• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tina Fey on Weekend Update on Protesting After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
No problem man, same here honestly. I'm just asking if she admits that she was actually advocating that people stay home in an apology. Would you accept that or would you think it was still a joke and she was trying to make people happy afterward?

I still think her intentions were pure either way.

Honestly, with everything going on, I don't really want to argue about this. I am completly willing to see this as part of the joke. I just don't want to see people take what she said, (satire or not) like the people here:

if she apologized and actually confessed that she was being serious about people staying home I'd be pretty confused to be honest. that seems to fly in the face of what is being presented. it'd have to happen for me to actually assess that situation because I could honestly see a scenario where she "apologized" but in the process just laid the satire on even thicker.

Caught this in my twitter feed. It's a thread that does a way better job expounding upon why this sketch is problematic and tone def than I ever could: https://twitter.com/AndrayDomise/status/898403926415769601

But the cake was an integral part of the skit. The skit would be pointless if Tina didn't have the cake and set the cake up for what it was. That twitter thread became a nonstarter from his first point. That means he didn't understand what that skit represented at all. We shouldn't promote this

It's obvious that she's joking about channeling the anger into eating cake, but when she delivers her final lines about letting the Nazis scream into the air I don't think that was part of the "joke," given the sincerity in her voice and the fact that she'd moved on from the cake joke at that point.

I don't agree with her take on that, but I understand it. There are clearly some "free speech defenders" who show up just so they can get a reaction, incite violence, and seem like they're being persecuted and I think that's what she was speaking to.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yup. Don't vote. Don't get active.

Scream into your pan cake and don't show up.

SMH

Common uncomprehending responses to satire include revulsion (accusations of poor taste, or that "it's just not funny" for instance) and the idea that the satirist actually does support the ideas, policies, or people he is attacking. For instance, at the time of its publication, many people misunderstood Swift’s purpose in A Modest Proposal, assuming it to be a serious recommendation of economically motivated cannibalism.
-Source

TalonJH

if she apologized and actually confessed that she was being serious about people staying home I'd be pretty confused to be honest. that seems to fly in the face of what is being presented. it'd have to happen for me to actually assess that situation because I could honestly see a scenario where she "apologized" but in the process just laid the satire on even thicker.

I see. I think she will say something because I just really respect her. If she says it was all satire, I will take it as that and I'm fine. This isn't the time to fight amongst ourselves.

I'm amazed that this is in any way contentious. I thought it was a great bit and I'm planning on doing some counter protesting this weekend.

It's a joke, a commonly used one as that. Nedroid did a similar joke on how people tend to ignore their problem hoping it goes away.
This was a way better joke.

Terrible setup and boring punchline. That's all it is people. Stop being so outraged.

Goddamn it wasn't even funny. SNL these days just isn't funny to me nowadays.

I feel like if she had literally dressed up like Marie Antoinette and said "let them eat cake" you guys would be like "Why is Tina Fey of SNL's Weekend Update advocating that people eat cake? Does she not understand that cake is expensive and is of poor nutritional value?"

Ivan 3414

The thread confused me. At the end when she says "treat rallies like x, don't show up", are people saying she:

a. is making fun of those people who decide to not show up / do nothing and is insulting passivity, or
b. is actually saying don't show up and people on twitter are upset at her for telling people to not do anything

While we can sit on our high horses all day(as we love to do and are doing now) about how people "don't get the joke", the fact is the joke is unclear and ultimately a detriment to the forces fighting back against white supremacy.

Sunster

I see. I think she will say something because I just really respect her. If she says it was all satire, I will take it as that and I'm fine. This isn't the time to fight amongst ourselves.

Fey's response to criticism warranted or unwarranted is usually, "idc"

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This thread has become yet another example of the recent trend of threads where people just rage at each other for pages, toeing the line between behaving like a rational person and accusing anyone who disagrees with them a Nazi. This subject may have been valuable to talk about, but not when people are acting like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom