• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods 14 not likely for Wii U

farnham

Banned
I think it's much easier to sell iterative improvements and sequels to the "core" audience than it is to do the same for casuals.

Yes but nintendo managed to do so with wii fit and wii sports. Lets see if they fail pr not before claiming wiiu is dreamcast

Ok, Nintendo need a sport division.

They'd lack the licenses though, which is a huge selling point for EA Sports games.

PES isn't a bad game at all, but I know many people who ignore it simply because it's not as decked out as the EA editions (not that FIFA is a bad game on it's own by any means).

Zarovitch

They'd lack the licenses though, which is a huge selling point for EA Sports games.

PES isn't a bad game at all, but I know many people who ignore it simply because it's not as decked out as the EA editions (not that FIFA is a bad game on it's own by any means).

I didnt think about the license.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
where we have a great opportunity to connect fans to the real world of golf and each other.
What does this even mean? Pretty sure the Wii U can do that. Just slap a Miiverse community together and point 2 is addressed instantly.

A conversation with Reggie would go like this:

J: Why doesn't the Wii U have major third party games, and why isn't it going to receive any in the future?
R: Nintendo rocks, everything about us is awesome, anyone who disagrees is a meanie loser.
J: Wat?
You need to work on your Reggie impersonation. He will give an answer while missing out important details.

R: "I disagree. Is Nintendo going to have games in the future? Absolutely"

Of course this doesn't imply anything about the Wii U or third parities.

farnham

Banned

Wii sports or the mario games are huge sellers. Kinda moots your point

ahm998

Ok, Nintendo need a sport division.

Nintendo Need first developer like forza team + EA sport team + Uncharted Team + Gears team.

And should release their Childish game thinking little bit.

They should equals their Game 20% Mature 20% Sport 20% Childish not only so many childish.

Really love nintendo but I need more mature game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think Sony and Microsoft are going to face competition from their own consoles. Especially since the PS3/360 will likely get price cuts after the new consoles launch.
If PS4 doesn't have BC I'm tempted to get a PS3 instead and catch up with the last gen.

As for the poor performance of ME3: if the explanation is people already bought it on their PS3 or 360 - wouldn't that still serve the purpose of showing EA that there isn't really any point of a Wii U SKU for some games?
Only for games that are old. Games being released on the same day as each other would have a market.

Adding to that Nintendo f*ck up by not including a Wii Remote in the box so a portion of the user base won't be able to use that set up pictured.
There are people out there without a Wiimote?

iPSXFcl.jpg

prag16

Banned
How would the controller be scratched more from a non-wood flooring? (also, it's got a matte back)

I know it's a lot of accessories... but come on. What golf game fan wouldn't want to try a setup where the game is on the TV, the ball's lie is on the gamepad on the floor, you stand on the balance board, and you swing with the wii motion plus?? xD

Pociask

What does this even mean? Pretty sure the Wii U can do that. Just slap a Miiverse community together and point 2 is addressed instantly.

You need to work on your Reggie impersonation. He will give an answer while missing out important details.

R: "I disagree. Is Nintendo going to have games in the future? Absolutely"

Of course this doesn't imply anything about the Wii U or third parities.

The problem is that the question is too general. The journalist needs to do research ahead of time, and ask a specific series of yes/no questions. "Madden right now is not releasing on the Wii U and 3DS. Have you discussed this with EA? Have you offered lower licensing fees to get the games back on Nintendo platforms? Sharing porting expenses? Sharing marketing expenses? Sega's release of the Dreamcast was widely seen as negatively impacted when EA skipped the Dreamcast. What is Nintendo's plan to get EA back on the system, specifically?" And follow up, and follow up, and follow up.

Right now, the standard question is more like, "Where are the third parties Reggie?" and the answer is "Exciting stuff coming! I love the hard corez gamers, I love GTA and footballs, Nintendo's really really trying!" "Cool, next question, where's 3d Mario?"

mojo2

Neo Member

My thoughts exactly.

I'm really pissed if TW is not coming, I spent so many beer-filled hours on TW Wii even though I've never played real golf, and it was one of the reasons I got WiiU. Well maybe they get Move working as good as Wiimote+. It's 50€ for Move and 50€ for the game though.

farnham

Banned
So a german nintendo site says TW14 is not comming because the dev kits were too late and TW14 was planned one year ago. They claim TW 15 is comming

They refer to neogaf and the banned nintendo blog though.. So grain of salt
Nintendo Need first developer like forza team + EA sport team + Uncharted Team + Gears team.

And should release their Childish game thinking little bit.

They should equals their Game 20% Mature 20% Sport 20% Childish not only so many childish.

I dont agree this notion

Nintendo and the rest have divided the market as follows

Kids and casuals = nintendo
15-35 male = sony, ms

If nintendo intends to get their wiiu sales up they need to play to their market first. Once their market has transitioned to wiiu they may think about the dudebro crowd

Userbase is not going to stay small if nintendo targets the casuals right. I fully agree that they have failed to do so yet
That audience in America and maybe Europe is having a blast with Tablets and smartphones, that ship set sale some years ago.
There are people out there without a Wiimote?
Do you seriously expect a 1:1 Wii to Wii U ownership? The Wii Remote population is divided between normal ones and M+ capable, so it would benefit the Wii remote user base anyway packing the console with another Wii remote+. More over, to play local asimmetric games, one of the Wii U most advertised features, the user needed a peripheral that it may not possess. That's was not a good desicion on Nintendo's part for the consumer. Plus developers would have benefited for knowing that every Wii U user would have a Wii remote in there.

donny2112

Mario golf is a bigger seller than TW

The best-selling Mario Golf in the U.S. sold slightly better than then best-selling Tiger Woods on Wii. However there are three Tiger Woods on Wii that sold better than the second-best selling Mario Golf in the U.S. Mario Golf may potentially sell more than a single Tiger Woods, but the annualization of the series makes it a bigger seller as a franchise. It's the same concept with how Mario Kart may have sold more than a single Call of Duty, but Call of Duty puts up those less-than-Mario-Kart numbers every year.

Don't minimize lack of support. It's overall industry support that helps keep a platform viable. Don't go the other way and make a mountain of one game, but don't try to minimize each single passed on game, since the singles can really add up.

farnham

Banned
That audience in America and maybe Europe is having a blast with Tablets and smartphones, that ship set sale some years ago.

With your argumentation nobody should try to venture or achieve anything as the established companies will always win anyways.
The best-selling Mario Golf in the U.S. sold slightly better than then best-selling Tiger Woods on Wii. However there are three Tiger Woods on Wii that sold better than the second-best selling Mario Golf in the U.S. Mario Golf may potentially sell more than a single Tiger Woods, but the annualization of the series makes it a bigger seller as a franchise. It's the same concept with how Mario Kart may have sold more than a single Call of Duty, but Call of Duty puts up those less-than-Mario-Kart numbers every year.

Don't minimize lack of support. It's overall industry support that helps keep a platform viable. Don't go the other way and make a mountain of one game, but don't try to minimize each single passed on game, since the singles can really add up.

If nintendo gets a good userbase do you really think EA will maintain the current position?

donny2112

Actually, Tiger 12 completely tanked on the Wii.

Eh. Not really compared to the other console versions.

The series had been selling worse and worse each year on Wii so they finally abandoned it.

Yeah, but it started off from much, much higher than the other console versions, too.

If nintendo gets a good userbase do you really think EA will maintain the current position?

They did with Wii. Don't put anything past them. :p

I have a real bad case of deja vu right now. It's the catch-22 of the Wii all over again.

No proper support -> games don't sell -> no proper support.

But they don't want a repeat of the Wii, where they were giving good lip service and attempted some B-tier efforts over the first couple years. Now they're bailing much quicker.

Seems like it, yeah.

So a german nintendo site says TW14 is not comming because the dev kits were too late and TW14 was planned one year ago. They claim TW 15 is comming

They refer to neogaf and the banned nintendo blog though.. So grain of salt

It's from Arkham in this thread.

Only for games that are old. Games being released on the same day as each other would have a market.
The argument that it didn't sell that well as:
"People didn't buy it on the Wii U because already bought it a year ago on their PS3/360"
can easily be turned into:
"People will just buy it on their PS3/360, if we don't have a Wii U version."

I don't think current software sales of games released on the same day would indicate it's substantial or valuable enough to care right now for EA anyway.
Which big gaming franchise is not similar to the last iteration?

And after two games that sold 20 mio you are saying it will outright bomb, really?
They may not "outright bomb" but they may not have as stellar sales as you're implying they will simply because of their pedigree. They also may not have the intended effect of driving HW as much as one would hope.

Take two recent examples, just using Japanese figures as they're more documented:

and

Brain Age:
linecomparegamejp.php

Red = Brain Age
Blue = Brain Age 2
Green = Brain Age 3DS

The latter grew substantially from iteration to iteration on the NDS, but neither transitioned that audience to the 3DS very well. And neither did a great job at driving HW, like their predecessors did.

farnham

Banned
The argument that it didn't sell that well as:
"People didn't buy it on the Wii U because already bought it a year ago on their PS3/360"
can easily be turned into:
"People will just buy it on their PS3/360, if we don't have a Wii U version."

I don't think current software sales of games released on the same day would indicate it's substantial or valuable enough to care right now for EA anyway.
They may not "outright bomb" but they may not have as stellar sales as you're implying they will simply because of their pedigree. They also may not have the intended effect of driving HW as much as one would hope.

Take two recent examples, just using Japanese figures as they're more documented:

and

Brain Age:
linecomparegamejp.php

Red = Brain Age
Blue = Brain Age 2
Green = Brain Age 3DS

The latter grew substantially from iteration to iteration on the NDS, but neither transitioned that audience to the 3DS very well. And neither did a great job at driving HW.

I could show you an animal crossing chart and say the very opposite. Obviously they did not do well with nintendogs out of the gate. Same with brain age. Marketing was also bad for both titles. We will see if they make the same mistake with wii fit U. If they do they are pretty fucked.

I could show you an animal crossing chart and say the very opposite.
If you think the Wii U will be in the same position the 3DS was at the time of Animal Crossing's release then maybe you could.

Wii Fit U is still slated for "Spring/Summer" 2013 afaik. So I highly doubt that will be the case.
Im not saying wii fit u will outsell wii fit plus. Im saying wii fit u and wii party u will be substantial systemsellers to the casual crowd.
Just as Brain Age and Nintendogs were for the early 3DS?

farnham

Banned
If you think the Wii U will be in the same position the 3DS was at the time of Animal Crossing's release then maybe you could.

Wii Fit U is still slated for "Spring/Summer" 2013 afaik. So I highly doubt that will be the case.

Im not saying wii fit u will outsell wii fit plus. Im saying wii fit u and wii party u will be substantial systemsellers to the casual crowd.

With your argumentation nobody should try to venture or achieve anything as the established companies will always win anyways.
By no means close to what i was getting at. You misinterpreted my post Farham, talking about the Wii U as a product not that Nintendo can't have that audience back with something more interesting. The Wii U by most is asociated (fairly or not) as Nintendo answer to tablets, thing is... that market was already perfectly covered by a many companies a lot earlier and with a wider spectrum of options. How Nintendo did not see this is beyond my comprehension. Then they castrate the device for other markets and third party interest by making it too close to cuarrent gen capabilities.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm honestly not trying to to make this sound like a dig at the GamePad here, but what is the advantage of this setup? Does the GamePad offer unique accuracy tracking being on the floor as you swing the Wiimote at it? Because in my mind, it just seems rather unnecessary and pointless if it's nothing more than a visual aid for something to swing at.

farnham

Banned
By no means close to what i was getting at. You misinterpreted my post Farham, talking about the Wii U as a product not that Nintendo can't have that audience back with something more interesting. The Wii U by most is asociated (fairly or not) as Nintendo answer to tablets, thing is... that market was already perfectly covered by a many companies a lot earlier and with a wider spectrum of options. How Nintendo did not see this is beyond my comprehension. Then they castrate the device for other markets and third party interest by making it too close to cuarrent gen capabilities.

Yes nintendo makes baffling decisions. Thats because they are always trying to set trends not follow them. Saying the wiiu is just a tablet device is also wrong. A tablet is a standalone device while the wiius gamepad has to be used in proximity of the main device. That of course comes with advantages and disadvantages. But its definately not a me too device. We will see if they can realize the potential of that set up or if they will fall flat.

I know it's a lot of accessories... but come on. What golf game fan wouldn't want to try a setup where the game is on the TV, the ball's lie is on the gamepad on the floor, you stand on the balance board, and you swing with the wii motion plus?? xD

I don't know. This strikes me as something that sounds much cooler on paper than it does in practice. In theory, you're getting into the realm of the most realistic simulation possible in gaming. In practice, you're still missing the most critical part of the actual game of golf: swinging a real club at a real ball.

jimi_dini

Nintendo and the rest have divided the market as follows

Kids and casuals = nintendo
15-35 male = sony, ms

And what's with males that are 36+? Are those automatically casuals? And what about females? Every female is casual?

And what about people owning more than one console? What if for example I had two and even prefered Wii last gen, although I own lots of games. I guess I'm casual then lolz.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm honestly not trying to to make this sound like a dig at the GamePad here, but what is the advantage of this setup? Does the GamePad offer unique accuracy tracking being on the floor as you swing the Wiimote at it? Because in my mind, it just seems rather unnecessary and pointless if it's nothing more than a visual aid for something to swing at.

Well in actual golf you're suppose to be looking at the ball when you swing...

jerd

I would imagine in that setup, your hud would be on the gamepad (adjust spin, angle, whatever else you do in golf games) then the tv would be just an open fairway and maybe wind speed.

Edit:

So all that crap could be gone

Well in actual golf you're suppose to be looking at the ball when you swing...

Did you really think this needed clarification? Maybe I'm missing something here, but what I'm getting at is are there any technological benefits to this approach versus just putting a golf ball on my floor and swinging at it? Or a sock? Or a quarter? Or a... you get where I'm going.

Did you really think this needed clarification? Maybe I'm missing something here, but what I'm getting at is are there any technological benefits to this approach versus just putting a golf ball on my floor and swinging at it? Or a sock? Or a quarter? Or a... you get where I'm going.

Well the gamepad has a sensor bar so it knows where the wiimote is pointed in relation to it so it could feasibly offer some difference from the normal setup where it just knows HOW you swing. This could be used to know where you're actually hitting the ball

Yes, the gamepad is an extra sensor bar so it offers more accuracy.

EDIT: beaten

farnham

Banned
we will have an idea about that gamepad golf thing soon. nintendo will obviously release wii sports u sometime between now and Q 4 2014.

And what's with males that are 36+? Are those automatically casuals? And what about females? Every female is casual?

And what about people owning more than one console? What if for example I had two and even prefered Wii last gen, although I own lots of games. I guess I'm casual then lolz.

obviously im talking about the gros of the audience in a demoscopic sense

there are always individuals that are not falling into that generalized view. (I am in my late twenties and usually play kiddie games like mario and also use wii fit every day.) but for a company that sells to the masses obviously the big picture is more important. If it comes to niche products its more important to know who your fanbase is.

Well the gamepad has a sensor bar so it knows where the wiimote is pointed in relation to it so it could feasibly offer some difference from the normal setup where it just knows HOW you swing. This could be used to know where you're actually hitting the ball
Yes, the gamepad is an extra sensor bar so it offers more accuracy.

EDIT: beaten
In my layman opinion the answer is not that straightforward my friends. So i think this only can be answered by a developer that has actually coded a golf game or someone with a lot of knowledge about this type of tech. What im getting at is that having the sensor bar there would offer anything meaningfull precision or gameplay advantage over what the Wii M+ already offers?

What's the user feedback in the example pictured? How does the player knows if he is aming the Remote correctly?

In my layman opinion the answer is not that straightforward my friends. So i think this only can be answered by a developer that has actually coded a golf game or someone with a lot of knowledge about this type of tech. What im getting at is that having the sensor bar there would offer anything meaningfull precision or gameplay advantage over what the Wii M+ already offers?

What's the user feedback in the example pictured? How does the player knows if he is aming the Remote correctly?

. . .
It's a mockup video! The gamepad has a sensor bar. It could easily show a visual indicator of the club on the screen because it knows where it's pointed.

donny2112

and

Brain Age:
linecomparegamejp.php

Red = Brain Age
Blue = Brain Age 2
Green = Brain Age 3DS

The latter grew substantially from iteration to iteration on the NDS, but neither transitioned that audience to the 3DS very well.

1. Nintendogs caused a bump, but didn't really drive hardware sales prolonged in Japan.
2. Brain Training caused a modest bump in the baseline hardware sales for DS, and was a much bigger long-term pusher of hardware for DS. However, if you looked at the weekly numbers, they hadn't increased that much. It's just that the baseline value actually rose thanks to Brain Training, so every week having a slightly higher baseline => lots of overall systems sold.
3. Brain Training 3D was released with NSMB2 and 3DSXL, so can't see any impact from it specifically on hardware.

That said, no, I don't think Brain Training 3D sold much hardware for 3DS, either.

Also from the MC thread,
After a year on the market, Nintendogs is seeing ~60% decline on 3DS compared to DS. After 6 months on the market, Brain Training is seeing ~70% decline on 3DS compared to DS. I don't necessarily think these are a really great measuring sticks for Wii Fit (different type of systems), but if Wii Fit saw a 70% decline after 6 months on Wii U compared to Wii, it'd be at ~550-600K, which probably wouldn't be too bad, actually.

Well they did release tiger and were succesful with it.

Until the Tiger 12 version wasn't *quite* as successful as before, and then they dropped it like a rock. DO NOT put it past EA. ;)

we will have an idea about that gamepad golf thing soon. nintendo will obviously release wii sports u sometime between now and Q 4 2014.

Unless they think it's too "easy" and decide to not do it. That's why there was never a proper Wii Sports 2 with expanded versions of the original game. They thought it was the "easy" path, and didn't want to go that way. Ugh.

1. Nintendogs caused a bump, but didn't really drive hardware sales prolonged in Japan.
2. Brain Training caused a modest bump in the baseline hardware sales for DS, and was a much bigger long-term pusher of hardware for DS. However, if you looked at the weekly numbers, they hadn't increased that much. It's just that the baseline value actually rose thanks to Brain Training, so every week having a slightly higher baseline => lots of overall systems sold.
3. Brain Training 3D was released with NSMB2 and 3DSXL, so can't see any impact from it specifically on hardware.

That said, no, I don't think Brain Training 3D sold much hardware for 3DS, either.

Also from the MC thread
Essentially, I see Wii Fit U acting the same way as Nintendogs - causing a transient bump - but not driving sustained hardware sales. Particularly if it releases in this quarter to an ailing rather than booming system, as Wii Fit did.

Perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the Wii Sports/Motion Control effect, but I really do think the synergy of Wii Sports + X or Y was a large factor in making X or Y sell, and turning X or Y into a system seller. And I think that's very difficult to transfer over without an equivalent Wii Sports.

I am of course open to being completely and utterly wrong.

FIFA is the big question and if that doesn't come that will be a huge news.

Yeah, if FIFA 14 doesn't appear on the WiiU, then it's time to sound the alarm, since that's pretty much a sign that EA thinks your format is dead. Hell, FIFA 13 was released on the PlayStation 2 (admittedly it was also released on the WiiU, so don't panic).

If nintendo decides to release their own line of sports games - I hope they do it in a majorly disruptive way - i.e. relatively cheap (30 dollars), a one-time purchase for the entire generation with free or cheap (15 dollars) yearly updates for rosters and gameplay/graphics enhancements, custom/shareable plays online/miiverse, iphone/android team management via miiverse apps, connection with fantasy leagues, free 3ds version, etc.

if they want to have advertisements streamed into the games in exchange for making it nearly free, i'm ok with that...

EA has exclusivity over these licenses (NFL, FIFA, PGA) - but from what I understand they forfeit them unless they release yearly updates to the games on each platform in particular, so Nintendo should be able to go to the NFL, etc and pick them up super cheap

donny2112

Perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the Wii Sports/Motion Control effect, but I really do think the synergy of Wii Sports + X or Y was a large factor in making X or Y sell, and turning X or Y into a system seller.

Just recalled, but Wii Sports wasn't bundled in Japan, which is where the weekly charts showing ~50% ratio between Wii hardware and Wii Fit were at. Japan is a different beast than most, but just wanted to remind about that. (Japan is also where Wii sales tapered off first, so maybe no Wii Sports bundle was the reason for that. :p )

Top Bottom