• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Impressive Draw Distance

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
yeah RDR was crazy. i can't understand how they even got it running without slowing down to 10fps or something... sometimes there's a TON of detail on screen (cactuses all over, well animated animals, houses, fairly complex terrain, beautiful dynamic skybox etc) and yet you can see for miles in every direction and it runs pretty smoothly, AND it's using Euphoria physics which i imagine is more demanding than the average physics engines in most other games (Havoc or whatever).

really damn impressive game technically.

All that plus you can be in it with 15 other people with no (to my eyes at least) descernible drop in quality. Easily my game of the generation.

Coreda

i9ogHZ3w4G9s3.gif

Do I have to use Google Image Search? Killzone: Shadow Fall I see.

AC1 made me say wow at the beginning of the generation. JC2 and Skyrim latterly, moreso because you can actually travel to what you see.

Rashid

Banned
Runescape 3!

er_photo_191086_52.jpg

In the current game you wouldn't be able to see past the character on the left in green. Now you can literally see from city to city in some cases.

i'm a bit confused what the OT is looking for, when I think impressive draw distance, i think of stuff where there is barely any pop in. I walk in 1 direction, shit won't just pop in, or isn't obvious.

Can't really think of many console games that do that these days though. You'd also need a pretty beast cpu on pc to handle that too... hmmm

man... i do hope next gen systems will afford scifi games to have planetary re-entry sequences, like in that battlefront 3 leaked footage, or even in your typical sp campaign.

planetary re-entry is like the coolest shit ever.

Chev

Outerra's the winner of course, or any game that uses planetary scale rendering (Space Engine, KSP). Pop-in is the kinda easy part technically, the big technical hurdle is limited z-buffer precision, though stuff like logarithmic z-buffers makes planetary draw distances trivial.

Bikram

How can you HD remake a HD game? You mean you would like PC port?

It was a sub-HD game across both consoles. PC port would be best but R* is clearly not going to do it. RDR at 1080p, locked 30/60 fps with good AA should be orgasmic.

Back to topic, Skyrim maxed out on PC and Forza Horizon on consoles come to my mind.

faridmon

Why are we posting games that haven't been released yet? Draw distance is impressive when you play said games...

My answer is Xenoblade. Damn, you could see miles ahead which will be, at one point, you running within.

Impressive game done with such hardware, can't wait for their Next-gen version of it.

ScOULaris

The first Jak & Daxter had ridiculous draw distance, especially for its time. From some of the highest points, you could see clear across the entire world.

butman

One thing is "explorable" draw distances and other very different is "beautiful mountains i will never reach"

What are we talking about?

Sober

Is this in game? How does one do that?

EDIT: Oh, is it Minecraft? Ok that makes more sense.
In game I believe you have to turn up the draw distance settings way past what the sliders allow.

That is also probably WoW and not a recreation in MineCraft because I don't think you can recreate that glowing effect for that Mt. Hyjal raid down in the bottom there.

Jubern

Another vote for Xenoblade. You get some mind blowing vistas thanks to the draw distance. I was very impressed by the scale of it all considering the hardware.

Came to post Fuel, glad someone beat me to it.

And WoW's draw distance is pretty mediocre. It used to be really bad but they've updated it in recent years.

I always wondered whether Fuel is really as shitty as all the reviewers were saying. The idea itself intrigues me and I think I could forgive a few flaws.

It's an average racing game but it's huge world is very impressive. It still looks pretty good on PC and for only $10 on Steam, I'd recommend it. I'd play it while I listened to podcasts or music and just roam around exploring, I put nearly 130 hours into it back when it was my go-to game for that sort of thing.

rjc571

Banned
I always wondered whether Fuel is really as shitty as all the reviewers were saying. The idea itself intrigues me and I think I could forgive a few flaws.

It's my favorite racing game this generation. To be honest, every complaint I've read about the game's racing engine has been completely full of shit. The vehicle handling is extremely solid (depending on what type of vehicle you're using and what terrain you're driving on, of course), the racing events don't all feel the same and actually have quite a bit of variety, and I never encountered the AI slowing down at the end of a race to let me win (maybe this only happens on easy difficulty?) I probably spent over 100 hours just driving around the map and taking in the game's atmosphere, in addition to the time it took me to clear all of the racing events.

daveo42

Banned
Probably not the best by any stretch, but FFXIV: ARR has some really really good draw distances and you could travel to most of the place you could see.

Top Bottom