU before they disappear.

So what does this mean for Obsidian and that south park game?

Volition and Saints Row would be a good "get" for any publisher so I'm not really worried for those guys as much as I am for the darksiders people.

remnant

Banned
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to bet:

Saints Row: Warner, Square Enix, EA, and Microsoft
Darksiders: Warner
Company of Heroes: EA (feel free to stone me, but they're one of the only publishers who is acquisitive and also shows interest in getting back in the strategy business)
SR: Yes, no, yes, no.
Darksiders: No.
I could believe Zomg is in the business or maybe know a guy, but to so blatantly talk about who is in for these Ip's is a bit much.

I could believe Zomg is in the business or maybe know a guy, but to so blatantly talk about who is in for these Ip's is a bit much.

To be fair, I did actually want to take it back, but it had been quoted so many times by then I figured it would be too much effort...

Stewox

Banned
I doubt they would want the IP if they were just going to do that. The fact that they are the only company even interested in Relic says something.

Now it's unclear if EA wants the IP or Relic, or both.

That tells you more how saturated and corporatized the industry is, emotionless, there's got to be devs that internally have respect for COH, but that doesn't get to management to feel compelled to save a quality brand, or just to take it so it doesn't get abused. There are millionares who wouldn't notice any dent at all during rescue.

Oh, apparently there is one recent, bayonetta 2, surprise, it's nintendo.

Corto

"My condolences for your loss. Couldn't help to notice the deceased shoes. Such fine shoes they are. How much for them?"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually what happens to the WWE license is one of the more interesting things here. We know it'll obviously revert to them but what will they do from there?

The obvious choice is EA but there could be some more interesting plays there.

Well, Square already owns Sleeping Dogs, so I get why they wouldn't be interested in Saints Row. Darksiders, though, is something else. I can see them wanting to have an IP which competes with both Zelda and your Devil May Crys/God of Wars.

So if a company buys the IP, do they get distrobution rights to older games? For example if Warner buys Saints Row, can they re release Saints Row The Third. Just trying to figure out id I should grab Darksiders for the WiiU before they disappear.

I would imagine distribution rights to the back catalogue would be sold separately, so no guarantees.

TheNatural

My Member!
I would imagine distribution rights to the back catalogue would be sold separately, so no guarantees.

How would that work? IP and distribution rights would almost have to be one in the same. Otherwise selling past games would be able to have the IP's name on it.

Honestly I see now point in companies even bidding over the IP's. Sure, Saints Row has sold a lot, but because that's the wacky nature of the game and the talent of the developer. Just like Sleeping Dogs didn't need the True Crime name and was maybe better for it, I think the same would apply to Volition.

Miletius

To be fair, I did actually want to take it back, but it had been quoted so many times by then I figured it would be too much effort...

Eh, I appreciate your posts. I think most people can infer that you are in finance, so where you get the information is pretty obvious, and also at the time diffuse enough that it's not easy to have it come back to you.

szaromir

Banned
Relic dieing would be one of the saddest days in the industry's short history. :( Acquisition by EA would be almost as bad. I could see Relic as a part of 2k/T2, that would seem like a good fit to me.

To my knowledge, zomg is actually in a position to know all this:

I think he works for one of the big 5 (PWC, Deloitte, Ernst&Young, KPMG, Accenture). So either the company he works for provides services for each client's finances, technologies, etc and offers them expertise and solutions, or the company he works for audit these companies. AFAIK a company can't do both (i.e. offer services AND audit them) but either way he would be able to get information on all these different firms provided he works on the commercial side and not federal, which seems to be the case.

EDIT:

I also would think Sony and MS would be interested in getting some IPs, especially Darksiders and Saint's Row. Not sure whether Nintendo would be interested in any of their IPs...

Actually what happens to the WWE license is one of the more interesting things here. We know it'll obviously revert to them but what will they do from there?

The obvious choice is EA but there could be some more interesting plays there.

All I hope is that the WWE license goes to someone who doesn't just stick with Yukes as the developer, but I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen.

Please for the love of God can someone get AKI/Syn Sophia on the phone

All I hope is that the WWE license goes to someone who doesn't just stick with Yukes as the developer, but I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen.

The problem is that Yukes is the only company that can make a decent wrestling game now. How many Fire Pro people are at Syn Sophia? The TNA game wasnt great and neither was the AAA game.

TheNatural

My Member!
The problem is that Yukes is the only company that can make a decent wrestling game now. How many Fire Pro people are at Syn Sophia? The TNA game wasnt great and neither was the AAA game.

EA can make one, that's likely where it will go next. They made an MMA team after acquiring the UFC licensing, have motion capturing experience, I'm sure they could easily assemble a team. They're the only likely candidates to be honest.

atomsk

Party Pooper

the fighting engine Syn Sophia used in the Yakuza Black Panther games was fun, and basically a wrestling engine

the fighting engine Syn Sophia used in the Yakuza Black Panther games was fun, and basically a wrestling engine

I had no idea they made that game. Sounds promising.

EA can make one, that's likely where it will go next. They made an MMA team after acquiring the UFC licensing, have motion capturing experience, I'm sure they could easily assemble a team. They're the only likely candidates to be honest.

I actually think Ea would do a good job. EA MMA was much better than the first two UFC games.

brumx

Not sure EA will take it they have so many sport games to deal with and UFC and boxing now. I could see 2K or maybe WWE buy Yukes lol. It will be a rough spot since not everyone may like Yukes.

and 1 interested party in Company of Heroes.

Nirolak said:
Company of Heroes: EA

fb6rV.gif

A fate worse than death, a studio doomed to mediocrity. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up the 40k license as well.

I don't understand why nobody has made a wrestling game with the No Mercy engine after all of these years. I know they did the first two def jam games a few years back and they were fun as hell.

Well, Square already owns Sleeping Dogs, so I get why they wouldn't be interested in Saints Row. Darksiders, though, is something else. I can see them wanting to have an IP which competes with both Zelda and your Devil May Crys/God of Wars.

With just cause, sleeping dogs and saints row, they would be basically in control of the sandbox market outside of GTA.

So, THQ Montreal with Patrice Désilets? That's now up in the air, or possibly even a stillborn project? I can't imagine any publisher wanting to even peek at that since no one knows anything about it.

Lime

What about the Warhammar: Dark Millenium game? It got turned to a singleplayer experience, but it might not get picked up either or...?

Zarx

I wonder if Crytek would buy out Homefront and get EA partners to publish it if no one else is interested in the IP. I doubt they would want to let the work go to waste. The first one shipped 2.6 million in a few months which is not far off Crysis 2 numbers.

Glass Rebel

I don't know if anybody mentioned it but Turtle Rock was working on a game for THQ as well. Wonder what'll happen to that :/

amar212

So, is the successor of my personal greatest FPS of the decade officialy dead? What happens with Metro: Last Light?

Top Bottom