• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU (Before & After E3 demo) MAJOR differences!

Dragon

Banned
Well the area waves are pretty much what I'm talking about. They often comes from areas you've already cleared which is a huge immersion breaker. The second story of the hotel (ie the area immediately after the E3 demo part) had guys coming up the stairs as part of the second wave even though the downstairs was entirely clear.

The only time it really bugs me though is that sometimes Joel will do a "loud kill" after grabbing the last guy in the area even if you've been entirely stealth up till then, and then that can trigger the "you got spotted" wave.

I have only gotten him to do that if it's the last enemy in the area and it never triggered me to get spotted.

zma1013

Overall I've had a really inconsistance experience with the AI. Sometimes I literally choke out a dude 3 feet from another dude and it's all fine. Sometimes an enemy spots me from upstairs and across a courtyard. I still don't know why sometimes clickers spot me and sometimes they don't. Ellie for some reason loves running in circles like a crazy dog, sometimes she'll just hop from cover to cover, just about bumping into infected. It's a fine game but AI has a long way to go and this game doesn't feel like anything groundbreaking to me.

Are you taking into account the speed at which you're sneaking?

If you sneak at full speed, clickers and other infected will hear you. If you sneak at slow speed, they will not. It depends on how far you push the control stick.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ultron87 said:
Well the area waves are pretty much what I'm talking about. They often comes from areas you've already cleared which is a huge immersion breaker. The second story of the hotel (ie the area immediately after the E3 demo part) had guys coming up the stairs as part of the second wave even though the downstairs was entirely clear.

Enemies don't have to take the stairs, they can also path through the collapsed room/ramp. I know they can do this because I've seen them use this route.

The Hotel battle is very, very dynamic based on how aggressive you are at attacking the hunters on the ground floor and how much attention you draw.

zma1013

The only time it really bugs me though is that sometimes Joel will do a "loud kill" after grabbing the last guy in the area even if you've been entirely stealth up till then, and then that can trigger the "you got spotted" wave.

I dunno if that's immersion breaking for me. The environments often have doors and windows and places where a person could possibly come from even if the game draws them as invisible borders for you. It's certainly not out of the realm of reality to think there could be other people around the city hearing gunshots going off and climbing up or coming in the same entrance you just did. We know it's "spawning" people in, but it still works within a theoretical reality.

And as the other guy said, enemies can navigate all the places you can.

Jonboy

How do you define bad?

For me, good AI is not about how realistically it reacts to normal stimuli (ie - like real life), rather, how well it works within the confines of the games systems. There is a big difference between sensitive AI and AI designed for fun.

The AI in The Last of Us works brilliantly, I think, offering a perfect blend of semi-realistic behavior with patterns and reactions that allow the player a proper chance at success.
Really agree with this. I thought the AI was great.

No one wants true realism. If you had that, there's no way one man alone could take out that many guys.

Here's a quick video on survivor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ0ZBGkEUU&hd=1 (warning, contains graphic scenes)

I'll try to do some more later.

But seriously, play the game before making judgment. Yes there will be awkward moments with AI, there's those in like every game, but this game has some of the best AI in any video game around.
Nice. I'm playing on Survivor now and I'd recommend it to everyone. In fact, I would argue that you don't even get the full experience playing on normal. I've seen scenarios play out completely different while playing on Survivor.

Gold_Loot

It's obvious that there was some scripted elements in the e3 demo for showcasing purposes, but I've seen pretty much everything in that demo happen in the final game. Now, I haven't seen it all happen in a single instance like last year's show, but I can honestly say the game hits a good 95% of what we saw then.

zma1013

Enemies don't have to take the stairs, they can also path through the collapsed room/ramp. I know they can do this because I've seen them use this route.

The Hotel battle is very, very dynamic based on how aggressive you are at attacking the hunters on the ground floor and how much attention you draw.

Oh yes, I've had a guy climb right up the collapsed area in that part to get behind me. Surprised me as I thought he wouldn't.

It feels similar to me, but on the plus side you (the player) have way more options to deal with enemies AND there generally are far fewer enemies so overall it's a more pleasant experience.

In Uncharted enemies are pasive, here they seek for ways to go for you and you can´t be quiet in cover. You can´t neither use cover to make the game a shooting gallery because as soon as you aim you get fired and you can´t blind fire neither.
Well, in Uncharted 2, the tibetan temple level had a similar cat and dog AI that i like so much...

RyanDG

\ I still don't know why sometimes clickers spot me and sometimes they don't.

Any possibility that they were stalkers instead of clickers in some of those cases? My first several encounters with the stalkers I tried to play them like clickers and quickly learned that they are two separate beasts.

The AI is the best since Fear. So...

Seeing the video I disagree. And the fact enemies have barely any awareness of the fact they are in the open and ready to accept your shots easily is really like Uncharted.

It can't be compared to FEAR, with enemies flanking you, getting ready to cover, etc...

You haven't played it but you've already made up your mind over one youtube video that is obviously just as 'scripted' to break as the E3 demo people are complaining about? What a load of crap.

I'm not even comparing it to just another scripted E3 video. Just seeing how crappy are the I.A reactions, which shares a lot of similarities with Uncharted games.

Seeing the video I disagree. And the fact enemies have barely any awareness of the fact they are in the open and ready to accept your shots easily is really like Uncharted.

It can't be compared to FEAR, with enemies flanking you, getting ready to cover, etc...

which video though?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Joke post?

Not reading through at least a small portion of the thread should be bannable..

They had all those behaviours, but not all behave the same: some come for you like mad men, some flank you and some get cover to shoot on you. How many times i am in a fight and one of the dudes take me from my back...
Such a variety is what gives the game so much value in the AI department.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

I'm not even comparing it to just another scripted E3 video. Just seeing how crappy are the I.A reactions, which shares a lot of similarities with Uncharted games.

How can you expect anyone to take your comments seriously when you haven't even played the game?

OrbitScant

Neo Member
This is obviously a troll post. There have been a lot of posts about TLOU over the last few days trying to do the game down. The same sort of thing happened at the launch of PS3 with games like Resistance. I smell the influence of a certain competitor.

Crisco

Banned
People act like this is a new thing. The first demo of Half-Life 2 showed what was supposedly unscripted soldier AI doing things like knocking out boards covering a door and shooting through them. Turns out that was all bullshit, if anything the AI was dumber than the original Half-Life, soldiers mostly just ran straight at you and died. Developers do this all time.

Yup, I've definitely seen the AI do pretty much all of the things you see in the E3 demo (except for the *tries to grab your gun* guy), but I've never seen it work together so seamlessly and realistically. Theoretically it could happen like that, but probably super rarely.
Nah I don't believe it can ever happen like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApCMW1F7a0

The sequence from 10:10 to 13:24 is not how the game plays. It's full of scripting to make the AI seem absolutely perfect, and there are plenty of little things that I've never seen or heard in the game (and I just played that section for the fourth time, trying various things out).

10:23 Running away saying 'he's got a gun'
10:30 'How many are there?'
10:39 'He's right by the door'
10:48 Guy surprise attack from the side, holding Joel for another enemy to shoot, 'hold him still!'
11:53 Ellie saying 'Joel over there' with perfect timing.
12:12 Chasing down the last guy, lots of incidental dialogue from Joel.
13:12 Joel calling for Ellie and her turning up, and perfectly reacting to the final body on the floor.

Some of these things I may have just not seen in my playthroughs, but others are just too seamless and I believe were made and scripted specifically for this demo.

ScOULaris

Any possibility that they were stalkers instead of clickers in some of those cases? My first several encounters with the stalkers I tried to play them like clickers and quickly learned that they are two separate beasts.

Oh, yeah. This happened to me a few times before I figured out what was happening. I was getting pissed at the A.I. when it was my fault for not knowing the difference.

Dragon

Banned

The sequence from 10:10 to 13:24 is not how the game plays. It's full of scripting to make the AI seem absolutely perfect, and there are plenty of little things that I've never seen or heard in the game (and I just played that section for the fourth time, trying various things out).

10:48 Guy surprise attack from the side, holding Joel for another enemy to shoot, 'hold him still!'
13:12 Joel calling for Ellie and her turning up, and perfectly reacting to the final body on the floor.

Some of these things I may have just not seen in my playthroughs, but others are just too seamless and I believe were made and scripted specifically for this demo.

I've seen the first five items in my one playthrough on hard.

The only you have to read is the OP, which I did.

Edit: Wow, I touched some beehive

Making uninformed posts and then playing the victim is pretty lame bro.

Well, minding what you say is the analogy to keeping the stick away from said beehive. You can have your own opinion, but at least be smart enough not to base it on small cuts of gameplay that focus on a certain exploited behavior. As I've said before, some of the AI acted weird for me: one guy was standing looking into a wall. Alright, I can live with that. But this guy made a video about all those exceptions matching them all together as if it was the normal occurrence.

Also, metalmurphy, you should add your video as a video reply.

Rippa

The differences I see, which I wish would've stayed in the final product, is that Joel doesn't "quickly/frantically" move while crouched like in the E3 demo. And it looks like the impact followed by a loud thud when Joel quicly moves and presses his back against the wall or waist high object was removed. Both of those elements would've been more immersive in the final product. The A.I. was all in all acceptable though. No complaints here for this GOTY contender.

Yup, I've definitely seen the AI do pretty much all of the things you see in the E3 demo (except for the *tries to grab your gun* guy), but I've never seen it work together so seamlessly and realistically. Theoretically it could happen like that, but probably super rarely.

(The only thing that ever really bothers me about the AI is when it spawns extra dudes after you get spotted.)

Did it? That would explain some scenarios that seemed particularly bad. I hate spawning enemies in games like this.

Don't recall ever seeing the AI search drawers, but others say they have, The one major complaint I had with the AI and it felt immersion breaking was no real sense of fear. In a lot of situations, when I was just flat out wiping these guys out they still decided that it was in their best interest to go after me. They didn't seem in any way scared that the heavily armed man was going to y'know wipe them out, like he had to the half dozen of their buddies. Hell, something akin to the Arkham system where they panic after a while would have fit in well and been great.

Fact is it often felt that the enemies were just a little too focused on killing Joel instead of staying alive. I never once saw an enemy surrender, cower in a corner, or anything like that.

Again, the AI was pretty good, but it did seem WAY too one track at times.

aristotle

Dude at least read the page you're posting on., It's been proven. There's even a video. Either watch it or just keep trolling.

Sorry but just because you haven't seen it a few times doesn't mean any of that is fake. It's happened to almost everyone else that has played the game. I've had all of that happen except for someone holding Joel. Everything else has happened to me on several of my play throughs.

Imm0rt4l

Yeah I don't want to sound like a naughty dog apologist but the video was clearly using glitches/bugs to try and prove a point. Making a proper video without that nonsense would have been more genuine.
Basically.

These are exceptions, not the rule.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Most people don't realize that overly smart AI can destroy fun pretty quickly. I hated the AI in FEAR for how often they would just disappear and the next thing you know you're being suppressed and flanked.

But that's part of what made FEAR actually good lol (and I don't mean any negativity towards LoU I haven't played it myself yet)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry but just because you haven't seen it a few times doesn't mean any of that is fake. It's happened to almost everyone else that has played the game. I've had all of that happen except for someone holding Joel. Everything else has happened to me on several of my play throughs.
That happened to other posters.

I've seen the first five items in my one playthrough on hard.
I'm surprised that I've never come across an enemy grabbing Joel for another to shoot at, but if it's there, fair enough. Those five are the more reasonable things that could be still in the game, but it's quite suspicious that they all happen perfectly within a minute or so.
The last two things have happened? o_O

aristotle

That happened to other posters.

Hah awesome. I try not to get too close if I can help it.

I'm surprised that I've never come across an enemy grabbing Joel for another to shoot at, but if it's there, fair enough. Those five are the more reasonable things that could be still in the game, but it's quite suspicious that they all happen perfectly within a minute or so.

Yes. I don't see how it's so hard to believe. There are multiple people who have disagreed with you several times yet you don't believe it.

jett

D-Member
I've been held countless times in TLoU on my normal run. I'm surprised that hasn't happened to people at all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've been held countless times in TLoU on my normal run. I'm surprised that hasn't happened to people at all.
What's amusing is how a lot of people complained that The Last of Us looks scripted as fuck at E3 2012 and now this thread exists and posters are saying it was all faked because the final game isn't scripted as fuck and it doesn't look exactly like that, despite having the majority of parts preserved.

Kade

People called you out on your uneducated posts and you're crying about it. Every game has videos of the AI acting stupid. It doesn't mean that that's how they behave throughout the whole game or that everyone will experience the AI behaving that way. That's the beauty of AI; it's dynamic and the behaviour is dependant on a lot of factors and switches. Sometimes you'll see it do crazy things and other times you'll wonder why the hell it's acting so stupid.

I bolded what I saw in my playthrough.

Kinyou

This is obviously a troll post. There have been a lot of posts about TLOU over the last few days trying to do the game down. The same sort of thing happened at the launch of PS3 with games like Resistance. I smell the influence of a certain competitor.
How is pointing out that the E3 demo was heavily scripted (while we were told it was not) trolling?

Yes. I don't see how it's so hard to believe. There are multiple people who have disagreed with you several times yet you don't believe it.
It's so hard to believe, particularly the last one, because it's perfect - like a mo-capped cutscene.

Only you have said you have seen this, not multiple people.

meta4

That has happened many times to me. I had to mash square to go out of the hold while the other enemy is aiming at me.

The last two things are pretty common as well. As soon as I got the last kill Joel says Ellie come on and she comes and sees the body and is all grossed out. It has happened even in normal. I guess what you are trying to say is all this happening in a single fight is too good to be true which may be true. They may picked all the best AI reactions in the game and put it in one single demo. I guess that is what you are trying to say ? I have had all of this happening in the game.

My main complaints with the game is the dumb, easily exploitable AI (at the very least these guys need to get some glasses, jeez) and the way too frequent checkpointing (at the very least MIDROOM CHECKPOINTS after killing like 4 enemies was probably a bit much).

zma1013

I've seen most of that stuff in my playthrough. I've certainly had Ellie warn me about a guy getting ready to attack me on several occasions.

aristotle

How is pointing out that the E3 demo was heavily scripted (while we were told it was not) trolling?

Because it doesn't appear scripted for everyone? I mean the AI is context sensitive it seems. If you pull off certain criteria, the AI will act according based on the environment & situation. I bet if someone played that section the exact same as the E3 demo, it would be almost exactly the same. Most people have had those same reactions from the AI in different parts of the game.

My main complaints with the game is the dumb, easily exploitable AI (at the very least these guys need to get some glasses, jeez) and the way too frequent checkpointing (at the very least MIDROOM CHECKPOINTS after killing like 4 enemies was probably a bit much).

wow!. Now we go from scripted AI in E3 to AI is dumb!!!.
Show me please a game with a little ( only a little eh ) better AI...

Top Bottom