• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tina Fey on Weekend Update on Protesting After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

yeah let's all become humorless, that'll show em

i don't understand how anyone could watch this video and think she's being serious. take a step back

I learned long ago that GAF don't get humor

Look outside of GAF once in a while and you'll see that the internet is also railing into her.

Anyway, it's a muddled message that could be her saying "hey actually do something" but it's washed away with her going fairly straight for part of the routine which is why people are angry. Having to suss out intent means the joke/set-up failed, and on the wonderful world of Twitter too many people are taking the advice of the sheetcake part when dealing with this situation.

This is why you wanna make yourself real clear, because your base will respond in kind.

Magilla

Banned
yeah let's all become humorless, that'll show em

i don't understand how anyone could watch this video and think she's being serious. take a step back

She's commenting on a subject in which an American citizen was run over and killed by a fucking Nazi. HAHA HAHA she's eating a cake and telling me not to care about it. I love jokes.

a448a84d57.jpg
Probably not really how Fey feels about this but still damn good lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mean, the beginning of her routine was saying she hopes the NYC rally happens so that they get their asses kicked by angry drag queens.

It's interesting that people think this is sending a negative message about it being best to stay at home during the Nazi protests. If anything, my takeaway is that she's making fun of the people who do stay at home and do nothing.

phanphare

Banned
unless I'm missing the joke I think she's throwing shade at people who sit at home and do nothing thinking it will help and the people who advocate ignoring the hate

essentially if you think staying home, ignoring the bigots, or posting shit on facebook instead of getting out there and doing something is going to change anything you may as well just yell into a cake

maybe I missed the mark on the bit but that's what I got. she's clowning the people who think everyone should just ignore the hate.

I didn't realize ideology was intrisically tied to someone's capital worth.

It sure as hell is a major factor. She is so wrapped up in her rich elite life that she could never meaningfully connect with a true egalitarian left movement. She's definitely not a leftist because a leftist wouldn't tell you sit on your ass when nazis show up and start killing people.

I'd say 'buy a gun and kill every nazi you see' is a hotter take, especially from people who wouldn't dare do such a thing

But no one made that hot take yet. Except you.

It sure as hell is a major factor. She is so wrapped up in her rich elite life that she could never meaningfully connect with a true egalitarian left movement. She's definitely not a leftist because a leftist wouldn't tell you sit on your ass when nazis show up and start killing people.

Look, I've been involved with marxist movements in real life. Oskar Schindler was a very wealthy man, but spent his fortune to fight against the fascist machine. But if not the rich that support us, who will buy our guns?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
She's commenting on a subject in which an American citizen was run over and killed by a fucking Nazi. HAHA HAHA she's eating a cake and telling me not to care about it. I love jokes.

She's not giving instructions. She is making fun of people who do nothing. If she weren't, she would not have gorged her face with cake during the bit.

Christ I can't remember the last time an SNL show was funny. Like, legit funny.

"Scientists have found that women can have super orgasms with a mix of stretching, relaxation, yoga and...........................pretending."

Uuuuurrrgggghh.

Amalthea

Banned
Uh, isn't that supposed to be a riff on the "Let them eat cake" myth about Marie Antoinette when she saw people protesting about the lack of bread?

Aeana

unless I'm missing the joke I think she's throwing shade at people who sit at home and do nothing thinking it will help and the people who advocate ignoring the hate

essentially if you think staying home, ignoring the bigots, or posting shit on facebook instead of getting out there and doing something is going to change anything you may as well just yell into a cake

maybe I missed the mark on the bit but that's what I got. she's clowning the people who think everyone should just ignore the hate.
This is exactly right. I thought it was completely obvious.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think everyone missed the part where she said she hopes they try to rally in NYC so they get the shit kicked out of them.

I do understand the criticisms aimed at the cake part alone but I think the message is different when you look at the entirety of her appearance.

theWB27

She called ann coulter a yardsale Barbie
She told the nazis their fighting for land stolen from native Americans
She told Paul Ryan to grow some balls and tweet @trump
She called out the self trained militias
She hopes they rally in new York so that a 6 foot 4 black drag queen will kick the shit out of a nazi

I also didnt hear when she told people to stay home with her sheetcake joke.

Not seeing where Tina gets called out for this.

Alucard

Banned
I took it as her showing how helpless some people feel in this situation and how they just don't know what to do and feel like saying "fuck it, I'm just gonna laugh and self-destruct because I don't know how to process any of this." It's a commentary on coping and processing events when the world around you seems mad and feels like it's spiraling out of control. There was also some good commentary in there about the double standard of protesting.

That said, I can also understand the criticism this sketch is receiving on here and elsewhere. It's not constructive, as ultimately, ignoring the issue is not the answer.

Also, this could be a spoof of people who feel like doing nothing, and a way of mocking them. But I don't think so.

I think the closing line about letting Nazi's shout into the empty air adds a little ambiguity to the humour of it. Up until that point I saw it as a parody of people saying it's best to not show up, however that made it look like she didn't realise what she was doing and actually thinks leaving the Nazi's be was the best option. If she ended with "Treat it like a thoughtful move with two female leads and don't show up" the sketch would have had a clearer message.

Holy fucking shit how are so many of you not seeing the joke?

I feel like either people just saw a headline and got outraged rather than watching any of the sketch, or you're just idiots.

EDIT:

• Tells white guys screaming "take our country back" that "It's not our country, we stole it from the native Americans"
  • Shoot at peaceful protesters at Standing Rock, let chinless turds (Nazis) march with automatic weapons
  • Shits on anyone trying that both sides false equivalency by pointing out that one side is literal Nazis and Klansmen and it wasn't the left that drove the car into the crowd and killed someone.
  • Points out how independent militias and those nutjobs are terrifying for black people
  • Calls out Paul Ryan for being a pussy and calls Trump a racist

It's SO obvious. Stop being so fucking dumb.

Lebron

ITT people are upset that a comedian, on a comedy show, doing a comedy sketch, is not taking things seriously.

cheezcake

Yeh this is what I got from it and I thought it was pretty funny...

Seesaw15

I think the closing line about letting Nazi's shout into the empty air adds a little ambiguity to the humour of it. If she ended with "Treat it like a thoughtful move with two female leads and don't show up" the sketch would have had a clearer message.

Yeah the end is the only reason I'm not gonna argue with anyone in this thread about the authors intent.

megalowho

Holy fucking shit how are so many of you not seeing the joke?

I feel like either people just saw a headline and got outraged rather than watching any of the sketch, or you're just idiots.
The morally bankrupt comedian class and their convoluted word-lies cannot be tolerated in times of strife.

addik

Coming from Duterteland, I find this absolutely hilarious, especially if you ask people who wish to stay apolitical (for reasons) but are clearly against murder just say "yeah, let's just eat/sleep over it."

I thought it was pretty clear who Tina Fey was targetting here.

ItIsOkBro

if i didn't know better, the topic title would make me think it was someone with authority speaking on the news

but it's tina fucking fey on satuday night live

MightyKAC

Level of commitment has always been the issue in the American fight for civil rights.

On one side you have a generally homogeneous group of people, all fighting for the same reason, and all pretty much willing to do the same things to get it.

The other side is almost the exact opposite.

Thoroughly diverse peoples, groups within groups, which means they are affected by the issue in many different ways. This then leads to VASTLY different motivations and different agendas that sometimes run in conflict with would should be a common goal.

The result of all this means that some folks have actual skin in the game because they have no choice in the matter, some think they do until shit gets too real for them and they take themselves out of the fight because they have the option to, and others were never really serious to begin with but played the role because it's what's cool right now.

One side is a brigade of pure hate and the other side is a herd of cats.

Not a good match-up in my book.

snacknuts

we all knew her

This is what I got from it. GAF's reaction is giving me a headache.

i also thought it was obvious that she was making fun of people who just do nothing. that's why she says "go buy a cake" as an advice to follow but when it comes to actually doing anything more than that she follows up with "and THEN do nothing and just feel bad". that was the punchline.

phanphare

Banned
ITT people are upset that a comedian, on a comedy show, doing a comedy sketch, is not taking things seriously.

just because she's doing a bit doesn't mean she's not taking things seriously. in fact the bit seems to suggest that she's taking it quite seriously considering who the butt of her joke is aimed towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom