• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: The 50 Best Video Games of All Time

Budi

But this list is pretty selective in its gaming game history. I'm an old geezer, and i am missing A LOT of old titles that could be seen as important in games history. Populous? Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder? The Sentinel? Wizzbal? Sensible Soccer/Kick off 2? MGS? Wing Commander? Descent? Elite? Ultima? I could go on. These are all games that made a mark in gaming history and have been in top 10's 20-30 years back.Before the internet there was only magazine's and i bought a ton of those. Never did i see Oregon's Trail this high in a top 10-20-50-100 list.

Oh yeah, i agree with what you are saying. There's no Deus Ex or original Xcom either. My problem was just with him/her saying that it shouldn't be on the list because he/she hasn't personally heard about it. I'm sure his reaction would be the same to some of the games you mentioned. I remember seeing Oregon Trail on some of these lists, could be how I actually discovered it personally. And it also got introduced to the videogame hall of fame same time as GTA III and Legend of Zelda.

Hesemonni

Banned
mj-laughing.gif

The list looked ok until this random pick.
Yeah. That one really sticks out. Some strange omissions, but an entertaining list nevertheless.

I'm guessing in this list of important games they thought a Tomb Raider game has to on it and randomly put ROTTR in.

I'm going to take this as the Tomb Raider series/third person adventure

Also these type of lists always have way too much Zelda, like an unwritten law that you include lots of Zelda high up even if the list makers haven't played a single minute, like its sacrosanct and you'll lose face if you don't boringly include the token 2-3 Zelda games in the top 10

IDK I think TLOU is good and all, but it just has some good dialogue and story. Even comparing with something like ROTTR, Tomb Raider has way, way, way better gameplay and exploration elements. I dont think TLOU will be that well remembered a few years from now, maybe some people and magazines will forget about it.
lol no one gives a fuck about ROTTR compared to TLOU bar a dozensofus.gif group of people (congrats on being part of this elite and incredibly small group of people). The game also came out over 3 years and it's held on an incredibly high standard. The game is one of the games last gen and to some it is the best game last generation on all platforms.

The game also has one of the best MPs game that I've ever played, even with a few issues and lack of game modes. If TLOU had a Search & Destroy in the mold of Call of Duty 1 and a few more maps, it might dethrone the King as my favorite MP game of all time.

Hylian7

I figured I probably would disagree with a good chunk of this list, but the fact they Dota 2 is on there at all makes me have respect for it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
NFL 2K5 is flat-out a better game than BioShock. So is Tecmo Super Bowl. That's two, count 'em, two NFL games that are better than BioShock.

I know that people here sometimes have a hard time wrapping their heads around the high quality of great sports games, but that doesn't make them bad games.

I'm not much for sports gaming at all and can definitely understand putting some on the 'most influential' list... but what makes Madden 2k5 better than all the other sports games? What was it about that year in particular that made it stand out, when there's been over 25 years worth of Maddens?

NFL 2k5 isn't Madden. It's the last NFL game Visual Concepts got to make since EA bought exclusivity to the license afterward. I don't really care about football and even I would say 2k5 was a great game. It's certainly better than any Madden I've ever played.

damstr

Neo Member
I was going to be angry if Halo Combat Evolved wasn't on there. I remember getting the game and the guide before I had an Xbox which were hard to come by at the time. I had read the guide inside and out and knew everything there was to know about the game before I even played it.

I stood in line for 2 hours when a certain store had a demo station of the game set up. I was in awe when I finally got my hands on the controller (remember the big ugly Xbox controllers that launched with the console?) and just getting lost in the game. Everything about the game was perfect. My favorite thing to do is snipe in that game. Something just very satisfying about it that I can't explain.

Trace

Banned
Honestly that's one of the best top 10s I've seen. Not going to comment on the full 50 but it made me really happy to see The Oregon Trail in there.

I'm not much for sports gaming at all and can definitely understand putting some on the 'most influential' list... but what makes Madden 2k5 better than all the other sports games? What was it about that year in particular that made it stand out, when there's been over 25 years worth of Maddens?

Who said anything about Madden? NFL 2K5 isn't a Madden title, different developer.

Overall I have very few complaints about the list, I am very pleasantly surprised to see The Legend of Zelda ranked so highly.

But to not have Street Fighter II, ANYWHERE on the list, is criminal.

djtiesto

Honestly that's one of the best top 10s I've seen. Not going to comment on the full 50 but it made me really happy to see The Oregon Trail in there.

Who said anything about Madden? NFL 2K5 isn't a Madden title, different developer.

I have no interest in sports games so I didn't realize they were 2 different games :p

But why that particular year for that particular franchise?

Solid if not safe list, with one exception.

Rise of the Tomb Raider seems very conspicuous. Most of the games seem to be on the list because it was a landmark title in its genre or the industry itself - it explains stuff like Oregon Trail being in the top ten - but how is Tomb Raider on the list and Uncharted 2/3 and The Last of Us aren't? If a classic Tomb Raider is on the list then cool, it fits with everything else. But a decently well received sequel in an age where Naughty Dog are considered one of the best developers and their most beloved and acclaimed games are direct competitors to Tomb Raider really sticks out.

I would have liked to see Chrono Trigger in the list, but my second favorite and tied for second favorite games are Final Fantasy VI and VII so I'd be a hypocrite for chastising Time for the omission even if I think objectively CT might be slighter better than both and arguably almost as import as at least VI.

The Oregon Trail was a literal trailblazer, and its first incarnation was in 1971. The Carmen Sandiego series didn't appear until fourteen years later.

Also, for posterity and to keep up with the general trend of this thread: No Horizon: Zero Dawn, no Breath of the Wild, no FFVII remake and no God of War XI = shit list.

edit: Actually reading the synopsis on Mortal Kombat shows that it's on the list not because of its actual gameplay, but because of the controversy it stirred and how it supposedly paved the way for more "Mature" games.

But Carmen was released in 1985 as well and proliferated classrooms when computers were commonplace, stuff all classrooms had computers in the 70s. Also Carmen was far more distributed and taught with global geography not just a USA western story, outside the USA it was a more popular game in classrooms. I'd also argue it had more "video game aspects". Further Oregon Trail only reached popularity during the Apple II's push into the classroom during the mid 80s, in parallel to Carmen.

ESPN NFL 2K5 did a few things that other games didn't do.

First, in terms of in-game mechanics, it had the best ever seen in a football game. It's hard to explain if you're not a huge football fan, but stuff like the receivers dragging their feet to stay in-bounds on sideline catches so that you could run certain routes (like out routes) effectively for pretty much the first time in a video game was HUGE as far as making for a real sim version of video football. There were tons of these mechanics that made it pretty much the most advanced sim ever seen at that time by a surprising margin. Madden took a lot of what 2K5 did and put that into future Madden games, in fact.

It had first-person QB'ing, which was another innovation.

It had the strongest presentation so far in terms of commentary and looking like an NFL game.

It also had the crib that you could upgrade and decorate, use to take on the teams of B- and C-list celebrities, acquire and listen to songs from the extensive soundtrack, etc. It was actually a pretty sweet diversion.

And finally, it was so good, so creative, and so diverse for a sim football game (and for only twenty dollars!) that Madden had to pay for exclusivity rights to making NFL games to kill the 2K football series. That's how great it was.

As far as this list, three sports games come to mind as worthy of consideration for a top fifty list:

• ESPN NFL 2K5
  • Tecmo Super Bowl
  • NBA Jam

djtiesto

ESPN NFL 2K5 did a few things that other games didn't do.

First, in terms of in-game mechanics, it had the best ever seen in a football game. It's hard to explain if you're not a huge football fan, but stuff like the receivers dragging their feet to stay in-bounds on sideline catches so that you could run certain routes (like out routes) effectively for pretty much the first time in a video game was HUGE as far as making for a real sim version of video football. There were tons of these mechanics that made it pretty much the most advanced sim ever seen at that time by a surprising margin. Madden took a lot of what 2K5 did and put that into future Madden games, in fact.

It had first-person QB'ing, which was another innovation.

It had the strongest presentation so far in terms of commentary and looking like an NFL game.

It also had the crib that you could upgrade and decorate, use to take on the teams of B- and C-list celebrities, acquire and listen to songs from the extensive soundtrack, etc. It was actually a pretty sweet diversion.

And finally, it was so good, so creative, and so diverse for a sim football game (and for only twenty dollars!) that Madden had to pay for exclusivity rights to making NFL games to kill the 2K football series. That's how great it was.

As far as this list, three sports games come to mind as worthy of consideration for a top fifty list:

• ESPN NFL 2K5
  • Tecmo Super Bowl
  • NBA Jam

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm a casual football fan but you definitely answered my questions. Seems the game was quite forward thinking and progressive. And yeah Tecmo Super Bowl and NBA Jam are awesome, I'd throw in NHL '94 and Baseball Stars as well, too.

drexplora

wonder if Bomberman made the list?!

Tetris and Bomberman are one of the few games I've played that I consider perfect.
Games where the fun never ends if you're willing to get better!

Servbot24

Banned
Also these type of lists always have way too much Zelda, like an unwritten law that you include lots of Zelda high up even if the list makers haven't played a single minute, like its sacrosanct and you'll lose face if you don't boringly include the token 2-3 Zelda games in the top 10

You think that no one who contributed to this list has played a Zelda game?

Soodanim

This can't be serious.

I don't know, maybe you are just young? Or you don't know about game history much? It's not the articles fault that you haven't heard of Oregon Trail, it's on you.
I was born in 88 so I'm not too young based on what Wikipedia says. But I am from the UK, and that is not the game we had on our Apple machines in school. We had text adventures, but not that. I'm still surprised that despite having been on the internet and following gaming things all my life, I have no recollection of this ever being mentioned.

That said, the list in question is weird.

Pretty solid list. Mine would be different but I can't argue with number 1, it is perfection in what a videogame should be.

Tetris rules.

Rise of the Tomb Raider seems a strange one. I've not played it but I have never heard anyone say its that good to be in a list like this, I would have put MGS or Uncharted 2 there.
Games like GTA 3 make it look like it's more influential games rather than best games as GTA: Vice City was superior.

Stiler

You guys are really going to say Half Life 2 which went on to directly influencing how the Call of Duty series were made, which is the biggest console game franchise that isn't F2P, is less influential than Half Life 1? That is absurd.

Do you have any specific reasons you believe otherwise?

Yes, Half Life 1 influenced the ENTIRE genre.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/re...ctive-the-game-that-changed-shooters-forever/

A good article going over what it did and the bar it set for games after it that many followed.

Basically before half life 1 most fps games were like Doom and Quake. They weren't strong on the narrative, they didn't tell a story in-game (rather most used cutscenes or things that pulled you "out" of the game) among other things.

Half life 1 brought about things like having scripted story elements while you playead 9rather then breaking the game for cutscene moments) and it brought in a good mix of puzzles and things apart from simply "shoot everything on your screen."

Without half life the fps genre mi

Mortal Kombat but no Street Fighter 2?

No Chrono Love :(

The fact that there is Rise of Tomb Raider and no The Last of Us is also baffling

The best way to do a list like this is to break it down into genres and subgenres instead of throwing 50 games into a semi random list while also limiting it to one game per franchise unless two deserving games are significantly different (LoZ:ALttP+LoZ:OoT or SMBW+Super Mario Galaxy). People would still complain if Halo: CE is ahead of DOOM or Half-Life, but at least they could be comparing red apples to granny smith apples and not oranges to tomatoes.

Top Bottom