• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Finding it difficult to see the appeal in Ronin, but maybe I'm wrong.

For instance, how is Ronin supposed to deal with Scorch? Scorch can blanket the floor around him with fire, and scorches ultimate will instant-kill Ronin.

Scorch is the other close-range Titan so they're competing for the same space, so it's not as if the matchup happens infrequently. Unless I'm missing something, Scorch should win almost every time. More health, more damage output, less mobility but Ronin doesn't benefit by getting close to Scorch as scorch can just blanket the floor with fire to surpress Ronin's advance. The only chance Ronin has is if he phases through Scorches fire, but even then Scorch can just dash back, use firewall and place another incendary trap for a setup that will kill Ronin incredibly quickly.

Scorch is a one of the best counters to Ronin, so your argument is true. When I see a scorch as Ronin, I will 'annoy' him, but I'll never attempt to go 1-on-1 unless I have support. Specifically, other titans to distract him.

One of the biggest mistake people make on Ronin is only using his sword once you close the distance. His sword does the SAME melee damage as a regular Titan. Use the shotgun! Ronin's shotgun has incredible damage.

The sword only does more damage with sword core.

aravuus

The titans seem fine to me except for Ion. I laugh almost every time I see someone using one. She just seems like shit. I've never lost more than a bar of health dropping one from full. I'm not sure why her rifle drains energy instead of powering up the rest of her kit like Tone.

I've had some solid games with it. Just now dropped 6 enemy titans with it in a round of attrition.

But I should definitely give the other titans a try too.

Menitta

Scorch is a one of the best counters to Ronin, so your argument is true. When I see a scorch as Ronin, I will 'annoy' him, but I'll never attempt to go 1-on-1 unless I have support. Specifically, other titans to distract him.

One of the biggest mistake people make on Ronin is only using his sword once you close the distance. His sword does the SAME melee damage as a regular Titan. Use the shotgun! Ronin's shotgun has incredible damage.

The sword only does more damage with sword core.

Jeez are you serious!? That's so disappointing.

RedFury

Hmm... while i understand and agree to the extent of the role/tactics of Scorch... that doesn't change the fact that Legion is OP as is he currently is.

Try last titan standing. The common makeup i see now is one Ronin to harass, bait and funnel and then Legions and a Tone or two. A team of Legions can slowly close you in and split the map and force you where they want.

Of course there are counters and strats etc. but that Legion needs either less health, less ammo in the weapon or to output less overall damage.
Thats what I'm talking about my entire team goes one way, I flank the other and I hit them from the back or side and cut off the lane at the same time. Now they are funneled to my team all while taking shots from the thermite launcher and trying to avoid traps and flame walls. You are correct in that it was most of the team comps I saw. After a defeat though most teams I played changed comp to try and counter leaving only 1 or 2 legions or tones.

Arrrammis

Got a question.

Thinking about putting this on hard mode.

Do the enemies become bullet sponges on hard? Cus' I'd hate that...

Not really. It's much better than normal IMO, you won't tear through everything, but nothing fells unnaturally strong. Normal guys can take a few body shots, the robots can take a fair amount of punishment if you don't hit weak points, but snipers and the like won't one-shot you, which is nice.

Sou Da

I'm not sure if that's true but it makes sense, there used to be a Titan customization called big punch and it pretty much showed that in TF1 even with regenerating shields that constantly having a boosted melee was OP as hell. W+F for days.

Using Ion's vortex shield against Legion/Tone makes me feel like:
Y0ntMYD.jpg

Ion's wonderful actually, and she is a strong pick when you had enough of Tone and Legion's bullshit.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

If not the same, not enough damage to make it better than the shotgun. Save the swordplay for when you have sword core, you will absolutely destroy. I've gone 1v2 with swordcore and phase dash and came out on top. It's all about mobility

Feeroper

So what are the populations like on the console platforms?

I picked this up on PS4 and haven't had a problem finding a game yet, but I am curious to hear if one platform is more popular than the other. I had assumed PS4 would be due to the bigger install base, but I have heard Xbox has a bigger online population so far but I didn't see any reference to numbers.

Does anyone else have any more hard data on this?

Yeah... though if it did more damage it might be a little OP. I know as a Ronin 3-dash, dual stun user i can dance, phase and annoy people without taking much of any damage 1v1... if i could do better melee damage i'd melt most solo titans with Ronin.

dankir

People.... the super details stat tracking from TF1 is coming to this game. Everything is being tracked. If you never played TF1 then you should know everything single thing you do is being tracked.

JonnyKong

Man, did anybody else really struggle against
Viper
in the campaign, or am I that terrible? I know it's the latter :( It took me about 8 attempts to kill him.

Arrrammis

Man, did anybody else really struggle against Viper in the campaign, or am I that terrible? I know it's the latter :( It took me about 8 attempts to kill him.

Might want to spoiler the name, but it's not really that big of a spoiler.

Yeah, hardest boss by far for me. I was so happy when I realized that
They give you a checkpoint once you get him down to half health.

dankir

Respawn will support this game like crazy - they did so much for the original one.

I'm positive more Titans are coming, there's so much room left on the Titan selection screen. Frontier Defense, new maps, new skins, stat tracking, etc.

I hope we get O/S voices to choose from as well. S.I.D was the shit. I'm very surprised Titan's don't have boosts, it took a while but we eventually got Titan burn cards in the first game.

EL CUCO

Didnt expect to be having so much fun in all the game modes. I really like the Variety playlist. Some matches are taking a bit longer to start up tho. Hopefully Respawn moves the playlist to the front page.

OK, so I've changed my mind about the lack of shields for titans. I think I might like the change. It keeps the stakes high and as I've gotten better, I haven't been as annoyed with it. However, I dont think I'll change my mind about the third person animations, I still miss how it was done in the first game. Also, I really dislike a few of the maps. I'm not into the ones with such large open spaces tbh.

Also, someone before ITT mentioned that it feels like a sonar is going off constantly-I agree with this.

Strider

Just finished the campaign...

I think it's a little bit over hyped on Gaf but it definitely is very good and worth a play through for sure.

Given the hours I've played of mp (which has been amazing so far) and the quality of the SP TF2 will probably be my GOTY.

dankir

OK, so I've changed my mind about the lack of shields for titans. I think I might like the change. It keeps the stakes high and as I've gotten better, I haven't been as annoyed with it. However, I dont think I'll change my mind about the third person animations, I still miss how it was done in the first game. Also, I really dislike a few of the maps. I'm not into the ones with such large open spaces tbh.

Also, someone before ITT mentioned that it feels like a sonar is going off constantly-I agree with this.

Yeah the matches run much quicker, LTS rounds are only 3 minutes and I like that in the last 30 seconds all titans are revealed, makes thing more exciting.

MrNelson

Banned
So what are the populations like on the console platforms?

I picked this up on PS4 and haven't had a problem finding a game yet, but I am curious to hear if one platform is more popular than the other. I had assumed PS4 would be due to the bigger install base, but I have heard Xbox has a bigger online population so far but I didn't see any reference to numbers.

Does anyone else have any more hard data on this?

I'm curious about this as well. I rented it on PS4 to see if the full product could get me to change my mind after the tech test let me down (it worked), but playing with the PS4 controller just feels....wrong. I played TF1 on Xbox after the PC community died, so playing bumper jumper with an Xbox controller feels normal, whereas playing it with a PS4 controller feels odd. If the difference is significant enough I'll probably go Xbox, but then I would have to renew my Live sub.

Then again, I could take that money and just buy a CronusMax for my PS4.

I just can't get over how much I enjoy this game. I'm just thinking of all the other things Respawn could add to the game to make it even more epic.

Anyone else think a horde/firefight type mode would be awesome? That's the only thing this game is missing is some sort of coop experience.

JonnyKong

I do feel the campaign dragged a little bit towards the end, instead of having those unique and fun levels we got during the middle, it turned into a sloggish gun fest.

Still definitely one of the best campaigns I've played in a long time though.

Now to take my pitiful skills online..

I just can't get over how much I enjoy this game. I'm just thinking of all the other things Respawn could add to the game to make it even more epic.

Anyone else think a horde/firefight type mode would be awesome? That's the only thing this game is missing is some sort of coop experience.

Well it was in TF1 and Zampella said in a tweet (cant find it) that it's not coming "for launch" implying it's coming... so fingers crossed!

I stopped playing TF1 by that time so i never really got into it but excited for the possibility in TF2 for sure.

So, I've heard that the PC player base is pretty poor right now, is that so? Is it bad enough that I should consider getting it on PS4 instead of PC, despite having a PC that can probably run this bad boy at maximum settings? Or should I be fine getting the PC version?

Feeroper

I'm curious about this as well. I rented it on PS4 to see if the full product could get me to change my mind after the tech test let me down (it worked), but playing with the PS4 controller just feels....wrong. I played TF1 on Xbox after the PC community died, so playing bumper jumper with an Xbox controller feels normal, whereas playing it with a PS4 controller feels odd. If the difference is significant enough I'll probably go Xbox, but then I would have to renew my Live sub.

Then again, I could take that money and just buy a CronusMax for my PS4.

I had the same feeling too - played TF1 on Xbox and picked this up on PS4, but the controller feels a little off overall since I was used to it on Xbox before. Im looking forward to see what kind of difference the PS4 Pro makes but Im considering picking this up on Xbox.

E92 M3

I'm positive more Titans are coming, there's so much room left on the Titan selection screen. Frontier Defense, new maps, new skins, stat tracking, etc.

I hope we get O/S voices to choose from as well. S.I.D was the shit. I'm very surprised Titan's don't have boosts, it took a while but we eventually got Titan burn cards in the first game.

Yes, I want my Japanese and Russian voices back lol.

Gator86

They should announce their DLC as soon as possible to show that the game is getting support and will have new things for players to enjoy soon. I hope they're aggressive enough to capitalize on the good reviews and great impressions from people who did pick this up. I'm not sure what they have to gain from playing coy with their post-release plans.

The scoring on Amped hardpoint seems really messed up. My playstyle doesn't fit with what gets me a lot of score, and it gets a little tiring to find yourself utterly unrewarded for your contribution.

For instance at the start of the game I'll immediately rush B, often pushing the upper boundary of B or flanking it so as to kill enemies that think the same and also approach. Killing those opponents I often finish the first minute of the game with 3 to 6 kills (or dead, but it's worth the risk).

Now sometimes in the heat of all this, because the objective is contested on and off, and because it's easier to kill people if they're not facing you, that doesn't result in me capturing B. I clear people off it, but don't necessarily cap it, my team roll in and snag the cap while I try to hold any enemies of the front of B until I die or often I spawn my Titan so that I can push aggressively and prevent our opponents from getting any ground on B.

In this instance I will end up with a fraction of the score of my team mates. Most of my kills count for nothing because I kill the opponents before they get onto the objective, and I forgo the first capture to push B, so my team mates often end up with 2 caps, and I end up with between 0 and 1.

The big issue really is that it doesn't reward kills that are close by to the objective. For instance in a game earlier I actually managed to get a quad spray by guarding the entrance to B from the side of the opposing team. Killing 2/3 of the team right before they began contesting or capturing the objective is arguably an incredibly influential objective play, yet receives no score reward.

Ultimately I'm not going to change my playstyle because the game isn't rewarding me because at the end of the day I'm playing for the win not the score, but it would be nice to get a little recognition. It's awkward finishing at the bottom of the team with the most kills, it makes it look like I was running around doing my own thing but that isn't the case.

Not only that, but Titan kills should yield a considerable objective score (they do not). Titan's are incredibly influential in controlling the objectives that lie within open spaces and therefore any Titan kill should be recognised as valuable.

At the moment I feel that the score system guides people in a negative way. It promotes repeated capping and displacement of objectives and promotes reactive rather than proactive defence. My team find themselves rewarded for flanking and capping A, even though that causes spawn displacement and gives the opposing team C, which we have already amped.

Being hard to use is part of the problem right now I believe. Hopefully as people get more experience we will branch out from the Legions, Tones and Ions. Those three classes are pretty easy to play. I am guilty, I love Tone. She just rocks but I need to give the others a chance, the biggest problem is that you dont get a lot of time in Northstar and Ronin because their health is so low.

I'd say the biggest problem with Northstar is that her damage output at range isn't altogether unmatched. At mid-long Ion can threaten her with his beam and primary fire and due to her low health she loses a lot more than the other Titans. She'll certainly win against most Titan's at range but only by a hair, and then she's quickly taken down by someone else. Alternatively, she gets wiped in seconds by anyone that catches her on a flank, overall she isn't worth the risk unless you know you will have team mates with their Titan's, preventing that from happening.

I must admit that it would be annoying if she was especially effective though. Getting sniped by long-ranged Titan's doesn't seem like it would be that entertaining for everyone else but her.

I had the same feeling too - played TF1 on Xbox and picked this up on PS4, but the controller feels a little off overall since I was used to it on Xbox before. Im looking forward to see what kind of difference the PS4 Pro makes but Im considering picking this up on Xbox.

I think as you say you were just used to it on XBOX.

I use Kontrolfreaks on my PS4 controller though, not sure how much difference that makes to the overall feel but I certainly wouldn't play without them. Accuracy and game feel aside, my thumbs slip on the regular sticks which causes me to miss and die from time to time.

FeD.nL

So, I've heard that the PC player base is pretty poor right now, is that so? Is it bad enough that I should consider getting it on PS4 instead of PC, despite having a PC that can probably run this bad boy at maximum settings? Or should I be fine getting the PC version?

Played this weekend religiously and I had no trouble finding games. Highest I've seen it reach was 15k concurrent players. More than enough for fast queues.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, that's what I said.

I don't understand your issue.

Respawn wants it to be Full/Full or Limited/Limited -- both are basically the same.

But Limited/Full or Full/Limited is how you get crushed blacks or whites etc.

There's nothing odd about what they're claiming.

On PC I started this game out using a controller, even in multi-player, then eventually switched to m+kb. Totally just realized I can just pick up the controller when I switch to the Titan as I think that's the optimal way to play it. All the weapons and abilities being spread out on the keyboard doesn't really work for me.

MGrant

Everyone calling this game R2 to stop the confusion with Team Fortress 2, but here I am thinking of Resistance 2 every time they do that.

EL CUCO

Has everyone moved away from the Grapple now? I remember during the tech test that's all anyone would use. Heck, I'm still using it but I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on the other cool stuff.

E92 M3

Has everyone moved away from the Grapple now? I remember during the tech test that's all anyone would use. Heck, I'm still using it but I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on the other cool stuff.

I use camo because of so many people just sitting in one spot. Some of the maps do not promote fast movement.

Top Bottom