• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall Beta not open: Invite waves & codes required, staggered to avoid implosion

Jarmel

Banned
How exactly does a staggered release help alleviate problems on launch day when far more people will be playing on day one? Better to blow up the servers now and add more capacity before launch than get caught with their pants down after money has exchanged hands.

Launch is going to be fucked.

Except that apparently the Titanfall Alpha went very poorly and some people could not even play until the final day.

As someone who played in the alpha and routinely talked to other people in the loading lobbies I can absolutely debunk that hyperbole. Everyone I was playing with agreed with the surprising amount of polish and lack of problems playing.

Yeah, they're nothing like the inexperienced FPS team at DICE.

I'm sorry, but DICE have a history of releasing buggy ass games that don't work that well early on. The people from Respawn do not.

Considering they're going to sell way more copies on the 360, that's pretty short-sighted of them. Since it's the first game released for the IP, if a majority of the players have a crappy time experiencing it (considering it IS online only), it could really limit growth down the road.

So many people are going to be upset if the XB1 version of this game is the highest seller. lol

Bsigg12

Launch is going to be fucked.

I don't know. With the ability to spin up more servers on the fly with Azure, launch should be fine. All of the server stuff is being handled by Respawn and Microsoft, EA only has Origin to worry about.

BigDug13

I'm sorry, but DICE have a history of releasing buggy ass games that don't work that well early on. The people from Respawn do not.

So many people are going to be upset if the XB1 version of this game is the highest seller. lol

Sure, but the way you originally phrased your statement was basically "because Respawn is not a newbie developer, they're not going to release a buggy mess" and my point is that just because you have experience releasing games, that has no bearing on whether or not you will release a buggy product.

And DICE was doing just fine without buggy messes until they started developing on consoles IIRC from my days playing BF1942 and BF2. And EA has never been involved in Respawn's (prior IW's) releases before like they are this time.

Sure, but the way you originally phrased your statement was basically "because Respawn is not a newbie developer, they're not going to release a buggy mess" and my point is that just because you have experience releasing games, that has no bearing on whether or not you will release a buggy product.

And DICE was doing just fine without buggy messes until they started developing on consoles IIRC from my days playing BF1942 and BF2. And EA has never been involved in Respawn's (prior IW's) releases before like they are this time.

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know I had to explicitly state that Respawn is made up of people from Infinity Ward who have successfully launched several multiplayer shooters without trouble.

And I have no earthly idea why consoles would be an excuse for DICE's sloppy work, but ok.

border

Are you referring to the bombcast email last week? There were connection issues early on in the alpha but never saw anyone on the alpha forums claiming they couldn't play at all until the last day.

Yeah. For those that don't listen there was a reader mail on Giant Bombcast that said he wasn't able to play the game at all, and the alpha was extended to an additional day due to problems early on.

My guess is they're holding off on unleashing all the details about the beta until they have a firm release date for it. And they won't have that until it gets through certification (at least Microsoft's certification, if not also EA's).

BAH%20Q%20BOLAS%21.gif

FStop7

Banned
Abbie Heppe came off looking out of the loop in that conversation. I'd be kinda pissed at her boss if I were her.

COD4: Modern Warfare, and Modern Warfare 2 all launched without netcode problems. You are the first person I've seen suggest otherwise.

I'm gonna assume you haven't actually played the Modern Warfare games. MW2 was hilariously buggy. MW and all of its sequels have had the same awful netcode problems.

I'm gonna assume you haven't actually played the Modern Warfare games. MW2 was hilariously buggy. MW and all of its sequels have had the same awful netcode problems.

Played all of them, very extensively in fact. I'm gonna assume you don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to say those games were buggy because some clown figured out how to glitch a care package, a bug that was fixed a week later, oh well.

DICE has shipped games with the fundamentals broken, and screen tearing, and all sorts of other basic shit just screwed up. I have yet to see a single COD game launch that way, even the ones the original Infinity Ward worked on.

So if they are worried the servers cannot handle a beta, what do they think day one will be like? Maybe one of the unable to connect to EA servers messages?

RulkezX

Then wtf is their issue with this beta?

Still ironing out those network issues from the Alpha , the ones that only needed to be tested on the US network.

I dunno, XBL and by extension Azure should be well up to the task, maybe it's more to do with something on their end. They ain't leaving themselves much time if there is an issue at this stage.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Invite waves might also mean 50,000 people every hour. Honestly it could even be the signup mechanism thats the bottleneck. IDK.

Kade

If you work at Respawn and see this post, follow these instructions:

1) Click my name
2) Select "Send a private message to Kade"
3) In the subject line "Titanfall PC beta code for cool and handsome guy"
4) In the message field, a beta key for the PC version of Titanfall

Thanks in advance. Bye.

RulkezX

Invite waves might also mean 50,000 people every hour. Honestly it could even be the signup mechanism thats the bottleneck. IDK.

I'd imagine the BF4 open beta was considerably larger than this one is going to be, and as long as they allow early access to download the client there shouldn't be an issue.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If you work at Respawn and see this post, follow these instructions:

1) Click my name
2) Select "Send a private message to Kade"
3) In the subject line "Titanfall PC beta code for cool and handsome guy"
4) In the message field, a beta key for the PC version of Titanfall

Thanks in advance. Bye.

Me too!

Authority

Banned
So let me get this straight.

The game's release is within a month and they haven't even rolled in the beta yet?

What a fucking joke.

The most realistic time frame for any beta to be on is between 6 to 3 months prior release depending on the genre. That is basics.

Ominym

Banned

The game is bound to be released within a month and they haven't even rolled in the beta yet?

What a fucking joke.

The most realistic time frame for any beta to be on is between 6 to 3 months prior release depending on the genre. That is basics.

It's a beta only in name. Did you remember that they released an "alpha"?

demolitio

Well they sure do like being mysterious. I just want to know how it is before I decide if I want the game or not because I'm tired of unbalanced games at launch.

rjcc

The game is bound to be released within a month and they haven't even rolled in the beta yet?

What a fucking joke.

how did it work on the game you released ever?

What a fucking joke.

Do you not remember betas last gen at all? lol

HariKari

I'd imagine the BF4 open beta was considerably larger than this one is going to be, and as long as they allow early access to download the client there shouldn't be an issue.

This game has to deal with the issue of matchmaking to Azure servers. If it isn't done right, it will be horrible. There were actually a lot of Battlefield 4 beta servers that opened up literally the second the clock hit midnight. Could be why they need to do waves.

I want int this beta! I will do very bad things if i have to, to get in. Things my fiance and child might disown me for.

The ball is in your court Respawn....

COD2, COD4: Modern Warfare, and Modern Warfare 2 all launched without netcode problems. You are the first person I've seen suggest otherwise.

God no. I guess you weren't there for the 360 launch?

MW1 and 2 were fine, the former only caved along with the rest of Xbox LIVE in 2007.

AzerPhire

The alpha ran very smoothly. I had no network issues the entire time and I did not hear from anywhere else that they had issues.

I have no reason to worry about the beta or even the full release being buggy. The alpha alone was extremely polished.

And I have no earthly idea why consoles would be an excuse for DICE's sloppy work, but ok.

I would actually argue since Origin's inception, rather than Consoles. Bad Company games were pretty damn good and not buggy messes from what I recall (at least on PC, can't say about the Consoles). It wasn't till BF3 really which of course Origin was a big part of that process.

I also get this impression that there is some confusion over the MOH games and Dice in general... and yeah, MOH was a buggy mess, but Dice was only responsible for the MP on that, and had nothing to do with the sequel which was of course a trainwreck.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Well fuck. By the time many of us get in it will be over. Combine that with the fact that I work Friday sat Sunday that weekend, and I have very little to be excited about now.

Also was going to use this to gauge if I wanted the PC version or Xbox One version.

PC it is...

E92 M3

I think the beta will be longer than the advertised through that poster. After all, they got the preorder part wrong, right?

Milennia

Anyone know where i could sign up?
If not i guess the info isn't available yet.

I signed up for their alpha thing, so maybe its that?

BigDug13

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know I had to explicitly state that Respawn is made up of people from Infinity Ward who have successfully launched several multiplayer shooters without trouble.

You didn't need to state that. You just need to be more clear when you make sweeping statements like experience=quality. I'm sorry I wasn't able to glean from your statement that Respawn will have no problems because they have experience launching games to mean that only Respawn fits that statement and not other developers who have experience.

And nowhere in my statement did I make an excuse for shitty DICE work. I was doing the opposite, making the statement that not everyone who has tremendous amount of experience launching games comes out with quality launches later on, as evidenced by the shitty launches of more recent DICE work. If that can be classified as "making excuses" then I guess I don't understand the meaning of the word.

yoIo

Neo Member
If they're doing it in waves I wouldn't be surprised if they had it like 3 different weeks where alpha testers get in the first week, people who signed up second, pre order people third.

Top Bottom