• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

If that's true then why did Sega dramatically downsize; kill all of their european branches and say they're only going to release retail games for four franchises?
Somebody already explained that, but I will just add one thing: they didn't kill all their european studios, they left Sports Interactive and Creative Assembly intact. Heck..the second of those is expanding like crazy. So it seems pc market has been very good for Sega, so it makes sense they want to buy Relic.

patapuf

Did Sega really get Relic or is it rumored? I'm wondering why they would pick them up when they're going Digital only and where did Sega get the money to buy off a studio and their ips?

Relic is mainly a PC dev so it fits pretty well with digital only. Also, Sega's PC francises (european devs btw.) have been making good money with total War and Football manager.

Linkhero1

Relic is mainly a PC dev so it fits pretty well with digital only. Also, Sega's PC francises (european devs btw.) have been making good money with total War and Football manager.

Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. I can see them benefiting a lot from this pickup then.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Because most of Sega's money comes from the Sammy division not the games division, so yeah many of Sega's games were disappointments and they cut back dramatically on AAA releases leaving only the viable ones. The Relic buyout would help flesh out their current strategy portfolio and does seem a good fit for them even it unexpected.

Somebody already explained that, but I will just add one thing: they didn't kill all their european studios, they left Sports Interactive and Creative Assembly intact. Heck..the second of those is expanding like crazy. So it seems pc market has been very good for Sega, so it makes sense they want to buy Relic.

Ah okay. Thanks for the elaboration. Perhaps Sega's in a more secure position than I thought. It's reassuring actually after having read so many doom and gloom stories regarding Sega and how they may not even be here by 2015. If they're buying studios like Relic and expanding then evidently they're in a stable and secure position. Perhaps the Sammy merger was a good thing after all. It may be the reason Sega still exists and will continue to exist. I was really against it at the time; hoping they would merge with Namco instead. It's nice to read though. Sega buying a studio.

Better than the apocalyptic stories I read when they downsized.

Glass Rebel

SEGA wouldn't shy away from retail PC releases though. Total War and Football Manager are still sold at retail in Europe, where PC is a much more relevant platform than in the US.

Hell, I'd wager that SEGA is the best fit for Relic, I just wonder whether they're going for the Company of Heroes franchise as well.

KPJZKC

I fucking hate Creative Assembly, Jesus. The last thing I want is seeing them owning more IPs. Great ideas behind the games, fun and everything, but if I have to sit through another one of their fucking loading screens I don't know what I'll do.

guit3457

I fucking hate Creative Assembly, Jesus. The last thing I want is seeing them owning more IPs. Great ideas behind the games, fun and everything, but if I have to sit through another one of their fucking loading screens I don't know what I'll do.

You hate a studio because the loadind screens of their amazing games....sounds really smart. Congrats.

Dueck

Banned
My only wish for this whole thing was Darksiders to not end up in the hands of Activision. I am hoping it turns out to not be asking too much...

HT UK

Even though the PC version of South Park was due the same day as the console versions...if Ubisoft are now publishing it, it'll suddenly be delayed by at least 1 month for "optimisation"

Glass Rebel

My only wish for this whole thing was Darksiders to not end up in the hands of Activision. I am hoping it turns out to not be asking too much...

We've talked about this before in THQ threads, basically Activision isn't interested in a franchise that can barely sell 1-2 million copies. Their interest starts and ends at Saints Row but from what we've heard they aren't in the running. Darksiders is safe from them.

SparkTR

Time to invest in an SSD.

PaulLFC

So from rumours so far, as far as we know up to now it's still:

Relic - Sega
South Park - Ubisoft
Saints Row - Koch Media

Right?

We've talked about this before in THQ threads, basically Activision isn't interested in a franchise that can barely sell 1-2 million copies. Their interest starts and ends at Saints Row but from what we've heard they aren't in the running. Darksiders is safe from them.
I'd hope everything is safe from them. Them and EA.

water1111

Banned
Hopefully the Titan Quest license goes to the people who are now making Grim Dawn (the developers consist of the people from Iron Lore).

demolitio

Pretty much the main reason I got an SSD. Total War games and Planetside 2. :p

Who would've thought a generation ago that we'd be wishing SEGA picked up a developer, let alone a PC one. It's amazing how much just two series have done for SEGA and their views on PC gaming.

Celine

If that's true then why did Sega dramatically downsize; kill all of their european branches and say they're only going to release retail games for four franchises? Does it have something to do with the idea that only Sega of America is in trouble; whilst the mothership over in Japan (as in Sega Sammy Holdings) is financially secure?

If you could elaborate I'd appreciate it.
Pachinko business is what bring the money at Sega Sammy.
Consumer Business (videogames and some other stuff) was overall in the red in the last 7 years for more than $200M.

IP buyouts to expand their scope.
Nintendo doesn't need THQ IPs to expand their scope.

KPJZKC

You hate a studio because the loadind screens of their amazing games....sounds really smart. Congrats.

I hate the studio because obviously they're doing something wrong in the engine. The maps are neither
a) particularly large
b) particularly great looking
But still take a ridiculous amount of time to load even minor skirmishes.
For reference I've bought every total war since Rome (still the best) but have enjoyed them less and less with each new iteration, for stuff like this.

Very, very true, checked it out on a friends computer with an SSD and it was indeed much faster.

PaulLFC

I hate the studio because obviously they're doing something wrong in the engine. The maps are neither
a) particularly large
For reference I've bought every total war since Rome (still the best) but have enjoyed them less and less with each new iteration, for stuff like this.

Very, very true, checked it out on a friends computer with an SSD and it was indeed much faster.
I wouldn't say I hate them, but the load times are ridiculous. I started up Shogun 2 a couple of months ago and it took that long to show the main menu that I assumed it'd crashed. I haven't played it since.

TaroYamada

Pretty much the main reason I got an SSD. Total War games and Planetside 2. :p

Who would've thought a generation ago that we'd be wishing SEGA picked up a developer, let alone a PC one. It's amazing how much just two series have done for SEGA and their views on PC gaming.

As I mentioned earlier, SEGA's been doing PC stuff for quite a while. It's one of the very reasons they ever purchased Creative Assembly. They knew the market was valuable and would continue to be in the future.

I wouldn't say I hate them, but the load times are ridiculous. I started up Shogun 2 a couple of months ago and it took that long to show the main menu that I assumed it'd crashed. I haven't played it since.

I find using DX 9 significantly decreases load times and I'm one of those people who usually cannot see a big difference between dx 9 vs. dx 10/11. You could try that out? I just checked the forums, using DX 9 cuts some peoples load times in half. I'd suggest that.

KPJZKC

Alright, so maybe I don't hate them, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. Jumped into Shogun II pretty hyped and with an hour of those load times I'd lost all motivation to play it.

Ehh, I wouldn't look too far into it:

Peters spent just over two years with Relic. Prior to that he was executive producer at Propaganda Games. He also spent nine years working for EA and DICE.

The company has been around for sixteen years, and he has only been there for two of them. It just seems like another getting off point for him.

Nintendo doesn't need THQ IPs to expand their scope.

But but.... they could've turned UDraw into the next Mario Paint :p

trinest

With Udraw, if Nintendo bought it, I see it as a protecting their IP sort of thing, like making sure people are not confused with it and the Wii U pad etc.

PaulLFC

7I find using DX 9 significantly decreases load times and I'm one of those people who usually cannot see a big difference between dx 9 vs. dx 10/11. You could try that out? I just checked the forums, using DX 9 cuts some peoples load times in half. I'd suggest that.
Thanks, I'll try that next time I play it then!

Why People want Nintendo to waste their money on something ridiculous as U draw.

That money is better spent on their games or salvaging awesome projects like Bayo 2.

Wiktor

a) particularly large
I doubt they're doing anything bad. King Arthur is similiar in this area. Those games simply have to load up tons of stuff upfront. With Total War the units have gotten increasigly varied in each entry of the franchise, so there's really a lot to load.

wrowa

With Udraw, if Nintendo bought it, I see it as a protecting their IP sort of thing, like making sure people are not confused with it and the Wii U pad etc.
uDraw on Wii started very good, but fell quickly off a cliff. uDraw PS360 flopped out of the gate.

I don't think Nintendo has to worry that anyone would bring a new uDraw to the market. It's a worthless IP.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/63674/thq-verkauf-sega-kauft-relic-koch-evolve-crytek-homefront

German website reports that:
a) Sega buys Relic and Company of Heroes: 26 Mio. $
b) Koch Media buys Evolve: 5,2 Mio. $
c) Crytek buys Homefront: 500.000 $

Volition, Vigil, Metro: Last Light and some Warhammer 40k Licences not sold yet.

Crytek buying the Homefront licence doesn't make much sense on the face of it, but at that price, they might as well have bought it, even if they only develop Homefront 2.

Glass Rebel

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/63674/thq-verkauf-sega-kauft-relic-koch-evolve-crytek-homefront

German website reports that:
a) Sega buys Relic and Company of Heroes: 26 Mio. $
b) Koch Media buys Evolve: 5,2 Mio. $
c) Crytek buys Homefront: 500.000 $

Volition, Vigil, Metro: Last Light and some Warhammer 40k Licences not sold yet.

I've learned to be critical of "vertrauliche Quellen" but I'd have 0 complaints if this was true. The WH40k thing is a bit weird though, I somehow doubt it'd be sold at a THQ auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom