• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PS3 and PS4 mention in PC texture files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waaghals

Didn't EA change the agreement with MS from timed to console exclusive without telling Respawn? I got that impression from a tweet a while back.

I would guess that Respawn was working on at least a PS4 version until it was ruled out late last year, and they will probably port the sequel.

I think the deal EA made with MS makes a port of TF1 impossible regardless of how much sense it would make. Any sequels will definitely be multi platform though.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA has already started plans to use the escape clause in their contract to break the exclusivity. They're already missing out on 5.3 or more, million sales by not having a PS4 version, and countless more from the PS3 users.

I still expect a Dead Rising 3 Frank West version to make it's way to the PS4 at some point. Capcpom likes money too much.

I don't think MS is stupid enough to leave such obvious clauses in their contracts. Certainly in the case of DR3, MS paid for the majority of its development and published it, so I can't see it ever making the leap to PS4. Similarly, EA and MS are cosy in bed together this gen so I don't think we're going to see EA trying to stab them in the back any time soon.

Didn't EA change the agreement with MS from timed to console exclusive without telling Respawn? I got that impression from a tweet a while back.

I would guess that Respawn was working on at least a PS4 version until it was ruled out late last year, and they will probably port the sequel.

I think the deal EA made with MS makes a port of TF1 impossible regardless of how much sense it would make. Any sequels will definitely be multi platform though.

The tweet from West - or was it Zampella? - a while back pretty much confirmed that EA and MS had entered the agreement without consulting Respawn. It was initially a timed agreement and always intended to launch on Xbone/PC first, but MS offered more money to permanently keep it from PlayStation. I guess that's the way these things happen sometimes when a company like EA owns the publishing rights to the game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

They did tell Respawn, after the deal was made, and very shortly before it was announced officially. Shortly as in days or possibly hours given the tone of Vince's tweets that day.

Mesoian

There were a couple tweets and listings that suggested that. But at the end of the day...the publisher's word is law. It's that very attitude that gets EA into so much fucking trouble every year.

Mrbob

I bet the tens of millions Microsoft had to give up will make it a far less bitter pill to swallow.

If EAs CEO isn't lying, he stated the TitanFall exclusivity deal was based off of projections from years ago. This means the projected number of sales they expected on PS4 is going to be way off. EA got paid by MS a sum for the amount of the copies they expected to sell on Playstation. Unless MS gave EA more money recently, MS got a steal on this deal. EA knows they screwed up ( both signing this deal and what they got for it ) but what are they going to do? They can't do anything else they break up the contract, which they cannot do unless an out clause gets enacted.

Well the deal was probably done long before anyone had 'seen Titanfall'. As far as EA was concerned, it was a new IP, therefore risky, so I'm sure they were cool with it. Although in hindsight, perhaps they misjudged the weight of Respawn's heritage.

That can't be true - why else would they have been working on PS3/PS4 versions before the deal was announced?

Unless this took Respawn completely by surprise, since EA was doing the deals.

There are loopholes in every contract. I am sure EA could some way wiggle their way out of the MS exclusivity if they had to. I doubt we will see TitanFall on PS3/PS4 though.

Mesoian

If EAs CEO isn't lying, he stated the TitanFall exclusivity deal was based off of projections from years ago. This means the projected number of sales they expected on PS4 is going to be way off. Unless MS gave EA more money recently, MS got a steal on this deal. EA knows they screwed up ( both signing this deal and what they got for it ) but what are they going to do? They can't do anything else they break up the contract, which they cannot do unless an out clause gets enacted.

Well, if true, it'll just further cement the idea that EA is the worst possible publisher you can go with. ::Shrugs::

Even if Titanfall : Sigma was an option, would Respawn/EA do it?

Firstly, that means allocating more resources to build a PS4 port, and delaying DLC/support for the current PC/XB1/360 versions of the game. And development for the sequel either.

Furthermore, pulling a Sigma is going to piss the hell out of MS. I can't imagine MS being happy that a screwjob got pulled over them, since they paid so much to prevent it from happening.

EA and MS have a good relationship at the moment, and unless MS does something that pisses EA off, I think they'd rather swallow the bitter pill of no PS Titanfall SKU profits than piss MS off.

rayisbeast

Neo Member
The game was suppose to be for last gen. The whole reason they chose the source engine was because it is easier to hit 60 fps on the PS3 with it. There is a article on Polygon(?) where they talk about it. They then dropped the PS3.

protonion

All this drama for a mp only shooter...
Single player TF would be more appealing to me.

The deal was dumb for both sides. EA didn't get the lost profits and MS lost millions for ... what exactly? A 100.000 jump?

Peter Moore tweeting to random people doing damage control shows his panic.

There are loopholes in every contract. I am sure EA could some way wiggle their way out of the MS exclusivity if they had to. I doubt we will see TitanFall on PS3/PS4 though.
I'm sure EA could get out of the contract if they paid back every single cent that MS paid them for the exclusivity (plus, depending on the contract, possible penalties). Not sure they'd want to do that, though.

Firstly, that means allocating more resources to build a PS4 port, and delaying DLC/support for the current PC/XB1/360 versions of the game. And development for the sequel either.

Furthermore, pulling a Sigma is going to piss the hell out of MS. I can't imagine MS being happy that a screwjob got pulled over them, since they paid so much to prevent it from happening.

EA and MS have a good relationship at the moment, and unless MS does something that pisses EA off, I think they'd rather swallow the bitter pill of no PS Titanfall SKU profits than piss MS off.

What's MS going to do? With the sales they're having they days of them having significant pull are numbered

Adam182

Banned
Why do some think respawn was in the dark on the exclusive deal?. This is business. They knew what was going on the whole time. They may not be happy but they weren't in the dark.

Titanfall is not happening on playstation 4 at all. It's been confirmed months ago

They did tell Respawn, after the deal was made, and very shortly before it was announced officially. Shortly as in days or possibly hours given the tone of Vince's tweets that day.

lol I remember that. That's why they left Activision in the first place, they wanted more control.

TrueCoins

Banned
Does nobody else think they will do a Ninja Gaiden Sigma?
Or a Super Street Fighter? or Dead Rising - Off The Record?

The first Titanfall yeah wont be for PS3+4 (This is a true statement) But it doesn't mean the are not being deceitful and aloof on purpose. Where they just release Affix Titanfall: Prefix

So who's to say they don't have a TF Sigma or Super or Directors Cuts of sorts, with new modes, maps, textures, etc. Maybe even with a proper single player campaign.

It will be at least 2 years before a real Titanfall 2 comes out (since with Call of Duty they had 2 teams to do yearly releases in rotation) I don't see them getting ANY brand of Titanfall on PS3/4 within a year.

Not surprising. Titanfall wasn't always a "lifetime" lock for Xbox (Hell, Respawn didn't even know until after it happened), and as such, they probably have elements of code that would reference other versions. Unless money talks again, and much louder next time I imagine, Titanfall 2 will be a multiplat.

I don't think Mass Effect games sold particularly well for PS3. Decent, but nowhere near its full potential.

Came out way later though and it's a game that heavily relies on the story and playing with your character game through game. Not really the same at all like playing some multiplayer online arcady shooter.

I'm sure EA could get out of the contract if they paid back every single cent that MS paid them for the exclusivity (plus, depending on the contract, possible penalties). Not sure they'd want to do that, though.

No it would be more than MS paid them. MS would just sue them over breach of contract.

There's little reason to do this with an MP-only shooter anyway. Titanfall 2 will fully replace Titanfall (the only real counterexample to this I can think of is the irreplaceable UT99). For all intents and purposes, TF2 on all platforms will serve the same purpose that a "TF Sigma" would.

Came out way later though and it's a game that heavily relies on the story and playing with your character game through game. Not really the same at all like playing some multiplayer online arcady shooter.

EA/Bioware : Mass Effect 2/3 is the best place to jump in for new gamers! /s

I'm sure they've said stuff like this many times.

It happens to a lot of games. It's just popular to call it out when MS does it.

I think in this instance it's popular to talk about it because it's going to be a big game. Not like Haze, which always looked dodgy despite the developer's history.

Respawn really should've gone indie on this.

Gone indie with what - you mean Titanfall?! No way could they have paid the bills themselves. They'd probably need upwards of $100 million for complete development and marketing costs. If it were a smaller project there'd be nowhere near this level of hype surrounding it.

Mask

I don't think MS is stupid enough to leave such obvious clauses in their contracts. Certainly in the case of DR3, MS paid for the majority of its development and published it, so I can't see it ever making the leap to PS4. Similarly, EA and MS are cosy in bed together this gen so I don't think we're going to see EA trying to stab them in the back any time soon.

Contracts aren't a one way thing. Either MS or EA approached the other first, and proposed an exclusivity deal and submitted a preliminary contract, then the other side comes back with either an agreement, or an edited contract. If EA wanted the escape clause in, MS would have to like it, propose something that they both agree on, or refuse it.

In the case of DR3, there's nothing stopping them from releasing it with a changed up story and protaganist. MS would have to buy the rights to stop them from doing that.

10 months from now:

TItanfall: GOTY Edition - Includes all updates and DLC
---For THE PLAYSTATION 4---

...and oh yea, it'll be 1080p native and run at 60 FPS.

...and it'll come with an "inFamous" Titan (PS4 Exclusive) that absorbs neon from nearby signs/power sources and shoots it at other Titans.

;)

casmith07

Surely EA will not be able to go with all those lost sales for too long before pulling the trigger on multi-platform release.

Doesn't matter since I'm getting it for PC, but I also have a PS4 and like the idea of playing it there where controllers are standard and there's no disparity between those gaming on a gamepad and KBM.

Orca

Hm, migrate?

Should probably check BF4 right now:
PS4: 45,146
PS3: 45,824

PC: 58,291

Xbox 360: 34,562
Xbox One: 15,069

Oops, sorry EA.

Yeah...what game could people on Xbox One possibly be playing right now that would keep them from playing Battlefield 4....

I remember them being pretty open about this game being planned for release on Sony consoles after a timed exclusive, until EA stepped in

Tomb Raider DE sold at basically 2:1 between PS4 and X1, so if this trend continues I'm sure EA will be ready to say goodbye to MS exclusives.

Odd that we are still seeing these third party exclusives since it pretty much died down last gen except for internal or owned studios like Lionhead or Santa Monica.

Also just looking at the upcoming line up MS is banking more on these third part exclusives versus actual new IPs, while Sony has been using its own studios.

The 360 in its last year was a wasteland while the PS3 had some of its best games ever.

Adam182

Banned
Lol @ some of the thoughts that this contract was written on a napkin at Starbucks. Two of the biggest companies in gaming don't just come up with rinky dink contracts with loopholes everywhere.

Contra11

Banned
What a dumb move on EA's part to allow Microsoft to lock it down. Third party exclusives are so stupid nowadays. When you want to establish a brand for the coming years launch on every strong platform possible!

I think not only Microsoft but third party want the Xbox One to be a success , its not good for industry if the Xbox One fails , EA aware of this and they have other multiplatform games they want to sell well on both consoles

did we really need another one of those threads?

we might know, but only if someone can tell us what "life of the product" really means.

That language is incredibly fluffy. It even has quotations when they say it. I just can't shake the feeling that PS4 will see the original Titanfall in some way, shape or form.

... releasing it with a changed up story and protaganist. MS would have to buy the rights to stop them from doing that.
Really? I wouldn't have thought that as MS Studios published it it wouldn't be able to be republished by Capcom to other platforms.

Yeah...what game could people on Xbox One possibly be playing right now that would keep them from playing Battlefield 4....
The numbers are usually in favor of PS4/PS3 but I do take your point. I have rarely seen more people playing BF4 on the Xbox One than PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom