• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tina Fey on Weekend Update on Protesting After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The thread confused me. At the end when she says "treat rallies like x, don't show up", are people saying she:

a. is making fun of those people who decide to not show up / do nothing and is insulting passivity, or
b. is actually saying don't show up and people on twitter are upset at her for telling people to not do anything

combine42

Neo Member
The thread confused me. At the end when she says "treat rallies like x, don't show up", are people saying she:

a. is making fun of those people who decide to not show up / do nothing and is insulting passivity, or
b. is actually saying don't show up and people on twitter are upset at her for telling people to not do anything
Yes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yikes. Seems like a lot of folks totally missed the joke. It wasn't literal...

Alucard

Banned

Yeah, I'm not sure which one it is, and I think that's what's making this difficult to process/criticize. I hope it's a and not b, though I feel that option c (this being a commentary on how helpless many people feel and don't know how to process events right now) might be another thing to consider.

b and c aren't good options right now, though.

Mr. X

She says I hope they try to come to NYC so drag queens cam stomp them out, then proceeds to stress eat while ranting. In case there was confusion, she makes that movie joke about not showing up to a good movie with 2 female leads. I THINK SHE WAS SAYING SHOW UP NOT STAY HOME AND EAT.

manakel

People are legitimately angry at this and outraged that she isn't advocating people placing themselves in highly volatile, dangerous situations. I've seen everything.

Zero²

Has anyone ever like... watched SNL or Weekend Update before?

It's not a platform like Last Week Tonight where they seriously give advice on how to deal with real world issues.

It's a sketch comedy show.

Do you seriously think Tina's advice on how to tackle the Nazi issue is to ignore it and eat cake. It's a joke. On a comedy show.
This person gets it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the joke here is that she doesn't have the answers, feels powerless, and is suggesting something inane.

It's fine to think the bit isn't funny, but like half of the posts in here obviously don't even understand the joke they are railing against.

Maybe some of you guys should get back to fighting Nazis instead of trying to tear down a nice liberal woman.

Stoop Man

Standing up for what's right is not wrong.

Better to stand up for what you believe in than hide hoping that it will all go away.

I think there may be a middle ground between enabling nazis and literally murdering them. You can stand up against white supremacy and bigotry without literally murdering them. The counter protesters in Charlottesville did exactly that. They exposed the alt-right for what it really was without throwing the first punch (or bullet, despite the presence of rifles.)

Tina Fey could never be the left in a million years. She is a rich fuck who doesn't understand shit.

I know this person is banned, but this type of thinking is no better than some people saying Colin Kaepernick is rich of playing football, why are you protesting?

On topic: Did anyone find the imagery of how Che and Tiny was eating the cake, but Colin didnt? How minorities are eating the American cake, but the white male at one point was confused as how this would do anything? It's deeper than the jokes. The skit was genius on many levels. And the 6'4'' black man drag queen joke was funny, personal opinion.

The overall skit wasn't supposed to be taken literal (from what I can tell), but to be symbolic. Hell, some of the jokes was just stating fact.

MRW when Tina mentioned Native Americans getting shot by rubber bullets for protesting peacefully on their own land, but white nationalists who aren't from Virginia or Charlottesville(sp?) come in a violent protest (which was deemed later unlawful during the same day) was able to do their thing with the least possible resistance from officers.

tenor.gif

I'm only speaking for myself on the next part, but she said in the skit, I was thinking about in some degree. Amazing skit.

It's the symbolism folks.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think people should show up and I also loved this bit.

Sunster

has Fey written anything for that show? she's only credited as creator, never as writer.

She does but that episode it turns out was written by Sam Means. It's her show though, she saw it before it aired and said okie. I'm not saying she's a horrible person. That was just a strange episode. lol

thefro

I don't think anyone complaining about this actually watched the bit.

The political rant mixed with stress-eating sheet cake was the funny part. And there's some good points about "google Trump bonwit teller" and comparing Standing Rock to allowing the Nazis to march armed to the teeth.

lcbrus

Holy fucking shit how are so many of you not seeing the joke?

I feel like either people just saw a headline and got outraged rather than watching any of the sketch, or you're just idiots.

EDIT:

• Tells white guys screaming "take our country back" that "It's not our country, we stole it from the native Americans"
  • Shoot at peaceful protesters at Standing Rock, let chinless turds (Nazis) march with automatic weapons
  • Shits on anyone trying that both sides false equivalency by pointing out that one side is literal Nazis and Klansmen and it wasn't the left that drove the car into the crowd and killed someone.
  • Points out how independent militias and those nutjobs are terrifying for black people
  • Calls out Paul Ryan for being a pussy and calls Trump a racist

It's SO obvious. Stop being so fucking dumb.

This is what I got from it as well. I guess it might've been too subtle.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
at the very least this wasn't the best joke to make at the moment.
Actually it's quite on point... captures the relevant feeling of "wtf is happening" and that sense of helplessness, where you don't know what you can even do about any of it, while also demonstrating that doing nothing and burying your head in the sand (or cake) isn't the most constructive, healthy response. There's a duality to the joke that makes it very poignant. It was a great sketch imo.

Idk I'm surprised by the negative response... it was pretty obvious joke so many are missing. Disturbing... I'm suddenly feeling like eating a sheetcake now.

After some thought, I have concluded we can have our cake and eat it too.

We will counter-protest and rally for progress but, also, eat birthday cake. Is it your birthday? That doesn't matter. No longer will we suffer the birthdays of the few: this cake belongs to the people.

Throughout history, confections and sweets have been tantamount to the methods of the revolutionary. Where would the French be without the Great Crème Brûlée of 1789? Would we Americans have ever declared our independence if not for The Boston Tea Party, where Boston Cream Pie was served for the first time? Throughout history, the proletariat has had sugar in their stomachs and fire in their hearts.

This is history. We must band together. May our revolution be written in recipes. A corner piece for all!

She says I hope they try to come to NYC so drag queens cam stomp them out, then proceeds to stress eat while ranting. In case there was confusion, she makes that movie joke about not showing up to a good movie with 2 female leads. I THINK SHE WAS SAYING SHOW UP NOT STAY HOME AND EAT.

I posted earlier but I don't think things are so cut and dry.

The only part of the video she doesn't insert a joke is when she says all sane American's should stay at home and let the Nazi's scream into an empty space to which the crowd cheers and she celebrates.

You could interpret it as her making fun of white moderates including the entire audience for "missing the joke" or you might see that as switching the context of the joke to simply being that people are powerless (as the government do nothing) so they need to binge eat and scream at cake because it's better than counter protesting and risking another terrorist attack.

This is what I got from it as well. I guess it might've been too subtle.

I watched the whole thing, I really love Tina Fey, the confusion comes in, for me at least, in that she legit seems to be telling people to not give Nazis the time of day, to stay safe and not put themselves into a violent situation. Her heart is in the right place for sure, but I don't think she meant it as a joke but again maybe I totally misread it.

Sunster

Actually it's quite on point... captures the relevant feeling of "wtf is happening" and that sense of helplessness, where you don't know what you can even do about any of it, while also demonstrating that doing nothing and burying your head in the sand (or cake) isn't the most constructive, healthy response. There's a duality to the joke that makes it very poignant. It was a great sketch imo.

Idk I'm surprised by the negative response
... it was pretty obvious joke so many are missing. Disturbing... I'm suddenly feeling like eating a sheetcake now.

people are on edge and tensions are very high so any joke no matter how well crafted is going to be tricky. I don't think it was a horrible joke and I also don't think it's particularly skillful behavior to insult the people who didn't enjoy it. Not talking to you directly.

manakel

By this logic, the US should never have gotten involved in WW2.
You mean when Pearl Harbor was bombed which sparked the US entering the war? 🤔 And nevertheless, going to war to support our allies and stop heinous things being done is completely different than purposefully interjecting yourself into extremely dangerous situations with people who have no value for human life different than their own. Don't get me wrong, I think the counter protesters at Charlottesville were extremely courageous and I'm thankful for what they did because it brought nationwide attention to what's going on.. but I know the danger that comes along with that, and I wouldn't purposely place myself in that situation where my safety could potentially be at risk. There's other ways I can have an active voice and advocate for social justice without getting in screaming/mace spraying matches with literal nazis, as much as I'd like to.

Didn't you get the memo? Not doing that makes you a Nazi sympathizer.
Right?

Koomaster

The only comedic part here was her eating the sheetcake. She is deadly serious and in a sober manner tells people not to show up to counter protests. People are getting confused because there are comedic elements of the skit, but not everything is comedy. Unless her saying that Nazis are morons is supposed to not be taken seriously or her heart is with Charlottesville is something that's supposed to be funny????

"UVA is a beautiful school!" OMG Haha Hilarious!
"Nazis are morons!" Whoa girl, so funny, lol!
"Senseless violence, my heart is with Charlottesville!" ROTFLMAO this is just too good!!!1

phanphare

Banned
The only comedic part here was her eating the sheetcake. She is deadly serious and in a sober manner tells people not to show up to counter protests. People are getting confused because there are comedic elements of the skit, but not everything is comedy. Unless her saying that Nazis are morons is supposed to not be taken seriously or her heart is with Charlottesville is something that's supposed to be funny????

"UVA is a beautiful school!" OMG Haha Hilarious!
"Nazis are morons!" Whoa girl, so funny, lol!
"Senseless violence, my heart is with Charlottesville!" ROTFLMAO this is just too good!!!1

the whole thing is a bit

kmax

I think there may be a middle ground between enabling nazis and literally murdering them. You can stand up against white supremacy and bigotry without literally murdering them. The counter protesters in Charlottesville did exactly that. They exposed the alt-right for what it really was without throwing the first punch (or bullet, despite the presence of rifles.)

The only people I've seen that are talking about murder are the ones that are trying to discredit people from standing up to nazis.

This is like when Republicans believe The Onion. Some of you guys think SNL's Weekend Update is the actual news.

Tina Fey can shut the hell up

If she isn't advocating murder in the street some on this forum will be pissed

I don't agree with her take of "don't show up to fight Nazis"

Fuck that.

Exactly.

A big part of this issue is "hide and let them scream into the void" that shit does NOT work. Putting real consequences out there, marching against them, showing them you aren't afraid of their shit, etc. That's resisting. That's sticking up for what's right. That's showing the public how it's done.

When you continously sit inside and become inactive, they win. They get to trample minorities and run into women. With no barrier of resistance, they get to recruit, build, and get bigger. Things get more realized, more powerful, and start snowballing.

They've been screaming into the void for the longest, and found each other. That's the problem. We let this shit boil on too long without stopping it. Putting cake in your ass and plugging your ears isn't going to stop anything they do. They are dangerous, they are shitheads, and they have shown they will attack. Tina Fey's hot takes are a "mean well" sort of thing, but are completely stupid in our current climate. Now is not the time to baby the issue.

The problem is, she's not being ironic. Or at least, if she is, she did a horrible job of doing so. So she's making a joke about a current situation that's pretty fucked up. And that's fine - comedians can do that. But people can rightfully give her heat for it because it's braindead as fuck to say "avoid Nazis :)"

Not saying everyone needs to start getting into fistfights, but inactivity is dumb and bullshit and kind of (most likely) the reason we got here.

WOW This must be really damning..

*clicks on video to find Tina Fey eating a sheet cake.*

Koomaster

the whole thing is a bit
So you are saying when she says 'I love Charlottesville' - that part is a 'bit' and is meant to be taken funny? You're saying she doesn't love Charlottesville because it would be funny to do so?

Nothing she said is meant to be taken seriously/literally, despite the sober tone she takes in parts.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Felt like a pretty clear "have your cake and eat it too" commentary. You can't simply sit at home and decry the terribleness of White Supremacy and Nazis marching in the streets to yourself and just expect it to go away.

A lot of people are appalled by what's been going on but when it comes down to it they pull a both sides or law and order stance when it comes to actually confronting these shitheels. They want these guys to go away, but they don't want to rock the boat or do anything that might inconvenience themselves in order to do it.

The people who are saying the jokes where about Nazis and how to combat them by stress eating are not thinking hard enough.

Focus on the state of the cake, the American cake.

Notice as how more fucked up it looks as shes eating more because she has to yell at it while eating it? She does this every time she says another fucked up thing about it. By the end of the skit, it's a fucking mess.

All of this shit about Native American protesters, issues with cops and black people, Nazis, white nationalism, people being too pussy to call Donny John and his racist, white nationalist supporter self is why she continues eating away at the American flag and making it look worse.

Things that aren't morally right is happening in this country and she sees it for what it is and is eating away at what the American flag should represent. Until it's something sane people, sane Americans can see. Why do you think she's been doing this once a week (in alignment with the joke)?

If anything, she represents all sane Americans who think USA is going down a shit hole.

Now I can't possibly make it more plain than this. If you still don't understand the skit, there's no saving you.

The cherry on top was that she only buy from Jewish and Black owned bakeries. Support the victims who still try to uphold American values through your time and money.

For fucks sake I must be crazy. how has this flown past people's heads?

So you are saying when she says 'I love Charlottesville' - that part is a 'bit' and is meant to be taken funny? You're saying she doesn't love Charlottesville because it would be funny to do so?

Nothing she said is meant to be taken seriously/literally, despite the sober tone she takes in parts.

A joke evolves over the course of the telling. A punchline is often a subversion of the things that came before it.

phanphare

Banned

I'm saying that the whole thing was a bit and the beginning is meant to play into that

not everything has to be a one liner for it to play into a larger bit

I dunno, I feel like the whole thing was pretty obvious but it seems like a lot of people missed it

Dre3001

I completely get the joke but think it falls flat because of the seriousness of the situation and how the ridiculous situation she described is exactly what is happening so it kinda hit close to home.

is It really that hard to understand humor these days? it's not a matter of black and white, it's a matter of understanding the message

both serious and joke messages can be granted in the same skit, it depends on how you take them

irony and sarcasm can't be that hard to understand, unless people is heavily influenced by the fact that it should be obvious, borderline fake, for it to be funny

Jokes are not black and white, jokes are not either good or bad, jokes can actually give a message

I know, shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom