• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall Beta not open: Invite waves & codes required, staggered to avoid implosion

Maybe they are doing a closed beta this weekend with more and more invites going out each day , which leads to an open beta week starting on valentines day like this french site already leaked

J-Rzez

ITT people forget that "beta" means "demo" and "alpha" means "beta" thanks to Dev/pub marketing departments.

Vee_One

I have been trying to follow this but keep getting confused - is this beta worldwide and has it been established as to how you get in on it, on either PC or XBox One

J-P

Neo Member
Are we talking new pre-orders or those who have already pre-ordered? Why is this shit so confusing? lol Maybe it's just me...

m23

Are we talking new pre-orders or those who have already pre-ordered? Why is this shit so confusing? lol Maybe it's just me...

If they were to give codes with pre-orders, I would assume it would go to anyone who pre-ordered. Wouldn't matter if you pre-ordered beforehand.

Yeah, it's pretty funny that they have a beta launching soon and yet they don't know how they're going to get people in it. Or they just don't want to share details yet.

Dlacy13g

Jesus Christ how is it this hard. If you preorder you get a code, done!

You act as thought Respawn alone has that control. Numerous retail chains to try and get codes to that sounds like it was not previously arranged. Also EA may not be willing to just hand out codes without Origin registration as they are after all footing the bill for this game via a partners program so I am sure they want something out of it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it sounds like they only recently committed to actually doing a beta and are now furiously trying to make it happen just prior to the games launch with no plan to implement and distribute codes. trying to work with retailers to supply codes for preorders should have been arranged a loooong time ago and probably is VERY difficult to do when you are ~1 week out.

As someone who played in the alpha and routinely talked to other people in the loading lobbies I can absolutely debunk that hyperbole. Everyone I was playing with agreed with the surprising amount of polish and lack of problems playing.

then.........then what the plough is going on?

Alpha ====> polished ====> beta ====> "network concerns"

Well, I worked closely with developers before. This isn't surprising. Lots of online games run smooth in small batches, and somehow, somewhere, when the player count (in-game and overall) is increased, shit falls apart. You get issues you never saw coming.

Could be a strong explanation as to why the player count in matches is so small. Maybe they didn't have enough time to work out the code to allow more players.

Handling the beta in waves......seems like an efficient move to make.

Whoever said this is about building up hype, good idea but I think this is more of a development issue than a marketing one.

I'll do whatever it takes.

7U1UXfc.jpg

WHATEVER IT TAKES YOU SAY

Played all of them, very extensively in fact. I'm gonna assume you don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to say those games were buggy because some clown figured out how to glitch a care package, a bug that was fixed a week later, oh well.

DICE has shipped games with the fundamentals broken, and screen tearing, and all sorts of other basic shit just screwed up. I have yet to see a single COD game launch that way, even the ones the original Infinity Ward worked on.

I have over 8 days logged with MW2. Shit was pretty fucking unbalanced all the way. It got better with each patch but was still a noobtubers paradise and that never got fixed. It also launched broken and trying to play the game for the first week was damn near impossible.

It's was no BF4, sure, but let's not let that game's horrific issues change our perception of how functional MW2 was.

It's problematic, because people might have pre-ordered months ago, when there were no plans for a beta.

When I went to gamestop and pre-ordered they said that when they find out about the beta if they get pre-order codes they would call me to come in and get one. Everyone that pre-ordered through them should get one.

ViciousDS

Banned
stagger invites? I never understood this, how the hell do you fricken stress test a server staggering invites and people coming in, this is not a real world scenario.......those people won't be staggered come midnight release....no there will be millions hammering away at those servers come march.

What are they testing for in this beta anyways?

I have over 8 days logged with MW2. Shit was pretty fucking unbalanced all the way. It got better with each patch but was still a noobtubers paradise and that never got fixed. It also launched broken and trying to play the game for the first week was damn near impossible.

It's was no BF4, sure, but let's not let that game's horrific issues change our perception of how functional MW2 was.

Now you're talking about game balance. Buggy software and game balance are two different things.

I bought that game on the 360 the day it came out and don't recall having a single issue playing it online that first week. Sorry.

RulkezX

This Beta is absolutely going to be a lot more limited than we hoped.

He was also asked a question about the Australian servers and told the guy that that's a question for MS, not Respawn.

RulkezX

Remember Quake III Arena Test? 3 maps, open to everyone, no end date, and they continued to patch it alongside the final game for a while. Amazing.

It's just weird, reading his Twitter feed today , so much still seems up in the air.

* Telling people it's not open and he never said open a matter of days after he told doubters on his Twitter they would have a chance to try the game for them self.

* Pre orders not required / maybe required / might be maybe not required, but will try and get you in.

etc etc.

Why do they not let EA or MS handle the PR for this, because Respawn are horrible at it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This completely reeks of EAs bullshit, it's got their stench all over this the handling of the beta (well ok of course it does, publisher and all that). Just seems so disorganised, EA couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.

Mrbob

This Beta is absolutely going to be a lot more limited than we hoped.

He was also asked a question about the Australian servers and told the guy that that's a question for MS, not Respawn.

Respawn could avoid the server issue on PC if they allowed user hosted servers, Of course these are the same guys who thought IW.Net was a good idea.

RulkezX

This completely reeks of EAs bullshit, it's got their stench all over this the handling of the beta (well ok of course it does, publisher and all that). Just seems so disorganised, EA couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.

The same EA that managed Beta's for BF3 and BF4 ( games much larger than TF ) on 3 platforms without a problem ?

Deadbeat

Banned
They could avoid the server issue on PC if they allowed user hosted servers, Of course these are the same guys who thought IW.Net was a good idea.
They purposely locked the dev console and fov as well. People still think the PC version wont be gimped. Respawn wont release the server files because then all the cloud bullshit will be exposed. I mean we still have people on this forum believing that crap.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The same EA that managed Beta's for BF3 and BF4 ( games much larger than TF ) on 3 platforms without a problem ?

Also the same EA that managed to release 2 games in an essentially broken state in the last year as well.

They purposely locked the dev console and fov as well. People still think the PC version wont be gimped. Respawn wont release the server files because then all the cloud bullshit will be exposed. I mean we still have people on this forum believing that crap.

Noone wants to give the server files these days. Fuck giving your games a long lifespan!

Top Bottom