• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU (Before & After E3 demo) MAJOR differences!

aristotle

It's so hard to believe, particularly the last one, because it's perfect - like a mo-capped cutscene.

Only you have said you have seen this, not multiple people.

Dude you're just trying to pick everything apart for some agenda it seems. I don't know what to tell you. Ellie said similar things on several occasions when I burned 4+ enemies with a molotov.

They may picked all the best AI reactions in the game and put it in one single demo. I guess that is what you are trying to say ?
That is what I'm trying to say, and the only way to do that is with scripting.

I've seen most of that stuff in my playthrough. I've certainly had Ellie warn me about a guy getting ready to attack me on several occasions.
Yeah I've had many warnings from Ellie as I'm about to get punched or whatever, but not an 'over there' while in stealth (which is weird, because I was using stealth at every opportunity).

katkombat

Banned
So, I've stumbled upon a video that compares the final version of the game compared to the E3 demo. Personally, I have enjoyed it with the AI delivering some depth (on Hard Mode). However, I did NOT expect the AI difference to be this drastic. ND stated that they had to tone down the AI for your allies but not the enemies (at least to my knowledge). So far, we really need to elaborate on this "Balance of Power" they've constantly used as a selling point for the game and we're hardly seeing any of it. Observe below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAm...est about it and the mistakes they made, etc.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What is your argument in the end?

The game has all the constituent parts of what the demo playthrough shows so there is no deception going on from a feature perspective, but not every playthrough at home of every player will look as seamless as the E3 one?

8byte

Banned
I'm guessing it was something like Uncharted 3 where you were constantly being flanked and charged at in a not so fair and fun way.
I'm just guessing though.

The A.I. in the Last of Us is overall pretty bad, but for some reason this is more noticeable at the start.
I remember in the first stealth encounter of all I was strangling a dude 3 feet away from another enemy, but since the other enemy was turned the other way he didn't even react...that was very immersion breaking. His friend was suffocating and fighting for his life right behind him and he just stood there.
I think the later encounters (except the last one) are fairly well designed and for some reason this kind of stuff was less noticeable, but still there. The encounters with infected are really cool as well.

Still loved the game to death. The game was more about atmosphere, for me anyway :)
Silly point to make, immersion be damned. If the guy turns around then there's no point to stealth, and then you have to increase the ammo availability in the game, effectively removing the "survivor" elements.

It was a clear consession to maintain the vision, not a sign of "bad AI".

katkombat

Banned

Yeah I've had many warnings from Ellie as I'm about to get punched or whatever, but not an 'over there' while in stealth (which is weird, because I was using stealth at every opportunity).

Honestly, I'm more surprised at the stuff that isn't scripted at E3. If that was your argument though, I think we know it was scripted a bit.

panda21

on the one hand most of the encounters I have had don't tend to play out as well as that E3 demo.

but the youtub video in the OP seems more like bugs than anything else (being able to stand infront of an enemy without them seeing you doesn't usually happen).

the game has pretty great AI. i often get caught ought because i'm trying to play it like a standard videogame, and then it does something i wasn't expecting.

zma1013

Generally she warns you by saying something and sometimes it will even highlight the person she's warning you about in white. I've had her tell me who's got a gun, who's coming at me from the side, things like that. She's very helpful in that way.

Yeah.. That "expresses fear" part was very obvious to me when playing the game. They did not fear for their lives at all. Instead they invited others of their group to join in on the slaughter.

Yup, and it was very annoying. Really broke the immersion for me to see enemies just rush me, only to fall to my weapons.

I played on Hard, and the instances when A.I behaves poorly, it really sticks out. That E3 demo misled me to believe most of the game would be that way.

I've had her say "behind you" while I was sneaking around, and there was a guy walking past behind me. And that's happened more than once.

Also, the AI, while not quite as dynamic as that E3 video, has been pretty damn great from my experience. Flanking, sneaking up on you, running away if you're armed and they're not, etc. I've made guys surrender too (you beat them down, then aim a gun while they're trying to recover), though they always attack you if you don't execute them.

Though it sucks how they took out crouch running and apparently the ability to lock to cover.

zma1013

Seems to me that the original E3 live demo was staged in places with certain things like the ending gun grab and ensuing fight and stuff to you know, make the ending all cool and stuff but the actual extended demo looked like it was all done without staging or scripting as it wasn't quite as perfect showing as the E3 stage demo.

vvise

I didn't feel like the AI was nearly as bad as that video. I played the game on Hard if that matters but maybe it just seemed better because I didn't try to exploit it?

Dude you're just trying to pick everything apart for some agenda it seems. I don't know what to tell you. Ellie said similar things on several occasions when I burned 4+ enemies with a molotov.
Why would I have an agenda to shit on my favourite game? I'm just discussing the differences between the E3 showing and the final experience.

What is your argument in the end?

The game has all the constituent parts of what the demo playthrough shows so there is no deception going on from a feature perspective, but not every playthrough at home of every player will look as seamless as the E3 one?
Even if all the elements are still in the game (people assure me they are), the way they blend together in that E3 demo is too good to be true. So many impressive things condensed into a few minutes with not a single funky moment. I've watched quite a few people playing the game now, and the level of seamlessness is much like Metalmurphy's footage. Generally great, but with occasional awkward bits. But it's not like the E3 demo. That felt like a step above simply because it had zero errors and so many impressive elements condensed. That's all I'm saying.

I've had her say "behind you" while I was sneaking around, and there was a guy walking past behind me. And that's happened more than once.

Also, the AI, while not quite as dynamic as that E3 video, has been pretty damn great from my experience. Flanking, sneaking up on you, running away if you're armed and they're not, etc. I've made guys surrender too (you beat them down, then aim a gun while they're trying to recover), though they always attack you if you don't execute them.

yeah i always had listen mode off and this confused me the first few times. if ellie was in position to see someone flanking me even shed tell me on your right or left behind you happened the most. and a couple of times when i completely did right and overpowered everyone id hit the last guy with a melee he'd fall to his knees and get all beggy. i thought something significant was going on the first time. but after a few moments he gathered his gutso back up

KTallguy

Banned
My experience was really the opposite. I felt like the AI was pretty smart in most instances. That being said, enemies that run away are really annoying for players. Having some people run right at you is part of enemy variety.

If the system was more open world, enemies could just "run away" completely, which would be interesting/acceptable. But because the combat environments are set and linear in progression, you have to allow players to win.

I think I encountered a few glitchy instances with the guys not behaving properly. There was one part where I led them all to a single window and just gunned them down as they walked through. In another instance, Ellie was blocking 3 guys from getting down the stairs to kill me, as I hid under the staircase and watched. It was ... silly. But outside of 2-3 instances I really enjoyed the AI.

kuYuri

The AI searching through drawers was clearly scripted for that E32012 demo, not something dynamic that ND threw in. It's a nitpick at best.

But as others have said multiple times, alot of those things do happen, just not as perfect or seamless as the E3/PAX demo. I can't recall ever being grabbed from behind, but I've definitely done the brick beatdown and have heard the AI say something along the lines of "he's got a gun!"

I'm not going to say the AI is perfect either, but definitely good. I'm playing it on Survivor now. The human AI is still pretty easy to stealth, but I often have a hard time stealthing a runner because they have super hearing on Survivor. I've tried varying degrees of tilting the stick while crouch walking and it seems hit and miss still when they hear me.

meta4

Damn. I'm yet to start, and that video is pretty disappointing.

Yeah that vid has been recorded in a way to aggregate glitches that are found in every game. Here is a vid of the playthrough by Metalmurphy. This game has more ambitious AI than any game this gen.

Here's a quick video on survivor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ0ZBGkEUU&hd=1 (warning, contains graphic scenes)

I'll try to do some more later.

But seriously, play the game before making judgment. Yes there will be awkward moments with AI, there's those in like every game, but this game has some of the best AI in any video game around.

brentech

There's no way this recording is even played on normal.
Looks nothing like my normal play through. And absolutely no where close to survival.

No one ever just stood in front of me as they do around 1:15 of that video. Constantly heard "he's got a gun" and then taking position while sometime others flanked. Something seems really odd about what was recorded there.
At the very least, if the enemy had a non-melee weapon, they took cover before engaging you. Especially if you held a guy hostage.

but yes, I never saw someone going through a drawer.

I definitely had multiple times where she has told me. 'there's a guy on your left' or 'a guy behind you'.

aristotle

Why would I have an agenda to shit on my favourite game? I'm just discussing the differences between the E3 showing and the final experience.

Even if all the elements are still in the game (people assure me they are), the way they blend together in that E3 demo is too good to be true. So many impressive things condensed into a few minutes with not a single funky moment. I've watched quite a few people playing the game now, and the level of seamlessness is much like Metalmurphy's footage. Generally great, but with occasional awkward bits. But it's not like the E3 demo. That felt like a step above simply because it had zero errors and so many impressive elements condensed. That's all I'm saying.

It's dynamic AI. What's so hard to understand? Every single encounter will be different for everyone. I bet if you played that portion exactly like they did for E3 it would play out differently. Before you post this though, you kept glossing over that people refuted that the encounters they had actually happened to them. You came across like you thought people were pulling your leg for some reason, that you didn't believe it. I don't know why. I guarantee you if you play the game more you'll find almost everything you pointed out happens to you over time.

It's dynamic AI. What's so hard to understand? Every single encounter will be different for everyone. I bet if you played that portion exactly like they did for E3 it would play out differently. Before you post this though, you kept glossing over that people refuted that the encounters they had actually happened to them. You came across like you thought people were pulling your leg for some reason, that you didn't believe it. I don't know why. I guarantee you if you play the game more you'll find almost everything you pointed out happens to you over time.

I don't even know what the OP's point is anymore. Metalmurphy's video is all that needs to be seen.

It was obvious that the game is dynamic. How could someone expect their gameplay session to happen exactly like the way it did in E3?? The fact that it's an open environment makes it sort of impossible .

Here's a quick video on survivor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ0ZBGkEUU&hd=1 (warning, contains graphic scenes)

I'll try to do some more later.

But seriously, play the game before making judgment. Yes there will be awkward moments with AI, there's those in like every game, but this game has some of the best AI in any video game around.

So the same, go out of cover stay totally in the open for 5 seconds then going back to cover like Uncharted 3?

Yeah, the A.I is more refined than in most games, but is also as dumb like in uncharted. Damn, and people say bad things about Platinum Games fans....

Lord Phol

How do you define bad?

For me, good AI is not about how realistically it reacts to normal stimuli (ie - like real life), rather, how well it works within the confines of the games systems. There is a big difference between sensitive AI and AI designed for fun.

The AI in The Last of Us works brilliantly, I think, offering a perfect blend of semi-realistic behavior with patterns and reactions that allow the player a proper chance at success.

I think ur being overly generous, the game is way too easy. The realism part hurts the immersion but even without that the enemies are just so easy to dispatch silently one by one. The game is fun but the A.I could surely have been improved for some added challenge.
It was also kind of weird seeing ellie running around all over the place in front of enemies and what not, without the enemies reacting at all.

I have updated the front page with MM's "Survival" playthrough. As for the discrepancy between the E3 and final copy - what makes it so disappointing was the fact that the Uncharted 2's helicopter to collapsing building played EXACTLY as it was advertised. There was NOTHING that was changed. This goes double for the train sequence!

Because TLOU is directed by the same team, it only makes sense that we put them up to a higher pedestal and gave them the benefit of the doubt. It was "live" gameplay and NeoGAF and many other forums went to a complete meltdown debating whether the gameplay would live up to its expectations. Heck, even Arne at one point came to defend the product entirely. Considering how insane the production values that led up to Uncharted 2 (and better yet, DELIVERING on the actual product). It's disappointing to say the least that a lot of modifications were in place to the state that it is right now.

This, unfortunately, despite its rave reviews can't deny that this is still an egg on their face. It's no wonder impressions were all over the place and very few emphasize on the AI which is what got people talking about the game in the first place. That's not to say the AI is bad (I know, I've played it on Hard) it's pretty much the frontrunner of the best AI this gen which really isn't saying a lot. T

brentech

I think ur being overly generous, the game is way too easy. The realism part hurts the immersion but even without that the enemies are just so easy to dispatch silently one by one. The game is fun but the A.I could surely have been improved for some added challenge.
It was also kind of weird seeing ellie running around all over the place in front of enemies and what not, without the enemies reacting at all.

That's not an AI issue. That's a design choice they made. I do agree with calling that a flaw though. But they clearly didn't want you to have to leave her behind or constantly have her break your huge stealth gains.

Seems she's programmed to just not have any effect on AI unless she takes action on them.

aristotle

So the same, go out of cover stay totally in the open for 5 seconds then going back to cover like Uncharted 3?

Yeah, the A.I is more refined than in most games, but is also as dumb like in uncharted. Damn, and people say bad things about Platinum Games fans....

You're flat out trolling right now. Talk about baseless assumptions. But you watched a video, you must know everything about this game. Carry on :)

I have updated the front page with MM's "Survival" playthrough. As for the discrepancy between the E3 and final copy - what makes it so disappointing was the fact that the Uncharted 2's helicopter to collapsing building played EXACTLY as it was advertised. There was NOTHING that was changed. This goes double for the train sequence!

Because TLOU is directed by the same team, it only makes sense that we put them up to a higher pedestal and gave them the benefit of the doubt. It was "live" gameplay and NeoGAF and many other forums went to a complete meltdown debating whether the gameplay would live up to its expectations. Heck, even Arne at one point came to defend the product entirely.

This, unfortunately, despite its rave reviews is still an egg on their face. It's no wonder impressions were all over the place and very few emphasize on the AI which is what got people talking about the game in the first place.

Sorry but almost no one agrees with you here apparently who has played the game. You should look up what context sensitive AI & dynamic AI actually means before spreading FUD.

antitrop

I agree, Citizen Kane would have been better in color.

This is all in your head.

I understand that it is dynamic AI. I believe that most of the elements shown are still in the final game. I'm saying that the E3 playthrough was not totally honest because it was too perfect.

That was the point. Just play the game. It's going to win a lot of GOTY awards for a reason.

Yes it will because Naughty Dog makes the game. Not because the game deserves it.

The gaming press will ignore the horrific IQ, Bad Ai and generic gameplay all because their favorite sweetheart developer made it.

You're flat out trolling right now. Talk about baseless assumptions. But you watched a video, you must know everything about this game. Carry on :)

People were saying to watch Metalmurphy video to see how awesome the A.I is, but now is not enough?

OK, yeah the A.I reacts on a lot of parameters, yeah it still has still a lot of the quirks and dumb things the A.I had in Uncharted. I don't know why they are suposed to be exclusive.

Sorry but almost no one agrees with you here apparently who has played the game. You should look up what context sensitive AI & dynamic AI actually means before spreading FUD.

Please elaborate on this issue. I don't remember saying anything to the contrary. Just because I'm downplaying the AI is not a denial of the "type" of AI in place - in this case, context & dynamic. They're still lacking compared to E3, which is NOT to say they are terrible but that goes to show how far the E3 demo is ahead IMO.

brentech

This is all in your head.

I understand that it is dynamic AI. I believe that most of the elements shown are still in the final game. I'm saying that the E3 playthrough was not totally honest because it was too perfect.

as they ran the same demo on television and other places (and it looked exactly the same), I would say that was well known. any time I saw them preview it for someone, it looked like the exact same bit.

Same with U3. Where they had drake escaping a fire. Must have seen the same thing shown a handful of times on different shows/showings. And even at those locations whatever they were running through ended with a start menu like screen. So it's definitely programmed to show up to a certain point.

They probably lay out what they want to show, and when a certain action is taken, it cuts to black, then to splash screen.

Yes it will because Naughty Dog makes the game. Not because the game deserves it.

The gaming press will ignore the horrific IQ, Bad Ai and generic gameplay all because their favorite sweetheart developer made it.

Child, please.
Seriously? Seriously....

zma1013

As opposed to the alternative where she runs all around and blows your cover every single time you tried to stealth? Yes it is weird to see, but somehow I'm guessing everyone would be complaining endlessly if she did that as you have zero control over her. They would have to add some commands or something in the game where you could direct her around and tell her to hide or stay put or follow you or whatever, although I don't think that's the route they wanted the game to go.

Playing on hard is challenging and fun for me. Can't sneak up on someone without alerting someone else (at least in the later levels). The AI may not act like the E3 demo all the time, but i have encountered the majority of what was shown in the demo. Personally I feel they shouldn't all act the same way [unarmed opponent runs and hides if you point a gun] in every situation either. Some people aren't afraid to go up against someone without a gun if they have the right angle or distance between them. I certainly have tried to bum rush an armed enemy (with varying levels of success) depending on distance, reserves or state of mind.

Forgive me for asking if you already answered but are you using listening mode. I'm not, so the extra bit of challenge is there if your willing to try it.

I do agree that it is weird for Ellie to be visible only if the enemy AIs are alerted to Joel's presence. But at the same time I would be pissed if she kept fucking up my strategy. Maybe that's in EXTREME mode :/

Lucent

I've definitely seen the AI run in fear, I think the reason for their fearlessness in the video is the fact that they have strength in numbers. Searching drawers, some environmental bits and the gun grab from the side all seem to be MIA though.

Regardless, this game's AI is still leaps ahead of almost anything else out there. It just gets nitpicked more because of the hype and the e3 demo being toned down. Video game AI 20 years from now will still have occasional AI quirks.

Yeah that video though...I've never had the AI act that stupid on mine in Hard mode (which is the only mode I've played so far). They def don't stand there and take it and they def seemed to dynamically take cover and all that. Sure, it's not as good as the E3 demo, but I feel that guy's game must've been going screwy or something. Never had them just stand there when Joel was clearly in view.

brentech

Yeah that video though...I've never had the AI act that stupid on mine in Hard mode (which is the only mode I've played so far). They def don't stand there and take it and they def seemed to dynamically take cover and all that. Sure, it's not as good as the E3 demo, but I feel that guy's game must've been going screwy or something. Never had them just stand there when Joel was clearly in view.

Yeah, just standing and not rushing you or taking cover just seems like something went wrong there. Never came across that, that's for sure.

Vashetti

Banned

People keep saying this.

Configure your TV/monitor correctly.

The game looks absolutely stunning on my 47" 1080p TV.

Sean

Banned
As opposed to the alternative where she runs all around and blows your cover every single time you tried to stealth? Yes it is weird to see, but somehow I'm guessing everyone would be complaining endlessly if she did that as you have zero control over her. They would have to add some commands or something in the game where you could direct her around and tell her to hide or stay put or follow you or whatever, although I don't think that's the route they wanted the game to go.

What they have is the better of those two options, but I think they could've reached some middle ground to make things realistic and avoid all this immersion breaking stuff.

Just have Ellie hide under a desk, staircase, or closet or something until the area is clear. I feel like that's what Joel would do rather than exposing her to bullet fire and a dozen guys with metal pipes.

People keep saying this.

Configure your TV/monitor correctly.

The game looks absolutely stunning on my 47" 1080p TV.

For real. It doesn't look perfect (dark scenes look pretty bad because of crushed black levels) but people are really exaggerating how bad it is.

Child please. Have you ever laid your hands on a dual shock controller?

I discovered another article that focuses on this particular issue:

What happened to The Last of US AI ?

Prior to the game’s release, Naughty Dog showcased some elements of the game, and apart from the visuals, that immediately impressed at a cursory glance, it was the behaviour of the enemies that left a lot of gamers excited. The A.I in this game was supposed to be a far cry from what we gamers have come to experience and from the brief glimpse that we had of the game, the enemies appeared to behave very dynamically and realistically. However, having completed the game on Hard, it appears that in reality, the A.I leaves a lot to be desired even by current standards let alone the lofty expectations we had as a result of Naughty Dog’s representations.

“We can have characters that are not just pop up targets that die after five seconds of being on screen, and you can really get to understand them as real humans”- Jason Gregory, Lead Designer

Contrary to Jason Gregory’s statements above, our play-through left us feeling the complete opposite. The characters in the game do feel like cannon-fodder, there is no real avenue to understand them as ‘real humans’ because simply put, their A.I behaviour breaks the illusion of any real humanity within them. The game’s A.I don’t appear to be able to discern the presence of any of your friendly comrades that accompany you throughout the game. So whilst you might be sneaking around, hiding behind cover and being ultra stealthy against human enemies, your A.I comrades have a tendency to take cover in the most inappropriate of places, or not even take cover at all and just run around in circles.

“It’s all based on their perception, and they’ll switch behavioral modes based on what’s going on,”

This statement by Jason is simply not true. Yes, the game’s A.I does tend to respond to your behaviour but it only does so in a rudimentary fashion; similar to the manner in which the enemies behaved in games like Uncharted and the like. We really don’t want to critique an otherwise sublime gaming experience, which we easily hold us as one of the best, if not the best experience this generation, but it really is a shame that a fault as big as this made its way over to the final game; it can really detract from the experience and break the immersion that the game does so well otherwise to instill. To be fair however, realistic Artificial Intelligence is the hardest thing to develop and Naughty Dog should get the benefit of the doubt in this regard. The game is otherwise fantastic and you owe it to yourself to play this game, regardless of the somewhat dense inhabitants that feature in it!

Oct 2012 article with Lead Programmer on "AI" (reference to the article above.)

The Last of Us: AI so good you’ll weep when you kill it

Gold_Loot

I've seen most of that stuff in my playthrough. I've certainly had Ellie warn me about a guy getting ready to attack me on several occasions.
Yep same here. I've had people try to grab my bat and wrestle me over it like the shotgun in the demo as well .

zma1013

What they have is the better of those two options, but I think they could've reached some middle ground to make things realistic and avoid all this immersion breaking stuff.

Just have Ellie hide under a desk, staircase, or closet or something until the area is clear. I feel like that's what Joel would do rather than exposing her to bullet fire and a dozen guys with metal pipes.

Perhaps in the beginning, but as the journey goes on, it's an increasing focus of the game and story that Ellie and Joel need each other to survive through things which makes it more necessary and logical for her to help him in combat.

Even if you ignored that, you still have several moments through the game where you have perfectly able adults following you around that absolutely should be helping you kill people. It would be kind of silly if Joel told his buddy in the trap town to hide until he kills everything.

zma1013

Yep same here. I've had people try to grab my bat and wrestle me over it like the shotgun in the demo as well .

So you have certainly had them try to grab your stuff? Any idea what you're doing when it triggers that? That's one thing I have yet to see but I'm certainly not going to say it's not possible because I was never grabbed from behind either but clearly you can be grabbed going from other accounts.

EDIT: Sorry for the back to back posts.

So you have certainly had them try to grab your stuff? Any idea what you're doing when it triggers that? That's one thing I have yet to see but I'm certainly not going to say it's not possible because I was never grabbed from behind either but clearly you can be grabbed going from other accounts.

EDIT: Sorry for the back to back posts.

I've had someone grab my rifle too with the same struggling animation, I'm pretty sure I tried to shoot it and it didn't work though, or maybe I was out of bullets. I don't remember.

Wow I forget how great the demo video was. Sound design, graphics, everything is just way better and more intense. It's almost as bad as if they just ran CG and called it realtime.

Game is great and all, but it isn't what I was expecting from viewing the demo. That demo is a next gen game and we got a current gen game. Maybe on PS4 Naughty dog can truly deliver something special.

Top Bottom