• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
That was my first response. The budget for the original game was rumored to be between 35-50m...and now the IP sells for 500k.

This in itself perfectly sums up THQ and how they got into such a sorry state.

I bought the game for the PS3 for just a couple of quid and it was awful. Just awful.

TaroYamada

Homefront sold ~3 million there is something that happened there that allowed Crytek to pay 500k, no franchise regardless of how shitty, that sold that much would go for so little.

They probably owed Crytek money and had to sell the IP at a reduced price to them or something.

Could be. 500k would be ridiculous otherwise.

BTW: Does anyone know if THQ still has the Destroy All Humans rights?

Yes, they do.

Pooya

those numbers are obviously BS :p

I'd hope Turtle Rock ends up with some one much better than Koch Media, they are not just some no name studio, this IP could be pretty big...

GavinGT

Banned
Homefront underwhelmed critics, underperformed at retail, and required a heavy marketing push to sell what it did. I can't imagine the name holds much cache. $500,000 sounds like a fair price.

Longshot

Macca

Homefront underwhelmed critics, underperformed at retail, and required a heavy marketing push to sell what it did. I can't imagine the name holds much cache. $500,000 sounds like a fair price.
For the IP, sure. But for the work that's already been done, seems like a steal.

Haunted

I hope the Warhammer 40k license goes to someone who really wants to do something with it and doesn't just default or go back to the vault or whatever.

Absolutely adore that universe.

PaulLFC

I hope the Warhammer 40k license goes to someone who really wants to do something with it and doesn't just default or go back to the vault or whatever.

I'm sure if nobody bought it and Sega have indeed bought Relic then they'd come to some sort of agreement for it.

Erethian

I find it kind of unlikely that THQ would be even be able to sell their 40k license agreement with Games Workshop, which is what makes me question that article. GW is known for having pretty strict licensing agreements, from what I remember.

f0rk

I find it kind of unlikely that THQ would be even be able to sell their 40k license agreement with Games Workshop, which is what makes me question that article. GW is known for having pretty strict licensing agreements, from what I remember.

Yeah I was going to post this. GW wouldn't let the license go to someone else like this, they have most likely taken it back to sell on to someone else. Hopefully Sega given they already just got the fantasy side and if they buy Relic I can't imagine GW being upset with having more Relic games.
Although the Relic to Sega rumour is almost too perfect. I was hoping that would happen and it seems like the kind of thing a random German could make up.

Erethian

Yeah I was going to post this. GW wouldn't let the license go to someone else like this, they have most likely taken it back to sell on to someone else. Hopefully Sega given they already just got the fantasy side and if they buy Relic I can't imagine GW being upset with having more Relic games.
Although the Relic to Sega rumour is almost too perfect. I was hoping that would happen and it seems like the kind of thing a random German could make up.

Sega was known to be the highest bidder for Relic as of yesterday (US time), so it's not a rumour, per se.

Yeah I was thinking the same. As far as I can see Relic have done a good job with the WH40k games. I'd think GW would want to keep dealing with them rather than risk partnering with someone they don't know.

DaBoss

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/63674/thq-verkauf-sega-kauft-relic-koch-evolve-crytek-homefront

German website reports that:
a) Sega buys Relic and Company of Heroes: 26 Mio. $
b) Koch Media buys Evolve: 5,2 Mio. $
c) Crytek buys Homefront: 500.000 $

Volition, Vigil, Metro: Last Light and some Warhammer 40k Licences not sold yet.

When was Homefront 2 supposed to be released? They may have bought it due to it being in development for a long time and not wanting it to go to waste?

JustinBB7

So far so good, though I might have bought Homefront 2 at a low price, but Crytek is fully under EA/Origin control now right? So I guess I'll miss that one then.

ugoo18

Seriously though, I can TOTALLY see them buying Vigil Games. Especially since Vigil is literally in the same town as Retro Studios.

lol Bayonetta 2 reaction for Darksiders incoming?

EDIT: What are the relations between Nintendo and Vigil like anyway?

No point in buying them if it causes or will cause a mass exodus because they don't want to be under Nintendo.

PaulLFC

Seriously though, I can TOTALLY see them buying Vigil Games. Especially since Vigil is literally in the same town as Retro Studios.
I hope not. Don't want any of the games going exclusive, I (currently) have no plans to buy a Wii U but would want to play a possible Darksiders 3.

Glass Rebel

Again with the Nintendo talk.

There is literally zero indication that Nintendo is bidding or even remotely interested. Fanboy dreams and Nintendo Direct timing won't change that.

ugoo18

If we must play this game I could see Nintendo walking away with the Drawn to Life and de Blob IPs.

Don't really see why they would pick up De Blob, they already have an ample supply of better platformers. Just seems like something that would end up in Ninty's IP vault.

Erethian

lol Bayonetta 2 reaction for Darksiders incoming?

EDIT: What are the relations between Nintendo and Vigil like anyway?

No point in buying them if it causes or will cause a mass exodus because they don't want to be under Nintendo.

Retro has already hired a number of ex-Vigil staff, like the lead character artist on the first Darksiders.

ugoo18

Again with the Nintendo talk.

There is literally zero indication that Nintendo is bidding or even remotely interested. Fanboy dreams and Nintendo Direct timing won't change that.

J855y8Z.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom