• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Naughty Dog has essentially created FOUR distinct modes for the game to run in now, but they're locking them away from the end user purely by their choice of TV. I've never seen anything like it.

I can only hope that in the coming days we'll get a statement from them that basically amounts to "Oops, there was a typo in the code, we're fixing it lol", because the current situation is baffling.

Melchiah

Naughty Dog has essentially created FOUR distinct modes for the game to run in now, but they're locking them away from the end user purely by their choice of TV. I've never seen anything like it.

I can only hope that in the coming days we'll get a statement from them that basically amounts to "Oops, there was a typo in the code, we're fixing it lol", because the current situation is baffling.

That's what makes it so infuriating. The 1080p Pro owners are essentially second class customers at the moment.

Yarbskoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

There is Tom's video. Now you can stop blaming DF for this issue.

Naughty Dog COMPLETELY fixed the frame-rate when running at 1800p (the 4K mode). It's buttery smooth and better than it has ever been.

They didn't remove super-sampling to improve performance. That is the take-away here. They actually went in and solved the real problem.

Which completely changes this issue - why on earth would they remove super-sampling if they solved the performance problems then? THAT is what does not make any sense. IT's either a bug or...I dunno, I can't explain it. It is wrong of them to do that. They definitely dropped the ball here.

I still think Sony needs to implement this feature at an OS level and let users decide for all games.

So they fixed it.

Then they broke it.

What were they thinking?

On the one hand, I'm glad I can play with a completely locked framerate and shadows that are glitchy, yet high res.

On the other hand, why is there no real high quality mode for 1080p users? As it is now, it's an option that no one should ever use.

ItIsOkBro

It makes me think there's something wrong with the Pro where removing downsampling fixed the 4k framerate..but that doesn't make sense.... But then why the fuck else?

Nice video from DF. They also mentioned high quality shadow issue :)

This is what ND should to to keep everyone happy, especially 1080p screen users.

• Bring back 4K downsampling with 30fps lock for 1080p screens.
  • 2 options for 60fps mode. 1800p downsampled with a few fps drops and native 1080p with highest most stable fps ever in TLoU.
  • Fix high quality shadow glitches and/or give option to return to low quality shadows.

Clockwork

The only thing coming to mind about this would be a 1080p enhanced mode (with better effects, etc). But that's not the case here, and it sounds dumb to purposely make a 1080p mode without enhancement over a default 1800c framebuffer for everyone with a pro.

So, it makes absolutely no sense.

The enhanced mode is that you get better shadows at 60fps. On regular PS4 that was only available via 30fps mode.

Who cares about shadows when all you notice is shimmering crap everywhere?

Hyperbole. People praised this game when it was released on PS4 and now people want to apply revisionist history to say it only looked good with supersampling. Come on.

I still think it sucks that this happened, but let's not pretend the game looks like shit or that you get no benefit running it on Pro whatsoever.

Surfheart

I was on the fence about upgrading to a pro as I don't have a budget for a 4K TV and tech like HDR seems in its infancy with current sets.

Then I saw all the talk from Sony, tech sites and here on GAF about super sampling for 1080p TV owners and it sold me on one.

I really hope there is not a technical reason for this change, after all ND's other game still offers super sampling for 1080p owners...

Ricky_R

Wait, if they can get the 1800p / 60fps version running nicely, why can't they do so for the 1080p downsample version as well?

I was under the impression that both ran generally the same (performance wise).

Soulja

Very disappointing if this is going to be a common practice now. I mainly bought my pro for the extra bells and whistles in 1080p but if they're going to be removed I might as well sell my pro!

t hicks

Banned
Man it's such BS that they did this, as someone who only has a 1080p tv right now i was really looking forward to playing it again with the supersampling :/ Really hope they come out and say something soon

RAWRferal

With this, TLG and another game I can't remember now, I'm starting to think that Sony realised how sexual supersampling looks on a 1080p TV and now they're getting devs to disable it as part of a conspiracy to push 4k TV sales.

/s... Kinda :p

Vaga

With this, TLG and another game I can't remember now, I'm starting to think that Sony realised how sexual supersampling looks on a 1080p TV and now they're getting devs to disable it as part of a conspiracy to push 4k TV sales.

/s... Kinda :p

That might have an ounce of sense if Sony were the only suppliers of 4k tv but that is not the case, even more Sony TVs aren't even that good, Samsung and LG are dominating the market for some years and looks like that won't change any time soon.

But yes in the long run continuing this kind of practice might push a small percentage of 4k sales in their favour.

Still a fucking despicable move if you think about it.

ctfg23

Sony should add an option to force the console to run as if it's connected to a 4K display while on a 1080p display so that devs can't do shit like this.

onQ123

Very disappointing if this is going to be a common practice now. I mainly bought my pro for the extra bells and whistles in 1080p but if they're going to be removed I might as well sell my pro!

You get 2x the frame rate in high shadow mode at 1080P vs the standard PS4.

Nice video from DF. They also mentioned high quality shadow issue :)

This is what ND should to to keep everyone happy, especially 1080p screen users.

• Bring back 4K downsampling with 30fps lock for 1080p screens.
  • 2 options for 60fps mode. 1800p downsampled with a few fps drops and native 1080p with highest most stable fps ever in TLoU.
  • Fix high quality shadow glitches and/or give option to return to low quality shadows.

ND & Sony, take note please.

Hyperbole. People praised this game when it was released on PS4 and now people want to apply revisionist history to say it only looked good with supersampling. Come on.

I still think it sucks that this happened, but let's not pretend the game looks like shit or that you get no benefit running it on Pro whatsoever.

True ;P. It's a good looking game. But on my HD projector the jaggies are more apparent.

Arne used to be open & communicative back in the day (UC2 era)... I don't know what the hell is wrong with ND these days. :\

Kinyou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

There is Tom's video. Now you can stop blaming DF for this issue.

Naughty Dog COMPLETELY fixed the frame-rate when running at 1800p (the 4K mode). It's buttery smooth and better than it has ever been.

They didn't remove super-sampling to improve performance. That is the take-away here. They actually went in and solved the real problem.

Which completely changes this issue - why on earth would they remove super-sampling if they solved the performance problems then? THAT is what does not make any sense. IT's either a bug or...I dunno, I can't explain it. It is wrong of them to do that. They definitely dropped the ball here.

I still think Sony needs to implement this feature at an OS level and let users decide for all games.
Just what in the world is going on? This is super weird

onQ123

And a lot of jaggies. OG PS4 was fine at 1080p.

What? you talk as if the OG PS4 somehow look better than PS4 Pro at 1080p

I'd also like supersampling if there is no reason for it not to be re added.

Improved shadows vs. Dramatically improved IQ.

I know which one wins for me.

I was responding to the comment about buying the PS4 Pro for bells & whistles at 1080p. double the frame rate seem like bells & whistles to me, I'm not saying it was a better trade off I'm just saying that PS4 Pro still has bells & whistles for 1080p owners.

Funny how people went on about how they would rather have 1080P 60fps over 4K months ago when they 1st heard about the PS4 Pro but when a dev give them locked 60fps at 1080p no one seem to be happy about it & ignore that it even exist.

Most likely there is some head room left over from not using a brute force AA solution like super sampling & they can still clean up the game.

Top Bottom