• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on PC will have controller aim assist

LCGeek

formerly sane
In the grand scheme of things I'm sure this alienated a negligible amount of PC gamers.

Most are just going to tell Respawn the potential shortcomings of such a decision, but its fairly irrelevant overall.

and it worked out well for shadowrun and c2 in terms of sales. I can't recall a pc fps game in years with this feature that had as good sales as some of the bigger names of their time.

FACE

Banned
What about it? I've seen videos of Halo players do that exact same stuff for years.

i5izaq3iLTVnS.gif

Grief.exe

and it worked out well for shadowrun and c2 in terms of sales. I can't recall a pc fps game in years with this feature that had as good sales as some of the bigger names of their time.

Its hard to justify auto-aim as the sole reason for their failure.

Can we please not devolve this into who the more skillful player base is? It's unnecessary and childish. As someone who's played on a competitive level for both console and PC it's clear that both fanbases have some seriously skilled users.

GoaThief

I'm sorry but LOL.
From my personal experience, competitive CSGO is perfectly doable with a controller.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/558737235092515626/EA67C1C43F5EEE0C99FD3F8C61C6B69B522B7430/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/488932624209278062/AC1BEA7E0912535F05B7642710461F91FBA97096/

I believe introducing aim assist on PC is a bad idea. Pad support is good news, but there really isn't a need to attempt to level the field with assists and it also opens up avenues for cheaters. I hope we can use a controller with it disabled too.

Only time I ever see the reticle move on it's own is when someone runs across my crosshair and it sticks to them and follws for a tiny bit to help with tracking. I don't think I have ever had it snap to an enemy.

I noticed it because I was walking through a map with a bunch of bushes then suddenly my crosshairs snapped to a guy that I didn't see inside a bush. Got a free kill out of it at least.

Jito

Banned
Same reason I don't play with people that use a variety of aim hacks or other hacks. The whole point of a shooter is to shoot and use your own talents to get kills.

ya mad and sad brah.... really that's your argument

Then just like certain kb&m users on UT3 you can be filtered out. Some people don't want to play with these types ever why should I pay for a title and then put up with crap like this.

Also pad players telling themselves sticks are better for movement must not have much or any experience strafe jumping or other advanced movement techniques you cannot do with a stick. Stop feeding them egos a healthy dose of delusions.

Here's the pure melodrama I was talking about. Fuck me for saying I wanna kick back on the sofa and play with a controller? Not once did mention movement on controller or that the controller was better for anything lol stop making shit up.

Edit: Also how was this an argument? I was just stating my opinion here, further evidence of the butthurt drama over nothing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You don't understand how the movement in Quake works. It's literally impossible to move like that with a thumbstick, you can't alternate between left and right fast enough. For example this [very important] jump looks really simple, but actually requires a lot of practice to pull off properly and consistently.

Yep. It almost looks like he is walking/running, but in reality he is almost entirely in the air with just brief jump touches to the ground. Nothing like that on consoles.

Even with the jetpacks, I am not sure Titanfall will be like UT though in terms of the physics and forward momentum required for this kind of traversal.

Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140137808931762

What about movement which this game seems to have a lot of? Also more accurate!= more fun. Finally, my couch and big ass plasma > than desk and any monitor. Opinions.

teokrazia

I'm confused. Are you saying you can't nade jump with a controller?

That's involving quick turn + strafe jump + crouch jump + speed skating. All inputs that have an actual influence over the movement.

So no.

And I'm not the usual PC elitist with bias against controllers. :)
Despite what alot of PC friends of mine believe as doable, when I play Quake Arena Arcade on 360 I perform some great rocket jumps. Same for bunny hop in RAGE, using a gamepad.
But rocket jumping and bunny hopping [or even play multiplat as Brink and Crysis 2/3] with M+K are still a whole different matter.

Synth

Yep. It almost looks like he is walking/running, but in reality he is almost entirely in the air with just brief jump touches to the ground. Nothing like that on consoles.

Even with the jetpacks, I am not sure Titanfall will be like UT though in terms of the physics and forward momentum required for this kind of traversal.

That's not entirely true as Quake 3 has actually been on console before. You can strafe jump with a joypad, but circle jumps to begin your momentum were out of the question. You also couldn't maintain your speed very well, because you couldn't make the adjustments required to navigate the map smoothly.

GoaThief

These posts are blatant trolling now. It's pointless to argue.
Of course the Halo/Quake Movement claim is balderdash, the CS stuff probably isn't. The game lends itself well to controllers, see above if there is a little doubt.

Without having played Titanfall myself it's a little hard to say for sure if a pad is viable, but from the little I've seen I'd think it's quite possible to play at a relatively high level with one as it's certainly not Warsow or similar. The real problem arises not from aiming issues, but movement.

What about movement which this game seems to have a lot of? Also more accurate!= more fun. Finally, my couch and big ass plasma > than desk and any monitor. Opinions.

Mirrors Edge played better with mouse and keyboard and that game was all about movement. More accurate and faster control of your facing makes a big difference to movement. Movement in an fps requires a combination of mouse and keyboard actions in the same way you need to use both sticks to move around with a pad. Looking at it as just keyboard versus stick is missing the point.

I'm in the "IDGAF until KB/M auto-aim hacks happen" camp
I mean it really just is leveling the playing field, albeit it's fucking strange and it'll likely need a good bit of fine tuning for balance after launch

Grief.exe

Of course the Halo/Quake Movement claim is balderdash, the CS stuff probably isn't. The game lends itself well to controllers, see above if there is a little doubt.

Without having played Titanfall myself it's a little hard to say for sure if a pad is viable, but from the little I've seen I'd think it's quite possible to play at a relatively high level with one as it's certainly not Warsow or similar. The real problem arises not from aiming issues, but movement.

It probably won't be an issue.

Both recoil and TTK are ridiculously low, lowering the skill ceiling and need for pinpoint accuracy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I've been on PC for a long time, and I find I'm actually better with movement on the keyboard rather than a controller.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I've been using my Xbox 360 controller while playing Counter Strike on PC for years now to no detriment whatsoever. Still wrecking people in any server I join.

It's funny when I tell them I'm not using a KB/M. They don't believe me. They can't wrap their heads around it.
You're the man, dog dawg.

Hypron

Mirrors Edge played better with mouse and keyboard and that game was all about movement. More accurate and faster control of your facing makes a big difference to movement. Movement is a combination of mouse and keyboard actions. Looking at it as just keyboard versus stick is missing the point.

Yeah. The best Mirrors Edge and Dishonored speed runs are on Kb/m. When you add that to what's possible in games like Quake and Tribes (and even stuff like Crysis) using kb/m I don't see how anyone can claim that pads are better for traversal in first person games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Its hard to justify auto-aim as the sole reason for their failure.

It is however proper to say it did contribute to why pc types ignored it or got sick of them. I will admit it is not the core but it did easily leave to me seeing people never come back from servers I ran or admined.

Fugu

The second you start making allowances for people who intentionally handicap themselves you destroy any hint of an idea of the game being suitable for competitive play. It enforces the idea that the playing field should be level even for those who have made no attempt to level it, which is the antithesis of competitive.

Tonnes of people love the idea of being able to "compete" with no skills or abilities whatsoever, so that's fine. I'll stick to Quake though.

Jarate

Banned
I still don't get why this is such a huge deal for people

here are the arguments I see people talking about

1) I don't wanna be stuck with controller players on my team

Just like you don't want to be stuck with bad players that use M+KB on your team. The amount of controller players will most likely be fairly small, and will most likely be non noticeable. Even if you disregard that, even if you do get stuck on a team filled with controller players you can just leave and join another game. It's not like you are stuck on that team.

2) This is going to make it easy to give auto-aim to M+KB players

I would imagine it would be fairly easy to check for things like this, but still, there will most likely be an aim-bot during this game, and that'll be fairly easy to use. Cheaters will essentially cheat

3) Controllers are horrendously inneffective

And that's why they are giving them auto-aim, so you don't have completely ineffective teammates

4) Im against the controller player having some type of advantage with auto aim

Since M+KB is an advantage over controllers, im calling out all the users of that control method. Also, auto-aim can be fairly basic, and not give that much. This isn't a lock on mechanic in Zelda, you still have to aim

5) Why would anyone want to use something other then M+KB, since it's the best!

A lot of player like to play games on a couch. Modern technology allows us to effectively do this fairly easily. M+KB on TV is incredibly awkward, using a controller is not.

what's the issue with this exactly? Im still very confused.

Jarate

Banned
The second you start making allowances for people who intentionally handicap themselves you destroy any hint of an idea of the game being suitable for competitive play. It enforces the idea that the playing field should be level even for those who have made no attempt to level it, which is the antithesis of competitive.

Tonnes of people love the idea of being able to "compete" with no skills or abilities whatsoever, so that's fine. I'll stick to Quake though.

If you want Quake, go and play Quake.

This is Titanfall, quit expecting it to be the same as Quake.

Also, wouldn't a competitive person be more upset about the Titans, the bots, and the perks rather then giving controllers auto-aim.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's not entirely true as Quake 3 has actually been on console before. You can strafe jump with a joypad, but circle jumps to begin your momentum were out of the question. You also couldn't maintain your speed very well, because you couldn't make the adjustments required to navigate the map smoothly.

Sure you have that game, but it's not the same experience just as you describe. And the majority of modern FPS console games are nowhere near that level of traversal. But you are right.

Mrbob

To point two, since we don't have moderated user run servers, who is going to check this? Respawn? EA? They won't monitor the mouse look auto aim cheat at all.

This is why people like user run servers. The more popular ones will have admins watching over everything which is going on.

rac

Banned

Also, wouldn't a competitive person be more upset about the Titans, the bots, and the perks rather then giving controllers auto-aim.

The AI looked awful in the beta footage I saw. I don't think there will be a problem allowing players to use a gamepad in this game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To point two, since we don't have moderated user run servers, who is going to check this? Respawn? EA? They won't monitor the mouse look auto aim cheat at all.

This is why people like user run servers. The more popular ones will have admins watching over everything which is going on.

We have a million examples of dedicated server based infrastructures where cheating isn't a problem. Its on EA/Microsoft to make sure people don't cheat not the users.

Fugu

I will go and play Quake! I am not trying to make this into Quake. It is a fact that, at a bare minimum, competitive games must reward good choices. Everyone should be clear that this decision will make it hard or impossible for that to be true.

Many competitive games involve exploiting predictable AI behavior (MOBAs come to mind).

That slippery slope smugness.

Grief.exe

COD Ghosts has aim assist in PC (multiplayer) when you use a gamepad. And I can't see too many people talking about that. Maybe about performance or gameplay, but not about aim assist.

That is because no one is talking about Ghosts right now ;)

Both MW3 and BOII are about to pass it up on the Stats chart.

I've been using my Xbox 360 controller while playing Counter Strike on PC for years now to no detriment whatsoever. Still wrecking people in any server I join.

It's funny when I tell them I'm not using a KB/M. They don't believe me. They can't wrap their heads around it.

I've only been using KB/M for two months and can't believe how inaccurate a controller is vs. a mouse and how slow a controller feels.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I still don't get why this is such a huge deal for people

here are the arguments I see people talking about

1) I don't wanna be stuck with controller players on my team

Just like you don't want to be stuck with bad players that use M+KB on your team. The amount of controller players will most likely be fairly small, and will most likely be non noticeable. Even if you disregard that, even if you do get stuck on a team filled with controller players you can just leave and join another game. It's not like you are stuck on that team.

2) This is going to make it easy to give auto-aim to M+KB players

I would imagine it would be fairly easy to check for things like this, but still, there will most likely be an aim-bot during this game, and that'll be fairly easy to use. Cheaters will essentially cheat

3) Controllers are horrendously inneffective

And that's why they are giving them auto-aim, so you don't have completely ineffective teammates

4) Im against the controller player having some type of advantage with auto aim

Since M+KB is an advantage over controllers, im calling out all the users of that control method. Also, auto-aim can be fairly basic, and not give that much. This isn't a lock on mechanic in Zelda, you still have to aim

5) Why would anyone want to use something other then M+KB, since it's the best!

A lot of player like to play games on a couch. Modern technology allows us to effectively do this fairly easily. M+KB on TV is incredibly awkward, using a controller is not.

what's the issue with this exactly? Im still very confused.

Go ahead and call someone like me out.

I don't want assist in my shooters be it on a pad or keyboard has nothing to do with having an advantage. It's a simple point and others devs agree considering most of the popular played pc shooters don't have this shit mechanic in it.

Also with point 2 is not a rebuttal when we have seen how this end in the past same for how MS tested pad and pc players with them deciding ultimately never to mix them.

Funny how you say M+KB on a tv is awkward considering up until 50" or so you can have it on the desk a few feet back and enjoy the big ass screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I will go and play Quake! I am not trying to make this into Quake. It is a fact that, at a bare minimum, competitive games must reward good choices. Everyone should be clear that this decision will make it hard or impossible for that to be true.

Many competitive games involve exploiting predictable AI behavior (MOBAs come to mind).

I would say Titanfall's status a serious competitive game has been invalid from it's inception. This a port of a console exclusive bombastic romp that happens to be multiplayer only. From what I've seen there are far too many variables for anyone into serious competition to be interested. And lets say an MLG type community does materialize.. those people already play with crazy rules anyway. They can just say "no controllers" along with no jetpacks and limited titandrops and whatever else those people do make games more streamlined. People railing against this so fervently really do come off as out of touch.

Jarate

Banned

I don't want assist in my shooters be it on a pad or keyboard has nothing to do with having an advantage. It's a simple point and others devs agree considering most of the popular played pc shooters don't have this shit mechanic in it.

Also with point 2 is not a rebuttal when we have seen how this end in the past same for how MS tested pad and pc players with them deciding ultimately never to mix them.

Funny how you say M+KB on a tv is awkward considering up until 50" or so you can have it on the desk a few feet back and enjoy the big ass screen.

Most of the popular shooters haven't used it for controllers because there hasn't been a huge push for PC TV gaming. More and more people are going this route everyday, and it's not surprising to see companies offering this.

The other point given was the game called Shadowrun. Go and play Shadowrun and compare it to Titanfall. The games are completely different. And also, one of the reasons why Devs don't like to cross the two player groups together is because Microsoft and Sony don't want them to. Microsoft no longer support PC gaming, so it doesn't make sense for them to have cross play, and Sony has their own console, and wouldn't want to support PC.

Also, you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to using M+KB with a TV. You could effectively use your tv as a monitor, but generally, my TV is in front of my couch and my recliners. Give me a good option to use M+KB on my PC from those 2 sitting positions that's under the cost of a wireless Xbox controller + a receiver and I will switch to that option. In it's current state, it's very impractical to use M+KB on your couch or your recliner, where a controller shines the brightest.

Synth

I don't get what you mean on point 2. Are you saying that other FPS games don't have aimbot users?

I get that you can screw this up (apparently Crysis 2 allowed aim assistance to anyone who simply had a joypad connected?), but it's really not very difficult to prevent it. If anyone manages to apply the aim assistance to m+kb in a game where the developers haven't been stupid about it, then they could have just created an aimbot of their own anyway.

MutFox

Banned
Are people seriously debating which control method is better for FPS games?
Like seriously, I have both a Controller and KB/M setup for my PC. (And others, but we're mostly talking about controller and KB/M)

Controllers are great for racing games (not as good as a Wheel setup, except for maybe arcade racers)
Controllers are great for platformers - Use it on my PC for those...
KB/M are the best for RTS/MOBA games.
KB/M are best for FPS.

Different input types are better for different types of games.
What's so hard to understand about that?

Learning to master all input types actually make you a better gamer.

Top Bottom