• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ in default with Wells Fargo over $50 million credit facility

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

dionysus

Yaldog
PE money can't be segregated from the fate of Obsidian's at large.

Here is one scenario. Obsidian is borrowing money to make payroll on the expectation of South Park milestone payments to pay back the loans. Obsidian can't pay back loans, bank seizes all assets of Obsidian, including the kickstarter money.

I hope a scenario like this isn't going to happen, but it is naive to think that just because Obsidian wants to segregate the money for PE doesn't mean they can. Their senior debt holders have all the power if they were to go under.

I can't remember the company but I remember this happening to a few studios this generation. Publisher dies in mid development and the studio closes almost immediately because they were borrowing to make payroll against future milestone payments.

Edit. Factor 5 and Brash Entertainment is an example of this.

Almighty

Here is one scenario. Obsidian is borrowing money to make payroll on the expectation of South Park milestone payments to pay back the loans. Obsidian can't pay back loans, bank seizes all assets of Obsidian, including the kickstarter money.

I hope a scenario like this isn't going to happen, but it is naive to think that just because Obsidian wants to segregate the money for PE doesn't mean they can. Their senior debt holders have all the power if they were to go under.

I can't remember the company but I remember this happening to a few studios this generation. Publisher dies in mid development and the studio closes almost immediately because they were borrowing to make payroll against future milestone payments.

You have a point and you might be correct.

I think the assumption is that Obsidian knew about this or at least had hints before we even did. Which is why they went to the kickstarter in the first place. As their lifeboat to save some of the company. I think with some idea of this coming on the horizon and after the cancellation of Project North Carolina is why they did that kickstarter when they did.

Lime

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to bet:

Company of Heroes: EA (feel free to stone me, but they're one of the only publishers who is acquisitive and also shows interest in getting back in the strategy business)

Company of Heroes: Yes.

2wcjpc0ucohy.gif

Kill me now.

Patryn

What loans? Do we know that Obsidian currently has outstanding loans?

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to bet:

Saints Row: Warner, Square Enix, EA, and Microsoft
Darksiders: Warner
Company of Heroes: EA (feel free to stone me, but they're one of the only publishers who is acquisitive and also shows interest in getting back in the strategy business)

I'd add Nintendo to that Saints Row line; wasn't there someone that said they were pushing hard for GTA V on WiiU?
Saints Row is also just the kind of game that works as an exclusive too; which is why I guess MS might be interested - its different enough to stand out.

Don't know enough about the other publishers but wouldn't be surprised at a Sega looking at one of them.

Yeah, this is the scenario I'm talking about. It's not about whether Obsidian wants to do it, it's about whether there is a way to legally ensure Obsidian can't spend the money raised on Kickstarter for any more purpose other than to develop PE. If there is no legal way to enforce it, then we are looking at a very muddled situation.

Lime

I think Relic would work well at EA. For all the hate they get, they produce very strong PC versions of their game and are PC focused since they have an incentive with Origin. It would be a good fit rather than some other publisher that would try to put Company of Heroes on the consoles

The team would be gutted (although Relic probably already are somewhat gutted after the senior layoffs during E3) and they would be relegated to developing F2P RTS games with always online DRM and Origin exclusivity. Also, what's left of Relic might be put to use on Command & Conquer (which is to me the anti-thesis of what Relic's portfolio stands for).

You know what, we might even get a Homeworld 3 since THQ has just been sitting on that IP

They'd need to buy the IP from THQ, not Relic. What would EA's incentive to do that be?

roddur

I'd add Nintendo to that Saints Row line; wasn't there someone that said they were pushing hard for GTA V on WiiU?
Saints Row is also just the kind of game that works as an exclusive too; which is why I guess MS might be interested - its different enough to stand out.

Don't know enough about the other publishers but wouldn't be surprised at a Sega looking at one of them.

i might be wrong, but doesn't nintendo like to supervise their projects? and SR is something that is not nintendo's cup of tea. you may say they are publishing Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden, but the developers are japanese, so may be it's easy for them communicate with the developers. For SR how/what they are going to communicate.

Lime

Giant dildos don't seem to gel with the Nintendo PR image.

Almighty

Sega(based on how Creative Assembly is doing) or even better Square-Enix(based on how they are handling Eidos) would be nice if they got Company of Heroes/Relic, but I have my doubts about Sega picking up any of the IPs.

Aren't they more or less licking their wounds after a really bad year(s)? I don't know much about their financials, but last I heard they were cutting down quite a bit and going to stick to four or so series(Total War and Football Manager were two don't remember the others) so I doubt they are in a buying mood.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

None of the first parties are interested:

None of the platform holders are interested in any of THQ's IPs as far as I know, but it's early days yet. I think Darksiders would be a good fit for either Sony or Microsoft.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega(based on how Creative Assembly is doing) or even better Square-Enix(based on how they are handling Eidos) would be nice if they got Company of Heroes/Relic, but I have my doubts about Sega picking up any of the IPs.

Aren't they more or less licking their wounds after a really bad year(s)? I don't know much about their financials, but last I heard they were cutting down quite a bit and going to stick to four or so series(Total War and Football Manager were two don't remember the others) so I doubt they are in a buying mood.
Apparently EA is the only publisher that has expressed interest in Company of Heroes, despite enough publishers looking that "at least four" are looking at Saints Row, so I probably wouldn't hold my breath for other publishers there.

Yep; they've had to massively sort themselves out but based on people looking to expand, a company whose just cut back pretty aggressively 'might' bite at something already successful. Sega especially could just do with a new IP.

Not to say they would. But with everyone else it just feels too random to really put forward any gossipy suggestions :p
Speed-Edit: I was more thinking Saints for them btw; its a good development house and strong IP.

Almighty

Apparently EA is the only publisher that has expressed interest in Company of Heroes, despite enough publishers looking that "at least four" are looking at Saints Row, so I probably wouldn't hold my breath for other publishers there.

Yeah it seems that if Company of Heroes gets picked up it will be EA sadly. Hopefully that changes, but then again if Relic doesn't go with it I don't really care in all honesty.

Though besides it being my slim hope I was saying(though I could of worded it better. So it didn't look like I was just talking about CoH) I have my doubts about Sega picking up anything from THQ's carcass.

Sega are not going to buy any game properties, they are closer to shutting down their game division than buying new properties!

Almighty

Sega are not going to buy any game properties, they are closer to shutting down their game division than buying new properties!

I hope that doesn't happen or if it does Creative Assembly/Total War is bought by someone else first.

Because if on top of Relic going down with THQ, CA going down with Sega would be the worse combination ever for me as an RTS fan. The only thing I can think of that would be worse for me as a gamer is if on top of that Obsidian gets dragged down with THQ now as well.

I hope that doesn't happen or if it does Creative Assembly/Total War is bought by someone else first.

Because if on top of Relic going down with THQ, CA going down with Sega would be the worse combination ever for me as an RTS fan. The only thing I can think of that would be worse for me as a gamer is if on top of that Obsidian gets dragged down with THQ now as well.

I expect Sega will just sell their game unit in its totality rather than shut it down, but right now the company makes money with Pachinko machines.

I expect Sega will just sell their game unit in its totality rather than shut it down, but right now the company makes money with Pachinko machines.

Wouldn't Sammy just sell Sega in the first place? Are they using the IP for the Pachinko machines?

Any Japanese publishers interested in anything from THQ? I would think Capcom, SE or Namco at least.

Wouldn't Sammy just sell Sega in the first place? Are they using the IP for the Pachinko machines?

Any Japanese publishers interested in anything from THQ? I would think Capcom, SE or Namco at least.

I will have to find out, but I know of just one interested Japanese publisher interested.

witness

Oh no if EA gets CoH then it's going to be the the RTS off shoot of Battlefield. I can see it now; Frostbite 2 and modern day. Battlefield: CoH, fall 2014.

Zarx

So are there any minnows swimming with the circling sharks around THQ looking for scraps? Or is it just major players like EA etc?

Also considering how acquisition happy Bethesda has been, I imagine they must be sniffing around. They haven't had much luck with with original IP, except for Dishonored, even RAGE didn't do well. So I would think they would jump at the chance of picking up some established IPs to add to their stable.

grendelrt

Namco has already dealt with Games Workshop for the Warhammer license. Maybe they could pick up Relic and work on the Warhammer 40K license. I would prefer Square Enix get relic though honestly, they have been pretty good this gen on PC.

AHA-Lambda

How do we know this? Sorry I must have missed something.

I could see Square Enix and Warner Bros being the most likely candidates for IP shopping. I don't think anyone will pick up Darksiders though.

Eusis

If Square Enix goes in their Japanese side of things will probably suffer even more.
It's kind of why I'd only want them to get the South Park RPG: they'd just finishing financing it and that's that. Plus technically it'd at least be another Square Enix RPG, and I honestly do wonder if Obsidian was on better terms with SE versus other companies, given their game wasn't a rushed trainwreck. Just a very bland one, but I guess Matt Stone and Trey Parker would counter that better than the Gas Powered people.

Stock is at $1.00

God I remember when this company was so hot. What was that game oh yeah

Full Spectrum Warrior. I was hot for THQ during this time.

How do we know this? Sorry I must have missed something.

zomgbbqftw said so. Personally if I was spreading this news outside of GAF I'd be sticking rumour alerts all around the article since it's little more than "he said, she said" at the moment (although the person saying it has a bit more knowledge of the situation and business in general than most of us).

Eusis

Take 2 and Konami are the only other publishers doing sports stuff that could afford the license. That I can think of anyway
Well, Konami had the luchador game, so they're somewhat predisposed to getting that I guess.

Pooya

Why some are suggesting WB would be interested in CoH? They are not invested in PC-only business (other than LOTRO), they make console games which happen to have PC version. Not sure why they'd invest in a PC-only RTS series and RTS just doesn't work or sell on console. EA has far more reasons to invest in RTS or PC.

Mooreberg

It seems like they jig is up if they cannot even get the next slate of games out on time. Were they really banking that much on Darksiders II?

brumx

For wrestling games Vince would probably need to see a new engine from one of the companys first before he made a decision on who gets the WWE games first. It will be a long process unless someone goes with AKI or Yukes again

i think I remember on some Playstation underground disc back in 1997-98 they had an interview with Jason Rubin about the Crash bandicoot games.
He sped off in a Ferrari. I wanted to be that guy.

For wrestling games Vince would probably need to see a new engine from one of the companys first before he made a decision on who gets the WWE games first. It will be a long process unless someone goes with AKI or Yukes again

I'm not sure Vince would know about this kind of stuff. Likely it will go to the highest bigger. Hopefully not Konami though. Take 2 would be intetesting.

Vamphuntr

So what is the more likely to happen? They go bankrupt and Wells Fargo sell all of THQassets to get their money back or does THQ does have enough assets to sell to get rid of its debt?

I skimmed the thread and I think someone with a good source said they had 50 million worth of assets?

Stewox

Banned
Jason Rubin :(

This is karma for firing all those people at Relic and Vigil during E3.

EDIT: Oh shit, this means that Warhammer 40K Dark Millenium is probably done for.

Quit crying guys, jason is more good than it is percieved right now. Cancelled doesnt mean they threw all the research and code away, it may just be onhold, and work reused for a future title with a possibly different name

Top Bottom