• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 60 fps gameplay.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm not a big CoD fan, but I'm not seeing the comparisons to CoD at all. The shooting/gunplay mechanics looks VERY similar, but given that the maps have to be signed for regular players AND mechs, the chances of this being a game that focuses only on close-quarters are pretty low.

Yeah, but the initial map the show leaves me with that impression. If it works out that the final release will have larger sprawling maps then I'll definitely have something to look forward to, but I can't imagine it will be anything to the effect of battlefield or even some classic UT maps. Right now I just see Brink and CoD with mobile armor suits.

WJD

This and Quantum Break are pretty much the only things that could tempt me into shelling out for an Xbox One at the moment.

Calen

They are using their own customized version of source. It would not make sense to tweak an engine and not add support for more threads, especially when you are developing a game for an 8 core console.

Multithreading issues can be some of the most difficult things to fix, so it'd take a lot more than just tweaking an engine to support more threads. So it's probably a good thing we've done a lot more than just tweak an engine...

G_Berry

Banned
Multithreading issues can be some of the most difficult things to fix, so it'd take a lot more than just tweaking an engine to support more threads. So it's probably a good thing we've done a lot more than just tweak an engine...

Im so excited for the game man you have no idea.

I love my twitch shooters. Fast. Fun. No bullet sponges.

Im old school quake 3 and unreal. Loved all the COD's and games like unreal championship which titanfall reminds me a lot of.

Couple of questions. ..

Will it be ready for the xbox launch?
Can we expect a good number of maps? (See COD)
Loads of unlocks for both player and titan?

Cheers!

panda21

Not at all impressed as it seems like a CoD conversion. I suppose if I was into the close quarter encounters that made CoD an industry sweetheart I'd be feeling this game, but the new setting and additional gameplay mechanics don't seem like much a departure from the last several years. This and Destiny are the hat sitting atop Malibu Stacy.

yeah thats the impression i get from this. they've added lots of fancy stuff but when it comes down to it, it just looks like COD multiplayer with tanks (aka WW2 COD with a future skin).

I get the impression it won't hit the right spots for the COD modern wharfare types either.

at least destiny seems to be doing something slightly different with public events and stuff, it seems a lot more fluid. this just looked like a fancy non-interactive intro to a standard COD multiplayer match.

Calen

Im old school quake 3 and unreal. Loved all the COD's and games like unreal championship which titanfall reminds me a lot of.

Couple of questions. ..

Cheers!

I'm Just A Coder (tm) so even if I felt comfortable answering questions about that sort of thing I would just get the answers wrong anyway.

We're definitely making a game that we all want to play the crap out of, though.

Grief.exe

Calen

Do you guys know what platforms you will end up on the PC side?

Origin seems like a give, but what about Steam? A lot of times EA Partners get to choose their DD platform, it doesn't seem to be dictated by EA.

Thanks for answering some questions.

s7evn

Couple of questions. ..

Cheers!

I think they said 2014 last night on GB after hours show, so it's not a launch game. They wouldn't comment on unlocks either.

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/416256218
Interview starts at the 1 hour 17 minute mark

1upmuffin

yeah thats the impression i get from this. they've added lots of fancy stuff but when it comes down to it, it just looks like COD multiplayer with tanks (aka WW2 COD with a future skin).

I get the impression it won't hit the right spots for the COD modern wharfare types either.

at least destiny seems to be doing something slightly different with public events and stuff, it seems a lot more fluid. this just looked like a fancy non-interactive intro to a standard COD multiplayer match.

I think while there are definitely CoD similarities, the parkour elements and the Titans make it different enough to be fresh. I disagree that the Titans are like tanks. They seem to have a lot of different things they can do and the dynamic between Titans and pilots is very interesting.

Also, the maps seem much more alive with the AI fighting alongside the players, but in a way that makes them seem like singleplayer enemies and not just bots.

Portugeezer

I just watched it again, and though they might label this as '60 FPS', you can see some very clear frame latency spikes during any action. I wouldn't be surprised if those were spikes into the 60-80ms range with how chuggy it gets.

Source engine on a weak ass 8 core AMD APU just sounds like disaster.

Not really, that's how how it works.

But Xbone's 1.2Tflop (possibly less) if performance sounds bad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

CoD is a solid franchise that's getting stale. This is exactly the kind of shake-up it needed and it's a shame that Acti wouldn't back it. Their loss.

Tankanko

Banned
Still not getting what looks so good in this.
They just took COD, added mechas, and jetpacks from Tribes.
I mean, there's nothing exceptional in this, nothing ground breaking like Halos controls (melee and grenades in their own buttons for quick use) and regenerating shields, or COD4 Modern Warfare's perk system and fluid, fun gameplay.

There's nothing special about Halo lol. COD also had melee and grenades in their own buttons... and shields are basically just an advanced form of health regeneration.

Grief.exe

There's nothing special about Halo lol. COD also had melee and grenades in their own buttons... and shields are basically just an advanced form of health regeneration.

Well it also keeps the TTK significantly higher which makes it more difficult to kill someone.

Raises the skill ceiling.

He is also probably referring to the innovations Halo made in the console FPS space, which came out before Call of Duty.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Are people really impressed by the graphics? I think it looks like a game running on an old ass engine (which it is) I guess they went with performance over looks which is fine.

Hopefully, they don't keep reusing the engine till the gen plays out because their game is gonna look like caca when the 2nd and 3rd gen games come out.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Are people really impressed by the graphics? I think it looks like a game running on an old ass engine (which it is) I guess they went with performance over looks which is fine.

Hopefully, they don't keep reusing the engine till the gen plays out because their game is gonna look like caca when the 2nd and 3rd gen games come out.

Thank gooodness that it looks fun as fucking fuck to play though

Presco

I would buy an XBone for this game if I didn't have a decent gaming PC. The only game shown at E3 to warrant a new console purchase. Thankfully, that won't be necessary :)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The one game i'm a little disappointed that i won't be able to play (until i build a new pc) ...

Looks pretty solid. Curious if there is any decent single player to this and what it might look like. The set pieces of a game that includes huge and fast as hell mechs... could get wicked.

Grief.exe

The one game i'm a little disappointed that i won't be able to play (until i build a new pc) ...

Looks pretty solid. Curious if there is any decent single player to this and what it might look like. The set pieces of a game that includes huge and fast as hell mechs... could get wicked.

They mentioned a few times its multiplayer only.

Ultryx

I was intrigued by this game when I saw the gameplay trailer during E3. So much more excited after watching the 60fps trailer.

So happy it's coming to PC too!

Personally, not at all. The game looks really fun though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who barely ever gives FPSs a second glance, this looks really fun!

Seems like the kind of game I'd like to try and get good at with a couple of buds, what with the nice mix of mech romance and skippity Brink style free-running.

Glad Xbone is delivering on its exclusives. Although this is one I'll look out for on PS4 eventually.

Victrix

*beard*
Most important next gen fps for me by a country mile.

Not because of tech, not because of platform, not even because of theme (which I happen to love :D).

Entirely because it's Respawn, and these guys made my favorite fps game of all time.

Momentary

Banned
Are people really impressed by the graphics?

I see more people impressed by the gameplay. Haven't seen many people mention graphics aside from 60fps and art direction. But for an engine as old as they're using, I'm impressed by the way it looks.

Klocker

man if they drop a beta demo in late winter before release (like CoD in the olden days)

this thing could blow up if it is the digital crack that it appears to be

Argonomic

I'm not a big CoD fan, but I'm not seeing the comparisons to CoD at all. The shooting/gunplay mechanics looks VERY similar, but given that the maps have to be signed for regular players AND mechs, the chances of this being a game that focuses only on close-quarters are pretty low.

Imagine what adding double jump would do to CoD. You go to line up your iron sights and he jumps over your head. Already a different game.

Supporting Titans and wall-running require new map dimensions. It really is its own thing.

We have some old school shooter guys on the Respawn design team. I was making DOOM and Quake maps professionally via contract when I was in college, and our Game Director and I both made official Rocket Arena maps for Quake3. I was one of the founders of QuakeCon and I went every year through 2006.

In many ways, TF is a blend of the best of modern and old school shooters. One of the original design goals was to bring back projectiles, instead of being almost all hit-scan based weapons.

Wall running is sort of like an accessible, hand crafted version of diagonal running in DOOM and the strafe jumping in Quake.

Speaking of wall running, it has existed in TF since August 2010. The influence for wall running was not from games, it was from Kick Ass. I quit IW on 4.12.10, and Kick Ass came out later that week. I saw it in theaters and couldn't stop thinking about wall running and shooting in an FPS.

This scene stood out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBKyduk3RE

Watching it again for the first time since seeing it in theaters, she doesn't really wall run that much, but in my head she did.

demolitio

It's kind of nice that this is on PC AND on a scalable engine at that. I have a good PC but my friend doesn't really have a good one and he doesn't want to get an X1, but I keep trying to explain to him that he can get a perfectly fine PC for less than what he'd pay for the X1 and still get the most out of this game. I'd be devastated if this game wasn't coming to PC at all so I'm glad it is, especially since I loved these guys' work since COD1 and was glad to see them leave Activision and spread their wings to make the game they always wanted to make.

titan3.gif

Can't wait to figure out all the map shortcuts and wall-run/double jump trick spots.

I like these types of games that reward you for knowing the map.

demolitio

Can't wait to figure out all the map shortcuts and wall-run/double jump trick spots.

Yup. Map design is probably the most important thing to me in any MP and really determines its longevity so I'm hoping these maps are a pure joy to play as they seem to have quite a bit of variety. The maps in the COD series seemed to be a on a constant decline for the most part and I have faith this will restore the importance of level designers in games.

Hell, that's why the SOCOM series was always so amazing to me...Solid maps that had numerous paths that played differently and they were all unique.

Seance

Banned

This shit fits so well with the kind of fast gunplay and quick killtimes. Wallrunning and thruster boosting around will be a great skill to learn for escaping death and map positioning. :D

JawzPause

Can someone tell me why everyone is going bananas about this game?
It really does just look like sci-fi cod to me, with maybe shittier graphics.

Outside of the shitty representation of a wall run, this game looks like a lot of fun. I like the flow, the mobility makes sense, good sense of scale...just a lot of good to be honest. That damn wall run needs to go though. Redo that shit and make it look like you are wall running and not just flying past a billboard.

Sojgat

Can someone tell me why everyone is going bananas about this game?
It really does just look like sci-fi cod to me, with maybe shittier graphics.

Sci-fi COD with jetpacks and giant mechs. It looks like a lot of fun (COD is kind of popular you know).

Also, the graphics look better than any COD I've ever seen.

JawzPause

Sci-fi COD with jetpacks and giant mechs. It looks like a lot of fun (COD is kind of popular you know).

Also, the graphics look better than any COD I've ever seen.

As someone who is completely burned out on cod (and I'm guessing there are a lot of others out there like me) this looks too similar to cod.
Someone needs to make a refreshing new fps game because all the ones I saw at E3 looked very similar.
Maybe Half life 3 will be that game...

Pjsprojects

Wonder if the 360 version of games will be handicapped in the graphics department to help show how great the crappy Xbone is?

Top Bottom