• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Kinyou

Before anybody jumbles up my words, I want to make it clear that I want supersampling for 1080p guys just like anybody else, but we have to give the devs some slack here. They are offering a locked 60fps at 1080p with better visuals, what DF mandated was suppose to be done was done, hell, they have a better performing game also and a better looking game over OG PS4 at 1800p 60fps, and third, they have a much better looking game at 4k 30fps without a dream of a dip on the Pro over OG PS4. How is that for living up to the SONY mandate? So no, you can't raise pitch forks again, when they've done everything you've asked. You can ask about the downsampling and bring it to their attention, it most probably is something they forgot to check back in being the busy guys that they are, but there is certainly no reason for anyone to have pitchforks...I mean people are actually saying that ND is giving them the finger by giving them a 1080 locked 60fps with better shadows, this is straight bonkers.....Didn't people see the other thread where people were asking for just that, or hell, OG PS4 60fps mode as an option....? I just can can't believe.......
That's the thing, people wanted options. Not just a mandate for everyone, especially since they now improved the 1800p framerate.
And people probably also simply don't have as much faith as you do that it will be addressed again. Without any communication from ND we don't what they're planning to do.

That Last Guardian apparently does the same is worrisome as well

I mean people are actually saying that ND is giving them the finger by giving them a 1080 locked 60fps with better shadows, this is straight bonkers.....Didn't people see the other thread where people were asking for just that, or hell, OG PS4 60fps mode as an option....? I just can can't believe......

They are giving us the finger by taking away one thing to fix another. It's not like they scaled down something minor to fix the framerate. They downgraded the overall image quality of the game (for 1080p Pro Owners)for fucks sake.

Kaleinc

Banned
There is an easy fix. Download PS inspector on the store and force SGSSAA but you need to know AA compatibility bit.

KORNdoggy

They are giving us the finger by taking away one thing to fix another. It's not like they scaled down something minor to fix the framerate. They downgraded the overall image quality of the game (for 1080p Pro Owners)for fucks sake.

they didn't even do that. performance is fixed regardless of resolution. which means they took out supersampling on 1080p displays for...shits and giggles? god knows.

NXGamer

That's the thing, people wanted options. Not just a mandate for everyone, especially since they now improved the 1800p framerate.
And people probably also simply don't have as much faith as you do that it will be addressed again. Without any communication from ND we don't what they're planning to do.

It is not worrisome, I said some time ago that this would become an O/S managed option.

The logic loop on the code checks your output settings from a call or a .ini or xml file. Then based on this set the internal render options accordingly

Having developers place this call into a games boot is quick/simple and solves most of the issues with it, remember these are console gamers not Pc players.

Some may add in other options like we saw in ROTTR and even this title for a 30/60 choice. This is all still early days you have to give all teams time to plan,adapt and change as needed. Under The output settings under auto or 1080p you could have a sub option to enable SSR (super sampling render) to force the downscale. This could then work with the same logic call at the start, but it will add complexity for some.

I think what the team have done here is commendable in I am sure a limited budget and time. Near locked 60@1800p and native 4k locked 30 are great options indeed for consoles in this gen.

they didn't even do that. performance is fixed regardless of resolution. which means they took out supersampling on 1080p displays for...shits and giggles? god knows.

They still fucked over 1080p pro owners with the omission of it after the patch. Plus it being removed from advertising materials makes it seem that the removal was deliberate.

black070

1080p locked 60fps > 1800p more consistent 60fps over base PS4 - so yes, they did do that.

Jacob4815

No update from ND or Sony yet? Come on, Neil... I know you're reading. ;)

You could try to contact Arne, he's reading us and in the past he was very very friendly and open towards the users.
I think that some words from a developer ora a ND man could help to calm down the rage.

Was there any explanation or confirmation that they'd be addressing the framerate issues in the first place ? No ? Then relax, silence doesn't mean it can't get addressed. Before this patch many people were breathing down their necks about how dumbfounded forced supersampling is, how they'd rather just switch back to base mode, and how 1080p users have to suffer the consequences of 4K improvements - to act like this hasn't been the case is honestly laughable considering its all people have been rambling on about since the Pro's announcement. That last part doesn't necessarily relate to you, but just the general stance of this whole thread. They've given 1080p users the best framerate option of the pack at a locked 60, to not have provided an option is silly, and to have removed supersampling at 30fps is beyond ridiculous, but to act like this is all some elaborate scheme by Sony to sell 4K TV's is just ludicrous.

So I'll say it again....Why is there a 1800p @ (almost most of the time) 60fps for owners with a 4K TV and there isn't for owners with a 1080p TV.

End of. Can you answer that?

black070

So I'll say it again....Why is there a 1800p @ (almost most of the time) 60fps for owners with a 4K TV and there isn't for owners with a 1080p TV.

End of. Can you answer that?

Because Naughty Dog and Sony are in cahoots to force us all into buying 4K TV's ofcourse.

Alej

Banned

I don't want options sorry.

That's why i think improving internal res to 2160p or 2160c should be mandated by Sony. So, everyone with a pro gets the same benefits. And the message behind PRO becomes intelligible.

Then, after that, devs do what they want with what remains.

Options are shit.

Kinyou

It is not worrisome, I said some time ago that this would become an O/S managed option.

The logic loop on the code checks your output settings from a call or a .ini or xml file. Then based on this set the internal render options accordingly

Having developers place this call into a games boot is quick/simple and solves most of the issues with it, remember these are console gamers not Pc players.

Some may add in other options like we saw in ROTTR and even this title for a 30/60 choice. This is all still early days you have to give all teams time to plan,adapt and change as needed. Under The output settings under auto or 1080p you could have a sub option to enable SSR (super sampling render) to force the downscale. This could then work with the same logic call at the start, but it will add complexity for some.

I think what the team have done here is commendable in I am sure a limited budget and time. Near locked 60@1800p and native 4k locked 30 are great options indeed for consoles in this gen.
Well that's something I'm surprised isn't part of Ps4 ui in the first place. It would be the easiest solution for everyone and also wouldn't bother those who play casually and might be confused by options. But considering how freaking long Sony took to even bring something like folders I don't have much faith that they'll add it any time soon.

black070

Yeah I didn't think so. Goodbye and thanks for your great input....

Just echoing your sentiments there buddy, a dumb question begs a dumb answer.

Why not take this conspiracy a step further, everyone without a Sony branded 4K TV should check whether the enhancements are still working. Or maybe all the TV manufacturers are in on it..

Just echoing your sentiments there buddy, a dumb question begs a dumb answer.

Why not take this conspiracy a step further, everyone without a Sony branded 4K TV should check whether the enhancements are still working. Or maybe all the TV manufacturers are in on it..

A dumb question you have an inability to respond to? Ok I get it. You only respond to well thought out questions that have meaning and purpose to the world...

Again. You couldn't answer the question and you've retorted with low end stupidity. Thanks.

You've still not answered the question and btw you aren't any form of judge and juror as to what a dumb question is, that's for sure....

I'll ask again, in a slightly differing manner just in case you're somehow confused and also to keep your shitalk on topic.

- Why is there a mode available to the 4K TV owners that is not available to 1080p TV owners, when that mode has NO REASON FOR NOT WORKING on a 1080p TV?

black070

A dumb question you have an inability to respond to? Ok I get it. You only respond to well thought out questions that have meaning and purpose to the world...

Again. You couldn't answer the question and you've retorted with low end stupidity. Thanks.

You've still not answered the question and btw you aren't any form of judge and juror as to what a dumb question is, that's for sure....

I'll ask again, in a slightly differing manner just in case you're somehow confused and also to keep your shitalk on topic.

- Why is there a mode available to the 4K TV owners that is not available to 1080p TV owners, when that mode has NO REASON FOR NOT WORKING on a 1080p TV?

Here's a breakdown of events my misguided friend:
- The Last of Us gets patched for the Pro that forces supersampling on 1080p screens, with accompanying framerate issues.
- People go up in arms about being forced into such mode (e.g. http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...d/suggestions/17080876-framerate-drops-on-pro)
- Naughty Dog optimises patch to boost framerate at the 1800p mode, and removes supersampling at 1080p screens in favour of a locked 60fps (lesson alert, framerate is better at 1080p then it is even at 1800p now) i.e. addressing what was being asked of them.

Does that make sense ? Now to quickly test your reading comprehension, I've already said the lack of options and removing supersampling for 30fps are stupid moves too, but then (repeating myself again) they never vocally addressed the framerate issues until they patched it so them not responding to this issue doesn't mean they can't be looking into it.

If you're not content with that, then yes - Sony did it to sell 4K TV's, good day.

Jacob4815

- The Last of Us gets patched for the Pro that forces supersampling on 1080p screens, with accompanying framerate issues.
- People go up in arms about being forced into such mode (e.g. http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...d/suggestions/17080876-framerate-drops-on-pro)
- Naughty Dog optimises patch to boost framerate at the 1800p mode, and removes supersampling at 1080p screens in favour of a locked 60fps (lesson alert, framerate is better at 1080p then it is even at 1800p now) i.e. addressing what was being asked of them.

Does that make sense ? Now to quickly test your reading comprehension, I've already said the lack of options and removing supersampling for 30fps are stupid moves too, but then (repeating myself again) they never vocally addressed the framerate issues until they patched it so them not responding to this issue doesn't mean they can't be looking into it.

If you're not content with that, then yes - Sony did it to sell 4K TV's, good day.

I think that the conspiracy theory was fueled by the lack of options in The Last Guardian.

But in my opinion, after further analysis, the Last Guardian thing is a different case: it looks like the 4K mode is very rushed and the forced downsampled screens look like shit.
So maybe it was a good decision to keep the 1080p native mode.

But this doesn't change the focus of this thread: ND should hear the complaints and fix this non-sense.

black070

I think that the conspiracy theory was fueled by the lack of options in The Last Guardian.

But in my opinion, the Last Guardian thing is a different case: it looks like the 4K mode is very rushed and the forced downsampled screens look like shit.
So maybe it was a good decision to keep the 1080p native mode.

But this doesn't change the discussion of this thread: ND should hear the complaints and fix this non-sense.

This I agree with, here's hoping it gets addressed sooner rather then later.

So you're a Politician then? In other words you never seem to answer the question that has been asked but you've chosen a drivel a load of shit I already know.

What part about the 1800p at 60fps (that is almost locked) that runs on a 4K TV BUT NOT A 1080p TV do you not understand?

Which is pretty unbelievable when you're pointing out me as 'a lesson alert'. So perhaps you could do with testing your reading comprehension?

On a side note, I'm not interested in a 30fps mode for anything.

black070

So you're a Politician then? In other words you never seem to answer the question that has been asked but you've chosen a drivel a load of shit I already know.

What part about the 1800p at 60fps (that is almost locked) that runs on a 4K TV BUT NOT A 1080p TV do you not understand?

Which is pretty unbelievable when you're pointing out me as 'a lesson alert'. So perhaps you could do with testing your reading comprehension?

On a side note, I'm not interested in a 30fps mode for anything.

I don't know whether to laugh or sigh. I'll dumb it down further for you - they chose to prioritise a locked 60fps over supersampling for 1080p users, exactly as many wanted pre-patch. Once again, 1080p mode is not 1800p minus the supersampling, it's a separate mode with its own advantages (including high quality shadows) and disadvantages and is still enhanced compared to the base PS4. That they haven't allowed the option to choose between that or supersampling is a massive oversight that should and most likely will be addressed. If that doesn't register, then kindly refer to the last line of my previous response and stop repeating yourself, infact stop replying to me completely. If you want to believe it is a mass ploy to sell 4K TV's then be my guest.

Planet

it's a separate mode with its own advantages (including high quality shadows) and disadvantages (including high quality shadows) and is still enhanced compared to the base PS4.
FTFY!

Still, I am not content with the stale cookie I got, while the 4K users get premium sacher cake.

I don't know whether to laugh or sigh. I'll dumb it down further for you - they chose to prioritise a locked 60fps over supersampling for 1080p users, exactly as many wanted pre-patch. Once again, 1080p mode is not 1800p minus the supersampling, it's a separate mode with its own advantages (including high quality shadows) and disadvantages and is still enhanced compared to the base PS4. That they haven't allowed the option to choose between that or supersampling is a massive oversight that should and most likely will be addressed. If that doesn't register, then kindly refer to the last line of my previous response and stop repeating yourself, infact stop replying to me completely. If you want to believe it is a mass ploy to sell 4K TV's then be my guest.

What on earth makes you believe I don't understand the options they have given us?

So perhaps I should laugh or sigh? Unbelievable...

And here with have it. Your answer to my question after back of forth you trying to be a smart arse. Well done you!

You believe its a massive oversight and that will most likely be addressed.

Cool. Why not say that in the first place?

Btw, what will your answer be IF they don't address this massive oversight? I'll bookmark this for future reference.

Thanks.

black070

FTFY!

Still, I am not content with the stale cookie I got, while the 4K users get premium sacher cake.

Lol, I completed my 30fps playthrough and noticed it in a few spots - so I can relate to that one. For the most part it works really well at keeping the overall presentation clean, when it doesn't, it can be immersion breaking.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How did black070 last a year on this forum?

That's really too bad, after being so impressed with how amazing the supersampling made Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4 look on the Pro, and having never played TLFO, I was excited to play it sometime down the line, with that same crisp on a 1080p set.

But there is nothing malicious going on, and I am assuming its a technical and creative decision. You don't have options on Uncharted 4, it's just supersampled. But The Last of Us, isn't. So, clearly they are not against the idea of supersampling for 1080p users, at all. They just appear to be against the idea of offering options which is understandable.

The decision not to give too many options is probably the smarter thing to do. Keep the game on the player of the mind, not technical details they would not consider otherwise, or perhaps even notice. Most console gamers want to pop in a game and just enjoy. I think tinkering with options betrays the elegant and simple ideal behind consoles, one of its main attractions and big selling point. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Sony themselves are discouraging developers from offering more than a single GFX option. You have to remember these decision are being made for the mass market, not for relatively meagre number of passionate gafers.

sn0man

That's really too bad, after being so impressed with how amazing the supersampling made Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4 look on the Pro, and having never played TLFO, I was excited to play it sometime down the line, with that same crisp on a 1080p set.

But there is nothing malicious going on, and I am assuming its a technical and creative decision. You don't have options on Uncharted 4, it's just supersampled. But The Last of Us, isn't. So, clearly they are not against the idea of supersampling for 1080p users, at all. They just appear to be against the idea of offering options which is understandable.

The decision not to give too many options is probably the smarter thing to do. Keep the game on the player of the mind, not technical details they would not consider otherwise, or perhaps even notice.

As many in this thread have said, ND is very busy with TLOU II, UC4 DLC, and removing SS from TLOU-R. I'm sure that if we give them time they will remove SS from UC4 as well.
/s

Seriously, I see your point about options but the 1080p 30FPS SS from 4K mode just worked before this patch. Restoring that option is the minimum they should do. I could see the 1800p 60fps mode being difficult for them to recreate if they've used every bit of power the PS4 Pro has to offer by upping the framerate and there is no overhead left for downsampling. If that is truly the case, however, they should offer 1080p players a 60fps 1440p SS option.

The Beard

His question is completely valid and you're acting like an angry child about it. Grow up.

black070

There is no doubt that someone from Naughty Dog is reading this thread. They are well aware of the situation.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. We have to remember that there was no official comment on the framerate issues either - if they had malicious intent, they would have done the same with Uncharted 4. Hell, every first party title would be doing the same if it was a change in Sony mandate. Keep voicing your dissatisfaction though, I have been voting on each new feedback regarding the issue with you all.

This still hasn't been fixed? For fucks sake, what the hell are Sony playing at.

Between this and The Last Guardian lacking supersampling Sony look (fairly or unfairly) to have completely buggered up how they're handling Pro upgrades for the vast majority of their audience when it comes to first party titles.

Having a premium console that can't quite do real 4K and has little to no image quality improvement at 1080p kind of begs the question or why the hell the Pro even exists, and sets an incredibly bad precedent for future titles possibly getting the same non-upgrades.

Planet

Just checked, and there might be something happening. I got 6 of my votes back, means they dismissed two of those topics I gave 3 votes each. But they kept the most reasonably written one, which I linked earlier in this thread. I can still see it in my settings, and it doesn't just have over 600 votes, it has 1116!

When I click on it, it still says "awaiting moderator approval", but it still exists. Maybe they deleted the more zany ones and kept this one to discuss? I sure hope they make a statement soon.

EDIT: made the picture clickable, links to the Topic in question, maybe it will become accessible again eventually.

rec0ded1

I think game updates will download none the less. especially for the last few games played.

I want down sampling.

I haven't updated. Everytime I launch it and it starts the download and I jump to the menu and cancel/delete it and launch the game. It's annoying but got to have my sweet visuals.

I also love 60fps. Sophie's choice

black070

Just checked, and there might be something happening. I got 6 of my votes back, means they dismissed two of those topics I gave 3 votes each. But they kept the most reasonably written one, which I linked earlier in this thread. I can still see it in my settings, and it doesn't just have over 600 votes, it has 1116!

When I click on it, it still says "awaiting moderator approval", but it still exists. Maybe they deleted the more zany ones and kept this one to discuss? I sure hope they make a statement soon.

EDIT: made the picture clickable, links to the Topic in question, maybe it will become accessible again eventually.

Awesome, like I said - I'd be surprised if they didn't know about it at this point.

Top Bottom