• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Behind the scenes of 'Marvel's Inhumans'

Link.

Sources tell THR that the eight-episode series was produced over three months in Hawaii and underwent a number of reshoots. Among them was an estimated $100,000 to fix the visual effects for the wig worn by Swan's Medusa, who has the ability to move and control her hair the way most people use their hands and fingers. (Feature director Roel Reine, who helmed both Imax episodes, noted that the first trailer for Inhumans may have been released too early, as it featured unfinished VFX, including Medusa's hair.) Meanwhile, some insiders say Lockjaw eventually disappears from the story because the production couldn't afford the continued cost to deliver the huge canine.

The Imax debut doesn't exactly offer a promising linear debut for the Inhumans when it premieres Sept. 29 on ABC as part of the network's new Friday lineup. (Marvel veteran Agents of SHIELD will move from its Tuesday home and take over the Friday 8 p.m. slot once Inhumans wraps its run.)

As for Inhumans' ABC debut, the first two episodes will be expanded and feature an 84-minute run time as a way to offer something new for diehard Marvel fans who saw it in theaters. Sources note that Imax paid to produce the first two episodes of Inhumans, which likely offset at least some of the costs.

Inhumans will launch with low expectations given its home on Fridays, though ABC is optimistic that loyal Marvel viewers will make the freshman drama a DVR hit the way Agents of SHIELD has remained a sturdy performer when factoring in delayed viewing. Agents of SHIELD, which like Inhumans is produced by Marvel and ABC Studios, underwent budget cuts and a licensing fee reduction in a bid to reduce costs. Season four averaged a 1.7 among adults 18-49 with seven days of DVR and 4.6 million total viewers.

"Marvel understands just as well as we do how loyal that SHIELD and the Marvel audience is," says Andy Kubitz, executive vp program planning and scheduling at ABC. "For the ability to move a show from one day to another, we have more confidence that that core audience — those very faithful watchers of Marvel product — will travel with it. The great thing about Friday night for these shows is it gives three days of downtime for a lot of these younger viewers to be able to catch up on it. You've got Saturday and Sunday viewing that will be able to be counted into our C3 to help us monetize it."

More at the link.

mreddie

Meanwhile, some insiders say Lockjaw eventually disappears from the story because the production couldn't afford the continued cost to deliver the huge canine.

KNEW IT.

Fuck this show.

Meanwhile, some insiders say Lockjaw eventually disappears from the story because the production couldn't afford the continued cost to deliver the huge canine.

So, Medusa immediately gets head shaved and Lockjaw vanishes.

Can people just avoid this crap to send a message?

The worst thing that can happen is that people watch it to see how Bad it is and ends up being a ratings success.

This, resulting in more Scott Buck horror.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Honestly, I don't even know if Scott Buck is the problem anymore. They hire him because he keeps the cost down and does it quickly. Iron Fist was the red headed stepchild project that nobody wanted. Inhumans was downgraded from a feature film. Then I look at something like The Defenders (which has a totally different showrunner) and see another production struggling under their budget. Really feels like they're just rushing unpolished scripts to the screen and working with almost no money.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can people just avoid this crap to send a message?

The worst thing that can happen is that people watch it to see how Bad it is and ends up being a ratings success.

This, resulting in more Scott Buck horror.

This is the first MCU thing I'm skipping. (I haven't seen the latest Spider-Man yet, but I fully intend to.)

After Iron Fist and what I've heard about this, I'm never watching any Scott Buck bullshit ever again.

Wake me when Cloak and Dagger hits, because I guarantee that ABC Family show is going to be better than this garbage.

Maybe it will pull a aos and get ok in 3 seasons. Let's give it a shot.

Agents of SHIELD was never as bad as Iron Fist. No.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Honestly, I don't even know if Scott Buck is the problem anymore. They hire him because he keeps the cost down and does it quickly. Iron Fist was the red headed stepchild project that nobody wanted. Inhumans was downgraded from a feature film. Then I look at something like The Defenders (which has a totally different showrunner) and see another production struggling under their budget. Really feels like they're just rushing unpolished scripts to the screen and working with almost no money.

The real problem is they're embarrassed to make comic book shows.

AOS works because it's essentially a secret agent procedural. Everything else just wants to be overly serious even when dealing with fantastical shit. It works for JJ because that's what the comic was, a film noir superhero take. But Iron Fist is ninjas and shit but with no enthusiasm.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Poor GhostLockjaw.

Taramoor

Scott Buck in a nutshell.

Buck: What do people like about Dexter?
Poll: The family dynamics and Dexter having to hide his true self. Rooting for him while secretly knowing he has to face justice eventually.
Buck: Okay, let's make his sister want to fuck him, have him kill everybody he knows, and then get away with everything.

Buck: What do people like about Iron Fist?
Marvel: Over the top Kung Fu and Magic.
Buck: Okay, let's make a low rent Arrow ripoff with a bunch of faux corporate intrigue and very few fight scenes.

Buck: What are Inhumans?
Marvel: A conclave of super-powered, alien-looking non-mutants that live on the moon. There's a royal family with a Queen with magical hair and a giant teleporting dog.
Buck: Okay, first shave the woman and kill the dog. Also, no powers. And they all look just like humans, and nix the Moon, set the whole thing on Earth.

ike perlmutter

Perlmutter's penny pinching measures are legendary.

Marvel buildings only had one mens bathroom and one womens bathroom which had writers and artists constantly waiting in line to take a dump. Ike would literally record how many sodas were being drank from a craft services table and would, instead of using post it notes, rip looseleaf paper into squares.

No shit that anything he touches television wise is going to be a cheap looking shitfest.

Kin5290

Is Kevin Feige seriously the only halfway competent executive at Marvel these days? Jesus.

I understand that Iron Fist needed to be fast tracked to accommodate Defenders, but what exactly was forcing Marvel TV to rush Inhumans so quickly?

Is Kevin Feige seriously the only halfway competent executive at Marvel these days? Jesus.

I understand that Iron Fist needed to be fast tracked to accommodate Defenders, but what exactly was forcing Marvel TV to rush Inhumans so quickly?

I honestly want to know who we can thank for Agents of SHIELD Season 4. Who came up with it because there's no way it was Loeb.

kurahador

I hope this trainwreck make Disney's Bob Iger sought Feige to oversee all MCU output from now on.
Because all these bad press is just embarrassing.

I'm starting to give Kevin Feige a ton of credit now after how these other departments are handing their properties...

If they didn't wanna spend money on this show, should've just called this "The Humans" and revolve it around normal, human characters with absolutely NO powers.

Effect

That's like doing the Flash and then in episode two making it so the Flash can't actually run fast anymore. WTF!? What's the point of even bothering to include Medusa? Seems like such a waste of everyone's time. If they weren't going to give it the budget to do this why even bother in the first place? They should have just brought back Agent Carter or done something else that didn't require a lot or any special effects. Fox's The Gifted is likely going to walk all over this.

ev0

Perlmutter's penny pinching measures are legendary.

Marvel buildings only had one mens bathroom and one womens bathroom which had writers and artists constantly waiting in line to take a dump. Ike would literally record how many sodas were being drank from a craft services table and would, instead of using post it notes, rip looseleaf paper into squares.

No shit that anything he touches television wise is going to be a cheap looking shitfest.

Seriously. Buck obviously sucks, but its clearer hes a result of the problem. After seeing Defenders and how low budget it was, I saw Ike being cheap all over again (still enjoyed some parts of Defenders though).

Didnt many pitches for Iron Fist get turned down b/c they'd be too expensive? No wonder they went with corporate boardroom drama version.

I seriously wonder what the Marvel movies would look like now had Feige not escaped Ike's grasp.

Kin5290

Seriously. Buck obviously sucks, but its clearer hes a result of the problem. After seeing Defenders and how low budget it was, I saw Ike being cheap all over again (still enjoyed some parts of Defenders though).

Didnt many pitches for Iron Fist get turned down b/c they'd be too expensive? No wonder they went with corporate boardroom drama version.

I seriously wonder what the Marvel movies would look like now had Feige not escaped Ike's grasp.
Apparently it would have involved Civil War without Iron Man or most of the Avengers, god knows how that would have worked.

I can't even laugh at this show, I just feel bad.

I know actual babies that took longer to fully conceive than this show.

By the way, in the scene where Medusa gets shaved, I'm pretty sure they never actually cut the wig itself - Maximus kind of awkwardly stands behind her snipping at air, then there's a close up of Medusa's face as they drizzle some shaved hair in front of her, then she's bald.

They couldn't even afford to cut the garbage wig that they were scrapping for the rest of the show.

SeppOCE

Poll: The family dynamics and Dexter having to hide his true self. Rooting for him while secretly knowing he has to face justice eventually.
Buck: Okay, let's make his sister want to fuck him, have him kill everybody he knows, and then get away with everything.

Can't argue with anything else but on paper these aren't bad ideas. It was everything surrounding these ideas that was complete horse shit.

And the weirdest part about the bolded is that, IIRC, those two were divorcing/divorced when that story line was happening

Donos

So it's clear now that Feige made a pact with the Devil, involving continued sucess for the MCU Movies while the series have to balance that out...

Top Bottom