• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2's Four Player Coop announced!!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This feels unfair to other games that are feature complete at launch.

Like, Call of Duty could launch without Zombies and with 9 maps and it wouldn't be applauded to adding Zombies and maps from the previous game as free DLC.

It feels like the support has just been taking the game to where a sequel to Titanfall 1 ought to have been, content-wise.

I dunno. I think you might have this a little skew-whiff.

Slixshot

Banned
I really hope we can get some new trophies in here. This seems like a large update. I want a new carrot on the stick to chase.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This is amazing support, and on top of that it's free.

Just saying, if you've had even even the slightest interest in FPS's and somehow haven't picked this up yet - do it now.

There has been whining about games coming out incomplete and having to pay for DLC etc, now's your chance to support a dev that's doing what you all asked for.

jediyoshi

Like, Call of Duty could launch without Zombies and with 9 maps and it wouldn't be applauded to adding Zombies and maps from the previous game as free DLC.

How are those similar whatsoever? COD zombies is already a longstanding thing, this is the second entry to a franchise where the sequel already had more content at launch than the previous did at its end.

Izuna

Banned
Difficulty setting is great too!

Frontier Defense in the first game had difficulty based on the maps (to some extent). I hope RISE Frontier Defense challenge makes it.

OH MY FUCKING GOD I can't contain how happy I am.

tumblr_om2hlhcKGx1si9ssqo1_500.gif

Alienous

I dunno. I think you might have this a little skew-whiff.

Maybe. I guess I'll never know, if you're not going to point anything out.

You mean like advanced warfare did,only they charged you for zombies

If I recall correctly Advanced Warfare had that 'third' mode - a wave-based CO-OP vs. AI mode - at launch. So Zombies, in that game, was the fourth.

I should have been more specific - I don't mean Zombies in particular. I just mean that Call of Duty has a 'third' mode as a standard. If they launched with two, then added the third as free DLC, I don't think there'd be celebration.

? Titanfall 2 launched content compete though. These additions are just that....additions.

That is debatable, I think. Well, every game launches 'content complete'. But Titanfall 2 did launch with less maps than Titanfall 1. It has only recently caught up, in terms of map count.

How are those similar whatsoever? COD zombies is already a longstanding thing, this is the second entry to a franchise where the sequel already had more content at launch than the previous did at its end.

By what metric?

jediyoshi

That is debatable, I think. Well, every game launches 'content complete'. But Titanfall 2 did launch with less maps than Titanfall 1. It has only recently caught up, in terms of map count.

If it's a net zero trade off with a single player campaign, we can agree to disagree on the relative value of these features.

RdN

Great!

I bought the game on Xbox Live's last sale and immediately saw that this mode was missing from the first one.

It'll be a great addition.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe. I guess I'll never know, if you're not going to point anything out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting the game as released was incomplete, and that the stuff they've released after "should've" been in the game from the start. Have I got that right?

I'd suggest that you may have that the wrong way around. The game was released as intended; unless I missed something, I don't believe there is anything to suggest otherwise. The extra content, which can't be stressed enough is both free and (apparently) created post-launch, is in addition to the complete game. I'd suggest the problem lies with the "should've", which is really your set of arbritrary expectations, rather than anything meaningful (I don't mean that maliciously).

Now, you could mention a few missing game modes and maps from TF1, which is your prerogative. Plenty would agree. I'd say that the excellent SP (which likely took up a lot of resources) makes up for it, as well as the excellent free post-launch support.

I find it strange to shit on a game for such fantastic post-launch support because of a personal set of arbritrary standards.

Alienous

If it's a net zero trade off with a single player campaign, we can agree to disagree on the relative value of these features.

I think it's a reasonable expectation that a new mode in a sequel doesn't mean less content in the other modes. That's fairly atypical, I think.

Like, take Splatoon 2, which is a fairly recent example. It added a CO-OP mode and more maps (3 more compared to Splatoon 1 at launch, if you ignore maps from Splatoon 1).

My point being that even with the addition of a story mode Titanfall 2 having ~40% less multiplayer maps at launch when compared to Titanfall 1 should be considered when it comes to their free DLC support, not even to mention the modes (like Frontier Defense) that would have been expected as standard in a sequel.

Anyway, I just find it interesting. It seems to me like a game would benefit from slicing off some of its launch content and delivering it as free DLC later. Of course I don't think Respawn have done that, but it seems like it could be a smart PR move for other games.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a reasonable expectation that a new mode in a sequel doesn't mean less content in the other modes. That's fairly atypical, I think.

Like, take Splatoon 2, which is a fairly recent example. It added a CO-OP mode and more maps (3 more compared to Splatoon 1 at launch, if you ignore maps from Splatoon 1).

My point being that even with the addition of a story mode Titanfall 2 having ~40% less multiplayer maps at launch when compared to Titanfall 1 should be considered when it comes to their free DLC support, not even to mention the modes (like Frontier Defense) that would have been expected as standard in a sequel.

Are Respawn a big studio?

Is the PC community pretty active? I've been wanting to get this game for ages, but it's been on the 'to buy' list while I clear out some other games.

dLMN8R

Titanfall 2 came with one of the best single-player campaigns of all time, and one of the best multiplayer modes of all time.

Now this free DLC will include one of my favorite modes from the original game, but it appears to be significantly enhanced beyond what Frontier Defense was in the original game? So freaking awesome.

And it's all free? Even better.

Top Bottom