• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tina Fey on Weekend Update on Protesting After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalonJH

The thread confused me. At the end when she says "treat rallies like x, don't show up", are people saying she:

a. is making fun of those people who decide to not show up / do nothing and is insulting passivity, or
b. is actually saying don't show up and people on twitter are upset at her for telling people to not do anything

I feel like it's fine until that last sentence. The joke had ended and she was giving advice at that point. I'm sure she has the best of intentions but it sounds like B to me.

I completely get the joke but think it falls flat because of the seriousness of the situation and how the ridiculous situation she described is exactly what is happening so it kinda hit close to home.

Not all jokes are meant to invoke laughter. Especially those involving social commentary. It was not a goal to make the audience feel better about themselves at the end of the skit.

Koomaster

She literally says in a sober tone, 'Don't show up. I love you Charlottesville.' If you're saying that this is all a bit; you guys are the ones who don't understand how jokes work. That was not a joke.

Whatever is the case with this 'bit' - it missed it's mark considering half the people are viewing it incorrectly one way or the other. Maybe she should clarify what she meant and that will settle things.

phanphare

Banned
I feel like it's fine until that last sentence. The joke had ended and she was giving advice at that point. I'm sure she has the best of intentions but it sounds like B to me.

how can you say the joke had ended when it was still ongoing? the whole thing was a bit, it didn't end until it ended

She literally says in a sober tone, 'Don't show up. I love you Charlottesville.' If you're saying that this is all a bit; you guys are the ones who don't understand how jokes work. That was not a joke.

Whatever is the case with this 'bit' - it missed it's mark considering half the people are viewing it incorrectly one way or the other. Maybe she should clarify what she meant and that will settle things.

yeah it's almost like that plays into the bit and the people that she's criticizing with the bit

For fucks sake I must be crazy. how has this flown past people's heads?

I think it's more what Dre said:

I completely get the joke but think it falls flat because of the seriousness of the situation and how the ridiculous situation she described is exactly what is happening so it kinda hit close to home.

I believe that even people who understood the joke were motivated to give a serious response because it's a joke about something they are actually fighting with others about on a daily basis. Tensions are high and people are sensitive and some people just aren't in a position to laugh about "the Nazi problem" right now.

This is normally remedied by sensitive people not watching late night shows where they joke about this kind of stuff, but since this got thrust to the forefront of their morning information consumption, people who normally stay away from the content are prompted to give a response.

I know my first response was to respond seriously, which I did. But 20 minutes later my mood had softened considerably and it didn't bother me anymore and I wished I hadn't said anything at all. It originally gave me whiplash to see something like this between the tweets, headlines, and thread titles that otherwise pump me full of dread and anxiety.

One of the basic and arguably evolutionary qualifications for humor is a sense of safety. If a joke feels threatening, it usually isn't funny. The problem that many people are having with this joke is a contextual one rather than one of content.

Imm0rt4l

I didn't find that very funny at all tbh, I'm just gonna chalk it up to the execution, which may or may not be due to her not having much if any skin in the game at all. If this is an attempt at self depricating or gallows humor, it fell flat .

Slayven

It's a terrible( punchline and execution) joke and the timing of it isn't going to do it or her any favors.

Thats about it

I think it's more what Dre said:

I believe that even people who understood the joke were prompted to give a serious response because it's a joke about something they are actually fighting with others about on a daily basis. Tensions are high and people are sensitive and some people just aren't in a position to laugh about "the Nazi problem" right now.

This is normally remedied by sensitive people not watching late night shows where they joke about this kind of stuff, but since this got thrust to the forefront of their morning information consumption, people who normally stay away from the content are prompted to give a response.

I know my first response was to respond seriously, which I did. But 20 minutes later my mood had softened considerably and it didn't bother me anymore and I wished I hadn't said anything at all. It originally gave me whiplash to see something like this between the tweets, headlines, and thread titles that otherwise pump me full of dread and anxiety.

One of the basic and arguably evolutionary qualifications for humor is a sense of safety. If a joke feels threatening, it can't be funny. The problem that many people are having with this joke is a contextual one rather than one of content.

Not all jokes are meant to invoke laughter. Especially those involving social commentary. It was not a goal to make the audience feel better about themselves at the end of the skit.

I already took this point to account with the above.

30 Rock: Tracy and Thomas Jefferson on Maury

We found that light skin girl Tina was referring to

phanphare

Banned
here's a question for people who didn't get the bit

if she had come out there and said "hey, if you think that ignoring the Nazis is going to benefit anyone you're a big dumb idiot" would you agree?

Koomaster

yeah it's almost like that plays into the bit and the people that she's criticizing with the bit
I really just don't understand you or what you're getting at. Are you saying she's criticizing the people who love charlottesville? Like, I just don't get it I guess. How is that supposed to be funny or are we supposed to laugh at people here? If that's the joke, it's even worse than just saying stay home and eat cake. :/

effzee

I loved the whole 30 min weekend update special and esp her part.

But let's say even if she is somehow saying don't show up to counter-protest Nazis to avoid violence, this isn't automatically a wrong option or akin to turning your back minorities affected. I see both sides as legit options to a protest.

TimmiT

The thread confused me. At the end when she says "treat rallies like x, don't show up", are people saying she:

a. is making fun of those people who decide to not show up / do nothing and is insulting passivity, or
b. is actually saying don't show up and people on twitter are upset at her for telling people to not do anything

Even if it's supposed to be A, it looking so much like it's B makes this a really bad skit.

I already took this point to account with the above.

I get what you're saying here, but we have a semantic disagreement over what a "joke" is. You're right about humor being used in social commentary and the importance of doing so, but I think jokes that aren't meant to be laughed at are more examples of irony than humor. Irony is an equally effective form of social commentary and can be funny, but it is not an innately funny literary device.

I think Tina Fey was going for laughs, which she got, and I think it was intended as a joke. What made a bunch of people in this thread and the internet at large so defensive is that they're not in the mood to joke about something like this.

I think it would be different for most people were they willingly watching the episode this is from and had signed on for some comedic release. Then people are opening themselves up to some jokes, even about things they're stressed out about. The reaction this joke is getting when viewed independently is due to people who did not lower their guard to accept a political joke like this and, quite conversely, have their guard up hard.

This isn't unique to Tina Fey or this subject or anything either. People are struggling to relax because they feel fully charged up to play staunch defense 100% of the time. When they let themselves be vulnerable and try to cool off, then something like this might be funny. But when you're red-eyed on Twitter because everything makes you sick all the time, so do jokes from a show you didn't watch last night. You know what I mean?

TalonJH

if she had come out there and said "hey, if you think that ignoring the Nazis is going to benefit anyone you're a big dumb idiot" would you agree?

If she apologizes(she will because she's a great person) and say that it is what she meant but that she is sorry, would you take her apology or would you argue that she's just saying what people want to hear and it was all just a joke.

I'm totally fine with if it was all just a joke and I know she has the best intentions either way.

The answer to your question is yes. I know you think that is basically what she is really saying and I really hope it is that. The problem is that people will take that advice even if it was sarcasm.

phanphare

Banned
I really just don't understand you or what you're getting at. Are you saying she's criticizing the people who love charlottesville? Like, I just don't get it I guess. How is that supposed to be funny or are we supposed to laugh at people here? If that's the joke, it's even worse than just saying stay home and eat cake. :/

you're removing aspects of the bit and trying to find a setup -> punchline style laugh out of context which is causing you trouble

I'm saying the whole thing was a bit and the parts at the beginning are playing into that. if I'm reading the bit correctly she's criticizing people who think ignoring all the hate out there is a good idea. so to set up the bit she is essentially playing a character that believes those things. then as the bit progresses it gets more and more absurd highlighting the absurdity of holding such a belief.

Caught this in my twitter feed. It's a thread that does a way better job expounding upon why this sketch is problematic and tone def than I ever could: https://twitter.com/AndrayDomise/status/898403926415769601

but she's not offering those things as solutions....she's clowning the fuck out of people would offer those things as solutions

If she apologizes(she will because she's a great person) and say that it is what she meant but that she is sorry, would you take her apology or would you argue that she's just saying what people want to hear and it was all just a joke.

I'm totally fine with if it was all just a joke but it seems that is what she is saying and I know she has the best intentions either way.

The answer to your question is yes. I know you think that is basically what she is really saying and I really hope it is that. The problem is that people will take that advice even if it was sarcasm.

I'm not sure what you're asking, can you rephrase. sorry, it's early

Canti.

It's a joke, a commonly used one as that. Nedroid did a similar joke on how people tend to ignore their problem hoping it goes away.

1454181574212hty6i.png

Comedy is all about timing, and I think it's a bad time to be joking about this. Like, it's way too soon for some comedic hot takes (GAFs fave word) on Nazis being legitimized and emboldened in this country. It's a real fucking fear for a lot of us and I just don't wanna laugh about it.

I hate nothing so much as the "it's just a joke, relax" defense. Just because something is intended to be humorous doesn't mean it has no message, or intent, behind it. Jokes say things. Jokes are political. If your only defense of a bad joke is "but it's a joke" you need to think deeper.

Comedy is all about timing, and I think it's a bad time to be joking about this. Like, it's way too soon for some comedic hot takes (GAFs fave word) on Nazis being legitimized and emboldened in this country. It's a real fucking fear for a lot of us and I just don't wanna laugh about it.

That's a valid perspective, but why would you then watch SNL's Weekend Update?

nynt9

re: "it's just satire bro"
DDl6EI5VYAETdp8.jpg

It's not a very good joke if a lot of people seem to think it's just a straight faced message of "don't fight nazis"

Imm0rt4l

Having a good underlying idea/sentiment doesn't make the joke actually funny or less harmful.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Some people heal through humor. Some people deal with tragedy through humor.

Some don't. Some do. One way is not valid for all. Tragedy and comedy have been intertwined at least as long as there has been written thought.

I think there's a truth to her statement of "Don't go out there. Don't get involved in violence" which is a totally valid stance to hold. Part of that as well seemed to be "just don't give them the voice or stage. Ignore them". The cake was just for comedic effect.

Ignoring them is a fucking stupid idea. They try to shame the left and use "tolerance" as a way of diluting the left's anger. No more.

Some people heal through humor. Some people deal with tragedy through humor.

Some don't. Some do. One way is not valid for all. Tragedy and comedy have been intertwined at least as long as there has been written thought.
You know the old adage tragedy + time = comedy. I feel that applies here very well in that there hasn't been enough of that there time factor. We're still in the very midst of this thing and it feels like it's only getting worse. I'm just not down for joking around about it unless you got some real poignant points to make, which wasn't the case here.

I get what you're saying here, but we have a semantic disagreement over what a "joke" is. You're right about humor being used in social commentary and the importance of doing so, but I think jokes that aren't meant to be laughed at are more examples of irony than humor. Irony is an equally effective form of social commentary and can be funny, but it is not an innately funny literary device.

I think Tina Fey was going for laughs, which she got, and I think it was intended as a joke. What made a bunch of people in this thread and the internet at large so defensive is that they're not in the mood to joke about something like this.

I think it would be different for most people were they willingly watching the episode this is from and had signed on for some comedic release. Then people are opening themselves up to some jokes, even about things they're stressed out about. The reaction this joke is getting when viewed independently is due to people who did not lower their guard to accept a political joke like this and, quite conversely, have their guard up hard.

This isn't unique to Tina Fey or this subject or anything either. People are struggling to relax because they feel fully charged up to play staunch defense 100% of the time. When they let themselves be vulnerable and try to cool off, then something like this might be funny. But when you're red-eyed on Twitter because everything makes you sick all the time, so do jokes from a show you didn't watch last night. You know what I mean?

All fair points and in respect to the person you quoted earlier, from reading this, I understand what they meant more. Eh, I feel like a jerk now for making it too simplistic in his case. Things can be too serious for jokes/irony may not be able to penetrate and I can respect that because I can't say that their reaction to this is wrong or misguided based on how deep they took the situation at Charlottesville(sp?).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
CAo9J4r.png

Tina Fey is ridiculing people who do nothing in this skit. It is purely satire. She is not being literal when she tells people to stay home. She is playing a character.

y2dvd

It's obvious Tina is being facetious. I understand tensions are high, but the joke is either flying over people's heads, or they don't care and want to take out their anger on her anyways.

Caught this in my twitter feed. It's a thread that does a way better job expounding upon why this sketch is problematic and tone def than I ever could: https://twitter.com/AndrayDomise/status/898403926415769601

but the sketch does the exact opposite. it makes fun of people of for doing nothing and just ignoring it. i thought it was obvious how silly it looked how she's stuffing cake into her face. she literally eats cake to make her problems go away. it's almost too on the nose.

Let them eat cake definition

A saying that shows insensitivity to or incomprehension of the realities of life for the unfortunate.

"instead of doing something just stuff cake into your face, this will make problems go away"

phanphare

Banned
Ignoring them is a fucking stupid idea. They try to shame the left and use "tolerance" as a way of diluting the left's anger. No more.

ignoring them is a stupid fucking idea

it's as stupid as yelling into a cake with the american flag on it while stuffing your face with it and pretending you're befitting anyone

CAo9J4r.png

Tina Fey is ridiculing people who do nothing in this skit. It is purely satire. She is not being literal when she tells people to stay home. She is playing a character.

yeah it's pretty obvious what her intent and message is

Audioboxer

It's a somewhat fascinating social experiment unfolding in front of us where large groups of people utterly fail to get political/social satire in the form of humour. It's not strictly about liking or approving of it, but people totally failing to get it. My take is a lot of it is feigning ignorance just to have another target to go after in moments of angst/frustration/being scared or wanting to let go of inner anger. People do get that many remarks, ESPECIALLY when they come from comedians are dissent, satire, ridicule or humour, but humour is often low-hanging fruit to go on a tirade from due to feeling offended/unhappy/dissatisfied someone isn't super serious 24/7. You setup your argument of I cannot believe humour is being used in a difficult time, so, therefore, the mouthpiece of said humour needs to feel the social ire of me and the internet.

A quote I came across recently I like

”The greatest enemy of authority, therefore, is contempt, and the surest way to undermine it is laughter."

―Hannah Arendt

Often humour, satire and ridicule are what many turn to, to try and get through difficult times, and also often what is used to throw contempt and shade at people/Governments. A lot of minds and people would crumble under despair if they couldn't turn to humour in dark times as a means to either escape reality fleetingly or as is often the case for a way of expressing dissent/dissatisfaction through contempt and ridicule.

There's a lot of heavy handed remarks going around, many which have been viewable on GAF, saying that violence and/or killing is the only way forward. The thing is, even if YOU truly believe that, criticising pacifists or those wanting to use other ways to fight back/ridicule/dissent is quickly turning into shaming people for not wanting to get violent. Like it or not there are many people who DO care about the greater social and political issues but also want to take care of themselves and their family (being in a hospital, jail or unemployed doesn't help there).

Tina Fey's overall "punchline" seems to be ridiculing those that stay at home and do very little, but let it be said the two dials aren't "doing nothing" and "bashing skulls in". Voting, writing letters, engaging in debate and yes, attending protests are all ways to be involved that aren't getting violent. If you want change you need to work towards change, and that most definitely starts with voting, and getting people not voting out to vote. Then from there, you can routinely be involved in debate, argument and protest.

Draper

She went in both directions with this. She played the passive character who eats her feelings, but then soberly chooses to convey a message of 'leave them alone- let them kick rocks'.

It doesnt make a whole lot of sense

TalonJH

I'm not sure what you're asking, can you rephrase. sorry, it's early

No problem man, same here honestly. I'm just asking if she admits that she was actually advocating that people stay home in an apology. Would you accept that or would you think she was trying to make people happy afterward?

I still think her intentions were pure either way.

Honestly, with everything going on, I don't really want to argue about this. I am completely willing to see it as part of the joke. I just don't want to see people take what she said, (satire or not) like the people here:

That fact that it hit home means it worked. Satire should make people feel bad or angry. Not all humor induces gutbusting laughter.

Kyzer

Banned
Oh my god are some people seriously mad at Tina Fey for not telling people on Weekend Update on NBC Thursdays © to grab their weapons and meet the alt right head on? She even made fun of the fact that theyre out there getting their asses kicked

Can yall take a breath ornau

Jofamo

Jesus. "Take out the cake and jokes, Tina is offering two solutions..."

She's not offering any solutions. ITS A JOKE.

Take out the joke and she called Colin Jost a Nazi. Maybe we should investigate what kind of Nazi propaganda Jost is pushing on the SNL cast?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Honestly, with everything going on, I don't really want to argue about this. I am completly willing to see this as part of the joke. I just don't want to see people take what she said, (satire or not) like the people here:

And some people thought Mark Twain was advocating racism. People are often stupid.

Also,

Bad taste[edit]
Common uncomprehending responses to satire include revulsion (accusations of poor taste, or that "it's just not funny" for instance) and the idea that the satirist actually does support the ideas, policies, or people he is attacking. For instance, at the time of its publication, many people misunderstood Swift’s purpose in A Modest Proposal, assuming it to be a serious recommendation of economically motivated cannibalism.
-Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom