• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods 14 not likely for Wii U

Nintendo should just make a sports division. And I mean serious sports, not Mario games (although I love those).

This.

They did it in the NES era and was actually successful. The only problem is that Nintendo will have a hard time to create an audience for this in it's system and will need very strong advertise to attract it.

Nintendo should actually make studios to directly compete against the developers who shows Nintendo their middle finger like Kojima, Bethesda, EA, Rockstar and Epic Games. This would create terrain for this audience and not rely on developers that are not interested in working with Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I feel I should note that EA openly said they were working on Gen 4 versions of FIFA and Madden as early as their E3 Investor Breakfast back in June 2012, so it seems they've been diverting resources to work on this for a while now, implying this decision was made quite a while ago to boot.

Exactly. The Wii U's disappointing launch is giving companies cover- but 99% of the time, I think those decisions were made a year or two ago.

Nintendo was never in their "next gen" plans.

EDarkness

This has got to stop. VG Chartz numbers are not acceptable for use here.

Please see "Banned Sites, Inappropriate Posts, and Memes" in the FAQ forum:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427771

People who don't post on NeoGAF don't know that. It's a huge site and it's easy for people to not know. I personally don't go there, but I can understand how people outside or even new to GAF don't know or understand why they're not good.

Exactly. The Wii U's disappointing launch is giving companies cover- but 99% of the time, I think those decisions were made a year or two ago.

Justifiably.

Because even though the Wii has an overall software tie ratio of only about 1-2 games less than the PS3 or 360; I imagine that the third party software tie ratio was much lower.

I wonder if JVM or others could provide any such number.

Damn, that's bad news if true. I see some people saying that the console will sell through Nintendo fans, and while there's obviously some truth to that, no EA sports games(just being hypothetical) would doom the console.

IF this is true(and other EA sports games follow suit), Nintendo needs to drop the Wii U Pokemon megaton at E3 this year. If EA stopped supporting the system I see no reason Activision wouldn't do the same with CoD in a classic "Well, he's not going, so...." scenario.

Sans Tiger, what's the next big EA sports game? Madden, right? Any news on that?

schuelma

Justifiably.

Because even though the Wii has an overall software tie ratio of only about 1 game less than the PS3 or 360; I imagine that the third party software tie ratio was much lower.

Well, its a cycle that Nintendo is apparently never going to be able to escape.

Mileena

Banned
Damn, that's bad news if true. I see some people saying that the console will sell through Nintendo fans, and while there's obviously some truth to that, no EA sports games(just being hypothetical) would doom the console.

IF this is true(and other EA sports games follow suit), Nintendo needs to drop the Wii U Pokemon megaton at E3 this year. If EA stopped supporting the system I see no reason Activision wouldn't do the same with CoD in a classic "Well, he's not going, so...." scenario.

Sans Tiger, what's the next big EA sports game? Madden, right? Any news on that?

Madden 25 has no Wii U version iirc

boyshine

I'm just throwing this out there.. what are the chances of EA working with Nintendo on the evolution of Wii Sports? Could explain the lack of sports-ports if there's an exclusive "EA Sports U" on the way.. AND the fact that Nintendo had no Wii Sports 3 at launch, or haven't even talked about it when it seems the most obvious game to announce.

antonz

Justifiably.

Because even though the Wii has an overall software tie ratio of only about 1 game less than the PS3 or 360; I imagine that the third party software tie ratio was much lower.

3rd parties sold quite well on the Wii. Nintendo presented numbers and slides to show this quite frequently. 3rd parties just opted to take what good will they generated early on and shit on the users so they eventually just told the 3rd parties to fuck off.

Instead of sticking with normal Madden like we did year 1 lets kiddy it up and put lots of stupid mini games and totally destroy everything that made madden popular in the first place and then each year change it more and more for the worse. 3rd parties are their own worst enemy because they feel the need to pretend the audience is only kids and need to take what works and turn it kiddy. I bought Madden 06 on the Wii and then never bought another again due to the kidifcation of the series on the platform and each year after the first we saw the series sell worse and worse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If I had to guess, I would say the only companies that might have actually changed plans were Warner and Ubisoft, since they were the primary Western supporters of the system.

Well, Warner hasn't announced enough new games to actually tell if their plans changed, but Ubisoft's obviously did.

schuelma

If I had to guess, I would say the only companies that might have actually changed plans were Warner and Ubisoft, since they were the primary Western supporters of the system.

Well, Warner hasn't announced enough new games to actually tell if their plans changed, but Ubisoft's obviously did.

Yup. Maybe Ubisoft throws one or two more bones and gives it a shot but I'm skeptical.

Madden 25 has no Wii U version iirc

Yeah, that'll effectively ruin the Wii U. If Nintendo has lost EA sports titles, they need their own sports titles that aren't Mario-themed. I don't see that happening.

Potential buyers knowing there aren't EA sports titles on a console is a quarantine sign.

Meelow

Banned
TW 14 is 100% not coming to WiiU. FACT!
(sorry if harsh, but its true)

but TW 15... Well lets just say that is a different story ;)

"Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry. "

From the place you go for Nintendo news.

So TW 15 is coming to Wii U?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People who don't post on NeoGAF don't know that. It's a huge site and it's easy for people to not know. I personally don't go there, but I can understand how people outside or even new to GAF don't know or understand why they're not good.

It's expected that when you join a website you read the terms of service and rules postings--and I'm inclined to believe that everyone knows they aren't allowed here, given that I never bust people for actually citing VG Chartz, always for being circumspect about it. Whether it's "Numbers from that one site" or just namedropping the information without citing a source at all, I'm inclined to believe people know the rules but ignore them.

I've saved three juniors from this specific thing in the last few weeks. I won't be saving a fourth. *shrugs*

schuelma

Yeah, that'll effectively ruin the Wii U. If Nintendo has lost EA sports titles, they need their own sports titles that aren't Mario-themed. I don't see that happening.

Potential buyers knowing there aren't EA sports titles on a console is a quarantine sign.

I still think they will get some sort of Madden game. It will be utter shit, but they'll give em something.

3rd parties sold quite well on the Wii. Nintendo presented numbers and slides to show this quite frequently. 3rd parties just opted to take what good will they generated early on and shit on the users so they eventually just told the 3rd parties to fuck off.
Presumably you mean 3rd parties sold quite well early on, but ultimately sold much better on the 360 and PS3 and didn't really sell that much software on the Wii - although again, I'm keen to have any up to date numbers anyone may have. And ultimately, laying blame entirely on third parties doesn't change the outcome: that these publishers have little confidence that their software will sell on Nintendo's new platform because of the numbers on the Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yea, it's surpassed that

Can't remember the exact figures but I think it's over 100k in the US in the alone. A mod posted the figures in one of the sales threads along with numbers for zombiU
I think that ZombiU is the only 3rd party WiiU title that has been confirmed to be over 100k in the US.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46308769&postcount=1805
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46300827&postcount=1338

Might be over 100k worldwide by now though.

GulAtiCa

Yup. Maybe Ubisoft throws one or two more bones and gives it a shot but I'm skeptical.

I can see Ubisoft sticking around for the long run. I can for sure see them not trying as hard, and just sticking with simple ports/etc. But the Wii seemed to be a major player for their Just Dance games, so likely they will stick around somewhat to the end of the year to see how things turn out.

Actually I'm curious if Ubisoft will even release a Just Dance 5 for the Wii this fall.

I still think they will get some sort of Madden game. It will be utter shit, but they'll give em something.

That's logical and normally I'd agree, but no Tiger Woods is a strange decision. As others have said it performed pretty well on the Wii. It's especially odd considering EA has already released sports games on the system.

Mrbob

no no no!

its more a matter of where to invest in right now. Do you rework your gen3 games to work on WiiU (which is struggling and not the home of the EA sports demographic) OR do you prepare your franchises for the upcoming boxes (taht do house EA sports fans)?

They can always port frojm Gen3 to WiiU later... but only one chance to jump to "next Gen" with consumers on Orbis/Durango.

Its just playing the odds.

Interesting. As a sports gamer, reading between the lines, the Wii U is already a dead platform to me regarding sports games. I've played Gen 3 the past 7 to 8 years. Ready to move on. Guessing this is what will happen for the bulk of us.

Sucks for Nintendo. This is almost as bad as not getting the games at all. But I put the fault squarely with Nintendo for not having hardware that will allow for advances in sports gaming. I'm expecting huge upgrades on how physics are handled in sports games next generation.

donny2112

The Wii U's disappointing launch is giving companies cover- but 99% of the time, I think those decisions were made a year or two ago.

DS9paranoid_mod.gif

Justifiably.

Because even though the Wii has an overall software tie ratio of only about 1-2 games less than the PS3 or 360; I imagine that the third party software tie ratio was much lower.

And then that's easily rebutted with "third parties didn't put their big games on the system to sell in the first place, so of course, they can't sell what they don't make." Don't go down this same path again. You seem more knowledgeable than this, shinra-bansho.

Sounds good to me, and hey, as long as get the entries for all games from now on, I'm cool with missing an early entry, since don't they just get better and better anyway? Better than just one entry then we're left in the dust.

Though Madden would probably be the exception on Wii... but mostly in the style, god...

Interesting. As a sports gamer, reading between the lines, the Wii U is already a dead platform to me regarding sports games. I've played Gen 3 the past 7 to 8 years. Ready to move on. Guessing this is what will happen for the bulk of us.

Sucks for Nintendo. This is almost as bad as not getting the games at all. But I put the fault squarely with Nintendo for not having hardware that will allow for advances in sports gaming. I'm expecting huge upgrades on how physics are handled in sports games next generation.

Arkam did say EA has a gen 4 game on Wii U, could be one of their sports games.

How can ZombiU be the only one over 100k when all those other games sold much better than it in December? Did they all start off way lower in November? Release later?

ZombiU has a solid marketing campaign and was easily the most high profile third party launch title. It did well in November. All third party software died in December for Wii U.

Hiltz

Well, at least its not about a game I care about. Still, its not obviously good when a new platform is going to be missing out on big sports games like Tiger Woods and Madden this year.

test_account

XP-39C²
How can ZombiU be the only one over 100k when all those other games sold much better than it in December? Did they all start off way lower in November? Release later?
I dont think we have any numbers for the other games, only sales ranking (that those 4 games sold more than ZombiU in December, but we dont know how much more they sold, and we dont know how much ZombiU sold in December).

It's up to members to read the fucking FAQ. It takes long enough to get approved, not reading the FAQ is idiotic, and everyone should know that Chartz is banned. Ignorance is no defence.

schuelma

ZombiU has a solid marketing campaign and was easily the most high profile third party launch title. It did well in November. All third party software died in December for Wii U.

ZombiU did better in December, at least in the U.S

Arkam did say EA has a gen 4 game on Wii U, could be one of their sports games.
I read that they are Foregoing a gen 3 TW14 so they can focus on gen 4 games.

Next year for TW15 they will have a gen3 TW (just as there will still be a ps3/360 SKU still) that focuses on WiiU enhancements.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

ZombiU did 50% better in December than November in the US (NPD).

Edit:
Just checked, literally every single SKU on Wii U, whether first or third party, did better in December than November (US NPD). Your point couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Soi-Fong

Nintendo should just make a sports division. And I mean serious sports, not Mario games (although I love those).

If third parties think passing Nintendo hardware is a good idea then good luck to them, they did it before with Wii, missed the opportunity and spent the rest of the generation not getting the Wii market at all, and trying to fill it with crappy waggled ports and unwanted "exclusive" shovelware.

Good luck to them I say, but Nintendo should not let this become their own disadvantage like they did before.

Nintendo should have done a better job accommodating third parties. Don't blame third party publishers for Nintendo's incompetence with the Wii U.

Arkam

"Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry. "

From the place you go for Nintendo news.

So TW 15 is coming to Wii U?

Oh man, of all the places to get quoted :p
l

GulAtiCa

The whole EA gen 3/4 thing is starting to stick, isn't it? People keep mentioning gen 4, and I can't help but think of SNES & Genesis games. lol. I see lots of people using that instead of 7/8.

EDarkness

It's up to members to read the fucking FAQ. It takes long enough to get approved, not reading the FAQ is idiotic, and everyone should know that Chartz is banned. Ignorance is no defence.

<shrug> I've never read the FAQ...on any website. It's like reading the T&Cs with software. Who reads that stuff?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The whole EA gen 3/4 thing is starting to stick, isn't it? People keep mentioning gen 4, and I can't help but think of SNES & Genesis games. lol. I see lots of people using that instead of 7/8.

Well from EA's perspective it makes sense because it's how they categorize their art assets/technology for 3D games that they then port across all sorts of platforms in a similar "gen" (power level) of technology.

donny2112

<shrug> I've never read the FAQ...on any website. It's like reading the T&Cs with software. Who reads that stuff?

It's common to put the source of your information, if you get it from somewhere else. That seems to be well understood even without reading the FAQ forum. The moment they try to link to VGC, they see it is *'d out. That should be a really big clue. :p

LOCK

no no no!

its more a matter of where to invest in right now. Do you rework your gen3 games to work on WiiU (which is struggling and not the home of the EA sports demographic) OR do you prepare your franchises for the upcoming boxes (taht do house EA sports fans)?

They can always port frojm Gen3 to WiiU later... but only one chance to jump to "next Gen" with consumers on Orbis/Durango.

Its just playing the odds.

I understand what your saying, but it still makes no sense to me. Developing the brand on a new system that is already released should be more important than new systems that haven't come out yet. This would be totally pointless if not for the fact that TW did comparable on the Wii with the 360 and PS3.

BrhysH

Nintendo should have done a better job accommodating third parties. Don't blame third party publishers for Nintendo's incompetence with the Wii U.

It's 3rd party developers who put out shoddy software on Nintendo consoles who drive people away from their games.

Top Bottom