• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PS3 and PS4 mention in PC texture files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short term gain vs long term brand awareness/momentum. Sure they get a nice cheque but I bet they are constantly looking at the PS4 sales and seeing if it was worth it the end.

Both PS4 and Xbone got fairly small install bases still. If they could get the sequel out for PS4 then that would most likely be fine.

You shouldn't expect it at all.
As we've guessed before, Titanfall was only ~1 year exclusive for Xbox (see CBOAT).
So PS3/PS4 being mentioned in the code makes sense.
Then, MS made a new deal with EA.
Now it's exclusive forever.

If you want Titanfall on your PS4, you have to wait for Titanfall 2.

Ah missed that.

Oh well. Its a bummer but like I said, its not a HUGE loss for me. They must've drove a dump truck filled with cash up to EA for the exclusive on this one.

Since its EA, Im waiting 6 months for the reveal of the sequel!

Cornbread78

They chose Source because it ran well on the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if there are PS3/4 prototypes they still have that run.

Here's a random tinfoil hat idea. Could they change around those assets and Sony fund them to make a new game out of them, obviously not named Titanfall, but similiar concets and all? Surely that would not breach the IP contract that EA made with MS...

I thought it was already known that (TF1) is completely exclusive to the Xbox/PC platform, and all potential sequels are free game at this point( unless MS changes that).

Funding a game that otherwise wouldn't be made and making it exclusive e.g. B2 is fine.
Paying money to prevent others from playing a game isn't... but that's just my 2 cents...

Absolutely. Stuff like Bayo 2 and DR3 is fine but this exactly the kind of BS MS id hated for. And then they say "the hate should stop". Yea, you don't do yourselves any favors MS

scitek

I'm sure Respawn appreciates missing out on those 5.3 million PS4s, 80 million PS3s, and 75 million active Steam users.

okayfrog

Banned
Not surprised at all. I fully expect Titanfall to be a timed exclusive at best.

Iunno, from what I've read, Titanfall seems pretty set in stone as a Microsoft exclusive. Titanfall 2, on the other hand, will definitely be going to PS4. No way Respawn's taking an exclusivity deal after being with Activision.

I'm sure Respawn appreciates missing out on those 5.3 million PS4s, 80 million PS3s, and 75 million active Steam users.

I think what they appreciated more was the upfront money from Microsoft to be exclusive, though that probably went to EA, who knows.

th4tguy

From this screen, it seems that a PS3 and PS4 version was indeed in development or at least planned for release. This makes me more sad...

Respawn stated the reason for going with Source engine was because it would allow for easier ps3 development as they planned to originally launch the game on 360, ps3, pc. It wasn't until they started looking at next gen that deals started happening with MS.

Both PS4 and Xbone got fairly small install bases still. If they could get the sequel out for PS4 then that would most likely be fine.

I don't think Mass Effect games sold particularly well for PS3. Decent, but nowhere near its full potential.

Same with Splinter Cell. I recall the PS3 sales of Blacklist being horrendous compared to the 360 SKU, because Convictions was exclusive to 360.

Exclusivity of previous games in a franchise does affect sales of sequels that become multiplat. Thus FF selling better on Playstation, etc.

I know deals like these are incredibly specific. What are the chances of something like Titanfall: Game of the Year Edition overriding exclusivity?

Supposing it's true that Respawn planned for it to be on PS3/PS4, and EA made an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, I have a question I haven't seen asked by press: wasn't the whole point of Respawn existing to give themselves complete creative control to their studio, and if so, how does the EA Partners program empower EA to unilaterally decide platforms?

Supposing it's true that Respawn planned for it to be on PS3/PS4, and EA made an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, I have a question I haven't seen asked by press: wasn't the whole point of Respawn existing to give themselves complete creative control to their studio, and if so, how does the EA Partners program empower EA to unilaterally decide platforms?
They own the IP but EA has publishing rights.

Iunno, from what I've read, Titanfall seems pretty set in stone as a Microsoft exclusive. Titanfall 2, on the other hand, will definitely be going to PS4. No way Respawn's taking an exclusivity deal after being with Activision.

Nope. Zampella's tweet stated that they were always MS exclusive at launch. And they never denied the possibility of coming to other platforms either, back then.

Microsoft must have paid Electronic Arts some SERIOUS money to keep this exclusive.

The PS4 has sold well over 5 million units and the Japan launch isn't until Saturday.

Not to mention the 80 million PS3 units already out there... Microsoft would basically have had to cover the projected profits from the PS3/4 versions to get EA's approval on the deal.

EA is losing soooooo many PS3/PS4 sales (and future DLC sales too) over this deal with MS. I seriously hope they got a TON of money from MS on this deal...

Black-Box

I remember hearing Respawn say at E3 that if Titanfall sold well then Titanfall 2 would come to the PS4.

Jinoru

Banned

I'd reckon there'd be NDA about what the Partners contract entails. They probably have total creative freedom for the software content, but not what platform they would develop it for.

Vol5

May as well develop it in tandem now instead of doing it later.

Not surprised. Defo expect a PS4 GOTY version at Xmas.

okayfrog

Banned
Nope. Zampella's tweet stated that they were always MS exclusive at launch. And they never denied the possibility of coming to other platforms either, back then.

Ahh, yup, looks like that. Guess EA gave Respawn the money and then Microsoft gave EA the money. Kinda weird then to see people saying that Titanfall's future exclusivity is up to Respawn and not EA.

FeiRR

Banned
"Sorry, Playstation 4"

7vy8.png

(Image credit: Goodacre0081)
I know children talk to their toys but this supposedly adult person is talking to a piece of electronics... over Twitter.

It doesn't actually say ps4 though.

I checked the file and it's definitely legit.

My guess is, that EA hired bluepoint to port the game to both 360 and PS3, but cancelled the PS3 version late when MS wrote them a big fat check

Never change MS...

Here's a random tinfoil hat idea. Could they change around those assets and Sony fund them to make a new game out of them, obviously not named Titanfall, but similiar concets and all? Surely that would not breach the IP contract that EA made with MS...

That's a pretty sketch thing to do.

iMax

Microsoft must have paid Electronic Arts some SERIOUS money to keep this exclusive.

The PS4 has sold well over 5 million units and the Japan launch isn't until Saturday.

Not to mention the 80 million PS3 units already out there...

EA is losing soooooo many PS3/PS4 sales (and future DLC sales too) over this deal with MS. I seriously hope they got a TON of money from MS on this deal...

Well the deal was probably done long before anyone had 'seen Titanfall'. As far as EA was concerned, it was a new IP, therefore risky, so I'm sure they were cool with it. Although in hindsight, perhaps they misjudged the weight of Respawn's heritage.

deadlast

Not to mention the 80 million PS3 units already out there...

I think EA took a calculated risk that the xbox one Would sale better and that the FPS crowd wouldn't migrate to PS4.

nynt9

Money talks. Either Respawn don't have as much control as you think, or EA gave them a piece from dat huge money hat MS gave them to make it exclusive.

Mask

I wouldn't be surprised if EA has already started plans to use the escape clause in their contract to break the exclusivity. They're already missing out on 5.3 or more, million sales by not having a PS4 version, and countless more from the PS3 users.

I still expect a Dead Rising 3 Frank West version to make it's way to the PS4 at some point. Capcpom likes money too much.

Funding a game that otherwise wouldn't be made and making it exclusive e.g. B2 is fine.
Paying money to prevent others from playing a game isn't... but that's just my 2 cents...

Yeah, paying to keep a game off of rival platforms is a shitty thing to do. The worst kind of business in this industry.

Mesoian

Short term gain vs long term brand awareness/momentum. Sure they get a nice cheque but I bet they are constantly looking at the PS4 sales and seeing if it was worth it the end.

I bet the tens of millions Microsoft had to give up will make it a far less bitter pill to swallow.

Standby for TitanFall Sigma

but in all honesty MS blatantly confirmed it back in November that they outright bought exclusivity for the first title... barring it from coming out on their other console competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom