• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm playing on PC, and I just installed it today. Is anyone having some really serious loading and lag issues? I'm playing the single player mode, and whenever I start a level, my character floating in the environment before the state intro begins. Also, combat often stops to crawl after I throw a grenade, use rockets, or run around too quickly. I could sometimes be left standing around waiting for the game to load or get back into the action for up to a minute.

It's bizarre, and I'm wondering if my system is starting to show its age. But has anyone else encountered these issues?

HelloMeow

One of the things that gets me with that map is that those black jagged rock formations are everywhere and makes it real difficult to discern what you can actually use to consistently wallrun. Some of those jagged rocks wallrun fine and some trip you up real bad and the ambiguity fucking sucks.

The other thing is the verticality is awful. You can't flank from above because the action in that map largely goes down in two large narrow tubes where people can see pilots wallrunning from a mile away and there's barely anything to duck into on those upper levels.

What gets me about that in particular is that TF1 had a great map with narrow corridors called Rise, and it was perfect because the upper levels were pinched in and narrower for Pilots to move through without having a giant target on their back, while also having various windows in those upper levels for them to slip through, whereas the lower areas were spacious for the Titans.

Another consequence of the flatter structure of these maps I guess.

The maps are generally more open and flat and the pilots are much more visible, especially when wallrunning/jumping around. As a result you get picked off more easily by other players who are camping, or even just playing it like a regular shooter.

This wasn't as much the case in the first game, where you could survive just by moving around. There were so many routes to take and places to take cover while moving around fast. A lot of that's gone.

Vipu

Banned
If you like Attrition or Bounty Hunt you'll have no problems finding a game really fast. Everything else is dead.

In what region? I have never had any issues to find any mode in EU.
CTF might take a bit longer like 1-2min but you can just join some GAF network or whatever and do the invite thing there for faster games.

The Dude

I really miss the original tbh.

--

Watching Gamesager play makes me upset at how CoD-like this version is. You can't compare R2 to Quake in the slightest.

The movement was the one thing that allowed me to perform in and our of a Titan. With those things gone (or irrelevant because the change in abilities) it doesn't matter how well I do on the scoreboard, I just never feel as awesome.

I really think the slight hopping, despite that I can do it, is a byproduct of that sort of moment not supposed to be part of the game. The air-control thing on controllers is very unfortunate.

I could be wrong but I thought you were someone who said it wasn't cod like yesterday when I was saying that. If I'm wrong I apologize but just thought you were denying that.

I've come to enjoy it more but I definitely still feel like I'm playing a rendition of cod when not in my titan.

Sullichin

Grapple is great, you can do awesome things with it. Movement is even better. But looking at the points I would probably say that other abilities are more useful.

I thought, why would I ever want to choose anything but grapple? But I soon switched to invisibility and I found it way more useful. I just unlocked phase shift and yeah that's gotta be the most useful one. Although I haven't even tried stim.

The Dude

There's nothing wrong with this game, in fact it's a superb game, I just don't think online shooters are for me anymore which is a shame. When I play games I do it to have fun, and all I feel when I play games like this is anger and frustration. There's nothing worse than somebody shooting you in seemingly one shot whilst it takes me ages to kill somebody, or people constantly sneaking up behind you.

I've had a tonne of fun with the campaign, but after playing the multiplayer tonight for a couple of hours I can't really be bothered to play anymore. I'm not finding the unlocks exciting enough, nor am I finding the maps particularly interesting or memorable if I have to be honest.

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. Peace out.

Have you played BF1? Honestly it's the best shooter imho the last handful of years.. Different pacing and just a totally different style. Might be something you dig

Menitta

I thought, why would I ever want to choose anything but grapple? But I soon switched to invisibility and I found it way more useful. I just unlocked phase shift and yeah that's gotta be the most useful one. Although I haven't even tried stim.

I found that sometimes I can see cloaked pilots more than if they weren't. Like it sticks out more, if that makes sense. I just found the grappling hook the most useful because there are more applications with it. I hate phase shift. I'm completely disoriented after using it.

Mechazawa

The maps are generally more open and flat and the pilots are much more visible, especially when wallrunning/jumping around. As a result you get picked off more easily by other players who are camping, or even just playing it like a regular shooter.

This wasn't as much the case in the first game, where you could survive just by moving around. There were so many routes to take and places to take cover while moving around fast. A lot of that's gone.

For sure. It seems to be a general benefit to Titans too since they don't have to worry as much about being picked on from Pilots that can just recede back into the honeycomb level design.

I'm actually really interested to see how Angel City's release is going to play out. If the map is more or less the same, I think that's where the concessions Respawn made to other mechanics are going to really come to light. Poking at shieldless Titans in a level that has more tightly condensed alleys/roofs/windows to slip in and out of could be...disastrous.

The Dude

I found that sometimes I can see cloaked pilots more than if they weren't. Like it sticks out more, if that makes sense. I just found the grappling hook the most useful because there are more applications with it. I hate phase shift. I'm completely disoriented after using it.

I was gonna say that I think cloaking needs a little more transparency, because Yea I mean it's someone's pretty useless at times as it is clear as day someone is cloaked

Grappling is generally garbage but the animation of grappling into a melee kill almost makes up for it. I'm sticking to stims, they're very helpful for getting around in hardpoint.

Menitta

I was gonna say that I think cloaking needs a little more transparency, because Yea I mean it's someone's pretty useless at times as it is clear as day someone is cloaked

I'd say part of the problem is the fact that active camo has been around for a while and most of us have been trained to just see it. Though there are moments where I do lose someone cloaked during a titan fight. Like, when you eject cloaked, you're gonna be fine.

Izuna

Banned
I could be wrong but I thought you were someone who said it wasn't cod like yesterday when I was saying that. If I'm wrong I apologize but just thought you were denying that.

I've come to enjoy it more but I definitely still feel like I'm playing a rendition of cod when not in my titan.

It's nowhere near CoD, but if there was a spectrum, it's not far-fetched to call this more "CoD-like".

Before I was commenting on how Respawn allowed players who expected that gameplay to be competitive and feel like they understand the game. By doing this they removed the antithesis of that.

Of course, it's far more complicated than that, but a game being "grounded" or CoD-like are synonymous from the point of view of how the movement has been worsened as a strategy.

--

For example, you wouldn't point at me and say I was huge, but if were a student in kindergarten I definitely have more hugeness about me than the other kids.

Animator

How is grapple garbage? J I have seen some grapple player do amazing things with it and dominate the scoreboard. Most people still do not know you can cancel out of grapple anytime by hitting ctrl.

If I wasn't in love with phase shift I would run grapple on all my builds.

The real question is does anyone actually use Holo Pilot? That shit is pure useless IMHO lol. Phase shift, stim or shield. Hell sonar is useful too. And grapple can be used to pull of some odd movements that work. Grappling the ground in mid air can throw people off etc.

The Dude

It's nowhere near CoD, but if there was a spectrum, it's not far-fetched to call this more "CoD-like".

Before I was commenting on how Respawn allowed players who expected that gameplay to be competitive and feel like they understand the game. By doing this they removed the antithesis of that.

Of course, it's far more complicated than that, but a game being "grounded" or CoD-like are synonymous from the point of view of how the movement has been worsened as a strategy.

--

For example, you wouldn't point at me and say I was huge, but if were a student in kindergarten I definitely have more hugeness about me than the other kids.

But how can it be nowhere near cod but cod like?

Arrrammis

Hey all, I know a few folks still seem iffy on Bounty Hunt mode, here's a game I played earlier in BH that I'm pretty satisfied with (ended with $2999). I just uploaded from PS4, so the quality isn't perfect, and I don't have any real commentary, but just seeing how other people usually helps me in places where I struggle.
https://youtu.be/i2HW6KcJVDQ

Also, the black hole grenade can prevent someone from ejecting. In this game, I tried to nuclear eject, but someone had stuck a black hole thing to my Titan, so as soon as I ejected, it pulled me right back in, and I died to the explosion :p

P.S. please forgive my A-walling shenanigans, it's just so satisfying facing a Titan or pilot head-on and being invincible for a while.

OVDRobo

Grappling is generally garbage but the animation of grappling into a melee kill almost makes up for it. I'm sticking to stims, they're very helpful for getting around in hardpoint.

I'd say it depends on the mode. Grappling is great for rodeoing titans and general mobility (and just feels really great when mastered), but it's a double-edged sword in that you can fly straight past an enemy who will just ambush and finish you.

Stim is really awesome for just gunning for a single person that you happen to spot or getting the hell out of there if you take a couple of bullets but the amount of times I've gotten killed while running into a wall desperately jumping at a ledge while moving at Sonic speeds is getting a little too high.

Cloak annoys the hell out of me because I get ambushed way too often by people I can't see.

Phase shift is good but you need to be real good at anticipating where your enemy will be when you unshift or you're just going to get destroyed, and you don't even have any added mobility like that gained with stim.

I've got to admit that I'm not liking the customization in this game all that much, particularly coming from Overwatch as a basis. Having my appearance locked to the ability I'm using and the only things I can do to guns, titans and my pilot is color them in various uninteresting camo isn't all that much.

Gator86

Meanwhile CoD remaster servers have been open for under 1h and there is already over 100k players.

As the people thinking TF2's word of mouth would pull people off COD slowly sink back into their holes.

Respawn should maybe get that road map out by the 4th. Goddamn, I can't get over how stupid this release date was. The management at Respawn are comically inept.

The Dude

Lol to be like It, it has to be somewhat near it... Just sayin

The gunplay in terms of how people can peg someone across a map with an AR or Smg is sheer call of duty type gunplay. Just the way it is man.

But I been over that already as I said I take it for what it is and I'm enjoying it a bit more, it still is more call of duty gaming than any other shooter in terms of comparison..

Izuna

Banned
Lol to be like It, it has to be somewhat near it... Just sayin

The gunplay in terms of how people can peg someone across a map with an AR or Smg is sheer call of duty type gunplay. Just the way it is man.

But I been over that already as I said I take it for what it is and I'm enjoying it a bit more, it still is more call of duty gaming than any other shooter in terms of comparison..

I mean, I don't know how many analogies I'd have to give you for this to make sense.

If you had three games in existence ~ Mario, Battlefield, and Unreal Tournament. Battlefield would be the "Cod-like" from that example. From the way Titanfall 1 is, you can't say Titanfall 2 is "nothing like CoD" because it's predecessor is more so by some margin.

Guys, 1000$/person is the max in the bounty mode?

I've had more. I don't know what the limit itself is.

Menitta

472.gif

Arrrammis

Guys, 1000$/person is the max in the bounty mode?
Huh, nobody ever told me that. Guess I'll have to step down my game XD

But if you're really asking, there's no limit on personal score in bounty hunt. My personal high score is ~3700.
We lost that game, damn it randoms!

The Dude

I mean, I don't know how many analogies I'd have to give you for this to make sense.

If you had three games in existence ~ Mario, Battlefield, and Unreal Tournament. Battlefield would be the "Cod-like" from that example. From the way Titanfall 1 is, you can't say Titanfall 2 is "nothing like CoD" because it's predecessor is more so by some margin.

I've had more. I don't know what the limit itself is.

But the original for whatever reason didn't feel as much like a call of duty game, I believe there were varying degrees and the original felt like it the game was built more around the titans with a touch if gunplay from call of duty. This game feels like it is a more refined call of duty game with titans not really being the sole focus. Because Wall running and sliding is a huge focus, so to me it's like respawn wanted to build on what they feel call of duty should play and feel like. This is the evolution of that vision. It just so happened to be titanfall 2 that becomes that evolution

Izuna

Banned
Okay I love the Archer Rockets. <3

But the original for whatever reason didn't feel as much like a call of duty game, I believe there were varying degrees and the original felt like it the game was built more around the titans with a touch if gunplay from call of duty. This game feels like it is a more refined call of duty game with titans not really being the sole focus. Because Wall running and sliding is a huge focus, so to me it's like respawn wanted to build on what they feel call of duty should play and feel like. This is the evolution of that vision. It just so happened to be titanfall 2 that becomes that evolution

I feel like we agree on principle but not on semantics.

VE3TRO join ussss

With grapple you can fly around a map like crazy, but I really do like cloak.
Pretty much where I'm at right now.

Also don't have enough twitch in me to really make the most out of stim. Cloak is a godsend for avoiding and attacking titans, but am starting to love the grapple, especially on some maps.

Haines

Banned
I spend everyday looking forward to playing this game.

Does anybody play ctf?

Sometimes i wish devs would keep the game modes thinned down so that they arent spread so thin on popularity.

zou

Any way I can disable the sonar/map scan thing (that shows the player outline)? Hated it in TF1, and now I'm being forced to use it because some dumb teammate enabled it. Incredibly distracting.

Sometimes i wish devs would keep the game modes thinned down so that they arent spread so thin on popularity.
Agreed. Maybe fans screwed up by yelling for Attrition. I regret being so vocal about it, especially since Bounty Hunt does feel like a proper and more fun evolution of Attrition.

Top Bottom