• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times your mind was actually blown by a video game

Khronico

dDdrFqw.png

How this game knew what I did during Millennial Fair...mindblown.

Played this game for the first time last year on Wii virtual console and I was legitimately shocked at this moment. Did NOT expect that to happen.

I remember first seeing Assassins Creed over at a friends house when he got a 360. It was my first exposure to open world games and next gen. My mind was reeling, I could not BELIEVE how HUGE that first city was.

Also, the moment I walked out of the vault in Fallout 3. I put my controller down and just stared for a minute or two.

nawwafh

The first flying collosus of SOTC..
Uncharted 2 opening.. And the part where Ur jumping from truck to truck.. And the train part..
Uncharted 3 plane in the desert..
GTA5.. Skydiving for the first time..
The Last of Us.. Winter..
Prince of Persia Sands of Time.. Rewinding time for the 1st time..
God of War 3 opening..And Chronos fight..

The final boss of the Wonderful 101.

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!

ghibli99

Yeah, the Chrono Trigger "trial" scene is a good one.

Soul Edge intro. My God.

First time I saw the MGS2 trailer was a mind-blowing, iconic moment at E3 that year. It was still crazy to watch after like the 20th viewing.

Gamerloid

The World Ends With You blew my mind. The game could have been called Plot Twist, because there's so many of them. Genius game. Might be my favorite game of all time.

Daingurse

Sonic Adventure blew my brains out. I went from Genesis to Dreamcast. Just a disgusting, utterly game changing upgrade. Best looking games I'd play before that were like Lego Island and Carnivores on PC. Hell even Sonic R running at god knows what framerate, impressed me back in the day.

I was fortunate to be playing any polygonal games prior to the Dreamcast now that I think about it . . . PC it was always there, lol.

botty

Banned
Realizing that the Kingdom Hearts series is actually a lesson in existentialism by the time you get to the end of KH2.

DJIzana

chrono_cross.jpg

I have never seen a game in my life with such a perfect, lush setting COMBINED with the best gaming soundtrack of all time. The only thing that will ever come close to this, in this day in age, would be Monolith Soft's "X" or FFXV.

Metal Gear Solid is the first thing that came to mind.

Plugging in the controller in Port 2 to avoid Psycho Mantis's telepathy. Using cigarettes to see infrared sensor beams. Having to look at the back of the CD Jewel Case to find Meryl's codec number. Master Miller actually being Liquid Snake the whole time, causing Solid Snake to indirectly activate the Metal Gear he'd been sent to stop. Snake being the carrier of Foxdie, explaining all of the deaths in the game. Not to mention the cinematic, engrossing, and intense gameplay. All of it was mindblowing way back in 1998.

Still probably my favorite game with the most lasting impression on me even to this day.
I actually started playing this for the first time just recently, I knew the gameplay related bits but I really should have stopped reading. Oh well, not your fault but mine.

GetemMa

On NES

Zelda
Mario
Contra

all the sequels to those games on SNES

First time I saw Sonic on Mega Drive

Doom on PC waaaay back in the day.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea...how to beat Psycho Mantis was a wtf moment...

Final Fantasy series had numerous. I think anytime someone died that I didnt expect to....mind blown.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My mind is actually blown that you made it 10 years without hearing that spoiler. Back in late 2003/04 that's all people were talking about, and they did it pretty openly.

Mostly because its one of the most obvious twists I've ever seen.

GTA V's city literally wowed me. When I'd be up in the mountains or skydiving and I'd see the cityscape or the all the lights at night it would blow me away. The size of that city was breath taking.

First bought a PS3 and played the intro to GOW 3. So ridiculous.

And going from battlefield 4 from PS3 to PS4 was insane. PS3 was soooooo bad. Then PS4 just looked so clean and the bumped player count was a very nice addition. It was crazy to actually see the next gen bump in front of my eyes

Fantastical

Death Prophet
iYf5rjCpsc82a.JPG

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories ending is really phenomenal. It gave me feelings I never knew existed and was still affected by it days after.

Absolutely this one. I was floored when I finished this game. Also some of the best realistic graphics on Wii.

Just Cause 2 was pretty mind blowing for me also. Being able to do so much crazy shit.

Bioshock 1's intro is the top gaming experience for me, so that's one.

Rocksmith and 'Reptilia'. Full circle. The fact that a game taught me how to play a song that rad blew my goddamn mind.

Finally? Castlevania for the NES. Played it for the first time ever about a year ago. The game is pure perfection. EVERY SINGLE THING WORKS AND IS AMAZING. I was truly blown away by how perfect the game's design is.

tripleV

I'd have to say playing Mario 64 when it debuted but also buying Morrowind on Xbox not knowing anything about it and when I realized the extent of my freedom in the world. 500 hours later and my mind was blown again when my saved game froze on load, forever to be lost.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Super Mario 64, and Final Fantasy VII for the first time.

Playing Portal. I had no idea how the gameplay worked, and yes, it blew my mind. The plot twist(s), too.

Playing Super Mario Galaxy and running along the underside of a planetoid.

Jumping from the summit in Battlefield 3's Damavand Peak.

Playing Resogun and finding going into a trance, weaving through and destroying enemies in an almost subconscious level.

The fluidity and grace of Halo was so amazing, especially after coming from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which were amazing for their time / console, but became very quickly outmoded.

Completing The Last of Us and finally enjoying a game's plot as much as a movie's plot.

chrono_cross.jpg

I have never seen a game in my life with such a perfect, lush setting COMBINED with the best gaming soundtrack of all time. The only thing that will ever come close to this, in this day in age, would be Monolith Soft's "X" or FFXV.
Hell yeah, great choice. I didn't enjoy the game all that much, but good god was it gorgeous.

I actually started playing this for the first time just recently, I knew the gameplay related bits but I really should have stopped reading. Oh well, not your fault but mine.

Sorry man!! I knew I should have spoilered, but I figured that since the game was over fifteen years old now it'd be okay.

Now I feel bad. :(

Logash

When I fought the first colossus in SotC.

First time I played Ocarina of Time.

Playing through Taris, the first planet in Knights of the Old Republic.

Playing World of Warcraft for the first time 7 years ago.

Plenty more I can't think of at 2 AM while I'm sleep deprived :p

jadedm17

Gaming didn't click in general until I was older. That said :
Portal
Bioshock (+Infinite)
The Last of Us

As a console gamer, from 360 to PS4? Battlefield 4.
I died a lot just watching things blow up in the air.
Actually, I still do sometimes.

Wish I could find a better .gif, but RF:Guerilla. I remember in the demo they give you a giant mech and you could just smash right through a building. I think I ejaculated.

ku-medium.gif

Forgot this... Yea, so awesome.

Vire

You know... For as many times I have beaten Chrono Trigger, I've oddly never once played Chrono Cross.

I've just heard so many mixed things about it that I think I rather have the memory of Chrono Trigger go unblemished.

drgambit

Banned
Chrono Trigger:

The sealed 'Zeal' chests were in multiple timelines @ the same location:

Open one in the past - can't open it again in the future

BUT

Open the chest in the future - you can open the same one in the past and get duplicate items.

Such an awesome mechanic.

Mupod

jHOxDtQYUyrcF.jpg

I knew there was some kind of crazy plot twist, but when I got there I actually stood up and walked around the room a few times trying to get it all to sink in.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally solving the Ice Palace in Link to the Past and Eagle's Tower in Link's Awakening. I was around seven and nine when those games came out, and both dungeons were really hard for me.

DocSeuss

My first encounter with an anomaly in STALKER. Every blowout I ever experienced. The first Controller. Honestly? A lot. Continually.

But then there's Thief. Thief was amazing. I was playing the Bonehoard, and trying really hard not to die. But these zombies, man... so hard. Finally, I found out how to kill them: there is a room where some zombies are sleeping. Climb up above it. Kill one with a holy water arrow--it'll make a sound. If zombies hear zombies, they'll come running. Eventually, ALL THE ZOMBIES IN THE LEVEL will pack into the room, and you can just start killing them, using the holy water arrows and their splash damage to kill them all, taking out multiple zombies with a single arrow. I exploited a HUGE number of that game's systems to do something the designers probably hadn't anticipated. I felt great.

Another time in Thief, actually earlier, I got spotted by a guy. He chased me. Being clever, I jumped into the water, thinking he couldn't follow me. He did. Jumped into the water, ran along the river bed, swinging his hammer, shouting how he would kill me. I freaked out and swam as fast as I could, trying to get away. Eventually, he drowned.

That the game allowed for both of these things blew my mind.

Condemned has this bit where a guy jumps out of an air vent, pulls a pipe from the wall, and when he does, the lights go out. That was fantastic; even better when I learned that I could do it too.

Most of W101's cinematics and gameplay. I remember thinking to myself, "I can't believe how much my mind is being blown right now." This happened consistently.

Top Bottom