• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PS3 and PS4 mention in PC texture files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some think respawn was in the dark on the exclusive deal?. This is business. They knew what was going on the whole time. They may not be happy but they weren't in the dark.

titanfall-tweet.jpg

This says Respawn found out about the exclusivity after it was made. I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.

lol I remember that. That's why they left Activision in the first place, they wanted more control. I wonder who is going to publish Titanfall 2.

EA will be publishing Titanfall 2; they are funding the first game and will have at least first refusal on publishing the sequels. They may already own the publishing rights to a sequel assuming it gets made.

Hasn't similar references to PS3 been found in games that run on cross platform engines? I seem to remember this popping up with a couple Unreal 3 games like Gears of War.

azhar

Banned
All this drama for a mp only shooter...
Single player TF would be more appealing to me.

The deal was dumb for both sides. EA didn't get the lost profits and MS lost millions for ... what exactly? A 100.000 jump?

Peter Moore tweeting to random people doing damage control shows his panic.

Securing Titanfall exclusivity is shaping up to be MS's biggest slam dunk since Windows 7. I seriously doubt they regret making that decision.

Contracts aren't a one way thing. Either MS or EA approached the other first, and proposed an exclusivity deal and submitted a preliminary contract, then the other side comes back with either an agreement, or an edited contract. If EA wanted the escape clause in, MS would have to like it, propose something that they both agree on, or refuse it.

In the case of DR3, there's nothing stopping them from releasing it with a changed up story and protaganist. MS would have to buy the rights to stop them from doing that.
I think a lot of that deal was down to the early dev kits where of the two consoles the Xbox One was far and away the obvious choice to succeed. I think at one point the PS4 had only 2GBs of ram. Amazing how quick that turned around, but I feel feedback from EA's internal studios about that early Orbis dev kit may well have prompted those deals with Microsoft in the first place.

I still feel EA may well look into a new deal with Sony though after these incredible sales figures.

blazeuk

MS have played more of a role than simply paying for an exclusivity deal, they're the ones who have promoted this game to the point where there's unbelievable hype surrounding it, that alone is worth a lot for a new IP. There's no point being bitter over it, sadly that's just business and the way the market has been going for a long time, they're all trying to sell consoles so they'll look for exclusive deals to attract people, paying money for that is a lot less effort than creating new studios to make something for you.

iMax

Gone indie with what - you mean Titanfall?! No way could they have paid the bills themselves. They'd probably need upwards of $100 million for complete development and marketing costs. If it were a smaller project there'd be nowhere near this level of hype surrounding it.

I mean with the publishing agreement. EA have exclusive publishing rights on this IP, which basically means it's their IP. They have so much industry clout, they should've been more bullish!

Con_Smith

Banned
All this drama for a mp only shooter...
Single player TF would be more appealing to me.

The deal was dumb for both sides. EA didn't get the lost profits and MS lost millions for ... what exactly? A 100.000 jump?

Peter Moore tweeting to random people doing damage control shows his panic.

Didn't know about these tweets? Is this recent or just on going damage control from working at EA?

Even if Titanfall : Sigma was an option, would Respawn/EA do it?

Firstly, that means allocating more resources to build a PS4 port, and delaying DLC/support for the current PC/XB1/360 versions of the game. And development for the sequel either.

Furthermore, pulling a Sigma is going to piss the hell out of MS. I can't imagine MS being happy that a screwjob got pulled over them, since they paid so much to prevent it from happening.

EA and MS have a good relationship at the moment, and unless MS does something that pisses EA off, I think they'd rather swallow the bitter pill of no PS Titanfall SKU profits than piss MS off.

The fuck is Microsoft gonna do, deny them the privilage of having Battlefield or Madden on their console?

EA may be cozy with Microsoft but that partnership is quickly becoming a detriment when it comes to next gen install base. Again they hurt themselves harder than their biggest industry rival by going full greed instead of just taking the exclusive content route like Activision. While they got their Microsoft cash their game is reaching less people than it would have being truely multiplatform and now they just have to grin and hope Titanfall becomes this magical system seller even though its a multiplayer only game that is entering CoDs home turf.

Meanwhile Activision has Destiny going true multiplat while offering exclusive to PlayStation owners, meanwhile they will probably get their yearly check from Microsoft for month exclusivity on maps and still have less worse company in America awards than EA. I expect this partnership between EA and Microsoft to crumble as things look to only get greener on the Sony side because even if Titanfall becomes some success it ain't gonna blow the Xbone past the PS4. EA loves money, but while you can buy exclusivity that doesn't pay for people to actually play your game or buy your dlc.

Securing Titanfall exclusivity is shaping up to be MS's biggest slam dunk since Windows 7. I seriously doubt they regret making that decision.

it really is one of the few things they done right in the past three years. even if the way they went about it was underhanded and sleazy

besada

Banned
That language is incredibly fluffy. It even has quotations when they say it. I just can't shake the feeling that PS4 will see the original Titanfall in some way, shape or form.

I just can't shake the feeling that this is another glorified port begging thread for Titanfall.

bidguy

Banned
titanfall-tweet.jpg

This says Respawn found out about the exclusivity after it was made. I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.

EA will be publishing Titanfall 2; they are funding the first game and will have at least first refusal on publishing the sequels. They may already own the publishing rights to a sequel assuming it gets made.

i find it disingenious that he appears to be sad about it but then goes and gives EA publishing rights to future titles aswell

$ i guess

TrueCoins

Banned
People are complaining about the graphics on PC, so I'm not sure how 1080p on PS4 would make much of a difference.

NBA2K14 was basically the PS3/360 on PC

The game is released with poor textures on purpose. And without a story

While PS4 gets updated textures, and a story campaign! And it's Called Titanfall Sigma.
Or heck Titanfall 2. Doesnt matter what they call it. Same game just polished with graphics with a tee with more content.

Maybe now they can finally do a Dinosaur Mode?

meanspartan

Those stupid bastards. I hope they watch ps4 sales go higher and higher after basing their exclusivity deal on assuming xbone would be selling better.

And I still think "for the life of the product" is an odd term to use. Why not just say "its never coming to the playstation platforms."?

I think ps4 will get a goty edition in a year.

NBA2K14 was basically the PS3/360 on PC

The game is released with poor textures on purpose. And without a story

While PS4 gets updated textures, and a story campaign! And it's Called Titanfall Sigma.
Or heck Titanfall 2. Doesnt matter what they call it. Same game just polished with graphics with a tee with more content.

Maybe now they can finally do a Dinosaur Mode?

Dinosaur mode?

what is this BF?

B33

Banned
If Titanfall takes off and Microsoft doesn't strike another exclusivity deal, a PS4 version of a future installment is likely. For now, the franchise is a PC/Xbox exclusive. It wasn't always this way, but money talks. Timed exclusivity became permanent exclusivity for the life of the first game.

At least there's a PC version.

Roshin

"Sorry, Playstation 4"

7vy8.png

(Image credit: Goodacre0081)

I'm probably reading too much into it, but the wording in "life of the title" is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if EA are looking into possibilities of a special edition of some sort that would release on all major platforms. I'd love to have a look at the Titanfall contract. :D

Durante

There's no PS4 mention in the image in the OP. In fact, considering the rest of the files, I'd say it's explicitly not mentioned.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
I have this reoccurring dream where MS leaves the console business, Sony tells EA to fuck off, you're not publishing any games on our platforms, EA goes out of business, and I get a BJ from Kate Upton. Is there something wrong with me, GAF?

Respawn pretty much said as much when they were first asked if the game was coming to the PS4. I am not direct quoting but it was something akin to, " well we are concentrating on our first platforms so we can concentrate on the gameplay, but anything is possible in the future! "

Then I believe in future interviews they basically stated they wanted the game to hit everything, to maximize sales and exposure.

MS probably noticed this, and saw people wanting the PS4 version, so those people would not have any reason to purchase a X1 to play the game, so they decided to entice EA into purchasing the IP.

The question remains, did they purchase Titanfall 1 forever, ala Mass Effect, or did they purchase the entire IP. That I think has not been fully explained.

Tawpgun

They'll probably pull a Mass Effect.

Keep the first one exclusive, maybe timed exclusive for the sequel, and then it will be on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom